|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Dona Margarita get so that she can feed her family?
(a) She is a worker in a small market.
(b) She is a housecleaner.
(c) She does not have a job, she begs in the city.
(d) She gets a job as a seamstress in town.
2. Who does the second owner sell the mine to?
(a) A large American mining company.
(b) The Mexican Federales.
(c) Espirito's grandchildren.
(d) A British oil company.
3. Who is the mayor's eldest daughter?
4. What does the Colonel give to Lupe to give to her teacher?
(a) A card.
(b) An apple.
(c) A small box.
(d) A book.
5. Where does Don Victor go in search of work?
(a) Baja California.
(b) El Paso.
(c) The lowlands.
(d) The seashore.
6. On the day they are scheduled to blast the location where they located their gold, what does Victoriano forget and have to go back home to retrieve?
(a) The map to the exact location where the gold is.
(b) The lunches for the men.
(c) The flint to start off the dynamite.
(d) The dynamite.
7. Many years after the new community is settled, how does the revolution affect this small community?
(a) Their community is raided and their livestock stolen.
(b) The community becomes rich because of the revolution.
(c) The revolution does not really affect their community.
(d) Their community becomes a base camp for the Federales.
8. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
(a) The Guerillas and the Villistas.
(b) The Villistas and the Carranzistas.
(c) The Nationales and the Libertadidos.
(d) The Nationales and the Federales.
9. What special gift does Don Tiburcio bring to Dona Guadalupe for her family to share?
(a) A big bottle of wine.
(b) A small pack of colorful papers.
(c) A large box of chocolates.
(d) A honeyed ham.
10. What type of land are Don Castro and his companions looking for to start their new community?
(a) Land with gold to be mined.
(b) Fertile land.
(d) Coastal land.
11. Where does Don Castro set out from when leaving to start a new community?
(a) Mexico City.
(b) Ciudad del Oro.
(c) Baja California.
(d) Monte Negro.
12. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
(a) Don Tiburcio.
(d) Don Victor.
13. What does Dona Guadalupe offer to make for Don Benito?
(b) A rug.
14. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
(a) They do nothing and wait for the villagers to calm down.
(b) They attack those who are rising against them.
(c) They flee from the village.
(d) They taunt the angry crowds.
15. What is it that crashes into the canyon and causes many, including Guadalupe, to think it is the end of the world?
(a) A cannonball.
(c) A large boulder.
(d) A meteorite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Juan Salvador Villasenor traveling with his family in Chapter 8?
2. Who makes fun of Lupe in front of the whole class on her first day at school?
3. What is Espirito offered for the golden rocks in the springs?
4. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
5. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)