|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does La Liebre decide to have Victoriano hanged in the town square?
(a) He and Victoriano are fighting over the same woman.
(b) Just because.
(c) He thinks the ore he has is more valuable than it is.
(d) He is angry because the boy talked back to him in a crowd.
2. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
(c) Don Tiburcio.
(d) Don Victor.
3. Where is most of the good firewood found?
(a) In Juarez.
(c) By the river.
(d) High in the top branches.
4. Who does Don Benito fall in love with while in town?
5. Where do Dona Guadalupe and her children hide when the army horsemen come through their canyon?
(a) In the mine.
(b) On a high cliff in the canyon.
(c) A cave under the large boulder.
(d) A secret basement in their small house.
6. What does Lupe find near the altar that she has made for Colonel Maytorena?
(a) A letter from the Colonel.
(b) A small fawn.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A small clump of gold ore.
7. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
(a) In cacti.
(b) In small holes in the earth.
(c) In horse manure.
(d) In the horse corral.
8. Where does Lupe go to school?
(a) At her neighbors, Tia Juanita's.
(b) At the Universidad.
(c) The small school in the next town.
(d) The American compound near the mine.
9. What job does Dona Margarita get so that she can feed her family?
(a) She is a worker in a small market.
(b) She gets a job as a seamstress in town.
(c) She does not have a job, she begs in the city.
(d) She is a housecleaner.
10. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
(a) She cautions Lupe to stay away from the main roads.
(b) She warns Lupe not to go too near the mines.
(c) She warns Lupe not to like the Colonel too much.
(d) She cautions Lupe to not leave their hiding place.
11. What does the Colonel give to Lupe to give to her teacher?
(a) A card.
(b) A small box.
(c) A book.
(d) An apple.
12. What special gift does Don Tiburcio bring to Dona Guadalupe for her family to share?
(a) A large box of chocolates.
(b) A small pack of colorful papers.
(c) A big bottle of wine.
(d) A honeyed ham.
13. Why are the animals howling and calling out while Socorro is giving birth?
(a) It is feeding time and they are hungry.
(b) They can hear the Federales approaching.
(c) They sense the impending doom coming.
(d) They are responding to her screams.
14. Who makes fun of Lupe in front of the whole class on her first day at school?
15. What favor does Senora Munoz ask of Lupe at school one day?
(a) To bring her a little cheese each day.
(b) To not tell anyone she is leaving soon.
(c) To take a letter to Victoriano for her.
(d) To hide a small box at her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
2. What does Leonides do to the little Indian girl who runs at him from a burning house?
3. What one item of Colonel Maytorena's clothing does Lupe rescue from being discarded?
4. When Juan is talking to God, who does he say he needs help for?
5. What does Dona Guadalupe want to do with her share of the gold that they have found?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)