|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lupe find near the altar that she has made for Colonel Maytorena?
(a) A letter from the Colonel.
(b) A small fawn.
(c) A small clump of gold ore.
(d) A rifle.
2. Why does the first owner sell the spring?
(a) He does not sell it. It is stolen.
(b) The war makes it too dangerous.
(c) The nuggets are depleted.
(d) He has to move back to his home country.
3. What horrible thing has happened to Juan's sister Emilia?
(a) She was sick with fever.
(b) She lost her voice forever.
(c) She was raped by soldiers.
(d) She was run over by a horse.
4. Who is the mayor's eldest daughter?
5. Who has convinced Maria that she should elope?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her best friend.
(c) Her lover.
(d) Her sister.
6. How is the time of day described when Socorro is giving birth?
(a) The sun is blazing in the sky.
(b) It is a dark night with no moon or stars for light.
(c) There is a full moon.
(d) The rain is storming outside.
7. What town does Don Victor tell Guadalupe about and convince her to go with him?
(a) El Paso.
(b) Rancho Cucamonga.
(c) La Lluvia de Oro.
8. What weapon does Dona Guadalupe give to her son after she frees him from being hanged?
(a) A heavy hatchet.
(b) A bow and arrow.
(c) A large dagger.
(d) An old pistol.
9. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
(a) Because without money the family will starve.
(b) Because he likes selling firewood.
(c) Because his father used to sell firewood as well.
(d) He wants to be a small business owner.
10. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
(a) In horse manure.
(b) In the horse corral.
(c) In cacti.
(d) In small holes in the earth.
11. Who does Don Benito fall in love with while in town?
12. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
(a) Two months.
(b) About a year.
(c) Two and a half years.
(d) Nine months.
13. What is the name of the young man who is hired by Don Benito to help move rocks and earth from the gold find?
14. What does Juan use to bundle up the firewood he has collected?
(a) A small string.
(b) Dried out long grass.
(c) His belt.
(d) A long palm leaf.
15. Where is most of the good firewood found?
(a) By the river.
(b) In Juarez.
(d) High in the top branches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dona Guadalupe and her family crush the gold ore they have discovered into dust?
2. Where does Don Victor go in search of work?
3. Which of his daughters accompanies Don Victor back to the lowlands?
4. When Lupe first sees Don Victor coming towards the village, what does she think he is?
5. Victoriano is badly beaten after trying to defend what from the bandits?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)