|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the immigrants ushered as they enter New York Harbor?
(a) Ellis Island.
(b) Long Island.
(c) Manhattan Island.
(d) Staten Island.
2. When Freud visited New York and saw the early motion pictures, what was his thought?
(a) Americans have too much leisure time.
(b) At least they are silent.
(c) They hurt my eyes.
(d) These could be used on my patients.
3. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
(a) Companies going bankrupt.
(b) Catching tuberculosis.
(c) New immagrants working for less money.
(d) Attempting to form unions.
4. What worries Tateh as he observes The Girl?
(a) She doesn't seem to be growing.
(b) She slouches like a depressed person.
(c) She has no color from staying inside so long.
(d) She is maturing and has no mother to guide her.
5. What does The Boy see on the ice?
(a) Tracks of skate blades that soon are erased.
(b) Fishing holes cut into the ice.
(c) Old people skating slowly.
(d) Dogs chasing children on the ice.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the jail called The Tombs, what do the guards invent?
2. At the trial, how does Evelyn depict herself at age fifteen?
3. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
4. Why is Houdini brooding while walking the streets of New York?
5. What change is obvious in Younger Brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
2. Why does socialite Mrs. Stuyvesant Fish bring Houdini and circus freaks to her house?
3. What does The Boy think bronze statues are?
4. What happens when Tateh is working in the Mills in Lawrence, Massachusetts?
5. What are the lead workers doing as Perry comes leisurely behind?
6. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
7. What are Tateh's plans for him and The Girl as they leave New York?
8. How does Evelyn lose The Girl?
9. What does Younger Brother do for a political rally in Rye, New York?
10. Explain how Harry K. Shaw gets to see Harry Houdini.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)