|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father see in his bathroom mirror after he returns?
2. What was Freud's judgment about America?
3. With whom is Father planning to travel to the North Pole?
4. Where does Evelyn go when she doesn't find Tateh and the girl one day?
5. What stories does Grandfather tell The Boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tateh is working in the Mills in Lawrence, Massachusetts?
2. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
3. What does Younger Brother do for a political rally in Rye, New York?
4. What crime is Harry K. Shaw accused of committing?
5. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
6. Why is Houdini thrown out of Bellevue Hospital?
7. What does the Franklin Novelty Company do with Tateh's books?
8. What is Evelyn doing with Younger Brother after Tateh and The girl leave?
9. How are Tateh and The Girl rescued from being separated?
10. What causes Harry K. Shaw to propose marriage to Evelyn Nesbit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper explaining the difference between an anarchist and a socialist. These strange bedfellows come together in the meeting Tateh takes Evelyn to. Anarchists oppose any form of government and socialists promote total government control. Explain why Tateh did not agree with anarchism or communism. Why was he a socialist? Then decide if his later affluence changed his political ideas and why.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research and write a brief paper on J. Pierpont Morgan. Political cartoons of his time pictured Morgan as being bigger than Uncle Sam. In fact, he did bail out the U.S. economy at one time. There is even an undertone of racism in Morgan in the novel when he cables the D. A. to give Coalhouse his auto and hang him. From your research, explain how Doctorow's use of Morgan in the novel is believable.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the transformation of Tateh in the novel from the time he was scandalized by his wife and Evelyn until he romps on the beach in Atlantic City. Discuss what you think makes the transformation. Is there a tendency for the poor to be judgmental of the morals of the rich? If so, why? How does affluence change a persons attitude toward all things in society? What are the good and bad points of such changes?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)