Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father do with all the family watching?
2. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
3. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
4. Who is on the mind of Mother's Younger Brother?
5. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father return alone to New York, leaving the family in Atlantic City.
2. What is Mother's concern about Younger Brother?
3. What is Perry's attitude towards the Esquimo people?
4. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
5. Describe Morgan's buildings on Madison Avenue in Murray Hill.
6. What does the Franklin Novelty Company do with Tateh's books?
7. What is Father's condition when he returns form the Arctic?
8. What infatuation comes over Mother's Younger brother?
9. What are Tateh's plans for him and The Girl as they leave New York?
10. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about the transformation of Tateh in the novel from the time he was scandalized by his wife and Evelyn until he romps on the beach in Atlantic City. Discuss what you think makes the transformation. Is there a tendency for the poor to be judgmental of the morals of the rich? If so, why? How does affluence change a persons attitude toward all things in society? What are the good and bad points of such changes?
Essay Topic 2
Write your personal review of RAGTIME and make a recommendation for other readers. Write this paper as though you are a book reviewer for a large newspaper or national magazine. Be honest about what you liked or did not like about the book. [That it was required reading in class does not count as a reason to dislike the book.] Be specific when giving your reasons by quoting passages from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper explaining the difference between an anarchist and a socialist. These strange bedfellows come together in the meeting Tateh takes Evelyn to. Anarchists oppose any form of government and socialists promote total government control. Explain why Tateh did not agree with anarchism or communism. Why was he a socialist? Then decide if his later affluence changed his political ideas and why.
This section contains 2,147 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)