|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Domingo and Salvador end up in jail in Chapter 23?
(a) Domingo tells an undercover cop they are bootleggers.
(b) The two men get caught in an underground gambling ring.
(c) Salvador gets caught bootlegging.
(d) Domingo and Salvador get into a squabble at a pool hall.
2. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
(a) None of them like Juan at all.
(b) They are all already married or engaged.
(c) They will never be able to marry a man who gambles or drinks.
(d) They do not ever want to be married.
3. What does Victoriano use to funnel the gold he has found to speed up the collection process?
(a) A thick banana leaf.
(b) A bottle.
(c) A glass vase.
(d) A bull's horn.
4. Where in California is Juan headed to see his sick mother?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) San Diego.
(d) San Francisco.
5. What does Ojos Puros claim is the cause of Don Victor's fever?
(a) Lack of food.
(b) The gold.
6. Which two of Salvador's friends loan him money for his wedding celebration?
(a) Kenny and the old lady he sells liquor to.
(b) Victoriano and Fred.
(c) Archie and his tailor.
(d) Juan and Archie.
7. Why are Juan and Epitacio thrown into jail?
(a) For underage gambling.
(b) For stealing and selling copper ore.
(c) Because they did not show up to work.
(d) Because they stole food for their families.
8. What are the men barbecuing at the reception?
(b) Pork and beef.
(c) Tongue and Pollo.
(d) Beef and chicken.
9. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
(a) His confession to murder.
(b) His previous time in prison for stealing.
(c) His career as a bootlegger.
(d) His dangerous past of gambling.
10. Why does Dona Margarita name her son Juan Salvador?
(a) She named him after his grandfather.
(b) Because of her faith in the Lord.
(c) She hoped he would be the family's salvation.
(d) Because he was named for his father.
11. When Lupe first sees Juan, what is it about him that disgusts her?
(a) Seeing that he has a pistol.
(b) The large wound on his face.
(c) How dirty he is.
(d) His horrible attitude.
12. Who is the young man who asks to walk Lupe home from the library and carry her books?
13. Why is Salvador angry when his friend brings him a goat as a wedding gift?
(a) Because he is a vegetarian and does not eat meat, including goat.
(b) Because this friend only wants friendship when Salvador has money.
(c) Because this is a friend who caused Domingo to get in trouble.
(d) Because he has discovered that this friend secretly loved Lupe.
14. What horrible act do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher?
(a) They threw eggs at him as he left the school for the day.
(b) They put something in his coffee that left him sick for a week.
(c) They pulled down his pants and pushed him out a window.
(d) They placed a tack on his chair and he sat on it.
15. How many days does the strike last?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
2. What is Archie's wedding gift to Salvador?
3. Where does Dona Margarita decide to go in order to find her son Domingo?
4. What topic do Dona Margarita's two sons begin to fight over as they are talking and catching up?
5. What is Dona Margarita doing when Salvador finds her to tell her about his engagement?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)