|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
(a) To make a lot of money for himself.
(b) To never leave her again.
(c) To go back to Mexico with her.
(d) To be a good boy.
2. What does Mark's uncle offer Lupe?
(a) A job assisting him at his office.
(b) A new car in celebration of their engagement.
(c) To help Lupe get her teaching certificate.
(d) To pay for their wedding.
3. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
(a) He must never get into trouble or hurt her daughter.
(b) He and Lupe must not ever move back to Mexico.
(c) He must take and care for liliies that came from her homeland.
(d) He must promise not to move away from Lupe's family.
4. What topic do Dona Margarita's two sons begin to fight over as they are talking and catching up?
(a) Why Domingo left their mother.
(b) What a jerk Al Capone is.
(c) The dangers of being in the bootleg liquor business.
(d) Who is to blame for the death of their father.
5. Who sends word to Juan that his mother is very ill?
(a) His sister.
(c) His father.
(d) A hospital nurse.
6. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings toward Salvador?
(a) That he bores her but she thinks he is nice.
(b) That she sees him as a friend and nothing more.
(c) That there is nothing that she likes about him.
(d) That he excites her but sometimes she hates him.
7. What is the name of the attorney that Juan befriends?
(a) Chuck Larson.
(b) Mark Able.
(c) Frank Stewart.
(d) Fred Noon.
8. How much does Lupe's engagement ring cost Salvador?
9. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
(a) They do not ever want to be married.
(b) They are all already married or engaged.
(c) None of them like Juan at all.
(d) They will never be able to marry a man who gambles or drinks.
10. Where is the wedding reception held?
(a) In Lupe's family's backyard.
(b) In the church's banquet hall.
(c) At the pool hall.
(d) Outside at a park.
11. Who helps Salvador choose a ring for Lupe?
(c) Dona Margarita.
(d) His tailor.
12. What do the newlyweds talk about when they sneak off to be alone?
(a) Their future together.
(b) Salvador's brother.
(c) The upcoming honeymoon.
(d) Their families.
13. What does Dona Margarita tell Salvador she needs to do right as the ceremony is about to start?
(a) She feels sick and needs to lay down.
(b) She has to go to the bathroom.
(c) She needs to pass gas.
(d) She has to go drink some water.
14. Why does Dona Margarita name her son Juan Salvador?
(a) Because of her faith in the Lord.
(b) She named him after his grandfather.
(c) Because he was named for his father.
(d) She hoped he would be the family's salvation.
15. Where in California is Juan headed to see his sick mother?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Diego.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mine where Juan and Epitacio work in Arizona?
2. Why do the Mexican workers work under such horrible conditions?
3. Why does Juan agree to confess to a murder he did not commit?
4. When Juan escapes from prison, which state does he eventually end up in?
5. What does Juan discover has become of the money his mother received from his murder confession?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)