|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Morgan dress?
2. What returns to Father at the sea in Atlantic City?
3. On the milk train going back to New Rochelle, what does Younger Brother contemplate?
4. What is the truth about Baron Ashkenazy?
5. Where do Younger Brother and Father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans do Father and Mother make to get away from the Coalhouse problem?
2. What is the beginning of the trouble with Coalhouse Walker?
3. What does Father decide to do to make up for the time he has not spent with The Boy?
4. What is Sarah's funeral like?
5. How does Mother's and Father's relationship change in Atlantic City?
6. Why does Father return alone to New York, leaving the family in Atlantic City.
7. What suddenly worries Sarah after the Fire House incident?
8. How have the fortunes of Tateh and The girl changed?
9. Why does J. P. Morgan want to meet with Henry Ford?
10. What does Sarah try to do to help Coalhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the rags-to-riches story of Tateh, aka Baron Ashkenazy. Tateh's story is the embodiment of the American dream--the poor immigrant who eventually achieves success. While you write this account focus on the moral shift in Tateh's thinking. Note the difference in his uptight morality that drove his wife and Evelyn away in the early part of the story and his romping with Mother in Atlantic City as the reinvented Baron Ashkenazy. There are even sexual overtones to the scene where they are searching for The Boy and The Girl and eventually they marry.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on racial discrimination in the North at the turn of the century. The commonly held belief is that racial discrimination is exclusive to the South. The story of RAGTIME takes place in New York, Philadelphia, New England, and Atlantic City. Point out the many examples Doctorow gives of discrimination against blacks and Jews in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on child labor. Express your opinion about child labor at the turn of the 19th-20th century and in places in the world today. Perhaps Charles Dickens is the most famous novelist to address the issue of child labor. Doctorow describes child labor in America in the 1890s and early 1900s in two brief passages. One has to do with child abductions and sexual abuse and the other has to do with the reason manufacturers liked child labor. Your paper should use those examples and discuss the harmful effects on children when they are do devalued.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)