|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Coalhouse and his boys end up in the marble museum?
2. How does the knowledge of Coalhouse Walker's activities eventually become known?
3. Where do Father and The Boy go in spite of the tension surrounding Coalhouse's being at large?
4. What happens to Sarah as she tries to approach a man she thought was the President?
5. Where does Father and the family go to get away from the tension?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sarah at the rally?
2. What does Father decide to do to make up for the time he has not spent with The Boy?
3. What causes the theater to shake where Houdini is performing?
4. Describe Morgan's buildings on Madison Avenue in Murray Hill.
5. After Coalhouse arranges for his gang to escape, what happens to him?
6. What brings Younger Brother back to life after his breakup with Evelyn?
7. What plans do Father and Mother make to get away from the Coalhouse problem?
8. What is the beginning of the trouble with Coalhouse Walker?
9. How do the police learn about the history of Coalhouse Walker, Jr.?
10. What does Sarah try to do to help Coalhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about the transformation of Tateh in the novel from the time he was scandalized by his wife and Evelyn until he romps on the beach in Atlantic City. Discuss what you think makes the transformation. Is there a tendency for the poor to be judgmental of the morals of the rich? If so, why? How does affluence change a persons attitude toward all things in society? What are the good and bad points of such changes?
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion of E. L. Doctorow's writing style. Include such things as his omitting quotation marks and writing in very short sentences. Cite specific passages in the novel that you think either did or did not convey (1) the feeling of the characters, (2) the imagery of the day, (3) the suspense of the plot, or any other concept you feel the novel addresses. How much does Doctorow's use of fictionalized real characters add to the interest of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Coalhouse Walker, Jr., plays Scott Joplin ragtime in the novel. Do some research and write a brief paper about the composer Scott Joplin. Why does Doctorow use the musical genre as the title of his book? To what extent do you think the music of an era defines that era?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)