|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
(a) Because without money the family will starve.
(b) Because his father used to sell firewood as well.
(c) Because he likes selling firewood.
(d) He wants to be a small business owner.
2. Who is eloping with Maria?
3. What do the villagers do as a result of the revolution on their small community?
(a) They fight back and reclaim their town.
(b) They scatter to start another community elsewhere.
(c) They do nothing.
(d) They start heading for the U.S.
4. What favor does Senora Munoz ask of Lupe at school one day?
(a) To take a letter to Victoriano for her.
(b) To not tell anyone she is leaving soon.
(c) To hide a small box at her house.
(d) To bring her a little cheese each day.
5. What is Don Tiburcio's dying request to his wife?
(a) He asks her to clean the fireplace and then leave.
(b) He asks her to make sure she never remarries.
(c) He asks her to bury him next to his mother.
(d) He asks her to burn down their house and leave.
6. How many babies does Socorro give birth to?
7. What is the name of Colonel Maytorena's wife?
8. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
(a) A small army hospital.
(b) A rich family's house.
(c) The local mine.
(d) A vegetable shop in town.
9. Where does Don Victor go in search of work?
(a) The lowlands.
(b) El Paso.
(c) Baja California.
(d) The seashore.
10. What does Leonides do to the little Indian girl who runs at him from a burning house?
(a) He gives her to an old lady on the outskirts of town.
(b) He lets another soldier kill her.
(c) He throws her into prison.
(d) He takes her as his own.
11. Who goes with Don Castro to start a new community?
(a) Dona Guadalupe.
(b) His two brothers.
(c) His wife and three children.
12. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
(a) The Nationales and the Federales.
(b) The Guerillas and the Villistas.
(c) The Villistas and the Carranzistas.
(d) The Nationales and the Libertadidos.
13. Victoriano is badly beaten after trying to defend what from the bandits?
(a) His dog.
(b) His sister.
(c) The gold his family has collected.
(d) A food he has just hunted.
14. Who is Don Juan?
(a) Dona Guadalupe's brother.
(b) The teacher.
(c) The mayor of the town.
(d) Colonel Maytorena's boss.
15. What does Juan realize as he goes to carry the wood back to the city?
(a) He hates God.
(b) The pile of wood is too heavy.
(c) He does not want to return to the town.
(d) The war is very important to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dona Guadalupe want to do with her share of the gold that they have found?
2. Who is having trouble keeping the secret that they have discovered gold?
3. Where does Don Castro set out from when leaving to start a new community?
4. Why are the train passengers put off the train and forced to camp while the train leaves?
5. Why do the poor Mexicans think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)