|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of their efforts in starting a strike, what happens to Lupe and her sisters as employees?
(a) They are promoted above all the other workers.
(b) No one will hire them after the strike.
(c) They are punished by having to work longer shifts.
(d) They lose their jobs but soon find new, better ones.
2. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands about his daughter Sophia?
(a) Sophia's ship to the U.S. has sunk in the sea.
(b) Sophia has made it safely to the U.S.
(c) Sophia changed her mind and is going to Juarez.
(d) Sophia is on the train on her way to Texas.
3. What gift does Father Ryan thank Dona Margarita's son for?
(a) A new bible.
(b) His financial donation.
(c) A new organ for the church.
4. What happens the day after Epitacio gambles away his paycheck?
(a) Juan goes and wins back all the lost money.
(b) Both Juan and Epitacio do not show up to work.
(c) Epitacio disappears.
(d) Epitacio works a double shift to earn his money back.
5. What does Rose-Mary say to Lupe as she is headed to meet Salvador's family?
(a) She apologizes to Lupe for all the mean things she has ever said.
(b) She tells Lupe it does not matter who she marries, she is nothing.
(c) She tells Lupe that Salvador has secretly proposed to her as well.
(d) She tells Lupe her fiance is a bootlegger.
6. Because he is not bailed out, how many years in prison does Domingo get?
7. What topic do Dona Margarita's two sons begin to fight over as they are talking and catching up?
(a) Who is to blame for the death of their father.
(b) Why Domingo left their mother.
(c) What a jerk Al Capone is.
(d) The dangers of being in the bootleg liquor business.
8. How much does Lupe's engagement ring cost Salvador?
9. How do Domingo and Salvador end up in jail in Chapter 23?
(a) The two men get caught in an underground gambling ring.
(b) Domingo and Salvador get into a squabble at a pool hall.
(c) Domingo tells an undercover cop they are bootleggers.
(d) Salvador gets caught bootlegging.
10. Which two of Salvador's friends loan him money for his wedding celebration?
(a) Juan and Archie.
(b) Archie and his tailor.
(c) Victoriano and Fred.
(d) Kenny and the old lady he sells liquor to.
11. What household item does Salvador break at Lupe's house by falling on it?
(a) The kitchen table.
(b) A chair.
(c) A vase that is a family heirloom.
(d) A small foot stool.
12. What new name does Juan take for himself?
13. What position does Juan hold the first day he works at the rock quarry?
(b) Powder man.
(c) A foreman.
(d) Cafeteria worker.
14. What does Archie want in return for helping Juan to start over with a new life and new name?
(a) Five barrels of whiskey a month.
(b) Twenty percent of all the money Juan earns gambling.
(c) A new car.
(d) Juan to become the new manager at his gambling hall.
15. Where does Juan go to find the two men that stole his money and cut his face when he first arrives in Los Angeles?
(b) San Jose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Al come from Italy to the United States?
2. Who is the young man who asks to walk Lupe home from the library and carry her books?
3. How does Lupe respond when Salvador asks her to dance at the dance hall?
4. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
5. Which of Lupe's sisters organizes a strike so that women can get paid for the work they do?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)