Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father do with all the family watching?
2. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
3. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
4. Who is on the mind of Mother's Younger Brother?
5. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father return alone to New York, leaving the family in Atlantic City.
2. What is Mother's concern about Younger Brother?
3. What is Perry's attitude towards the Esquimo people?
4. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
5. Describe Morgan's buildings on Madison Avenue in Murray Hill.
6. What does the Franklin Novelty Company do with Tateh's books?
7. What is Father's condition when he returns form the Arctic?
8. What infatuation comes over Mother's Younger brother?
9. What are Tateh's plans for him and The Girl as they leave New York?
10. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on child labor. Express your opinion about child labor at the turn of the 19th-20th century and in places in the world today. Perhaps Charles Dickens is the most famous novelist to address the issue of child labor. Doctorow describes child labor in America in the 1890s and early 1900s in two brief passages. One has to do with child abductions and sexual abuse and the other has to do with the reason manufacturers liked child labor. Your paper should use those examples and discuss the harmful effects on children when they are do devalued.
Essay Topic 2
Write your personal review of RAGTIME and make a recommendation for other readers. Write this paper as though you are a book reviewer for a large newspaper or national magazine. Be honest about what you liked or did not like about the book. [That it was required reading in class does not count as a reason to dislike the book.] Be specific when giving your reasons by quoting passages from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Look up information of minstrel shows which were popular in America from the late 1800s through the 1930s. Describe them and give your opinion about them as entertainment. Even Scott Joplin performed in minstrel shows during his lifetime. Al Jolson, a Jewish man, became famous blacking his face and performing in minstrels. It was of course a demeaning representation of black people as a whole and contributed to the stereotype of the race that went on into the movies until the late 1950s. Discuss how much you think such entertainments delayed the civil rights movement in America.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)