|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the animals howling and calling out while Socorro is giving birth?
(a) They sense the impending doom coming.
(b) They are responding to her screams.
(c) It is feeding time and they are hungry.
(d) They can hear the Federales approaching.
2. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two and a half years.
(c) Nine months.
(d) About a year.
3. Why is La Liebre upset with Dona Guadalupe and her family?
(a) Victoriano tried to marry the woman he loves.
(b) Because they are friends of Colonel Maytorena.
(c) Dona Guadalupe caused his horse to break its leg.
(d) Dona Guadalupe tried to take the gold from his land.
4. What weapon does Dona Guadalupe give to her son after she frees him from being hanged?
(a) A bow and arrow.
(b) A heavy hatchet.
(c) An old pistol.
(d) A large dagger.
5. Where does Don Castro set out from when leaving to start a new community?
(a) Monte Negro.
(b) Mexico City.
(c) Ciudad del Oro.
(d) Baja California.
6. Who is the mayor's eldest daughter?
7. What family pet does Dona Margarita have to kill for food?
(a) Juan's burro.
(b) Dona Margarita's dog.
(c) Luisa's goat.
(d) Inocenta's duck.
8. Which of Dona Guadalupe's daughters does Don Tiburcio seek to marry?
9. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
(a) A small army hospital.
(b) A rich family's house.
(c) A vegetable shop in town.
(d) The local mine.
10. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
(a) The Nationales and the Libertadidos.
(b) The Guerillas and the Villistas.
(c) The Nationales and the Federales.
(d) The Villistas and the Carranzistas.
11. Which powerful person is killed by Victoriano?
(a) Don Tiburcio.
(b) Don Manuel.
(c) Colonel Maytorena.
(d) La Liebre.
12. What is the name of the young man who is hired by Don Benito to help move rocks and earth from the gold find?
13. How is the time of day described when Socorro is giving birth?
(a) It is a dark night with no moon or stars for light.
(b) There is a full moon.
(c) The sun is blazing in the sky.
(d) The rain is storming outside.
14. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
(a) Because he likes selling firewood.
(b) Because without money the family will starve.
(c) Because his father used to sell firewood as well.
(d) He wants to be a small business owner.
15. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
(a) She warns Lupe not to go too near the mines.
(b) She cautions Lupe to not leave their hiding place.
(c) She warns Lupe not to like the Colonel too much.
(d) She cautions Lupe to stay away from the main roads.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many babies does Socorro give birth to?
2. What one item of Colonel Maytorena's clothing does Lupe rescue from being discarded?
3. Where do Dona Guadalupe and her children hide when the army horsemen come through their canyon?
4. Who does Don Benito feel that he needs to impress in Chapter 3?
5. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)