|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Dona Guadalupe and her children make money?
(a) By selling their portion of the mine.
(b) By selling fruit in town.
(c) By feeding the miners.
(d) By housing the miners.
2. What does Lupe find near the altar that she has made for Colonel Maytorena?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A letter from the Colonel.
(c) A small clump of gold ore.
(d) A small fawn.
3. What year does the Mexican Revolution start?
4. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
(a) A beautiful veil.
(b) A large hat.
(c) Brand new stockings.
(d) Lace for her dress.
5. What do the villagers do as a result of the revolution on their small community?
(a) They do nothing.
(b) They start heading for the U.S.
(c) They scatter to start another community elsewhere.
(d) They fight back and reclaim their town.
6. What favor does Senora Munoz ask of Lupe at school one day?
(a) To hide a small box at her house.
(b) To not tell anyone she is leaving soon.
(c) To bring her a little cheese each day.
(d) To take a letter to Victoriano for her.
7. What does Leonides do to the little Indian girl who runs at him from a burning house?
(a) He lets another soldier kill her.
(b) He throws her into prison.
(c) He takes her as his own.
(d) He gives her to an old lady on the outskirts of town.
8. Who is congratulated by the midwife for her assistance during Socorro's delivery?
(c) Dona Guadalupe.
9. What is the one condition that Espirito and his people put on the spring when they sell it?
(a) They must pay taxes to the community to live there.
(b) They are only allowed to stay for six months out of the year.
(c) No digging allowed, they can only take rocks at the surface.
(d) They must not impose on the community.
10. Why does La Liebre decide to have Victoriano hanged in the town square?
(a) Just because.
(b) He thinks the ore he has is more valuable than it is.
(c) He is angry because the boy talked back to him in a crowd.
(d) He and Victoriano are fighting over the same woman.
11. Where does Lupe go to school?
(a) The American compound near the mine.
(b) The small school in the next town.
(c) At her neighbors, Tia Juanita's.
(d) At the Universidad.
12. What job does Dona Margarita get so that she can feed her family?
(a) She gets a job as a seamstress in town.
(b) She is a worker in a small market.
(c) She does not have a job, she begs in the city.
(d) She is a housecleaner.
13. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
(a) A rich family's house.
(b) The local mine.
(c) A small army hospital.
(d) A vegetable shop in town.
14. Where does Don Victor go in search of work?
(a) Baja California.
(b) The seashore.
(c) El Paso.
(d) The lowlands.
15. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
(a) He wants to be a small business owner.
(b) Because he likes selling firewood.
(c) Because without money the family will starve.
(d) Because his father used to sell firewood as well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young man who is hired by Don Benito to help move rocks and earth from the gold find?
2. What is the name of the town midwife?
3. What is Don Tiburcio's dying request to his wife?
4. Why do the poor Mexicans think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
5. What is in the pack that Don Victor brings on his back upon his return to his family?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)