|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the mayor's eldest daughter?
2. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two and a half years.
(c) About a year.
(d) Nine months.
3. What type of land are Don Castro and his companions looking for to start their new community?
(a) Coastal land.
(b) Land with gold to be mined.
(c) Fertile land.
4. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
(a) His mother needs help paying the bills.
(b) He is trying to get enough gold to make a ring.
(c) He is deliberately trying to anger the Americans.
(d) He wants to be a successful businessman.
5. Why are the train passengers put off the train and forced to camp while the train leaves?
(a) Because these passengers do not have enough money to continue.
(b) Because the train cannot actually enter the U.S.
(c) Because the train is needed for the war effort.
(d) Because the train driver is evil and has decided to swindle the passengers.
6. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
(a) Don Victor.
(c) Don Tiburcio.
7. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
(a) He tells her that she should help her mother more.
(b) He tells her that she is not as pretty as Sophia.
(c) He tells her she is too small to help gather the gold.
(d) He tells her she should release her pet deer into the forest.
8. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
(a) They attack those who are rising against them.
(b) They do nothing and wait for the villagers to calm down.
(c) They flee from the village.
(d) They taunt the angry crowds.
9. Why does Dona Guadalupe and her family crush the gold ore they have discovered into dust?
(a) To make it seem like it came from the river.
(b) To make it seem like they have more.
(c) Because that is what you are supposed to do to gold ore.
(d) Because it is more ore than gold.
10. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
(a) Some bread and fish.
(b) A glass of wine.
(c) A tamale.
(d) A glass of Tequila.
11. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
(a) She is angry and wants to say good-bye to him forever.
(b) She recognizes that she should donate them to others.
(c) She needs to move and cannot take them all with her.
(d) She is going to buy him all new clothes for his return.
12. Who does Don Benito feel that he needs to impress in Chapter 3?
(a) Dona Guadalupe.
(c) Colonel Maytorena.
(d) Don Manuel.
13. Why does Juan Salvador distract the foreman of a farm as his family is passing it?
(a) Because he is a troublemaker.
(b) So that his family can cut through the field as a shortcut.
(c) So that his family can steal corn.
(d) So that his family can sneak into the barn to take a nap.
14. Many years after the new community is settled, how does the revolution affect this small community?
(a) Their community is raided and their livestock stolen.
(b) The community becomes rich because of the revolution.
(c) The revolution does not really affect their community.
(d) Their community becomes a base camp for the Federales.
15. What year does the Mexican Revolution start?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lupe find near the altar that she has made for Colonel Maytorena?
2. Where does Don Castro set out from when leaving to start a new community?
3. Who is Epitacio?
4. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
5. Where is most of the good firewood found?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)