|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
(a) To make a lot of money for himself.
(b) To go back to Mexico with her.
(c) To never leave her again.
(d) To be a good boy.
2. Who is the young man who asks to walk Lupe home from the library and carry her books?
3. When Lupe wakes up on her wedding day, what initial thoughts run through her mind?
(a) She is nervous but in a good way.
(b) She is somewhat unsure of her choice to marry Salvador.
(c) She is so overjoyed and excited she can hardly wait.
(d) She is angry that she has given in to the idea of marriage.
4. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands about his daughter Sophia?
(a) Sophia changed her mind and is going to Juarez.
(b) Sophia has made it safely to the U.S.
(c) Sophia is on the train on her way to Texas.
(d) Sophia's ship to the U.S. has sunk in the sea.
5. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
(a) He must take and care for liliies that came from her homeland.
(b) He must promise not to move away from Lupe's family.
(c) He must never get into trouble or hurt her daughter.
(d) He and Lupe must not ever move back to Mexico.
6. What topic do Dona Margarita's two sons begin to fight over as they are talking and catching up?
(a) What a jerk Al Capone is.
(b) Why Domingo left their mother.
(c) Who is to blame for the death of their father.
(d) The dangers of being in the bootleg liquor business.
7. What does Juan make his nephews do to teach them a lesson for their misbehavior toward their teacher?
(a) Juan grounds them both for two months.
(b) They have to shovel chicken poop and move heavy barrels.
(c) They have to apologize to the teacher in front of the entire school.
(d) They have to clean their entire house and yard.
8. Where does Dona Margarita decide to go in order to find her son Domingo?
(d) St. Louis.
9. Because of their efforts in starting a strike, what happens to Lupe and her sisters as employees?
(a) They are punished by having to work longer shifts.
(b) They lose their jobs but soon find new, better ones.
(c) No one will hire them after the strike.
(d) They are promoted above all the other workers.
10. What horrible act do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher?
(a) They threw eggs at him as he left the school for the day.
(b) They placed a tack on his chair and he sat on it.
(c) They pulled down his pants and pushed him out a window.
(d) They put something in his coffee that left him sick for a week.
11. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings toward Salvador?
(a) That there is nothing that she likes about him.
(b) That he bores her but she thinks he is nice.
(c) That she sees him as a friend and nothing more.
(d) That he excites her but sometimes she hates him.
12. Why is Juan demoted his second day at the rock quarry?
(a) Because he hated that position and asked to be reassigned.
(b) Because someone with more experience came along.
(c) Because he is not white.
(d) Because he made a huge mistake.
13. Who does Salvador ask to formally ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on his behalf?
(a) The priest.
(b) No one, he will do it himself.
14. What dream do Lupe and Juan share?
(a) They would like both to return to Mexico and start a family.
(b) That their children be educated, not having to bow to anyone.
(c) They both want to be free, never having to marry or settle down.
(d) They both have a dream to travel the world and leave the U.S. behind.
15. Why has Al come from Italy to the United States?
(a) To join the mob in America.
(b) To join the family restaurant.
(c) To oversee the making of fine liquor.
(d) For religious freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Juan and Epitacio thrown into jail?
2. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
3. What role is Lupe asked to play in the Cinco de Mayo celebration?
4. What are the men barbecuing at the reception?
5. Who brings a barrel of whiskey to the reception?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)