|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doctorow suggest Sigmund Freud's revenge on America was?
(a) Sending his European students to America.
(b) Turning Carl Jung loose on America.
(c) Destroying sex in America forever.
(d) Having so many psychiatrists in America.
2. What does Father think about when he sees the new immigrants?
(a) That they all buy American flags.
(b) That there will be new competition for his business.
(c) That there will be more crime in New York.
(d) That there are too many immigrants coming into the USA.
3. What do Mameh, Tateh, and the Little Girl do to make a living?
(a) Sell on the streets and sew patches by hand.
(b) Sing and dance on the streets.
(c) Take in boarders.
(d) Make deliveries on bicycles.
4. What does Tateh do for the strike organizers?
(a) He cooks their meals.
(b) He carries their luggage.
(c) He makes posters.
(d) He writes songs for the strikers to sing.
5. What worries Tateh as he observes The Girl?
(a) She doesn't seem to be growing.
(b) She is maturing and has no mother to guide her.
(c) She slouches like a depressed person.
(d) She has no color from staying inside so long.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does Younger Brother ride the streetcar?
2. Why does Evelyn call the old man Tateh?
3. What plea does Shaw's mother want him to make in court but he flatly refuses?
4. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
5. What happens when a woman striker is shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the famous psychologists who visit New York at this time and what is their reaction?
2. What is the nature of Evelyn's testimony in Harry's trial?
3. What causes Harry K. Shaw to propose marriage to Evelyn Nesbit?
4. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
5. What idea does Tateh have that makes them money.
6. What does The Boy think bronze statues are?
7. What are Tateh's plans for him and The Girl as they leave New York?
8. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
9. What does Tateh notice about The Girl on their train trip.
10. What is Mother's concern about Younger Brother?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)