|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Indian tribe is Leonides Camargo fighting against?
2. What does the Colonel give to Lupe to give to her teacher?
(a) A card.
(b) A small box.
(c) An apple.
(d) A book.
3. Who is Don Juan?
(a) Colonel Maytorena's boss.
(b) The mayor of the town.
(c) The teacher.
(d) Dona Guadalupe's brother.
4. As Juan heads back to Juarez, how does the city look?
(a) The city looks dark and lifeless.
(b) The city looks like it is burning.
(c) The city looks beautiful and colorful.
(d) The city looks as though there is a celebration happening.
5. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
(a) Because he likes selling firewood.
(b) Because his father used to sell firewood as well.
(c) Because without money the family will starve.
(d) He wants to be a small business owner.
6. What is Colonel Maytorena's job while in Lupe's town?
(a) He is in charge of the mine for the American company.
(b) He is in charge of building a road out of the valley.
(c) He is stationed to oversee the military presence in the valley.
(d) He is there to become the next mayor of the town.
7. Victoriano is badly beaten after trying to defend what from the bandits?
(a) His dog.
(b) A food he has just hunted.
(c) His sister.
(d) The gold his family has collected.
8. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
(a) Don Tiburcio.
(c) Don Victor.
9. Why does Juan Salvador distract the foreman of a farm as his family is passing it?
(a) So that his family can cut through the field as a shortcut.
(b) So that his family can steal corn.
(c) So that his family can sneak into the barn to take a nap.
(d) Because he is a troublemaker.
10. What is the name of Juan Salvador's youngest brother?
11. Where does Don Victor go in search of work?
(a) The lowlands.
(b) The seashore.
(c) Baja California.
(d) El Paso.
12. What does Juan use to bundle up the firewood he has collected?
(a) A small string.
(b) His belt.
(c) Dried out long grass.
(d) A long palm leaf.
13. How do Dona Guadalupe and her children make money?
(a) By feeding the miners.
(b) By selling their portion of the mine.
(c) By housing the miners.
(d) By selling fruit in town.
14. What one item of Colonel Maytorena's clothing does Lupe rescue from being discarded?
(a) His blue hat.
(b) His white shirt.
(c) His gray coat.
(d) His black gloves.
15. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
(a) Lace for her dress.
(b) A large hat.
(c) Brand new stockings.
(d) A beautiful veil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
2. Who is congratulated by the midwife for her assistance during Socorro's delivery?
3. How is the time of day described when Socorro is giving birth?
4. Where does Don Castro set out from when leaving to start a new community?
5. What is Don Victor's job when he meets Guadalupe?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)