|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tateh have that finally makes them money?
(a) His new coat and tie.
(b) His art supplies.
(c) The Girl's new cloak and hat.
(d) The flip book he made for The Girl which he sells for $25.
2. What does the arrival of the immigrants symbolize?
(a) That there are changes coming for the country.
(b) That the weather will turn bad.
(c) That the world economy is failing.
(d) That a famine is headed for America.
3. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
(a) The King of Spain.
(b) Queen Victoria.
(c) The Archduke Ferdinand.
(d) The Prince of Wales.
4. How does Tateh entertain The Girl at home?
(a) He teaches her old Yiddish songs.
(b) He teaches her how to dance.
(c) He tells her stories of the old country.
(d) He makes silhouette thumb books for her to look at.
5. When Freud visited New York and saw the early motion pictures, what was his thought?
(a) They hurt my eyes.
(b) Americans have too much leisure time.
(c) At least they are silent.
(d) These could be used on my patients.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Houdini do in Germany?
2. Who becomes Evelyn's lover?
3. What does Evelyn do with most of her money?
4. Why does The Girl like the strike?
5. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does The boy see Mother do in the back garden?
2. What is the nature of Evelyn's testimony in Harry's trial?
3. Who are the famous psychologists who visit New York at this time and what is their reaction?
4. How do the second generation Irish feel about the new immigrants?
5. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
6. What is Evelyn doing with Younger Brother after Tateh and The girl leave?
7. What causes Harry K. Shaw to propose marriage to Evelyn Nesbit?
8. What happens when Tateh is working in the Mills in Lawrence, Massachusetts?
9. What are the lead workers doing as Perry comes leisurely behind?
10. Explain how Harry K. Shaw gets to see Harry Houdini.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)