|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Morgan dress?
2. What had actually exploded that night?
3. What resemblance does Morgan see in Henry Ford?
4. In reality, who are the baron and his daughter?
5. Where do the cars come from that are used in the attacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Younger Brother's first act as a revolutionary and outlaw?
2. How do the police learn about the history of Coalhouse Walker, Jr.?
3. What is keeping Father busy that summer?
4. What plans do Father and Mother make to get away from the Coalhouse problem?
5. How have the fortunes of Tateh and The girl changed?
6. What is Sarah's funeral like?
7. What causes Younger Brother to run out of the parlor one evening after dinner?
8. What does Younger Brother do that the family is completely unaware of?
9. After Coalhouse arranges for his gang to escape, what happens to him?
10. What does Sarah try to do to help Coalhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coalhouse Walker, Jr., plays Scott Joplin ragtime in the novel. Do some research and write a brief paper about the composer Scott Joplin. Why does Doctorow use the musical genre as the title of his book? To what extent do you think the music of an era defines that era?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and write about the character of Younger Brother in the novel. From the opening description of Younger Brother in the novel, it is predictable what he will become by the end of the story. He is a brilliant young man with limited social skills and limited interests. His interest in pyrotechnics suggests future problems. He is a loner and reticent, even with the sister he loves. Compare Younger Brother with what information you can find on Lee Harvey Oswald.
Essay Topic 3
Gather information of President Howard Taft and write a short paper about him. Taft's rise to power corresponded with the turn of the century idea that obesity, especially in men, was a sign of material success. Taft weighed over 300 pounds and it is said that a special bathtub had to be installed in the White House to accommodate him. Your paper should include characters in the book as examples of men who fit that accepted image of success. By contrast Houdini and Younger Brother are of athletic build and represent change in the novel. Explain.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)