|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one item of Colonel Maytorena's clothing does Lupe rescue from being discarded?
(a) His blue hat.
(b) His black gloves.
(c) His gray coat.
(d) His white shirt.
2. What does the Colonel give to Lupe to give to her teacher?
(a) A book.
(b) A small box.
(c) A card.
(d) An apple.
3. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
(a) A large hat.
(b) A beautiful veil.
(c) Lace for her dress.
(d) Brand new stockings.
4. What family pet does Dona Margarita have to kill for food?
(a) Inocenta's duck.
(b) Juan's burro.
(c) Luisa's goat.
(d) Dona Margarita's dog.
5. Why does La Liebre decide to have Victoriano hanged in the town square?
(a) He thinks the ore he has is more valuable than it is.
(b) He and Victoriano are fighting over the same woman.
(c) Just because.
(d) He is angry because the boy talked back to him in a crowd.
6. As Juan heads back to Juarez, how does the city look?
(a) The city looks beautiful and colorful.
(b) The city looks as though there is a celebration happening.
(c) The city looks like it is burning.
(d) The city looks dark and lifeless.
7. What weapon does Dona Guadalupe give to her son after she frees him from being hanged?
(a) A bow and arrow.
(b) A large dagger.
(c) A heavy hatchet.
(d) An old pistol.
8. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
(a) A vegetable shop in town.
(b) A small army hospital.
(c) The local mine.
(d) A rich family's house.
9. Why are the people in the village leaving to find work in other areas?
(a) Because they are sick of working for the Americans.
(b) Because the war is coming to their village.
(c) Because a new, larger mine is opening up in another city.
(d) Because the Americans shut down the mine.
10. What is Don Victor's job when he meets Guadalupe?
(a) A tanner.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A store owner.
(d) A carpenter.
11. Who misses the train to America with Juan?
(a) No one, he is all alone.
12. What is Espirito offered for the golden rocks in the springs?
(a) Ten percent of the gold.
(b) All the clothes and food his people could need.
(c) A large ranch of his own.
(d) One million dollars.
13. What has the mine been named?
(a) El Camino Real.
(b) El Rio Urique.
(c) Plata del Mundo.
(d) La Lluvia de Oro.
14. What does Leonides do to the little Indian girl who runs at him from a burning house?
(a) He takes her as his own.
(b) He lets another soldier kill her.
(c) He gives her to an old lady on the outskirts of town.
(d) He throws her into prison.
15. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
(b) Don Tiburcio.
(c) Don Victor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
2. Who goes with Don Castro to start a new community?
3. Victoriano is badly beaten after trying to defend what from the bandits?
4. What do Epitacio and Juan see across the Rio Grande?
5. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)