|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Salvador choose a ring for Lupe?
(a) His tailor.
(d) Dona Margarita.
2. When the Gomez family arrives in California, what do they learn about their daughter Sophia?
(a) She made it to California but died soon after.
(b) She did die at sea.
(c) She is alive and living in California.
(d) She is alive and is in Montana.
3. How does Lupe respond when Salvador asks her to dance at the dance hall?
(a) She admits that she cannot dance.
(b) She says she hates dancing.
(c) She says yes, of course.
(d) She tells him she is tired but maybe next time.
4. What state is the priest in when Salvador goes to find him to formerly propose?
(a) The priest is drunk.
(b) He is in confession with a church member.
(c) The priest is lamenting.
(d) He is deep in meditation and prayer.
5. What happens to Nellie while Domingo is in jail?
(a) She disappears without a trace.
(b) She decides to return to Chicago.
(c) She works hard to raise the bail to get Domingo out early.
(d) She gets very ill and dies.
6. What happens the day after Epitacio gambles away his paycheck?
(a) Both Juan and Epitacio do not show up to work.
(b) Epitacio works a double shift to earn his money back.
(c) Epitacio disappears.
(d) Juan goes and wins back all the lost money.
7. When Lupe wakes up on her wedding day, what initial thoughts run through her mind?
(a) She is angry that she has given in to the idea of marriage.
(b) She is so overjoyed and excited she can hardly wait.
(c) She is nervous but in a good way.
(d) She is somewhat unsure of her choice to marry Salvador.
8. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
(a) None of them like Juan at all.
(b) They do not ever want to be married.
(c) They are all already married or engaged.
(d) They will never be able to marry a man who gambles or drinks.
9. What is Archie's wedding gift to Salvador?
(a) A new house.
(b) A truck full of cattle.
(c) Better equipment for liquor making.
(d) A new car.
10. After Sophia's husband dies, where does she leave to go to?
(a) The United States.
(b) Puerto Rico.
(c) The coast.
11. What excuse does Epitacio give Juan for leaving him back in Douglas, Arizona when they were younger?
(a) Epitacio said he was scared for his life and ran.
(b) He tells Juan that he thought Juan was free, so he left.
(c) He says that Juan's mother called for him.
(d) Epitacio says he was tricked into going to Chicago.
12. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
(a) He must promise not to move away from Lupe's family.
(b) He must never get into trouble or hurt her daughter.
(c) He must take and care for liliies that came from her homeland.
(d) He and Lupe must not ever move back to Mexico.
13. What role is Lupe asked to play in the Cinco de Mayo celebration?
(a) She is asked to be the parade marshal.
(b) She is asked to ride a pony.
(c) She is asked to be a flag holder.
(d) She is asked to be the celebration's Queen.
14. Where is the barrel of whiskey located at the reception?
(a) It is right next to the food.
(b) It is hidden for those who want it.
(c) It is out on the table.
(d) It is in the kitchen.
15. What is Lupe's initial reaction when she learns of Mark's strong desire to marry her?
(a) She is distressed and confused.
(b) She is so excited.
(c) She realizes that Mark disgusts her.
(d) She is nice but not interested,
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two of Salvador's friends loan him money for his wedding celebration?
2. What is the name of the attorney that Juan befriends?
3. Who arrives at Dona Margarita's house and is mistaken for her husband?
4. What is inside the metal box that Sophia finds in her fireplace?
5. What is the name of the mine where Juan and Epitacio work in Arizona?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)