|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Espirito searching for in Chapter 1?
(b) A place to hunt.
(c) His sister.
(d) Drinkable water.
2. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
(a) A beautiful veil.
(b) Lace for her dress.
(c) Brand new stockings.
(d) A large hat.
3. Who is Epitacio?
(a) Don Castro's uncle.
(b) Luisa's second husband.
(c) Juan Salvador's oldest brother.
(d) Dona Margarita's brother-in-law.
4. What is the name of Juan Salvador's youngest brother?
5. What is the name of the young man who is hired by Don Benito to help move rocks and earth from the gold find?
6. What job does Dona Margarita get so that she can feed her family?
(a) She gets a job as a seamstress in town.
(b) She is a housecleaner.
(c) She is a worker in a small market.
(d) She does not have a job, she begs in the city.
7. How is the time of day described when Socorro is giving birth?
(a) The sun is blazing in the sky.
(b) The rain is storming outside.
(c) It is a dark night with no moon or stars for light.
(d) There is a full moon.
8. What has the mine been named?
(a) La Lluvia de Oro.
(b) El Camino Real.
(c) El Rio Urique.
(d) Plata del Mundo.
9. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
(a) Because he likes selling firewood.
(b) He wants to be a small business owner.
(c) Because his father used to sell firewood as well.
(d) Because without money the family will starve.
10. Who makes fun of Lupe in front of the whole class on her first day at school?
11. What is Don Victor's job when he meets Guadalupe?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A store owner.
(c) A tanner.
(d) A carpenter.
12. Who is congratulated by the midwife for her assistance during Socorro's delivery?
(a) Dona Guadalupe.
13. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
(a) She warns Lupe not to go too near the mines.
(b) She warns Lupe not to like the Colonel too much.
(c) She cautions Lupe to stay away from the main roads.
(d) She cautions Lupe to not leave their hiding place.
14. Where does Lupe go to school?
(a) The American compound near the mine.
(b) The small school in the next town.
(c) At the Universidad.
(d) At her neighbors, Tia Juanita's.
15. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
(a) In small holes in the earth.
(b) In horse manure.
(c) In cacti.
(d) In the horse corral.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Juan is talking to God, who does he say he needs help for?
2. What is the reaction of Juan Salvador and his family upon seeing El Paso?
3. What does the midwife say about the pain tolerance of men?
4. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
5. What family pet does Dona Margarita have to kill for food?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)