|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
(a) He tells her that she is not as pretty as Sophia.
(b) He tells her she should release her pet deer into the forest.
(c) He tells her that she should help her mother more.
(d) He tells her she is too small to help gather the gold.
2. Where does Don Castro set out from when leaving to start a new community?
(a) Monte Negro.
(b) Ciudad del Oro.
(c) Baja California.
(d) Mexico City.
3. What does Dona Guadalupe want to do with her share of the gold that they have found?
(a) She wants to buy a ranchero in the country.
(b) She wants to make sure her children go to college.
(c) She wants to move her family to the United States.
(d) She wants to find a nice house in Mexico City.
4. What is Colonel Maytorena's job while in Lupe's town?
(a) He is there to become the next mayor of the town.
(b) He is stationed to oversee the military presence in the valley.
(c) He is in charge of the mine for the American company.
(d) He is in charge of building a road out of the valley.
5. Why does the first owner sell the spring?
(a) He does not sell it. It is stolen.
(b) The nuggets are depleted.
(c) The war makes it too dangerous.
(d) He has to move back to his home country.
6. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
(a) She needs to move and cannot take them all with her.
(b) She recognizes that she should donate them to others.
(c) She is angry and wants to say good-bye to him forever.
(d) She is going to buy him all new clothes for his return.
7. What favor does Senora Munoz ask of Lupe at school one day?
(a) To take a letter to Victoriano for her.
(b) To not tell anyone she is leaving soon.
(c) To hide a small box at her house.
(d) To bring her a little cheese each day.
8. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
(a) A rich family's house.
(b) A small army hospital.
(c) The local mine.
(d) A vegetable shop in town.
9. Why does Dona Guadalupe and her family crush the gold ore they have discovered into dust?
(a) To make it seem like they have more.
(b) Because it is more ore than gold.
(c) To make it seem like it came from the river.
(d) Because that is what you are supposed to do to gold ore.
10. What is in the pack that Don Victor brings on his back upon his return to his family?
(a) Ribbons, dried meat, and other gifts.
(b) A large dead deer.
(c) Gold and money has has earned.
(d) A huge bundle of firewood.
11. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
(a) He wants to be a successful businessman.
(b) He is trying to get enough gold to make a ring.
(c) He is deliberately trying to anger the Americans.
(d) His mother needs help paying the bills.
12. What is Don Victor's job when he meets Guadalupe?
(a) A store owner.
(b) A carpenter.
(c) A tanner.
(d) A farmer.
13. What is Espirito offered for the golden rocks in the springs?
(a) One million dollars.
(b) All the clothes and food his people could need.
(c) A large ranch of his own.
(d) Ten percent of the gold.
14. What is the one condition that Espirito and his people put on the spring when they sell it?
(a) No digging allowed, they can only take rocks at the surface.
(b) They must not impose on the community.
(c) They must pay taxes to the community to live there.
(d) They are only allowed to stay for six months out of the year.
15. Why are the animals howling and calling out while Socorro is giving birth?
(a) They are responding to her screams.
(b) It is feeding time and they are hungry.
(c) They can hear the Federales approaching.
(d) They sense the impending doom coming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dona Guadalupe and her children hide when the army horsemen come through their canyon?
2. What is it that crashes into the canyon and causes many, including Guadalupe, to think it is the end of the world?
3. As Juan heads back to Juarez, how does the city look?
4. Which powerful person is killed by Victoriano?
5. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)