|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Young Man hides in Goldman's closet?
(a) He sees Evelyn naked and loses control.
(b) He covers his eyes when Godlman gives Evelyn a massage.
(c) He faints when he sees Evelyn in the nude.
(d) He gets caught when Goldman hangs up her coat.
2. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
(a) A guide to the theaters.
(b) Better than a train schedule.
(c) A colored chart of districts.
(d) A crazy quilt of races.
3. Who was in the opposite cell of The Tombs as the great escape artist worked his feat?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Al Jolson.
(c) Harry K. Shaw.
(d) Theodore Dreiser.
4. How has The Boy changed?
(a) He is like a stranger to Father.
(b) He has begun to copy Mother's Younger Brother.
(c) He is taller and has lost some of his fat.
(d) He has lost his interest in science.
5. What does the arrival of the immigrants symbolize?
(a) That there are changes coming for the country.
(b) That a famine is headed for America.
(c) That the world economy is failing.
(d) That the weather will turn bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plea does Shaw's mother want him to make in court but he flatly refuses?
2. What do Mameh, Tateh, and the Little Girl do to make a living?
3. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
4. What does The Boy see on the ice?
5. What does Father notice as the expedition sails out of the harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does socialite Mrs. Stuyvesant Fish bring Houdini and circus freaks to her house?
2. What does Evelyn see when she goes with Tateh to a socialist meeting?
3. What does Tateh notice about The Girl on their train trip.
4. What infatuation comes over Mother's Younger brother?
5. What causes Harry K. Shaw to propose marriage to Evelyn Nesbit?
6. How do the second generation Irish feel about the new immigrants?
7. What idea does Tateh have that makes them money.
8. Explain how Harry K. Shaw gets to see Harry Houdini.
9. How does Evelyn lose The Girl?
10. What is Mother's concern about Younger Brother?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)