|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3, The Crying Tree.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of land are Don Castro and his companions looking for to start their new community?
(b) Coastal land.
(c) Fertile land.
(d) Land with gold to be mined.
2. What Indian tribe is Leonides Camargo fighting against?
3. Why does Dona Guadalupe and her family crush the gold ore they have discovered into dust?
(a) Because it is more ore than gold.
(b) To make it seem like it came from the river.
(c) Because that is what you are supposed to do to gold ore.
(d) To make it seem like they have more.
4. Who does the second owner sell the mine to?
(a) The Mexican Federales.
(b) Espirito's grandchildren.
(c) A British oil company.
(d) A large American mining company.
5. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
(a) He is trying to get enough gold to make a ring.
(b) He is deliberately trying to anger the Americans.
(c) His mother needs help paying the bills.
(d) He wants to be a successful businessman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel give to Lupe to give to her teacher?
2. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
3. Where is most of the good firewood found?
4. Why does Juan Salvador distract the foreman of a farm as his family is passing it?
5. What is the one condition that Espirito and his people put on the spring when they sell it?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)