Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
(a) In small holes in the earth.
(b) In horse manure.
(c) In the horse corral.
(d) In cacti.
2. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
(a) Two and a half years.
(b) Two months.
(c) About a year.
(d) Nine months.
3. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
(a) A glass of wine.
(b) A tamale.
(c) A glass of Tequila.
(d) Some bread and fish.
4. Who is Epitacio?
(a) Don Castro's uncle.
(b) Juan Salvador's oldest brother.
(c) Luisa's second husband.
(d) Dona Margarita's brother-in-law.
5. What is Don Victor's job when he meets Guadalupe?
(a) A store owner.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A tanner.
(d) A carpenter.
6. What does Leonides do to the little Indian girl who runs at him from a burning house?
(a) He lets another soldier kill her.
(b) He gives her to an old lady on the outskirts of town.
(c) He takes her as his own.
(d) He throws her into prison.
7. What is Colonel Maytorena's job while in Lupe's town?
(a) He is stationed to oversee the military presence in the valley.
(b) He is in charge of building a road out of the valley.
(c) He is there to become the next mayor of the town.
(d) He is in charge of the mine for the American company.
8. What does Lupe find near the altar that she has made for Colonel Maytorena?
(a) A letter from the Colonel.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A small fawn.
(d) A small clump of gold ore.
9. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
(a) She warns Lupe not to like the Colonel too much.
(b) She warns Lupe not to go too near the mines.
(c) She cautions Lupe to stay away from the main roads.
(d) She cautions Lupe to not leave their hiding place.
10. How is the time of day described when Socorro is giving birth?
(a) The sun is blazing in the sky.
(b) It is a dark night with no moon or stars for light.
(c) There is a full moon.
(d) The rain is storming outside.
11. Who is having trouble keeping the secret that they have discovered gold?
(a) Dona Guadalupe.
(b) Don Victor.
(c) Victoriano and Don Benito.
(d) Lupe and Victoriano.
12. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
(b) Don Tiburcio.
(c) Don Victor.
13. What job does Dona Margarita get so that she can feed her family?
(a) She is a worker in a small market.
(b) She is a housecleaner.
(c) She does not have a job, she begs in the city.
(d) She gets a job as a seamstress in town.
14. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
(a) The local mine.
(b) A rich family's house.
(c) A small army hospital.
(d) A vegetable shop in town.
15. Where does Don Victor go in search of work?
(a) The seashore.
(b) El Paso.
(c) The lowlands.
(d) Baja California.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day they are scheduled to blast the location where they located their gold, what does Victoriano forget and have to go back home to retrieve?
2. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
3. Why does Juan Salvador distract the foreman of a farm as his family is passing it?
4. Who does Don Benito fall in love with while in town?
5. Where is Juan Salvador Villasenor traveling with his family in Chapter 8?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)