|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
(a) They find a ship and return to Europe.
(b) Tateh decides they must leave the city where he had such bad luck.
(c) They move into another tenement.
(d) Tateh puts new locks on their door.
2. which immigrants are sent back home?
(a) Those from Africa.
(b) Those who are criminals.
(c) Those too old or ill.
(d) Thos who cannot read.
3. What does Mameh finally do to make extra money?
(a) Work as a roommaid in a hotel.
(b) Submit to the advances of her employer.
(c) Shoplift from small stores.
(d) Dance in a burlesque house.
4. As the strike wears on, what is being done for the children?
(a) They are given extra rations in the soup kitchens.
(b) They are sent to private schools.
(c) They are being boarded by wealthy families in other cities.
(d) They are enlisted to march in the picket lines.
5. Where does the story of RAGTIME begin?
(a) Albany, New York.
(b) New Rochelle, New York.
(c) Manhattan, New York.
(d) Brooklyn, New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the arrival of the immigrants symbolize?
2. What do Mameh, Tateh, and the Little Girl do to make a living?
3. What does Father do with all the family watching?
4. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
5. Who becomes Evelyn's lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the lead workers doing as Perry comes leisurely behind?
2. How does Mother's and Father's relationship change in Atlantic City?
3. What suddenly worries Sarah after the Fire House incident?
4. What causes the theater to shake where Houdini is performing?
5. What does The boy see Mother do in the back garden?
6. What sight as they sail out of New York Harbor depresses Father?
7. Why does J. P. Morgan want to meet with Henry Ford?
8. What does the Franklin Novelty Company do with Tateh's books?
9. What does Younger Brother do for a political rally in Rye, New York?
10. What is it that Evelyn Nesbit does not understand when she sees The Girl tied to her father?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)