|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is a great disappointment to Morgan?
2. After his mother's death, what does Houdini set out to do?
3. Why is it a busy time of the year for Father's business?
4. Who shows up driving a new Model-T in front of The Boy's house?
5. What does Coalhouse Walker, Jr., do to identify himself.
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings Younger Brother back to life after his breakup with Evelyn?
2. What is keeping Father busy that summer?
3. What causes the theater to shake where Houdini is performing?
4. What causes Younger Brother to run out of the parlor one evening after dinner?
5. Why does J. P. Morgan want to meet with Henry Ford?
6. Describe Morgan's buildings on Madison Avenue in Murray Hill.
7. What remarkable innovation in manufacturing took place about this time?
8. What does Father decide to do to make up for the time he has not spent with The Boy?
9. What becomes fashionable because of Morgan's obsession with Egyptology?
10. What suddenly worries Sarah after the Fire House incident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On their trip out of New York, Tateh observes a completely different country from what he had known in New York. Doctorow says that for the first time Tateh began to think he might be able to live in America. Use examples of what Tateh and The Girl see on their trip that are so different from anything they had ever seen in New York and explain how those sights began to change Tateh's outlook on America. Then look at Freud's visit to New York and what they force him to go see. Give your opinion as to whether Freud might have had a different opinion of America if he had seen the more rural side of the country.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the subject of art as seen in the novel. Take it from Tateh's silhouettes to Morgan's collection. Tateh's cutout silhouettes and movie books are art for the people. On the other hand, Morgans fabulous art collection are limited to the upper classes. Tateh's art leads him to film animation and making movies. Morgan's art is nearly destroyed in one quick action. Mother's association with art is limited to putting up Egyptian wallpaper. Your paper should discuss how art influences people and the value of art as an equalizer.
Essay Topic 3
Look up information of minstrel shows which were popular in America from the late 1800s through the 1930s. Describe them and give your opinion about them as entertainment. Even Scott Joplin performed in minstrel shows during his lifetime. Al Jolson, a Jewish man, became famous blacking his face and performing in minstrels. It was of course a demeaning representation of black people as a whole and contributed to the stereotype of the race that went on into the movies until the late 1950s. Discuss how much you think such entertainments delayed the civil rights movement in America.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)