|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does the Mexican Revolution start?
2. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
(a) Because without money the family will starve.
(b) Because he likes selling firewood.
(c) Because his father used to sell firewood as well.
(d) He wants to be a small business owner.
3. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
(b) Don Tiburcio.
(d) Don Victor.
4. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
(a) He tells her she should release her pet deer into the forest.
(b) He tells her that she is not as pretty as Sophia.
(c) He tells her that she should help her mother more.
(d) He tells her she is too small to help gather the gold.
5. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
(a) She warns Lupe not to like the Colonel too much.
(b) She warns Lupe not to go too near the mines.
(c) She cautions Lupe to stay away from the main roads.
(d) She cautions Lupe to not leave their hiding place.
6. Why are the train passengers put off the train and forced to camp while the train leaves?
(a) Because the train driver is evil and has decided to swindle the passengers.
(b) Because the train cannot actually enter the U.S.
(c) Because these passengers do not have enough money to continue.
(d) Because the train is needed for the war effort.
7. Why are the people in the village leaving to find work in other areas?
(a) Because they are sick of working for the Americans.
(b) Because the Americans shut down the mine.
(c) Because a new, larger mine is opening up in another city.
(d) Because the war is coming to their village.
8. When Juan is talking to God, who does he say he needs help for?
(a) For the Mexican people.
(b) For his mother.
(c) For his father.
(d) For himself.
9. Victoriano is badly beaten after trying to defend what from the bandits?
(a) His dog.
(b) The gold his family has collected.
(c) A food he has just hunted.
(d) His sister.
10. What has the mine been named?
(a) La Lluvia de Oro.
(b) Plata del Mundo.
(c) El Rio Urique.
(d) El Camino Real.
11. On the day they are scheduled to blast the location where they located their gold, what does Victoriano forget and have to go back home to retrieve?
(a) The flint to start off the dynamite.
(b) The map to the exact location where the gold is.
(c) The lunches for the men.
(d) The dynamite.
12. What family pet does Dona Margarita have to kill for food?
(a) Luisa's goat.
(b) Dona Margarita's dog.
(c) Inocenta's duck.
(d) Juan's burro.
13. What is in the pack that Don Victor brings on his back upon his return to his family?
(a) A huge bundle of firewood.
(b) Gold and money has has earned.
(c) Ribbons, dried meat, and other gifts.
(d) A large dead deer.
14. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
(a) She recognizes that she should donate them to others.
(b) She needs to move and cannot take them all with her.
(c) She is angry and wants to say good-bye to him forever.
(d) She is going to buy him all new clothes for his return.
15. What is the name of Colonel Maytorena's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Juan Salvador's youngest brother?
2. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
3. Why does La Liebre decide to have Victoriano hanged in the town square?
4. What is Espirito searching for in Chapter 1?
5. Why do the poor Mexicans think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)