|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the wedding reception held?
(a) In the church's banquet hall.
(b) At the pool hall.
(c) Outside at a park.
(d) In Lupe's family's backyard.
2. Why does Luisa refuse to go to Salvador and Lupe's wedding?
(a) She feels that Lupe's family looks down on her and her family.
(b) She is not feeling well and does not want to get out of bed.
(c) She is against Lupe and does not support the marriage.
(d) She does not feel as though she is dressed properly.
3. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
(a) To never leave her again.
(b) To go back to Mexico with her.
(c) To be a good boy.
(d) To make a lot of money for himself.
4. Who is the young man who asks to walk Lupe home from the library and carry her books?
5. What is Archie's wedding gift to Salvador?
(a) Better equipment for liquor making.
(b) A truck full of cattle.
(c) A new car.
(d) A new house.
6. When the Mexicans demand better working conditions at the rock quarry, what do they get?
(a) A new whistle and longer breaks.
(b) They get nothing at all and are fired.
(c) Paid vacation.
(d) A new whistle and nothing more.
7. What new name does Juan take for himself?
8. Who does Salvador ask to formally ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on his behalf?
(c) The priest.
(d) No one, he will do it himself.
9. Is the strike successful?
(a) Yes, women got paid equal to men.
(b) Yes, but women got paid less than men.
(c) No, it was not successful.
(d) The story does not mention the outcome of the strike.
10. Who helps Salvador choose a ring for Lupe?
(a) His tailor.
(d) Dona Margarita.
11. Why is Juan demoted his second day at the rock quarry?
(a) Because he hated that position and asked to be reassigned.
(b) Because he made a huge mistake.
(c) Because someone with more experience came along.
(d) Because he is not white.
12. Where in California is Juan headed to see his sick mother?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Diego.
13. What is inside the metal box that Sophia finds in her fireplace?
(a) Paper money.
(d) Deeds to land.
14. Because of their efforts in starting a strike, what happens to Lupe and her sisters as employees?
(a) They are promoted above all the other workers.
(b) No one will hire them after the strike.
(c) They are punished by having to work longer shifts.
(d) They lose their jobs but soon find new, better ones.
15. When the Gomez family arrives in California, what do they learn about their daughter Sophia?
(a) She made it to California but died soon after.
(b) She is alive and living in California.
(c) She did die at sea.
(d) She is alive and is in Montana.
Short Answer Questions
1. What horrible act do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher?
2. Because he is not bailed out, how many years in prison does Domingo get?
3. What happens to Nellie while Domingo is in jail?
4. What does Mark's uncle offer Lupe?
5. Which of Lupe's sisters organizes a strike so that women can get paid for the work they do?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)