|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Tateh and The Girl go to warm up after spending the night in the train station?
(a) A Philadelphia Department Store.
(b) A synagogue.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) A small cafe.
2. What happens when a woman striker is shot?
(a) The workers attack the police.
(b) The militia is called away.
(c) Tateh gets elected leader.
(d) The strike leaders are arrested for complicity.
3. Why is the girl tied by a rope to the old man's wrists?
(a) Because the girl would dance when the rope was pulled.
(b) Because the girl was insane.
(c) Because girls and women were often kidnapped.
(d) Because the old man was bline.
4. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
(c) Tally marks.
5. What is Father's great guilt?
(a) That he had not thought of his family while he was gone.
(b) That he had killed an auk.
(c) That he had lost his interest in business.
(d) That he had slept with an Esquimo woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tateh do for the strike organizers?
2. What does Mameh finally do to make extra money?
3. What does Evelyn receive in her divorce settlement?
4. At the jail called The Tombs, what do the guards invent?
5. What is Little Boy wishing for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father return alone to New York, leaving the family in Atlantic City.
2. How are Tateh and The Girl rescued from being separated?
3. What happens to Sarah at the rally?
4. Why does J. P. Morgan want to meet with Henry Ford?
5. How do the second generation Irish feel about the new immigrants?
6. Why does socialite Mrs. Stuyvesant Fish bring Houdini and circus freaks to her house?
7. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
8. What is Sarah's funeral like?
9. What does Morgan think about making automobiles available to the masses?
10. What causes Younger Brother to run out of the parlor one evening after dinner?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)