|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dona Guadalupe and her family crush the gold ore they have discovered into dust?
(a) Because it is more ore than gold.
(b) Because that is what you are supposed to do to gold ore.
(c) To make it seem like it came from the river.
(d) To make it seem like they have more.
2. What job does Dona Margarita get so that she can feed her family?
(a) She gets a job as a seamstress in town.
(b) She is a housecleaner.
(c) She does not have a job, she begs in the city.
(d) She is a worker in a small market.
3. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
(a) She needs to move and cannot take them all with her.
(b) She is angry and wants to say good-bye to him forever.
(c) She is going to buy him all new clothes for his return.
(d) She recognizes that she should donate them to others.
4. Who does the second owner sell the mine to?
(a) A large American mining company.
(b) A British oil company.
(c) The Mexican Federales.
(d) Espirito's grandchildren.
5. How do Dona Guadalupe and her children make money?
(a) By housing the miners.
(b) By selling their portion of the mine.
(c) By selling fruit in town.
(d) By feeding the miners.
6. What does Dona Guadalupe want to do with her share of the gold that they have found?
(a) She wants to move her family to the United States.
(b) She wants to buy a ranchero in the country.
(c) She wants to find a nice house in Mexico City.
(d) She wants to make sure her children go to college.
7. What is Colonel Maytorena's job while in Lupe's town?
(a) He is stationed to oversee the military presence in the valley.
(b) He is in charge of the mine for the American company.
(c) He is there to become the next mayor of the town.
(d) He is in charge of building a road out of the valley.
8. Who is Don Juan?
(a) The mayor of the town.
(b) Dona Guadalupe's brother.
(c) The teacher.
(d) Colonel Maytorena's boss.
9. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
(a) Because he likes selling firewood.
(b) Because his father used to sell firewood as well.
(c) Because without money the family will starve.
(d) He wants to be a small business owner.
10. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
(a) He tells her she is too small to help gather the gold.
(b) He tells her she should release her pet deer into the forest.
(c) He tells her that she should help her mother more.
(d) He tells her that she is not as pretty as Sophia.
11. What is the name of the town midwife?
12. What does Leonides do to the little Indian girl who runs at him from a burning house?
(a) He lets another soldier kill her.
(b) He throws her into prison.
(c) He gives her to an old lady on the outskirts of town.
(d) He takes her as his own.
13. When Juan is talking to God, who does he say he needs help for?
(a) For his father.
(b) For the Mexican people.
(c) For himself.
(d) For his mother.
14. What is the one condition that Espirito and his people put on the spring when they sell it?
(a) No digging allowed, they can only take rocks at the surface.
(b) They must pay taxes to the community to live there.
(c) They must not impose on the community.
(d) They are only allowed to stay for six months out of the year.
15. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
(a) In cacti.
(b) In horse manure.
(c) In the horse corral.
(d) In small holes in the earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dona Guadalupe and her children hide when the army horsemen come through their canyon?
2. Why does the first owner sell the spring?
3. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
4. Where does Lupe go to school?
5. Who does Don Benito fall in love with while in town?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)