|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a second trial, what sentence does Harry K. Shaw receive?
(a) Seven years in prison.
(b) Life in prison.
(c) The electric chair.
(d) Remanded to the Manhattan Hospital for the Criminally Insane.
2. With whom is Father planning to travel to the North Pole?
(a) Charles Lindburg.
(b) Admiral Robert Peary.
(c) Ronald Amundsen.
(d) David Livingstone.
3. What does Mother find buried in her garden?
(a) A treasure chest.
(b) A newborn baby.
(c) A litter of kittens.
(d) Younger Brother's love letters.
4. What was a popular type of entertainment show in those days?
(a) Classic concerts.
(b) Sing alongs.
(c) Minstrels in black face.
(d) Color motion pictures.
5. What happens when Tateh is beaten by the police and the train The Girl is on starts to move?
(a) He sits down and starts crying.
(b) He grabs a gun from a militiaman and starts shooting.
(c) He runs and grabs onto the back guardrail of the train.
(d) He calls down a curse from heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Young Man hides in Goldman's closet?
2. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
3. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
4. What happens when a woman striker is shot?
5. What does Evelyn do with most of her money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does socialite Mrs. Stuyvesant Fish bring Houdini and circus freaks to her house?
2. What does The boy see Mother do in the back garden?
3. How do the second generation Irish feel about the new immigrants?
4. What becomes the fashion among the rich in turn of the century America?
5. What does newspaperman Riis find when he goes to the docks to interview Stanford white about housing for the poor?
6. What sight as they sail out of New York Harbor depresses Father?
7. What does The Boy think bronze statues are?
8. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
9. What does The Boy recover from the trash?
10. What is the nature of Evelyn's testimony in Harry's trial?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)