|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Father go to the police?
2. Who becomes alarmed when a full military assault on the museum is suggested?
3. In reality, who are the baron and his daughter?
4. What happens at the Emerald Isle Fire Station?
5. What does Mother notice about the change in Sarah's face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suddenly worries Sarah after the Fire House incident?
2. How have the fortunes of Tateh and The girl changed?
3. What does Father decide to do to make up for the time he has not spent with The Boy?
4. What causes Younger Brother to run out of the parlor one evening after dinner?
5. What does Sarah try to do to help Coalhouse?
6. What happens to Sarah at the rally?
7. Why is Emma Goldman arrested after Coalhouse takes over the museum?
8. Why does Father return alone to New York, leaving the family in Atlantic City.
9. After Coalhouse arranges for his gang to escape, what happens to him?
10. What causes the theater to shake where Houdini is performing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on child labor. Express your opinion about child labor at the turn of the 19th-20th century and in places in the world today. Perhaps Charles Dickens is the most famous novelist to address the issue of child labor. Doctorow describes child labor in America in the 1890s and early 1900s in two brief passages. One has to do with child abductions and sexual abuse and the other has to do with the reason manufacturers liked child labor. Your paper should use those examples and discuss the harmful effects on children when they are do devalued.
Essay Topic 2
On their trip out of New York, Tateh observes a completely different country from what he had known in New York. Doctorow says that for the first time Tateh began to think he might be able to live in America. Use examples of what Tateh and The Girl see on their trip that are so different from anything they had ever seen in New York and explain how those sights began to change Tateh's outlook on America. Then look at Freud's visit to New York and what they force him to go see. Give your opinion as to whether Freud might have had a different opinion of America if he had seen the more rural side of the country.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion of E. L. Doctorow's writing style. Include such things as his omitting quotation marks and writing in very short sentences. Cite specific passages in the novel that you think either did or did not convey (1) the feeling of the characters, (2) the imagery of the day, (3) the suspense of the plot, or any other concept you feel the novel addresses. How much does Doctorow's use of fictionalized real characters add to the interest of the novel?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)