|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the mine been named?
(a) Plata del Mundo.
(b) El Rio Urique.
(c) La Lluvia de Oro.
(d) El Camino Real.
2. What type of land are Don Castro and his companions looking for to start their new community?
(a) Land with gold to be mined.
(c) Coastal land.
(d) Fertile land.
3. What is the one condition that Espirito and his people put on the spring when they sell it?
(a) They must pay taxes to the community to live there.
(b) They are only allowed to stay for six months out of the year.
(c) They must not impose on the community.
(d) No digging allowed, they can only take rocks at the surface.
4. Where do Dona Guadalupe and her children hide when the army horsemen come through their canyon?
(a) A secret basement in their small house.
(b) On a high cliff in the canyon.
(c) In the mine.
(d) A cave under the large boulder.
5. What is it that crashes into the canyon and causes many, including Guadalupe, to think it is the end of the world?
(b) A large boulder.
(c) A meteorite.
(d) A cannonball.
6. What do Epitacio and Juan see across the Rio Grande?
(a) Nothing but the same poor people and ugly streets.
(b) They see another war on the other side.
(c) The untouched houses of the Americans.
(d) A wild forest.
7. What do the villagers do as a result of the revolution on their small community?
(a) They do nothing.
(b) They scatter to start another community elsewhere.
(c) They fight back and reclaim their town.
(d) They start heading for the U.S.
8. What does Dona Guadalupe want to do with her share of the gold that they have found?
(a) She wants to buy a ranchero in the country.
(b) She wants to find a nice house in Mexico City.
(c) She wants to move her family to the United States.
(d) She wants to make sure her children go to college.
9. Why does Juan Salvador distract the foreman of a farm as his family is passing it?
(a) So that his family can cut through the field as a shortcut.
(b) So that his family can sneak into the barn to take a nap.
(c) So that his family can steal corn.
(d) Because he is a troublemaker.
10. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
(a) A small army hospital.
(b) A vegetable shop in town.
(c) A rich family's house.
(d) The local mine.
11. What is Colonel Maytorena's job while in Lupe's town?
(a) He is there to become the next mayor of the town.
(b) He is in charge of building a road out of the valley.
(c) He is in charge of the mine for the American company.
(d) He is stationed to oversee the military presence in the valley.
12. Where does Lupe go to school?
(a) At her neighbors, Tia Juanita's.
(b) The small school in the next town.
(c) The American compound near the mine.
(d) At the Universidad.
13. Who does Don Benito fall in love with while in town?
14. What does Dona Guadalupe offer to make for Don Benito?
(c) A rug.
15. Why are the people in the village leaving to find work in other areas?
(a) Because the war is coming to their village.
(b) Because a new, larger mine is opening up in another city.
(c) Because the Americans shut down the mine.
(d) Because they are sick of working for the Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Don Victor's job when he meets Guadalupe?
2. What Indian tribe is Leonides Camargo fighting against?
3. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
4. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
5. Who does Don Benito feel that he needs to impress in Chapter 3?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)