|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Don Victor go in search of work?
(a) Baja California.
(b) El Paso.
(c) The lowlands.
(d) The seashore.
2. What is the name of Juan Salvador's youngest brother?
3. Where is most of the good firewood found?
(a) In Juarez.
(c) By the river.
(d) High in the top branches.
4. What horrible thing has happened to Juan's sister Emilia?
(a) She lost her voice forever.
(b) She was sick with fever.
(c) She was raped by soldiers.
(d) She was run over by a horse.
5. What is in the pack that Don Victor brings on his back upon his return to his family?
(a) A large dead deer.
(b) Gold and money has has earned.
(c) A huge bundle of firewood.
(d) Ribbons, dried meat, and other gifts.
6. Who is congratulated by the midwife for her assistance during Socorro's delivery?
(d) Dona Guadalupe.
7. Who goes with Don Castro to start a new community?
(a) His two brothers.
(c) Dona Guadalupe.
(d) His wife and three children.
8. How many babies does Socorro give birth to?
9. Why does Juan Salvador distract the foreman of a farm as his family is passing it?
(a) So that his family can steal corn.
(b) So that his family can cut through the field as a shortcut.
(c) So that his family can sneak into the barn to take a nap.
(d) Because he is a troublemaker.
10. What does Juan use to bundle up the firewood he has collected?
(a) A long palm leaf.
(b) A small string.
(c) His belt.
(d) Dried out long grass.
11. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
(a) A glass of wine.
(b) Some bread and fish.
(c) A tamale.
(d) A glass of Tequila.
12. Which powerful person is killed by Victoriano?
(a) La Liebre.
(b) Don Tiburcio.
(c) Colonel Maytorena.
(d) Don Manuel.
13. Many years after the new community is settled, how does the revolution affect this small community?
(a) Their community is raided and their livestock stolen.
(b) The revolution does not really affect their community.
(c) The community becomes rich because of the revolution.
(d) Their community becomes a base camp for the Federales.
14. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
(a) She cautions Lupe to not leave their hiding place.
(b) She warns Lupe not to go too near the mines.
(c) She cautions Lupe to stay away from the main roads.
(d) She warns Lupe not to like the Colonel too much.
15. What does Juan realize as he goes to carry the wood back to the city?
(a) The war is very important to him.
(b) He hates God.
(c) The pile of wood is too heavy.
(d) He does not want to return to the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leonides do to the little Indian girl who runs at him from a burning house?
2. Why are the animals howling and calling out while Socorro is giving birth?
3. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
4. Who makes fun of Lupe in front of the whole class on her first day at school?
5. Why does La Liebre decide to have Victoriano hanged in the town square?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)