|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is on the mind of Mother's Younger Brother?
(a) Greta Garbo.
(b) Evelyn Nesbit.
(c) Nora Desmond.
(d) Clara Bow.
2. How has The Boy changed?
(a) He has lost his interest in science.
(b) He is taller and has lost some of his fat.
(c) He has begun to copy Mother's Younger Brother.
(d) He is like a stranger to Father.
3. Why does Evelyn call the old man Tateh?
(a) Because he cannot pronounce his Hebrew name.
(b) Because his clothes looked tattered.
(c) Because she met him on Tateh Street.
(d) Because he would not tell her his real name.
4. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
(a) Better than a train schedule.
(b) A crazy quilt of races.
(c) A guide to the theaters.
(d) A colored chart of districts.
5. Why is Houdini brooding while walking the streets of New York?
(a) He is thinking about the possibility of his death.
(b) He cannot come up with any new tricks because he has done them all.
(c) It is real world adventures that people remember and not his magic tricks.
(d) He wants to become a pilot but no one will teach him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
2. What does Father notice as the expedition sails out of the harbor?
3. Where are the immigrants ushered as they enter New York Harbor?
4. What do most of the 1mmigrants find as they settle in New York?
5. In the late 1800s, what seemed to happen in one hundreds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the famous psychologists who visit New York at this time and what is their reaction?
2. How do the second generation Irish feel about the new immigrants?
3. What does Younger Brother do for a political rally in Rye, New York?
4. Explain how Harry K. Shaw gets to see Harry Houdini.
5. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
6. Why is Houdini thrown out of Bellevue Hospital?
7. What is the nature of Evelyn's testimony in Harry's trial?
8. How are Tateh and The Girl rescued from being separated?
9. What does The boy see Mother do in the back garden?
10. What does The Boy recover from the trash?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)