|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Juan demoted his second day at the rock quarry?
(a) Because someone with more experience came along.
(b) Because he hated that position and asked to be reassigned.
(c) Because he made a huge mistake.
(d) Because he is not white.
2. Who arrives at Dona Margarita's house and is mistaken for her husband?
3. Who brings a barrel of whiskey to the reception?
4. Is the strike successful?
(a) The story does not mention the outcome of the strike.
(b) Yes, but women got paid less than men.
(c) No, it was not successful.
(d) Yes, women got paid equal to men.
5. What tips Juan off that there is a trap waiting for him at the hotel where he is supposed to sell his bootleg liquor?
(a) His mother's vision.
(b) Warnings from Archie.
(c) The whispers of some men in the pool hall.
(d) An anonymous note left in his car.
6. Why does Luisa refuse to go to Salvador and Lupe's wedding?
(a) She does not feel as though she is dressed properly.
(b) She feels that Lupe's family looks down on her and her family.
(c) She is against Lupe and does not support the marriage.
(d) She is not feeling well and does not want to get out of bed.
7. What gift does Father Ryan thank Dona Margarita's son for?
(a) His financial donation.
(b) A new organ for the church.
(d) A new bible.
8. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
(a) To never leave her again.
(b) To make a lot of money for himself.
(c) To go back to Mexico with her.
(d) To be a good boy.
9. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
(a) He must take and care for liliies that came from her homeland.
(b) He must never get into trouble or hurt her daughter.
(c) He must promise not to move away from Lupe's family.
(d) He and Lupe must not ever move back to Mexico.
10. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands about his daughter Sophia?
(a) Sophia is on the train on her way to Texas.
(b) Sophia changed her mind and is going to Juarez.
(c) Sophia's ship to the U.S. has sunk in the sea.
(d) Sophia has made it safely to the U.S.
11. What is the name of the attorney that Juan befriends?
(a) Chuck Larson.
(b) Mark Able.
(c) Fred Noon.
(d) Frank Stewart.
12. When Juan escapes from prison, which state does he eventually end up in?
(d) North Dakota.
13. What does Archie want in return for helping Juan to start over with a new life and new name?
(a) Juan to become the new manager at his gambling hall.
(b) Five barrels of whiskey a month.
(c) A new car.
(d) Twenty percent of all the money Juan earns gambling.
14. How do Domingo and Salvador end up in jail in Chapter 23?
(a) The two men get caught in an underground gambling ring.
(b) Domingo and Salvador get into a squabble at a pool hall.
(c) Domingo tells an undercover cop they are bootleggers.
(d) Salvador gets caught bootlegging.
15. How is Luisa's neighborhood described?
(a) Things are meager but clean and bright.
(b) The streets are large and the houses are big.
(c) The streets are crowded but the area is nice.
(d) It is dirty with small houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inside the metal box that Sophia finds in her fireplace?
2. How long does Don Victor tell the priest and Salvador it will be before he gives them an answer regarding the proposal to Lupe?
3. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
4. What happens to Nellie while Domingo is in jail?
5. What household item does Salvador break at Lupe's house by falling on it?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)