|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After some time in California, Juan comes to realize that Mexicans are viewed there as what?
(a) They are at the top level of the social ladder.
(b) They are seen as nothing.
(c) They are seen as equals to all other races.
(d) They are respected if they are educated.
2. How does Lupe respond when Salvador asks her to dance at the dance hall?
(a) She tells him she is tired but maybe next time.
(b) She says she hates dancing.
(c) She says yes, of course.
(d) She admits that she cannot dance.
3. Who helps Salvador choose a ring for Lupe?
(b) Dona Margarita.
(c) His tailor.
4. What new name does Juan take for himself?
5. When Lupe and her family finally find Don Manuel in California, what does he do for them?
(a) Gets them all jobs.
(b) Helps them find Sophia.
(c) Buys them a new home.
(d) Helps them move to Colorado.
6. What is the name of the mine where Juan and Epitacio work in Arizona?
(a) Rio Grande River Mine.
(b) Copper Queen Mine.
(c) Silver Creek Mine.
(d) Douglas City Mine.
7. After Sophia's husband dies, where does she leave to go to?
(b) Puerto Rico.
(c) The United States.
(d) The coast.
8. Because he is not bailed out, how many years in prison does Domingo get?
9. Who does the priest accidentally call "Maria", while asking for Lupe's hand in marriage?
(d) Dona Margarita.
10. Who is the young man who asks to walk Lupe home from the library and carry her books?
11. Which of Lupe's sisters organizes a strike so that women can get paid for the work they do?
12. Why is Salvador angry when his friend brings him a goat as a wedding gift?
(a) Because he has discovered that this friend secretly loved Lupe.
(b) Because this is a friend who caused Domingo to get in trouble.
(c) Because this friend only wants friendship when Salvador has money.
(d) Because he is a vegetarian and does not eat meat, including goat.
13. Why does Dona Margarita name her son Juan Salvador?
(a) She named him after his grandfather.
(b) Because of her faith in the Lord.
(c) She hoped he would be the family's salvation.
(d) Because he was named for his father.
14. What does Juan make his nephews do to teach them a lesson for their misbehavior toward their teacher?
(a) They have to apologize to the teacher in front of the entire school.
(b) Juan grounds them both for two months.
(c) They have to shovel chicken poop and move heavy barrels.
(d) They have to clean their entire house and yard.
15. What topic do Dona Margarita's two sons begin to fight over as they are talking and catching up?
(a) Who is to blame for the death of their father.
(b) What a jerk Al Capone is.
(c) Why Domingo left their mother.
(d) The dangers of being in the bootleg liquor business.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Juan and Epitacio thrown into jail?
2. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
3. How much does Lupe's engagement ring cost Salvador?
4. What household item does Salvador break at Lupe's house by falling on it?
5. How many days does the strike last?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)