|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Archie's wedding gift to Salvador?
(a) A truck full of cattle.
(b) A new house.
(c) A new car.
(d) Better equipment for liquor making.
2. Who is the young man who asks to walk Lupe home from the library and carry her books?
3. How is Luisa's neighborhood described?
(a) The streets are crowded but the area is nice.
(b) Things are meager but clean and bright.
(c) The streets are large and the houses are big.
(d) It is dirty with small houses.
4. What does Victoriano use to funnel the gold he has found to speed up the collection process?
(a) A bottle.
(b) A glass vase.
(c) A thick banana leaf.
(d) A bull's horn.
5. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands about his daughter Sophia?
(a) Sophia is on the train on her way to Texas.
(b) Sophia has made it safely to the U.S.
(c) Sophia's ship to the U.S. has sunk in the sea.
(d) Sophia changed her mind and is going to Juarez.
6. How many days does the strike last?
7. What animal is hanging from the tree near the ruins of Don Manuel's store?
(a) A deer.
(b) A burro.
(c) A calf.
(d) A goat.
8. What does Juan discover has become of the money his mother received from his murder confession?
(a) Most of it was used on her medical bills.
(b) Most of it has been given to his cousins.
(c) It never made it to his mother.
(d) It was stolen.
9. Who does Salvador ask to formally ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on his behalf?
(a) The priest.
(c) No one, he will do it himself.
10. What happens to Nellie while Domingo is in jail?
(a) She gets very ill and dies.
(b) She decides to return to Chicago.
(c) She works hard to raise the bail to get Domingo out early.
(d) She disappears without a trace.
11. What happens the day after Epitacio gambles away his paycheck?
(a) Both Juan and Epitacio do not show up to work.
(b) Epitacio works a double shift to earn his money back.
(c) Epitacio disappears.
(d) Juan goes and wins back all the lost money.
12. Which two of Salvador's friends loan him money for his wedding celebration?
(a) Juan and Archie.
(b) Archie and his tailor.
(c) Kenny and the old lady he sells liquor to.
(d) Victoriano and Fred.
13. Where is the barrel of whiskey located at the reception?
(a) It is out on the table.
(b) It is in the kitchen.
(c) It is right next to the food.
(d) It is hidden for those who want it.
14. Is the strike successful?
(a) The story does not mention the outcome of the strike.
(b) No, it was not successful.
(c) Yes, but women got paid less than men.
(d) Yes, women got paid equal to men.
15. What does Rose-Mary say to Lupe as she is headed to meet Salvador's family?
(a) She tells Lupe it does not matter who she marries, she is nothing.
(b) She tells Lupe her fiance is a bootlegger.
(c) She tells Lupe that Salvador has secretly proposed to her as well.
(d) She apologizes to Lupe for all the mean things she has ever said.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juan make his nephews do to teach them a lesson for their misbehavior toward their teacher?
2. When Lupe first sees Juan, what is it about him that disgusts her?
3. Because of their efforts in starting a strike, what happens to Lupe and her sisters as employees?
4. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
5. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)