|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harry K. Thaw go after his escape?
2. What does Coalhouse Walker, Jr., do to identify himself.
3. Who cares for the baby while Sarah lay dying in the hospital?
4. How do Father and Mother sometimes travel down the boardwalk in Atlantic City?
5. What happened to Ben Reitman in San Diego?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does J. P. Morgan want to meet with Henry Ford?
2. What causes the theater to shake where Houdini is performing?
3. That spring, what happens at the Matteawan State Prison Farm?
4. How have the fortunes of Tateh and The girl changed?
5. What does Sarah try to do to help Coalhouse?
6. How does Mother's and Father's relationship change in Atlantic City?
7. Why does Father return alone to New York, leaving the family in Atlantic City.
8. What is Younger Brother's first act as a revolutionary and outlaw?
9. What does Younger Brother do that the family is completely unaware of?
10. What happens to Sarah at the rally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about Harry Houdini's fixation on finding a way to communicate with his dead mother. The attachment of Houdini to his mother is a documented fact. He also spent the rest of his life looking for someone who could make contact with the dead. In the process he became an authority on fakes and charlatans who claimed special powers to channel the dead. In your paper, explain why you think Doctorow used Houdini as a major character in the book? Point out the societal changes that were happening at that time that Houdini symbolizes.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the subject of art as seen in the novel. Take it from Tateh's silhouettes to Morgan's collection. Tateh's cutout silhouettes and movie books are art for the people. On the other hand, Morgans fabulous art collection are limited to the upper classes. Tateh's art leads him to film animation and making movies. Morgan's art is nearly destroyed in one quick action. Mother's association with art is limited to putting up Egyptian wallpaper. Your paper should discuss how art influences people and the value of art as an equalizer.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and write about the character of Younger Brother in the novel. From the opening description of Younger Brother in the novel, it is predictable what he will become by the end of the story. He is a brilliant young man with limited social skills and limited interests. His interest in pyrotechnics suggests future problems. He is a loner and reticent, even with the sister he loves. Compare Younger Brother with what information you can find on Lee Harvey Oswald.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)