|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Ben Reitman in San Diego?
2. Who does Younger Brother attach himself to in Mexico?
3. What lecture does Emma Goldman give Younger Brother?
4. What is the truth about Baron Ashkenazy?
5. As the procession crosses into Brooklyn, what is seen settling on the rails of the Brooklyn Bridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the police learn about the history of Coalhouse Walker, Jr.?
2. What is keeping Father busy that summer?
3. How have the fortunes of Tateh and The girl changed?
4. What does Father decide to do to make up for the time he has not spent with The Boy?
5. Describe Morgan's buildings on Madison Avenue in Murray Hill.
6. What becomes fashionable because of Morgan's obsession with Egyptology?
7. What becomes of Younger Brother?
8. What causes the theater to shake where Houdini is performing?
9. That spring, what happens at the Matteawan State Prison Farm?
10. What happens to Sarah at the rally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your personal review of RAGTIME and make a recommendation for other readers. Write this paper as though you are a book reviewer for a large newspaper or national magazine. Be honest about what you liked or did not like about the book. [That it was required reading in class does not count as a reason to dislike the book.] Be specific when giving your reasons by quoting passages from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
On their trip out of New York, Tateh observes a completely different country from what he had known in New York. Doctorow says that for the first time Tateh began to think he might be able to live in America. Use examples of what Tateh and The Girl see on their trip that are so different from anything they had ever seen in New York and explain how those sights began to change Tateh's outlook on America. Then look at Freud's visit to New York and what they force him to go see. Give your opinion as to whether Freud might have had a different opinion of America if he had seen the more rural side of the country.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on racial discrimination in the North at the turn of the century. The commonly held belief is that racial discrimination is exclusive to the South. The story of RAGTIME takes place in New York, Philadelphia, New England, and Atlantic City. Point out the many examples Doctorow gives of discrimination against blacks and Jews in the novel.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)