|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Morgan's favorite story, The Birthmark?
(a) Washington Irving.
(b) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(c) Theodore Dreiser.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
2. What does Mother notice about the change in Sarah's face?
(a) She pities her because she is so plain.
(b) She thinks Sarah's face was getting darker.
(c) She is awed by her beauty.
(d) She notices Sarah has broken out in a rash.
3. What is the description of the man who led the attack on the fire station?
(a) An unidentified Negro male.
(b) A stout man wearing a bandana mask.
(c) A short man with coal dust on his face.
(d) A man who looked a lot like the Fire Chief.
4. How does the knowledge of Coalhouse Walker's activities eventually become known?
(a) One of the gang members drops out and goes to the police.
(b) Younger Brother keeps a diary of every day with Coalhouse.
(c) A black lawyer gets information from one of Coalhouse's gang.
(d) Coalhouse writes everything down to be opened after his death.
5. Who does Coalhouse plan to kidnap and exchange for Willie Conklin?
(a) Pierpont Morgan.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Evelyn Nesbit.
(d) Henry Ford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Father worried about after the murders?
2. How do Father and Mother sometimes travel down the boardwalk in Atlantic City?
3. Where do Younger Brother and Father die?
4. Who shows up driving a new Model-T in front of The Boy's house?
5. What happens to Sarah as she tries to approach a man she thought was the President?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah try to do to help Coalhouse?
2. What brings Younger Brother back to life after his breakup with Evelyn?
3. What causes Younger Brother to run out of the parlor one evening after dinner?
4. Why does Father return alone to New York, leaving the family in Atlantic City.
5. What becomes of Younger Brother?
6. What does Father decide to do to make up for the time he has not spent with The Boy?
7. Describe Morgan's buildings on Madison Avenue in Murray Hill.
8. What is the beginning of the trouble with Coalhouse Walker?
9. What causes the theater to shake where Houdini is performing?
10. What becomes fashionable because of Morgan's obsession with Egyptology?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)