|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Juan sneak back into the U.S. just days after he has left to return to Mexico?
(a) He misses his nephews.
(b) He wants to ask Archie if he knew about the bootleg set up.
(c) He cannot stand being away from Lupe.
(d) He still wants to seek revenge on the two men that cut him.
2. How old is Juan when he is sent to prison?
(a) Eighteen years old.
(b) Fifteen years old.
(c) Eleven years old.
(d) Thirteen years old.
3. Who comes to bail Salvador out of prison?
(d) Fred Noon.
4. What horrible act do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher?
(a) They placed a tack on his chair and he sat on it.
(b) They threw eggs at him as he left the school for the day.
(c) They put something in his coffee that left him sick for a week.
(d) They pulled down his pants and pushed him out a window.
5. How many days does the strike last?
6. Why do the Mexican workers work under such horrible conditions?
(a) They needed work very badly.
(b) They were at the mercy of American employers that were having difficulties of their own.
(c) They did not have many options for employment.
(d) All are correct.
7. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
(a) Mexican and Italian.
(b) Japanese and Filipino.
(c) Italian and Filipino.
(d) Irish and Chinese.
8. Which of Domingo's skills impresses Archie?
(a) His card playing skills.
(b) His wrestling skills.
(c) His liquor making skills.
(d) His racing skills.
9. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
(a) Eastern Arizona.
(b) Central New Mexico.
(c) Central California.
(d) Southern California.
10. After some time in California, Juan comes to realize that Mexicans are viewed there as what?
(a) They are seen as nothing.
(b) They are seen as equals to all other races.
(c) They are respected if they are educated.
(d) They are at the top level of the social ladder.
11. What position does Juan hold the first day he works at the rock quarry?
(a) A foreman.
(c) Cafeteria worker.
(d) Powder man.
12. Because he is not bailed out, how many years in prison does Domingo get?
13. Why are Lupe and her sisters refused pay when they are working in the fields?
(a) Because they damage the produce as they pick them.
(b) Because they are women.
(c) Because they are poor workers.
(d) Because they argue with the foreman too much.
14. After Sophia's husband dies, where does she leave to go to?
(a) The coast.
(c) The United States.
(d) Puerto Rico.
15. Why does Dona Margarita name her son Juan Salvador?
(a) She hoped he would be the family's salvation.
(b) Because of her faith in the Lord.
(c) Because he was named for his father.
(d) She named him after his grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Salvador told Lupe's family is his business?
2. Where does Salvador take Lupe so they can be more alone?
3. Who sends word to Juan that his mother is very ill?
4. What is Lupe's initial reaction when she learns of Mark's strong desire to marry her?
5. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings toward Salvador?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)