|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is it possible for them to travel cheaply?
(a) They stop in each town and Tateh does his silhouettes.
(b) They get a discount because of the girl.
(c) They can change lines at each rail terminus and keep going.
(d) They slip into empty cattle cars and hide from the watchmen.
2. What does Father think about when he sees the new immigrants?
(a) That there are too many immigrants coming into the USA.
(b) That they all buy American flags.
(c) That there will be new competition for his business.
(d) That there will be more crime in New York.
3. Where does the story of RAGTIME begin?
(a) New Rochelle, New York.
(b) Brooklyn, New York.
(c) Albany, New York.
(d) Manhattan, New York.
4. At the jail called The Tombs, what do the guards invent?
(a) A jail cell that cannot be opened without a key and a combination.
(b) A new type of leg irons they claim to be inescapable.
(c) An escape-proof solitary confinement cell.
(d) New handcuffs that cannot be opened without a key.
5. What is Matthew Henson's special knowledge that make him invaluable to Perry?
(a) He is good at repairing dog sleds.
(b) He can perform surgery.
(c) He is an expert chef.
(d) He has an uncanny sense of direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seeing the man who has been following her, what does Evelyn think?
2. Who becomes Evelyn's lover?
3. Is Perry able to locate the exact spot of the North Pole?
4. What was Freud's judgment about America?
5. What does The Boy think happens to people, animals, or objects in a motion picture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Younger Brother do for a political rally in Rye, New York?
2. What suddenly worries Sarah after the Fire House incident?
3. Explain how Harry K. Shaw gets to see Harry Houdini.
4. What becomes fashionable because of Morgan's obsession with Egyptology?
5. What is the gossip about Evelyn's disappearances to visit The Girl?
6. What does The boy see Mother do in the back garden?
7. That spring, what happens at the Matteawan State Prison Farm?
8. What are Tateh's plans for him and The Girl as they leave New York?
9. What is Evelyn doing with Younger Brother after Tateh and The girl leave?
10. What is keeping Father busy that summer?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)