|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Perry able to locate the exact spot of the North Pole?
2. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
3. Where does The Boy get some of Tateh's silhouettes?
4. Where do the police find the mother of the baby?
5. What happened often when Freud was around Jung?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does The Boy think bronze statues are?
2. What does The Boy recover from the trash?
3. What are Tateh's plans for him and The Girl as they leave New York?
4. What idea does Tateh have that makes them money.
5. How does Evelyn lose The Girl?
6. Explain how Harry K. Shaw gets to see Harry Houdini.
7. What infatuation comes over Mother's Younger brother?
8. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
9. What crime is Harry K. Shaw accused of committing?
10. What happens when Tateh is working in the Mills in Lawrence, Massachusetts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gather information of President Howard Taft and write a short paper about him. Taft's rise to power corresponded with the turn of the century idea that obesity, especially in men, was a sign of material success. Taft weighed over 300 pounds and it is said that a special bathtub had to be installed in the White House to accommodate him. Your paper should include characters in the book as examples of men who fit that accepted image of success. By contrast Houdini and Younger Brother are of athletic build and represent change in the novel. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write your personal review of RAGTIME and make a recommendation for other readers. Write this paper as though you are a book reviewer for a large newspaper or national magazine. Be honest about what you liked or did not like about the book. [That it was required reading in class does not count as a reason to dislike the book.] Be specific when giving your reasons by quoting passages from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Look up information on Henry Ford and the assembly line production of Model-T cars and write a brief paper. What did Ford's assembly line have to do with Coalhouse Walker's ability to own a brand new Model-T? What does Coalhouse's car symbolize to the men at Emerald Isle Fire Station? Does ownership of the car give Coalhouse an air of superiority? Analyze how the car might have affected Father who never really liked Coalhouse. When Father and The Boy go into New York to the Giants game, they take the train. Even though he can afford a car, why does the family not seem to have one?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)