|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
(a) Stopping the flow of emigrants into the country.
(b) Better housing for the poor.
(c) The trial of the century.
(d) The music in Harlem.
2. What is Goldman's political stance?
3. What does Tateh do for the strike organizers?
(a) He carries their luggage.
(b) He makes posters.
(c) He cooks their meals.
(d) He writes songs for the strikers to sing.
4. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
(b) Tally marks.
5. What does Father think about when he sees the new immigrants?
(a) That there are too many immigrants coming into the USA.
(b) That there will be new competition for his business.
(c) That there will be more crime in New York.
(d) That they all buy American flags.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the arrival of the immigrants symbolize?
2. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
3. Where does The Boy get some of Tateh's silhouettes?
4. Where does Evelyn go when she doesn't find Tateh and the girl one day?
5. What stories does Grandfather tell The Boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the famous psychologists who visit New York at this time and what is their reaction?
2. What is the nature of Evelyn's testimony in Harry's trial?
3. What becomes the fashion among the rich in turn of the century America?
4. What infatuation comes over Mother's Younger brother?
5. What causes Harry K. Shaw to propose marriage to Evelyn Nesbit?
6. What does Evelyn see when she goes with Tateh to a socialist meeting?
7. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
8. How is Father sent off on his trip with the Perry expedition to the North Pole?
9. Why does socialite Mrs. Stuyvesant Fish bring Houdini and circus freaks to her house?
10. What does The Boy recover from the trash?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)