|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 5, A Time of Miracles.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the people in the village leaving to find work in other areas?
(a) Because the Americans shut down the mine.
(b) Because a new, larger mine is opening up in another city.
(c) Because the war is coming to their village.
(d) Because they are sick of working for the Americans.
2. Because of their efforts in starting a strike, what happens to Lupe and her sisters as employees?
(a) They lose their jobs but soon find new, better ones.
(b) They are promoted above all the other workers.
(c) No one will hire them after the strike.
(d) They are punished by having to work longer shifts.
3. Who has convinced Maria that she should elope?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her best friend.
(d) Her mother.
4. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
(a) They flee from the village.
(b) They taunt the angry crowds.
(c) They do nothing and wait for the villagers to calm down.
(d) They attack those who are rising against them.
5. Why do the Mexican workers work under such horrible conditions?
(a) All are correct.
(b) They needed work very badly.
(c) They were at the mercy of American employers that were having difficulties of their own.
(d) They did not have many options for employment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which powerful person is killed by Victoriano?
2. Who is eloping with Maria?
3. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
4. Victoriano is badly beaten after trying to defend what from the bandits?
5. Is the strike successful?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)