|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Juan escapes from prison, which state does he eventually end up in?
(c) North Dakota.
2. What does Mark's uncle offer Lupe?
(a) A job assisting him at his office.
(b) To pay for their wedding.
(c) To help Lupe get her teaching certificate.
(d) A new car in celebration of their engagement.
3. What household item does Salvador break at Lupe's house by falling on it?
(a) A small foot stool.
(b) The kitchen table.
(c) A vase that is a family heirloom.
(d) A chair.
4. What gift does Father Ryan thank Dona Margarita's son for?
(a) A new organ for the church.
(b) His financial donation.
(d) A new bible.
5. How long does Don Victor tell the priest and Salvador it will be before he gives them an answer regarding the proposal to Lupe?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) A week.
(d) Three days.
6. What are the men barbecuing at the reception?
(a) Beef and chicken.
(c) Pork and beef.
(d) Tongue and Pollo.
7. What is Lupe's initial reaction when she learns of Mark's strong desire to marry her?
(a) She is so excited.
(b) She is distressed and confused.
(c) She is nice but not interested,
(d) She realizes that Mark disgusts her.
8. What is the name of the attorney that Juan befriends?
(a) Fred Noon.
(b) Chuck Larson.
(c) Mark Able.
(d) Frank Stewart.
9. After Sophia's husband dies, where does she leave to go to?
(a) Puerto Rico.
(b) The coast.
(d) The United States.
10. When Lupe and her family finally find Don Manuel in California, what does he do for them?
(a) Helps them move to Colorado.
(b) Gets them all jobs.
(c) Buys them a new home.
(d) Helps them find Sophia.
11. What position does Juan hold the first day he works at the rock quarry?
(b) A foreman.
(c) Cafeteria worker.
(d) Powder man.
12. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
(a) His confession to murder.
(b) His previous time in prison for stealing.
(c) His career as a bootlegger.
(d) His dangerous past of gambling.
13. Why are Juan and Epitacio thrown into jail?
(a) For underage gambling.
(b) Because they did not show up to work.
(c) For stealing and selling copper ore.
(d) Because they stole food for their families.
14. Where does Salvador take Lupe so they can be more alone?
(a) Down by the waterfront.
(b) Behind some large trees.
(c) On a long walk.
(d) Into his car.
15. What excuse does Epitacio give Juan for leaving him back in Douglas, Arizona when they were younger?
(a) He says that Juan's mother called for him.
(b) He tells Juan that he thought Juan was free, so he left.
(c) Epitacio says he was tricked into going to Chicago.
(d) Epitacio said he was scared for his life and ran.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Juan go to find the two men that stole his money and cut his face when he first arrives in Los Angeles?
2. Why do the Mexican workers work under such horrible conditions?
3. How is Luisa's neighborhood described?
4. Why is Juan demoted his second day at the rock quarry?
5. What do the newlyweds talk about when they sneak off to be alone?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)