|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Dona Margarita get so that she can feed her family?
(a) She does not have a job, she begs in the city.
(b) She is a housecleaner.
(c) She gets a job as a seamstress in town.
(d) She is a worker in a small market.
2. Why are the animals howling and calling out while Socorro is giving birth?
(a) It is feeding time and they are hungry.
(b) They can hear the Federales approaching.
(c) They are responding to her screams.
(d) They sense the impending doom coming.
3. Who does the second owner sell the mine to?
(a) The Mexican Federales.
(b) A large American mining company.
(c) A British oil company.
(d) Espirito's grandchildren.
4. Why does La Liebre decide to have Victoriano hanged in the town square?
(a) He thinks the ore he has is more valuable than it is.
(b) He and Victoriano are fighting over the same woman.
(c) He is angry because the boy talked back to him in a crowd.
(d) Just because.
5. What is it that crashes into the canyon and causes many, including Guadalupe, to think it is the end of the world?
(a) A meteorite.
(b) A large boulder.
(d) A cannonball.
6. What town does Don Victor tell Guadalupe about and convince her to go with him?
(a) La Lluvia de Oro.
(b) Rancho Cucamonga.
(c) El Paso.
7. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
(a) A tamale.
(b) Some bread and fish.
(c) A glass of Tequila.
(d) A glass of wine.
8. Who has convinced Maria that she should elope?
(a) Her lover.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her best friend.
9. What year does the Mexican Revolution start?
10. What does the midwife say about the pain tolerance of men?
(a) That the only pain men feel is the pain of love.
(b) That men feel no pain whatsoever.
(c) That men cannot stand pain as women can.
(d) That men have a much higher pain tolerance then women.
11. Who makes fun of Lupe in front of the whole class on her first day at school?
12. Why does the first owner sell the spring?
(a) He has to move back to his home country.
(b) The nuggets are depleted.
(c) He does not sell it. It is stolen.
(d) The war makes it too dangerous.
13. What does Lupe find near the altar that she has made for Colonel Maytorena?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A letter from the Colonel.
(c) A small clump of gold ore.
(d) A small fawn.
14. Who is congratulated by the midwife for her assistance during Socorro's delivery?
(a) Dona Guadalupe.
15. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Two months.
(c) About a year.
(d) Two and a half years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
2. What is the name of the town midwife?
3. As Juan heads back to Juarez, how does the city look?
4. Which of Dona Guadalupe's daughters does Don Tiburcio seek to marry?
5. What is the name of the young man who is hired by Don Benito to help move rocks and earth from the gold find?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)