|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tips Juan off that there is a trap waiting for him at the hotel where he is supposed to sell his bootleg liquor?
(a) His mother's vision.
(b) Warnings from Archie.
(c) An anonymous note left in his car.
(d) The whispers of some men in the pool hall.
2. What happens the day after Epitacio gambles away his paycheck?
(a) Both Juan and Epitacio do not show up to work.
(b) Epitacio works a double shift to earn his money back.
(c) Juan goes and wins back all the lost money.
(d) Epitacio disappears.
3. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
(a) Southern California.
(b) Eastern Arizona.
(c) Central New Mexico.
(d) Central California.
4. Where is the barrel of whiskey located at the reception?
(a) It is hidden for those who want it.
(b) It is out on the table.
(c) It is in the kitchen.
(d) It is right next to the food.
5. When Lupe first sees Juan, what is it about him that disgusts her?
(a) His horrible attitude.
(b) How dirty he is.
(c) Seeing that he has a pistol.
(d) The large wound on his face.
6. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
(a) His career as a bootlegger.
(b) His confession to murder.
(c) His previous time in prison for stealing.
(d) His dangerous past of gambling.
7. Who comes to bail Salvador out of prison?
(b) Fred Noon.
8. After some time in California, Juan comes to realize that Mexicans are viewed there as what?
(a) They are respected if they are educated.
(b) They are at the top level of the social ladder.
(c) They are seen as equals to all other races.
(d) They are seen as nothing.
9. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
(a) They do not ever want to be married.
(b) None of them like Juan at all.
(c) They will never be able to marry a man who gambles or drinks.
(d) They are all already married or engaged.
10. What does Ojos Puros claim is the cause of Don Victor's fever?
(a) The gold.
(b) Lack of food.
11. Which of Lupe's sisters organizes a strike so that women can get paid for the work they do?
12. Why does Luisa refuse to go to Salvador and Lupe's wedding?
(a) She feels that Lupe's family looks down on her and her family.
(b) She does not feel as though she is dressed properly.
(c) She is not feeling well and does not want to get out of bed.
(d) She is against Lupe and does not support the marriage.
13. When the Gomez family arrives in California, what do they learn about their daughter Sophia?
(a) She did die at sea.
(b) She is alive and living in California.
(c) She made it to California but died soon after.
(d) She is alive and is in Montana.
14. What is Archie's wedding gift to Salvador?
(a) Better equipment for liquor making.
(b) A truck full of cattle.
(c) A new car.
(d) A new house.
15. Which two of Salvador's friends loan him money for his wedding celebration?
(a) Kenny and the old lady he sells liquor to.
(b) Juan and Archie.
(c) Archie and his tailor.
(d) Victoriano and Fred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dona Margarita name her son Juan Salvador?
2. When Lupe wakes up on her wedding day, what initial thoughts run through her mind?
3. How is Luisa's neighborhood described?
4. What does Rose-Mary say to Lupe as she is headed to meet Salvador's family?
5. What does Archie want in return for helping Juan to start over with a new life and new name?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)