|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 5, A Time of Miracles.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Mexican workers work under such horrible conditions?
(a) They needed work very badly.
(b) They were at the mercy of American employers that were having difficulties of their own.
(c) They did not have many options for employment.
(d) All are correct.
2. Why are the people in the village leaving to find work in other areas?
(a) Because they are sick of working for the Americans.
(b) Because the Americans shut down the mine.
(c) Because a new, larger mine is opening up in another city.
(d) Because the war is coming to their village.
3. Why are Lupe and her sisters refused pay when they are working in the fields?
(a) Because they are poor workers.
(b) Because they argue with the foreman too much.
(c) Because they are women.
(d) Because they damage the produce as they pick them.
4. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
(a) His mother needs help paying the bills.
(b) He is deliberately trying to anger the Americans.
(c) He wants to be a successful businessman.
(d) He is trying to get enough gold to make a ring.
5. Why does La Liebre decide to have Victoriano hanged in the town square?
(a) Just because.
(b) He and Victoriano are fighting over the same woman.
(c) He is angry because the boy talked back to him in a crowd.
(d) He thinks the ore he has is more valuable than it is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
2. Is the strike successful?
3. Who is eloping with Maria?
4. Which of Lupe's sisters organizes a strike so that women can get paid for the work they do?
5. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)