|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a second trial, what sentence does Harry K. Shaw receive?
(a) Remanded to the Manhattan Hospital for the Criminally Insane.
(b) Life in prison.
(c) Seven years in prison.
(d) The electric chair.
2. What worries Tateh as he observes The Girl?
(a) She doesn't seem to be growing.
(b) She is maturing and has no mother to guide her.
(c) She has no color from staying inside so long.
(d) She slouches like a depressed person.
3. What do most of the 1mmigrants find as they settle in New York?
(a) They have free housing and food.
(b) They still have to struggle to survive.
(c) They find many good paying jobs.
(d) They cannot locate their relatives.
4. Where is the train headed?
5. What change is obvious in Younger Brother?
(a) He has dyed his hair black.
(b) He has taken a job in New York City.
(c) He has had his photo in the newspapers with Evelyn Nesbit.
(d) He has taken to working twelve and fifteen hours a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
2. What does Tateh do for the strike organizers?
3. What happens when Tateh is beaten by the police and the train The Girl is on starts to move?
4. What happens when the Young Man hides in Goldman's closet?
5. Why does Father not go to the Pole with Perry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What becomes the fashion among the rich in turn of the century America?
2. What is Mother's concern about Younger Brother?
3. What are Tateh's plans for him and The Girl as they leave New York?
4. What are the lead workers doing as Perry comes leisurely behind?
5. What is Perry's attitude towards the Esquimo people?
6. Explain how Harry K. Shaw gets to see Harry Houdini.
7. How are Tateh and The Girl rescued from being separated?
8. What does Younger Brother do for a political rally in Rye, New York?
9. Why does socialite Mrs. Stuyvesant Fish bring Houdini and circus freaks to her house?
10. How does Evelyn lose The Girl?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)