|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
(a) P. T. Barnum.
(b) John Dillinger.
(c) Jesse James.
(d) Harry Houdini.
2. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
(a) Queen Victoria.
(b) The Archduke Ferdinand.
(c) The King of Spain.
(d) The Prince of Wales.
3. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
(a) Better housing for the poor.
(b) Stopping the flow of emigrants into the country.
(c) The trial of the century.
(d) The music in Harlem.
4. How does Tateh entertain The Girl at home?
(a) He teaches her old Yiddish songs.
(b) He teaches her how to dance.
(c) He makes silhouette thumb books for her to look at.
(d) He tells her stories of the old country.
5. What is Matthew Henson's special knowledge that make him invaluable to Perry?
(a) He has an uncanny sense of direction.
(b) He is good at repairing dog sleds.
(c) He is an expert chef.
(d) He can perform surgery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Perry able to locate the exact spot of the North Pole?
2. What does The Boy think happens to people, animals, or objects in a motion picture?
3. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
4. In the late 1800s, what seemed to happen in one hundreds?
5. What is a theme established in the first two chapters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Younger Brother do for a political rally in Rye, New York?
2. What is Father's condition when he returns form the Arctic?
3. What infatuation comes over Mother's Younger brother?
4. What does the Franklin Novelty Company do with Tateh's books?
5. What is Perry's attitude towards the Esquimo people?
6. What happens when Tateh is working in the Mills in Lawrence, Massachusetts?
7. What does The boy see Mother do in the back garden?
8. What are the lead workers doing as Perry comes leisurely behind?
9. What crime is Harry K. Shaw accused of committing?
10. Why does socialite Mrs. Stuyvesant Fish bring Houdini and circus freaks to her house?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)