|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At that time, who was at the top of the business pyramid in the USA?
2. What resemblance does Morgan see in Henry Ford?
3. What happened to Ben Reitman in San Diego?
4. What does Father propose to do for Coalhouse?
5. Why does Baron Ashkenazy say his daughter is sad and seldom speaks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the beginning of the trouble with Coalhouse Walker?
2. What remarkable innovation in manufacturing took place about this time?
3. When the police cannot find Coalhouse, what does Father do?
4. What happens on Houdini's tour of Europe?
5. What does Father decide to do to make up for the time he has not spent with The Boy?
6. How does Mother's and Father's relationship change in Atlantic City?
7. What suddenly worries Sarah after the Fire House incident?
8. What happens to Sarah at the rally?
9. Why does Father return alone to New York, leaving the family in Atlantic City.
10. What is Sarah's funeral like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper explaining the difference between an anarchist and a socialist. These strange bedfellows come together in the meeting Tateh takes Evelyn to. Anarchists oppose any form of government and socialists promote total government control. Explain why Tateh did not agree with anarchism or communism. Why was he a socialist? Then decide if his later affluence changed his political ideas and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on racial discrimination in the North at the turn of the century. The commonly held belief is that racial discrimination is exclusive to the South. The story of RAGTIME takes place in New York, Philadelphia, New England, and Atlantic City. Point out the many examples Doctorow gives of discrimination against blacks and Jews in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the transformation of Tateh in the novel from the time he was scandalized by his wife and Evelyn until he romps on the beach in Atlantic City. Discuss what you think makes the transformation. Is there a tendency for the poor to be judgmental of the morals of the rich? If so, why? How does affluence change a persons attitude toward all things in society? What are the good and bad points of such changes?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)