|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Father go to the police?
2. What does Sarah decide to do to help Coalhouse?
3. What happens at the Emerald Isle Fire Station?
4. Who arrives in a white town car and shoots a policeman and bombs Municipal Fire Station No. 2?
5. Where is Sarah funeral held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sarah at the rally?
2. That spring, what happens at the Matteawan State Prison Farm?
3. What becomes of Younger Brother?
4. When the police cannot find Coalhouse, what does Father do?
5. How does Mother's and Father's relationship change in Atlantic City?
6. What is Younger Brother's first act as a revolutionary and outlaw?
7. What happens on Houdini's tour of Europe?
8. What is the beginning of the trouble with Coalhouse Walker?
9. What remarkable innovation in manufacturing took place about this time?
10. Why does Father return alone to New York, leaving the family in Atlantic City.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion of E. L. Doctorow's writing style. Include such things as his omitting quotation marks and writing in very short sentences. Cite specific passages in the novel that you think either did or did not convey (1) the feeling of the characters, (2) the imagery of the day, (3) the suspense of the plot, or any other concept you feel the novel addresses. How much does Doctorow's use of fictionalized real characters add to the interest of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the subject of art as seen in the novel. Take it from Tateh's silhouettes to Morgan's collection. Tateh's cutout silhouettes and movie books are art for the people. On the other hand, Morgans fabulous art collection are limited to the upper classes. Tateh's art leads him to film animation and making movies. Morgan's art is nearly destroyed in one quick action. Mother's association with art is limited to putting up Egyptian wallpaper. Your paper should discuss how art influences people and the value of art as an equalizer.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper comparing Evelyn Nesbit with notorious movie stars of the 20th century. A good comparison might be to Marilyn Monroe. Compare their beginnings, Evelyn's posing nude for a statue and Marilyn appearing nude in Playboy Magazine, their notoriety in the press, and their many romantic entanglements. Doctorow suggests that Evelyn is the model for all the show business women who followed her. This should be a fun paper to write.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)