|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sophia's husband dies, where does she leave to go to?
(a) Puerto Rico.
(b) The coast.
(c) The United States.
2. What tips Juan off that there is a trap waiting for him at the hotel where he is supposed to sell his bootleg liquor?
(a) His mother's vision.
(b) The whispers of some men in the pool hall.
(c) Warnings from Archie.
(d) An anonymous note left in his car.
3. Who comes to bail Salvador out of prison?
(d) Fred Noon.
4. When Lupe wakes up on her wedding day, what initial thoughts run through her mind?
(a) She is somewhat unsure of her choice to marry Salvador.
(b) She is angry that she has given in to the idea of marriage.
(c) She is so overjoyed and excited she can hardly wait.
(d) She is nervous but in a good way.
5. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
(a) Southern California.
(b) Eastern Arizona.
(c) Central New Mexico.
(d) Central California.
6. When the Gomez family arrives in California, what do they learn about their daughter Sophia?
(a) She made it to California but died soon after.
(b) She did die at sea.
(c) She is alive and is in Montana.
(d) She is alive and living in California.
7. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
(b) Army Sergeant.
(c) President of the City Council.
(d) Deputy Sheriff.
8. When the Mexicans demand better working conditions at the rock quarry, what do they get?
(a) A new whistle and longer breaks.
(b) They get nothing at all and are fired.
(c) A new whistle and nothing more.
(d) Paid vacation.
9. Who sends word to Juan that his mother is very ill?
(b) His sister.
(c) His father.
(d) A hospital nurse.
10. How much does Lupe's engagement ring cost Salvador?
11. When Lupe and her family finally find Don Manuel in California, what does he do for them?
(a) Helps them move to Colorado.
(b) Helps them find Sophia.
(c) Gets them all jobs.
(d) Buys them a new home.
12. What does Ojos Puros claim is the cause of Don Victor's fever?
(b) Lack of food.
(d) The gold.
13. Why has Al come from Italy to the United States?
(a) For religious freedom.
(b) To oversee the making of fine liquor.
(c) To join the mob in America.
(d) To join the family restaurant.
14. What happens to Nellie while Domingo is in jail?
(a) She works hard to raise the bail to get Domingo out early.
(b) She decides to return to Chicago.
(c) She gets very ill and dies.
(d) She disappears without a trace.
15. Who brings a barrel of whiskey to the reception?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
2. Why is Juan demoted his second day at the rock quarry?
3. What role is Lupe asked to play in the Cinco de Mayo celebration?
4. Where does Dona Margarita decide to go in order to find her son Domingo?
5. Where in California is Juan headed to see his sick mother?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)