|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Colonel Maytorena's job while in Lupe's town?
(a) He is in charge of the mine for the American company.
(b) He is there to become the next mayor of the town.
(c) He is stationed to oversee the military presence in the valley.
(d) He is in charge of building a road out of the valley.
2. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
(a) He is deliberately trying to anger the Americans.
(b) He wants to be a successful businessman.
(c) His mother needs help paying the bills.
(d) He is trying to get enough gold to make a ring.
3. What does the midwife say about the pain tolerance of men?
(a) That the only pain men feel is the pain of love.
(b) That men cannot stand pain as women can.
(c) That men feel no pain whatsoever.
(d) That men have a much higher pain tolerance then women.
4. Who misses the train to America with Juan?
(b) No one, he is all alone.
5. Why are the people in the village leaving to find work in other areas?
(a) Because a new, larger mine is opening up in another city.
(b) Because the Americans shut down the mine.
(c) Because they are sick of working for the Americans.
(d) Because the war is coming to their village.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dona Guadalupe and her family crush the gold ore they have discovered into dust?
2. Why does the first owner sell the spring?
3. Who is Don Juan?
4. What horrible thing has happened to Juan's sister Emilia?
5. Who is having trouble keeping the secret that they have discovered gold?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)