|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the physical condition of the rich prior to William Howard Taft becoming President?
(a) Healthy and muscular.
(b) Wafer thin.
(c) Sickly and pale.
(d) Generally obese.
2. What does Evelyn do with most of her money?
(a) Gives it to Tateh and the Girl.
(b) Buys all new clothes.
(c) Donates it anonymously to socialist causes.
(d) Hides it under her mattress.
3. What does The Boy see on the ice?
(a) Tracks of skate blades that soon are erased.
(b) Dogs chasing children on the ice.
(c) Old people skating slowly.
(d) Fishing holes cut into the ice.
4. What plea does Shaw's mother want him to make in court but he flatly refuses?
(b) No lo contendre.
(c) Self defense.
5. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
(a) An organ grinder with a monkey.
(b) A dirty-faced girl.
(c) A sale on shawls.
(d) A lost puppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. which immigrants are sent back home?
2. Who will be speaking at the meeting Evelyn goes to with Tateh and the girl?
3. Seeing the man who has been following her, what does Evelyn think?
4. At the jail called The Tombs, what do the guards invent?
5. Why does Harry K. Shaw receive special privileges in jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tateh is working in the Mills in Lawrence, Massachusetts?
2. What is Evelyn doing with Younger Brother after Tateh and The girl leave?
3. Describe Morgan's buildings on Madison Avenue in Murray Hill.
4. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
5. Who are the famous psychologists who visit New York at this time and what is their reaction?
6. What is the beginning of the trouble with Coalhouse Walker?
7. How do the second generation Irish feel about the new immigrants?
8. What causes Harry K. Shaw to propose marriage to Evelyn Nesbit?
9. What does Evelyn see when she goes with Tateh to a socialist meeting?
10. What causes the theater to shake where Houdini is performing?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)