|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the wedding reception held?
(a) In Lupe's family's backyard.
(b) Outside at a park.
(c) At the pool hall.
(d) In the church's banquet hall.
2. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
(a) His previous time in prison for stealing.
(b) His dangerous past of gambling.
(c) His career as a bootlegger.
(d) His confession to murder.
3. How is Luisa's neighborhood described?
(a) The streets are large and the houses are big.
(b) It is dirty with small houses.
(c) The streets are crowded but the area is nice.
(d) Things are meager but clean and bright.
4. What is Dona Margarita doing when Salvador finds her to tell her about his engagement?
(a) Cooking a large meal for the neighbors.
(b) Smoking, drinking, and reading the bible.
(d) Already out shopping for wedding supplies.
5. When the Mexicans demand better working conditions at the rock quarry, what do they get?
(a) A new whistle and nothing more.
(b) A new whistle and longer breaks.
(c) They get nothing at all and are fired.
(d) Paid vacation.
6. Is the strike successful?
(a) No, it was not successful.
(b) Yes, but women got paid less than men.
(c) The story does not mention the outcome of the strike.
(d) Yes, women got paid equal to men.
7. What does Juan make his nephews do to teach them a lesson for their misbehavior toward their teacher?
(a) They have to shovel chicken poop and move heavy barrels.
(b) Juan grounds them both for two months.
(c) They have to clean their entire house and yard.
(d) They have to apologize to the teacher in front of the entire school.
8. Which of Domingo's skills impresses Archie?
(a) His wrestling skills.
(b) His racing skills.
(c) His liquor making skills.
(d) His card playing skills.
9. What is inside the metal box that Sophia finds in her fireplace?
(c) Paper money.
(d) Deeds to land.
10. What does Rose-Mary say to Lupe as she is headed to meet Salvador's family?
(a) She tells Lupe it does not matter who she marries, she is nothing.
(b) She tells Lupe her fiance is a bootlegger.
(c) She tells Lupe that Salvador has secretly proposed to her as well.
(d) She apologizes to Lupe for all the mean things she has ever said.
11. What topic do Dona Margarita's two sons begin to fight over as they are talking and catching up?
(a) What a jerk Al Capone is.
(b) Why Domingo left their mother.
(c) Who is to blame for the death of their father.
(d) The dangers of being in the bootleg liquor business.
12. How much does Lupe's engagement ring cost Salvador?
13. What position does Juan hold the first day he works at the rock quarry?
(a) Cafeteria worker.
(c) A foreman.
(d) Powder man.
14. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
(a) They do not ever want to be married.
(b) None of them like Juan at all.
(c) They will never be able to marry a man who gambles or drinks.
(d) They are all already married or engaged.
15. Why are Lupe and her sisters refused pay when they are working in the fields?
(a) Because they are women.
(b) Because they argue with the foreman too much.
(c) Because they are poor workers.
(d) Because they damage the produce as they pick them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does the strike last?
2. What state is the priest in when Salvador goes to find him to formerly propose?
3. When Lupe and her family finally find Don Manuel in California, what does he do for them?
4. Why are Juan and Epitacio thrown into jail?
5. How do Domingo and Salvador end up in jail in Chapter 23?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)