|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the American Woolen Company gives out envelopes with short pay?
2. What happens when the Young Man hides in Goldman's closet?
3. What kind of car is Evelyn being chauffeured in as she goes around in New York?
4. What happened often when Freud was around Jung?
5. What does Tateh have that finally makes them money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Father sent off on his trip with the Perry expedition to the North Pole?
2. What does Younger Brother do for a political rally in Rye, New York?
3. What does The Boy think bronze statues are?
4. What does the Franklin Novelty Company do with Tateh's books?
5. What is Father's condition when he returns form the Arctic?
6. What are the lead workers doing as Perry comes leisurely behind?
7. What happens when Tateh is working in the Mills in Lawrence, Massachusetts?
8. What does Tateh notice about The Girl on their train trip.
9. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
10. How do the second generation Irish feel about the new immigrants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on child labor. Express your opinion about child labor at the turn of the 19th-20th century and in places in the world today. Perhaps Charles Dickens is the most famous novelist to address the issue of child labor. Doctorow describes child labor in America in the 1890s and early 1900s in two brief passages. One has to do with child abductions and sexual abuse and the other has to do with the reason manufacturers liked child labor. Your paper should use those examples and discuss the harmful effects on children when they are do devalued.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research and write a brief paper on J. Pierpont Morgan. Political cartoons of his time pictured Morgan as being bigger than Uncle Sam. In fact, he did bail out the U.S. economy at one time. There is even an undertone of racism in Morgan in the novel when he cables the D. A. to give Coalhouse his auto and hang him. From your research, explain how Doctorow's use of Morgan in the novel is believable.
Essay Topic 3
On their trip out of New York, Tateh observes a completely different country from what he had known in New York. Doctorow says that for the first time Tateh began to think he might be able to live in America. Use examples of what Tateh and The Girl see on their trip that are so different from anything they had ever seen in New York and explain how those sights began to change Tateh's outlook on America. Then look at Freud's visit to New York and what they force him to go see. Give your opinion as to whether Freud might have had a different opinion of America if he had seen the more rural side of the country.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)