|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the wedding reception held?
(a) Outside at a park.
(b) At the pool hall.
(c) In Lupe's family's backyard.
(d) In the church's banquet hall.
2. When the Gomez family arrives in California, what do they learn about their daughter Sophia?
(a) She made it to California but died soon after.
(b) She is alive and living in California.
(c) She is alive and is in Montana.
(d) She did die at sea.
3. How is Juan dressed when he goes to church to tell his mother that everything is alright?
(a) He is dressed in old, dirty clothes.
(b) He is dressed like a police officer.
(c) He is dressed in a gentleman's suit.
(d) He is dressed like a woman.
4. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
(a) They do not ever want to be married.
(b) None of them like Juan at all.
(c) They will never be able to marry a man who gambles or drinks.
(d) They are all already married or engaged.
5. What position does Juan hold the first day he works at the rock quarry?
(a) A foreman.
(c) Powder man.
(d) Cafeteria worker.
6. Where does Juan go to find the two men that stole his money and cut his face when he first arrives in Los Angeles?
(a) San Jose.
7. What is Archie's wedding gift to Salvador?
(a) A new house.
(b) A truck full of cattle.
(c) Better equipment for liquor making.
(d) A new car.
8. What state is the priest in when Salvador goes to find him to formerly propose?
(a) The priest is drunk.
(b) He is deep in meditation and prayer.
(c) The priest is lamenting.
(d) He is in confession with a church member.
9. Who helps Salvador choose a ring for Lupe?
(a) Dona Margarita.
(b) His tailor.
10. When Juan escapes from prison, which state does he eventually end up in?
(b) North Dakota.
11. Why has Al come from Italy to the United States?
(a) To oversee the making of fine liquor.
(b) To join the mob in America.
(c) For religious freedom.
(d) To join the family restaurant.
12. Who does the priest accidentally call "Maria", while asking for Lupe's hand in marriage?
(c) Dona Margarita.
13. Why do the Mexican workers work under such horrible conditions?
(a) They needed work very badly.
(b) They did not have many options for employment.
(c) They were at the mercy of American employers that were having difficulties of their own.
(d) All are correct.
14. In what city is Archie's gambling hall located?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Diego.
15. When Lupe first sees Juan, what is it about him that disgusts her?
(a) The large wound on his face.
(b) His horrible attitude.
(c) Seeing that he has a pistol.
(d) How dirty he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ojos Puros claim is the cause of Don Victor's fever?
2. Which two of Salvador's friends loan him money for his wedding celebration?
3. What role is Lupe asked to play in the Cinco de Mayo celebration?
4. Who does Salvador ask to formally ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on his behalf?
5. Who sends word to Juan that his mother is very ill?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)