Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
(a) They flee from the village.
(b) They do nothing and wait for the villagers to calm down.
(c) They taunt the angry crowds.
(d) They attack those who are rising against them.
2. What is the name of Juan Salvador's youngest brother?
3. What is in the pack that Don Victor brings on his back upon his return to his family?
(a) Gold and money has has earned.
(b) Ribbons, dried meat, and other gifts.
(c) A large dead deer.
(d) A huge bundle of firewood.
4. What is Espirito offered for the golden rocks in the springs?
(a) All the clothes and food his people could need.
(b) One million dollars.
(c) Ten percent of the gold.
(d) A large ranch of his own.
5. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
(a) A glass of Tequila.
(b) A tamale.
(c) A glass of wine.
(d) Some bread and fish.
6. What is the name of the town midwife?
7. Victoriano is badly beaten after trying to defend what from the bandits?
(a) His sister.
(b) His dog.
(c) A food he has just hunted.
(d) The gold his family has collected.
8. Why do the poor Mexicans think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
(a) He is here to bring salvation to the small village.
(b) Because he is fighting on the side of the revolution.
(c) He is an old war hero and is revered across the valley.
(d) He stood up to the American miners to make their working conditions better.
9. Who makes fun of Lupe in front of the whole class on her first day at school?
10. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
(a) He is trying to get enough gold to make a ring.
(b) He wants to be a successful businessman.
(c) His mother needs help paying the bills.
(d) He is deliberately trying to anger the Americans.
11. What has the mine been named?
(a) El Camino Real.
(b) La Lluvia de Oro.
(c) Plata del Mundo.
(d) El Rio Urique.
12. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
(a) He tells her she is too small to help gather the gold.
(b) He tells her she should release her pet deer into the forest.
(c) He tells her that she should help her mother more.
(d) He tells her that she is not as pretty as Sophia.
13. What is the one condition that Espirito and his people put on the spring when they sell it?
(a) No digging allowed, they can only take rocks at the surface.
(b) They must pay taxes to the community to live there.
(c) They must not impose on the community.
(d) They are only allowed to stay for six months out of the year.
14. What does Juan realize as he goes to carry the wood back to the city?
(a) The pile of wood is too heavy.
(b) He does not want to return to the town.
(c) He hates God.
(d) The war is very important to him.
15. What does the Colonel give to Lupe to give to her teacher?
(a) A book.
(b) An apple.
(c) A small box.
(d) A card.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Epitacio and Juan see across the Rio Grande?
2. Who is the mayor's eldest daughter?
3. Who is Don Juan?
4. Who is having trouble keeping the secret that they have discovered gold?
5. Many years after the new community is settled, how does the revolution affect this small community?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)