|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the town midwife?
2. How do Dona Guadalupe and her children make money?
(a) By feeding the miners.
(b) By selling fruit in town.
(c) By selling their portion of the mine.
(d) By housing the miners.
3. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
(a) She is angry and wants to say good-bye to him forever.
(b) She is going to buy him all new clothes for his return.
(c) She needs to move and cannot take them all with her.
(d) She recognizes that she should donate them to others.
4. Why does Dona Guadalupe and her family crush the gold ore they have discovered into dust?
(a) To make it seem like it came from the river.
(b) Because it is more ore than gold.
(c) Because that is what you are supposed to do to gold ore.
(d) To make it seem like they have more.
5. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
(a) She cautions Lupe to not leave their hiding place.
(b) She warns Lupe not to like the Colonel too much.
(c) She warns Lupe not to go too near the mines.
(d) She cautions Lupe to stay away from the main roads.
6. Why does Juan Salvador distract the foreman of a farm as his family is passing it?
(a) So that his family can cut through the field as a shortcut.
(b) So that his family can sneak into the barn to take a nap.
(c) So that his family can steal corn.
(d) Because he is a troublemaker.
7. How is the time of day described when Socorro is giving birth?
(a) It is a dark night with no moon or stars for light.
(b) The rain is storming outside.
(c) There is a full moon.
(d) The sun is blazing in the sky.
8. What is Colonel Maytorena's job while in Lupe's town?
(a) He is there to become the next mayor of the town.
(b) He is in charge of the mine for the American company.
(c) He is stationed to oversee the military presence in the valley.
(d) He is in charge of building a road out of the valley.
9. Who is Epitacio?
(a) Don Castro's uncle.
(b) Dona Margarita's brother-in-law.
(c) Luisa's second husband.
(d) Juan Salvador's oldest brother.
10. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Two and a half years.
(c) Two months.
(d) About a year.
11. What favor does Senora Munoz ask of Lupe at school one day?
(a) To not tell anyone she is leaving soon.
(b) To take a letter to Victoriano for her.
(c) To hide a small box at her house.
(d) To bring her a little cheese each day.
12. How many babies does Socorro give birth to?
13. Why are the train passengers put off the train and forced to camp while the train leaves?
(a) Because the train cannot actually enter the U.S.
(b) Because the train driver is evil and has decided to swindle the passengers.
(c) Because these passengers do not have enough money to continue.
(d) Because the train is needed for the war effort.
14. What year does the Mexican Revolution start?
15. What is it that crashes into the canyon and causes many, including Guadalupe, to think it is the end of the world?
(a) A meteorite.
(b) A cannonball.
(c) A large boulder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Indian tribe is Leonides Camargo fighting against?
2. Who is the mayor's eldest daughter?
3. How many men start the new community with Don Castro?
4. What is Don Tiburcio's dying request to his wife?
5. Who does the second owner sell the mine to?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)