|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Dona Guadalupe and her children hide when the army horsemen come through their canyon?
(a) On a high cliff in the canyon.
(b) A secret basement in their small house.
(c) A cave under the large boulder.
(d) In the mine.
2. Where does Don Castro set out from when leaving to start a new community?
(a) Mexico City.
(b) Monte Negro.
(c) Baja California.
(d) Ciudad del Oro.
3. Where is Juan Salvador Villasenor traveling with his family in Chapter 8?
(a) El Paso.
(c) Los Feliz.
4. What does Juan use to bundle up the firewood he has collected?
(a) A long palm leaf.
(b) A small string.
(c) His belt.
(d) Dried out long grass.
5. What is it that crashes into the canyon and causes many, including Guadalupe, to think it is the end of the world?
(a) A cannonball.
(c) A meteorite.
(d) A large boulder.
6. What is Espirito searching for in Chapter 1?
(a) His sister.
(c) Drinkable water.
(d) A place to hunt.
7. What is the name of Colonel Maytorena's wife?
8. Why are the people in the village leaving to find work in other areas?
(a) Because the war is coming to their village.
(b) Because they are sick of working for the Americans.
(c) Because the Americans shut down the mine.
(d) Because a new, larger mine is opening up in another city.
9. What is Colonel Maytorena's job while in Lupe's town?
(a) He is stationed to oversee the military presence in the valley.
(b) He is in charge of the mine for the American company.
(c) He is there to become the next mayor of the town.
(d) He is in charge of building a road out of the valley.
10. What does the midwife say about the pain tolerance of men?
(a) That men feel no pain whatsoever.
(b) That men cannot stand pain as women can.
(c) That the only pain men feel is the pain of love.
(d) That men have a much higher pain tolerance then women.
11. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
(a) The Guerillas and the Villistas.
(b) The Nationales and the Libertadidos.
(c) The Villistas and the Carranzistas.
(d) The Nationales and the Federales.
12. What is the name of the town midwife?
13. Which powerful person is killed by Victoriano?
(a) Don Manuel.
(b) Colonel Maytorena.
(c) La Liebre.
(d) Don Tiburcio.
14. Victoriano is badly beaten after trying to defend what from the bandits?
(a) His sister.
(b) A food he has just hunted.
(c) The gold his family has collected.
(d) His dog.
15. Why does Juan Salvador distract the foreman of a farm as his family is passing it?
(a) So that his family can sneak into the barn to take a nap.
(b) So that his family can steal corn.
(c) Because he is a troublemaker.
(d) So that his family can cut through the field as a shortcut.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is congratulated by the midwife for her assistance during Socorro's delivery?
2. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
3. Which of Dona Guadalupe's daughters does Don Tiburcio seek to marry?
4. Who does the second owner sell the mine to?
5. Which of his daughters accompanies Don Victor back to the lowlands?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)