|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state is the priest in when Salvador goes to find him to formerly propose?
(a) He is deep in meditation and prayer.
(b) The priest is lamenting.
(c) The priest is drunk.
(d) He is in confession with a church member.
2. When Juan escapes from prison, which state does he eventually end up in?
(b) North Dakota.
3. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands about his daughter Sophia?
(a) Sophia's ship to the U.S. has sunk in the sea.
(b) Sophia is on the train on her way to Texas.
(c) Sophia has made it safely to the U.S.
(d) Sophia changed her mind and is going to Juarez.
4. What does Victoriano use to funnel the gold he has found to speed up the collection process?
(a) A bottle.
(b) A glass vase.
(c) A bull's horn.
(d) A thick banana leaf.
5. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
(a) He must take and care for liliies that came from her homeland.
(b) He must promise not to move away from Lupe's family.
(c) He must never get into trouble or hurt her daughter.
(d) He and Lupe must not ever move back to Mexico.
6. After Sophia's husband dies, where does she leave to go to?
(a) Puerto Rico.
(b) The United States.
(c) The coast.
7. Which of Domingo's skills impresses Archie?
(a) His racing skills.
(b) His card playing skills.
(c) His wrestling skills.
(d) His liquor making skills.
8. How does Lupe respond when Salvador asks her to dance at the dance hall?
(a) She says yes, of course.
(b) She says she hates dancing.
(c) She admits that she cannot dance.
(d) She tells him she is tired but maybe next time.
9. When the Mexicans demand better working conditions at the rock quarry, what do they get?
(a) Paid vacation.
(b) They get nothing at all and are fired.
(c) A new whistle and nothing more.
(d) A new whistle and longer breaks.
10. Where is the wedding reception held?
(a) In the church's banquet hall.
(b) In Lupe's family's backyard.
(c) Outside at a park.
(d) At the pool hall.
11. When the Gomez family arrives in California, what do they learn about their daughter Sophia?
(a) She is alive and is in Montana.
(b) She did die at sea.
(c) She is alive and living in California.
(d) She made it to California but died soon after.
12. Where in California is Juan headed to see his sick mother?
(a) San Diego.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
13. What happens the day after Epitacio gambles away his paycheck?
(a) Epitacio disappears.
(b) Both Juan and Epitacio do not show up to work.
(c) Epitacio works a double shift to earn his money back.
(d) Juan goes and wins back all the lost money.
14. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
(a) To never leave her again.
(b) To make a lot of money for himself.
(c) To go back to Mexico with her.
(d) To be a good boy.
15. Who comes to bail Salvador out of prison?
(b) Fred Noon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
2. Why is Juan demoted his second day at the rock quarry?
3. After some time in California, Juan comes to realize that Mexicans are viewed there as what?
4. Why does Juan agree to confess to a murder he did not commit?
5. Where does Juan go to find the two men that stole his money and cut his face when he first arrives in Los Angeles?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)