|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Don Victor tell the priest and Salvador it will be before he gives them an answer regarding the proposal to Lupe?
(a) Five days.
(b) A week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three days.
2. When Lupe first sees Juan, what is it about him that disgusts her?
(a) Seeing that he has a pistol.
(b) His horrible attitude.
(c) The large wound on his face.
(d) How dirty he is.
3. What does Victoriano use to funnel the gold he has found to speed up the collection process?
(a) A thick banana leaf.
(b) A bottle.
(c) A glass vase.
(d) A bull's horn.
4. What state is the priest in when Salvador goes to find him to formerly propose?
(a) He is deep in meditation and prayer.
(b) The priest is drunk.
(c) He is in confession with a church member.
(d) The priest is lamenting.
5. What position does Juan hold the first day he works at the rock quarry?
(a) A foreman.
(c) Cafeteria worker.
(d) Powder man.
6. How do Domingo and Salvador end up in jail in Chapter 23?
(a) Domingo tells an undercover cop they are bootleggers.
(b) Salvador gets caught bootlegging.
(c) Domingo and Salvador get into a squabble at a pool hall.
(d) The two men get caught in an underground gambling ring.
7. Why is Lupe embarrassed to drive a car in front of the other workers at the apricot fields?
(a) Because women are generally not allowed to drive cars.
(b) Because she is very shy and does not like people looking at her.
(c) Because she is embarrased of the old car she would have to drive.
(d) Because she is a really bad driver.
8. What does Archie want in return for helping Juan to start over with a new life and new name?
(a) Juan to become the new manager at his gambling hall.
(b) Twenty percent of all the money Juan earns gambling.
(c) A new car.
(d) Five barrels of whiskey a month.
9. Who helps Salvador choose a ring for Lupe?
(a) His tailor.
(c) Dona Margarita.
10. What do the newlyweds talk about when they sneak off to be alone?
(a) Salvador's brother.
(b) The upcoming honeymoon.
(c) Their families.
(d) Their future together.
11. Why is Salvador angry when his friend brings him a goat as a wedding gift?
(a) Because he is a vegetarian and does not eat meat, including goat.
(b) Because this friend only wants friendship when Salvador has money.
(c) Because this is a friend who caused Domingo to get in trouble.
(d) Because he has discovered that this friend secretly loved Lupe.
12. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
(a) He must promise not to move away from Lupe's family.
(b) He must never get into trouble or hurt her daughter.
(c) He must take and care for liliies that came from her homeland.
(d) He and Lupe must not ever move back to Mexico.
13. Where is the barrel of whiskey located at the reception?
(a) It is hidden for those who want it.
(b) It is out on the table.
(c) It is right next to the food.
(d) It is in the kitchen.
14. Why does Luisa refuse to go to Salvador and Lupe's wedding?
(a) She does not feel as though she is dressed properly.
(b) She is against Lupe and does not support the marriage.
(c) She feels that Lupe's family looks down on her and her family.
(d) She is not feeling well and does not want to get out of bed.
15. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
(a) To make a lot of money for himself.
(b) To never leave her again.
(c) To go back to Mexico with her.
(d) To be a good boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tips Juan off that there is a trap waiting for him at the hotel where he is supposed to sell his bootleg liquor?
2. What horrible act do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher?
3. What happens the day after Epitacio gambles away his paycheck?
4. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
5. In what city is Archie's gambling hall located?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)