|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal is hanging from the tree near the ruins of Don Manuel's store?
(a) A burro.
(b) A calf.
(c) A goat.
(d) A deer.
2. What does Mark's uncle offer Lupe?
(a) A new car in celebration of their engagement.
(b) To pay for their wedding.
(c) To help Lupe get her teaching certificate.
(d) A job assisting him at his office.
3. What is the name of the attorney that Juan befriends?
(a) Fred Noon.
(b) Chuck Larson.
(c) Mark Able.
(d) Frank Stewart.
4. What does Juan make his nephews do to teach them a lesson for their misbehavior toward their teacher?
(a) They have to apologize to the teacher in front of the entire school.
(b) They have to clean their entire house and yard.
(c) They have to shovel chicken poop and move heavy barrels.
(d) Juan grounds them both for two months.
5. Which two of Salvador's friends loan him money for his wedding celebration?
(a) Victoriano and Fred.
(b) Juan and Archie.
(c) Kenny and the old lady he sells liquor to.
(d) Archie and his tailor.
6. What happens to Nellie while Domingo is in jail?
(a) She gets very ill and dies.
(b) She disappears without a trace.
(c) She works hard to raise the bail to get Domingo out early.
(d) She decides to return to Chicago.
7. Why does Dona Margarita disapprove of Domingo and Nellie's relationship?
(a) Because Domingo has a wife in Mexico.
(b) Because she thinks Nellie is too old for Domingo.
(c) Because Nellie is already married.
(d) Because they are sleeping together outside of wedlock.
8. What tips Juan off that there is a trap waiting for him at the hotel where he is supposed to sell his bootleg liquor?
(a) An anonymous note left in his car.
(b) His mother's vision.
(c) Warnings from Archie.
(d) The whispers of some men in the pool hall.
9. How old is Juan when he is sent to prison?
(a) Eighteen years old.
(b) Thirteen years old.
(c) Eleven years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
10. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
(a) They do not ever want to be married.
(b) They will never be able to marry a man who gambles or drinks.
(c) They are all already married or engaged.
(d) None of them like Juan at all.
11. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
(a) President of the City Council.
(b) Deputy Sheriff.
(d) Army Sergeant.
12. What do the newlyweds talk about when they sneak off to be alone?
(a) Their future together.
(b) Salvador's brother.
(c) The upcoming honeymoon.
(d) Their families.
13. When Lupe wakes up on her wedding day, what initial thoughts run through her mind?
(a) She is angry that she has given in to the idea of marriage.
(b) She is somewhat unsure of her choice to marry Salvador.
(c) She is nervous but in a good way.
(d) She is so overjoyed and excited she can hardly wait.
14. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands about his daughter Sophia?
(a) Sophia is on the train on her way to Texas.
(b) Sophia changed her mind and is going to Juarez.
(c) Sophia has made it safely to the U.S.
(d) Sophia's ship to the U.S. has sunk in the sea.
15. What dream do Lupe and Juan share?
(a) That their children be educated, not having to bow to anyone.
(b) They would like both to return to Mexico and start a family.
(c) They both want to be free, never having to marry or settle down.
(d) They both have a dream to travel the world and leave the U.S. behind.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Mexicans demand better working conditions at the rock quarry, what do they get?
2. What happens the day after Epitacio gambles away his paycheck?
3. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
4. After Sophia's husband dies, where does she leave to go to?
5. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)