|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Espirito offered for the golden rocks in the springs?
(a) A large ranch of his own.
(b) One million dollars.
(c) Ten percent of the gold.
(d) All the clothes and food his people could need.
2. At the funeral celebration for Don Benito, who announces that they are getting married?
(a) Marco and Sophia.
(b) Scott and Carmen.
(c) Lydia and Victoriano.
(d) Domingo and Luisa.
3. Why is La Liebre upset with Dona Guadalupe and her family?
(a) Victoriano tried to marry the woman he loves.
(b) Dona Guadalupe tried to take the gold from his land.
(c) Dona Guadalupe caused his horse to break its leg.
(d) Because they are friends of Colonel Maytorena.
4. Which of Dona Guadalupe's daughters does Don Tiburcio seek to marry?
5. What is Colonel Maytorena's job while in Lupe's town?
(a) He is there to become the next mayor of the town.
(b) He is in charge of the mine for the American company.
(c) He is stationed to oversee the military presence in the valley.
(d) He is in charge of building a road out of the valley.
6. When Lupe first sees Don Victor coming towards the village, what does she think he is?
(a) An American.
(b) La Liebre.
(c) The Devil.
(d) Some sort of strange creature.
7. How do Dona Guadalupe and her children make money?
(a) By housing the miners.
(b) By feeding the miners.
(c) By selling their portion of the mine.
(d) By selling fruit in town.
8. What year does the Mexican Revolution start?
9. Why does La Liebre decide to have Victoriano hanged in the town square?
(a) Just because.
(b) He and Victoriano are fighting over the same woman.
(c) He thinks the ore he has is more valuable than it is.
(d) He is angry because the boy talked back to him in a crowd.
10. Who does Don Benito feel that he needs to impress in Chapter 3?
(a) Don Manuel.
(b) Dona Guadalupe.
(d) Colonel Maytorena.
11. What has the mine been named?
(a) La Lluvia de Oro.
(b) El Camino Real.
(c) El Rio Urique.
(d) Plata del Mundo.
12. Why are the animals howling and calling out while Socorro is giving birth?
(a) It is feeding time and they are hungry.
(b) They can hear the Federales approaching.
(c) They are responding to her screams.
(d) They sense the impending doom coming.
13. What one item of Colonel Maytorena's clothing does Lupe rescue from being discarded?
(a) His white shirt.
(b) His blue hat.
(c) His gray coat.
(d) His black gloves.
14. On the day they are scheduled to blast the location where they located their gold, what does Victoriano forget and have to go back home to retrieve?
(a) The lunches for the men.
(b) The dynamite.
(c) The flint to start off the dynamite.
(d) The map to the exact location where the gold is.
15. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
(a) She recognizes that she should donate them to others.
(b) She is angry and wants to say good-bye to him forever.
(c) She needs to move and cannot take them all with her.
(d) She is going to buy him all new clothes for his return.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of land are Don Castro and his companions looking for to start their new community?
2. Who is congratulated by the midwife for her assistance during Socorro's delivery?
3. Why are the train passengers put off the train and forced to camp while the train leaves?
4. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
5. What does the midwife say about the pain tolerance of men?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)