|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets the rebuilt Model-T?
2. Where is Sarah funeral held?
3. What happens to Coalhouse after he comes out of the museum with his hands raised?
4. Who is arrested after Coalhouse takes over the museum?
5. How does the knowledge of Coalhouse Walker's activities eventually become known?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Emma Goldman arrested after Coalhouse takes over the museum?
2. How have the fortunes of Tateh and The girl changed?
3. What becomes of Younger Brother?
4. Describe Morgan's buildings on Madison Avenue in Murray Hill.
5. What causes Younger Brother to run out of the parlor one evening after dinner?
6. What suddenly worries Sarah after the Fire House incident?
7. After Coalhouse arranges for his gang to escape, what happens to him?
8. What becomes fashionable because of Morgan's obsession with Egyptology?
9. What does Sarah try to do to help Coalhouse?
10. What causes the theater to shake where Houdini is performing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up information of minstrel shows which were popular in America from the late 1800s through the 1930s. Describe them and give your opinion about them as entertainment. Even Scott Joplin performed in minstrel shows during his lifetime. Al Jolson, a Jewish man, became famous blacking his face and performing in minstrels. It was of course a demeaning representation of black people as a whole and contributed to the stereotype of the race that went on into the movies until the late 1950s. Discuss how much you think such entertainments delayed the civil rights movement in America.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper comparing Evelyn Nesbit with notorious movie stars of the 20th century. A good comparison might be to Marilyn Monroe. Compare their beginnings, Evelyn's posing nude for a statue and Marilyn appearing nude in Playboy Magazine, their notoriety in the press, and their many romantic entanglements. Doctorow suggests that Evelyn is the model for all the show business women who followed her. This should be a fun paper to write.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the rags-to-riches story of Tateh, aka Baron Ashkenazy. Tateh's story is the embodiment of the American dream--the poor immigrant who eventually achieves success. While you write this account focus on the moral shift in Tateh's thinking. Note the difference in his uptight morality that drove his wife and Evelyn away in the early part of the story and his romping with Mother in Atlantic City as the reinvented Baron Ashkenazy. There are even sexual overtones to the scene where they are searching for The Boy and The Girl and eventually they marry.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)