Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father do with all the family watching?
2. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
3. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
4. Who is on the mind of Mother's Younger Brother?
5. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father return alone to New York, leaving the family in Atlantic City.
2. What is Mother's concern about Younger Brother?
3. What is Perry's attitude towards the Esquimo people?
4. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
5. Describe Morgan's buildings on Madison Avenue in Murray Hill.
6. What does the Franklin Novelty Company do with Tateh's books?
7. What is Father's condition when he returns form the Arctic?
8. What infatuation comes over Mother's Younger brother?
9. What are Tateh's plans for him and The Girl as they leave New York?
10. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on child labor. Express your opinion about child labor at the turn of the 19th-20th century and in places in the world today. Perhaps Charles Dickens is the most famous novelist to address the issue of child labor. Doctorow describes child labor in America in the 1890s and early 1900s in two brief passages. One has to do with child abductions and sexual abuse and the other has to do with the reason manufacturers liked child labor. Your paper should use those examples and discuss the harmful effects on children when they are do devalued.
Essay Topic 2
Coalhouse Walker, Jr., plays Scott Joplin ragtime in the novel. Do some research and write a brief paper about the composer Scott Joplin. Why does Doctorow use the musical genre as the title of his book? To what extent do you think the music of an era defines that era?
Essay Topic 3
Look up information of Theodore Dreiser and write about his impact on the American novel. It is interesting that Doctorow chooses Dreiser to put in his book. It might be a message about his own feelings about book critics. Dreiser was never recognized in his own time for the quality of his novels. Perhaps his most famous novel, AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY, was made into a movie in the 1950s called A PLACE IN THE SUN. What is your opinion about why Doctorow chose this novelist to include briefly in RAGTIME.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)