|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to bail Salvador out of prison?
(c) Fred Noon.
2. Why are Lupe and her sisters refused pay when they are working in the fields?
(a) Because they are poor workers.
(b) Because they are women.
(c) Because they damage the produce as they pick them.
(d) Because they argue with the foreman too much.
3. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings toward Salvador?
(a) That there is nothing that she likes about him.
(b) That he bores her but she thinks he is nice.
(c) That he excites her but sometimes she hates him.
(d) That she sees him as a friend and nothing more.
4. What does Mark's uncle offer Lupe?
(a) A job assisting him at his office.
(b) A new car in celebration of their engagement.
(c) To help Lupe get her teaching certificate.
(d) To pay for their wedding.
5. Why do the Mexican workers work under such horrible conditions?
(a) They were at the mercy of American employers that were having difficulties of their own.
(b) All are correct.
(c) They needed work very badly.
(d) They did not have many options for employment.
6. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
(a) To make a lot of money for himself.
(b) To go back to Mexico with her.
(c) To be a good boy.
(d) To never leave her again.
7. Where in California is Juan headed to see his sick mother?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) San Diego.
(c) Los Angeles.
8. What does Rose-Mary say to Lupe as she is headed to meet Salvador's family?
(a) She apologizes to Lupe for all the mean things she has ever said.
(b) She tells Lupe that Salvador has secretly proposed to her as well.
(c) She tells Lupe her fiance is a bootlegger.
(d) She tells Lupe it does not matter who she marries, she is nothing.
9. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
(b) Deputy Sheriff.
(c) Army Sergeant.
(d) President of the City Council.
10. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
(a) Mexican and Italian.
(b) Irish and Chinese.
(c) Japanese and Filipino.
(d) Italian and Filipino.
11. What does Archie allow Juan to do at his gambling hall during the Festival of the Stringbeans?
(a) Juan gets to manage the card games.
(b) Juan gets to have his own VIP section.
(c) Juan is allowed to be the assistant manager.
(d) Juan is able to be the front door host.
12. Which of Domingo's skills impresses Archie?
(a) His racing skills.
(b) His wrestling skills.
(c) His card playing skills.
(d) His liquor making skills.
13. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
(a) He must take and care for liliies that came from her homeland.
(b) He and Lupe must not ever move back to Mexico.
(c) He must never get into trouble or hurt her daughter.
(d) He must promise not to move away from Lupe's family.
14. When the Gomez family arrives in California, what do they learn about their daughter Sophia?
(a) She is alive and living in California.
(b) She is alive and is in Montana.
(c) She made it to California but died soon after.
(d) She did die at sea.
15. What excuse does Epitacio give Juan for leaving him back in Douglas, Arizona when they were younger?
(a) Epitacio says he was tricked into going to Chicago.
(b) He says that Juan's mother called for him.
(c) Epitacio said he was scared for his life and ran.
(d) He tells Juan that he thought Juan was free, so he left.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juan discover has become of the money his mother received from his murder confession?
2. What tips Juan off that there is a trap waiting for him at the hotel where he is supposed to sell his bootleg liquor?
3. How much does Lupe's engagement ring cost Salvador?
4. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
5. Why has Al come from Italy to the United States?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)