|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Evelyn Nesbit doing before her husband's trial?
(a) Shopping for new clothes to wear to her husband's trial.
(b) Rehearsing what she will say on the stand.
(c) Having an affair with the doorman.
(d) Writing her memoirs.
2. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The calls of ice venders.
(b) The sounds of piano lessons.
(c) The rattle of streetcars.
(d) The people speaking English.
3. Why does The Girl like the strike?
(a) It gets her out of the one room apartment.
(b) She likes the snow.
(c) She gets to wear her new coat.
(d) She gets to meet many people.
4. What happens when a woman striker is shot?
(a) The militia is called away.
(b) The workers attack the police.
(c) The strike leaders are arrested for complicity.
(d) Tateh gets elected leader.
5. What plea does Shaw's mother want him to make in court but he flatly refuses?
(a) No lo contendre.
(c) Self defense.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the physical condition of the rich prior to William Howard Taft becoming President?
2. With whom is Father planning to travel to the North Pole?
3. What happens when Tateh is beaten by the police and the train The Girl is on starts to move?
4. Why does Evelyn call the old man Tateh?
5. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Evelyn lose The Girl?
2. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
3. What becomes the fashion among the rich in turn of the century America?
4. What crime is Harry K. Shaw accused of committing?
5. What are the lead workers doing as Perry comes leisurely behind?
6. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
7. What is the nature of Evelyn's testimony in Harry's trial?
8. How is Father sent off on his trip with the Perry expedition to the North Pole?
9. How are Tateh and The Girl rescued from being separated?
10. What is Evelyn doing with Younger Brother after Tateh and The girl leave?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)