|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
(a) To go back to Mexico with her.
(b) To never leave her again.
(c) To make a lot of money for himself.
(d) To be a good boy.
2. What is the name of the mine where Juan and Epitacio work in Arizona?
(a) Copper Queen Mine.
(b) Silver Creek Mine.
(c) Rio Grande River Mine.
(d) Douglas City Mine.
3. What animal is hanging from the tree near the ruins of Don Manuel's store?
(a) A calf.
(b) A goat.
(c) A burro.
(d) A deer.
4. What is Lupe's initial reaction when she learns of Mark's strong desire to marry her?
(a) She is distressed and confused.
(b) She is nice but not interested,
(c) She is so excited.
(d) She realizes that Mark disgusts her.
5. Is the strike successful?
(a) Yes, but women got paid less than men.
(b) The story does not mention the outcome of the strike.
(c) No, it was not successful.
(d) Yes, women got paid equal to men.
6. Why has Al come from Italy to the United States?
(a) To oversee the making of fine liquor.
(b) For religious freedom.
(c) To join the family restaurant.
(d) To join the mob in America.
7. When Lupe wakes up on her wedding day, what initial thoughts run through her mind?
(a) She is angry that she has given in to the idea of marriage.
(b) She is somewhat unsure of her choice to marry Salvador.
(c) She is nervous but in a good way.
(d) She is so overjoyed and excited she can hardly wait.
8. What horrible act do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher?
(a) They pulled down his pants and pushed him out a window.
(b) They placed a tack on his chair and he sat on it.
(c) They put something in his coffee that left him sick for a week.
(d) They threw eggs at him as he left the school for the day.
9. Why does Juan sneak back into the U.S. just days after he has left to return to Mexico?
(a) He misses his nephews.
(b) He cannot stand being away from Lupe.
(c) He still wants to seek revenge on the two men that cut him.
(d) He wants to ask Archie if he knew about the bootleg set up.
10. Why are Lupe and her sisters refused pay when they are working in the fields?
(a) Because they argue with the foreman too much.
(b) Because they are poor workers.
(c) Because they damage the produce as they pick them.
(d) Because they are women.
11. Where in California is Juan headed to see his sick mother?
(a) San Diego.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
12. Why is Salvador angry when his friend brings him a goat as a wedding gift?
(a) Because he is a vegetarian and does not eat meat, including goat.
(b) Because he has discovered that this friend secretly loved Lupe.
(c) Because this is a friend who caused Domingo to get in trouble.
(d) Because this friend only wants friendship when Salvador has money.
13. When the Gomez family arrives in California, what do they learn about their daughter Sophia?
(a) She made it to California but died soon after.
(b) She did die at sea.
(c) She is alive and is in Montana.
(d) She is alive and living in California.
14. What position does Juan hold the first day he works at the rock quarry?
(a) A foreman.
(c) Powder man.
(d) Cafeteria worker.
15. When the Mexicans demand better working conditions at the rock quarry, what do they get?
(a) A new whistle and nothing more.
(b) Paid vacation.
(c) A new whistle and longer breaks.
(d) They get nothing at all and are fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Salvador choose a ring for Lupe?
2. Why is Juan demoted his second day at the rock quarry?
3. What new name does Juan take for himself?
4. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
5. Who sends word to Juan that his mother is very ill?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)