|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Dona Guadalupe's daughters does Don Tiburcio seek to marry?
2. Many years after the new community is settled, how does the revolution affect this small community?
(a) The revolution does not really affect their community.
(b) Their community is raided and their livestock stolen.
(c) Their community becomes a base camp for the Federales.
(d) The community becomes rich because of the revolution.
3. Why do the poor Mexicans think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
(a) He is here to bring salvation to the small village.
(b) He is an old war hero and is revered across the valley.
(c) Because he is fighting on the side of the revolution.
(d) He stood up to the American miners to make their working conditions better.
4. What does Juan use to bundle up the firewood he has collected?
(a) A long palm leaf.
(b) His belt.
(c) Dried out long grass.
(d) A small string.
5. Why are the animals howling and calling out while Socorro is giving birth?
(a) They sense the impending doom coming.
(b) It is feeding time and they are hungry.
(c) They can hear the Federales approaching.
(d) They are responding to her screams.
6. What job does Dona Margarita get so that she can feed her family?
(a) She does not have a job, she begs in the city.
(b) She is a worker in a small market.
(c) She gets a job as a seamstress in town.
(d) She is a housecleaner.
7. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
(a) Two and a half years.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Two months.
(d) About a year.
8. Who is congratulated by the midwife for her assistance during Socorro's delivery?
(d) Dona Guadalupe.
9. What do the villagers do as a result of the revolution on their small community?
(a) They start heading for the U.S.
(b) They do nothing.
(c) They scatter to start another community elsewhere.
(d) They fight back and reclaim their town.
10. What one item of Colonel Maytorena's clothing does Lupe rescue from being discarded?
(a) His gray coat.
(b) His white shirt.
(c) His black gloves.
(d) His blue hat.
11. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
(a) They attack those who are rising against them.
(b) They flee from the village.
(c) They taunt the angry crowds.
(d) They do nothing and wait for the villagers to calm down.
12. As Juan heads back to Juarez, how does the city look?
(a) The city looks dark and lifeless.
(b) The city looks like it is burning.
(c) The city looks as though there is a celebration happening.
(d) The city looks beautiful and colorful.
13. What favor does Senora Munoz ask of Lupe at school one day?
(a) To hide a small box at her house.
(b) To take a letter to Victoriano for her.
(c) To not tell anyone she is leaving soon.
(d) To bring her a little cheese each day.
14. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
(a) He wants to be a successful businessman.
(b) He is trying to get enough gold to make a ring.
(c) His mother needs help paying the bills.
(d) He is deliberately trying to anger the Americans.
15. What horrible thing has happened to Juan's sister Emilia?
(a) She lost her voice forever.
(b) She was sick with fever.
(c) She was raped by soldiers.
(d) She was run over by a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
2. How many babies does Socorro give birth to?
3. Who is eloping with Maria?
4. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
5. What is the one condition that Espirito and his people put on the spring when they sell it?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)