|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At that time, who was at the top of the business pyramid in the USA?
(d) J. P. Morgan.
2. Where do Father and The Boy go in spite of the tension surrounding Coalhouse's being at large?
(a) On a drive through Harlem.
(b) A Giants baseball game.
(c) To Coney Island.
(d) To see the Statue of Liberty.
3. Where do Younger Brother and Father die?
(a) Younger Brother in Bellview and Father in the Hindenberg.
(b) Younger Brother in Mexico and Father on the Lusitania.
(c) Younger Brother in a train wreck and Father in the hospital.
(d) Younger Brother in Texas and Father in his bed.
4. Why is Houdini's mothers grave covered with a mound of small stones?
(a) It is a new cenetary and no grass has been planted yert.
(b) They are there to discourage grave robbers.
(c) It is a Jewish custome to leave a samll stone at every visit to a gravesite.
(d) Each stone has a message written on it.
5. Who does Coalhouse plan to kidnap and exchange for Willie Conklin?
(a) Harry Houdini.
(b) Henry Ford.
(c) Pierpont Morgan.
(d) Evelyn Nesbit.
6. Why do Coalhouse and his boys end up in the marble museum?
(a) The Morgan house was heavily guarded.
(b) The boys scouted out the wrong building.
(c) The museum had more room.
(d) The boys could not find Morgan's house.
7. What does Coalhouse Walker, Jr., do to identify himself.
(a) He leaves letters at newspapers that he wants the Fire Chief turned over to him and his car returned in new condition.
(b) He spreads a rumor that he is the one the police are looking for.
(c) He writes messaged on walls all over town that he wants to kill the Fire Chief.
(d) He writes letter to the mayor saying that Father's fireworks factory will be next.
8. How does the knowledge of Coalhouse Walker's activities eventually become known?
(a) One of the gang members drops out and goes to the police.
(b) Younger Brother keeps a diary of every day with Coalhouse.
(c) Coalhouse writes everything down to be opened after his death.
(d) A black lawyer gets information from one of Coalhouse's gang.
9. What does Morgan bring back from Europe every year?
(a) Orphans he adopted every year.
(b) Boatloads of gold and silver.
(c) Art, rare manuscripts, jades, bronzes, tapestries, and crystal.
(d) Skilled workers to work on his projects.
10. What had actually exploded that night?
(a) A homemade bomb.
(b) The boiler of the overturned fire wagon.
(c) A small canon.
(d) fireworks at Father's plant.
11. What new activity does Younger Brother take up?
(a) Gambling on the horses.
(b) Learning how to tap dance.
(c) Writing poetry for the newspapers.
(d) Going to Broadway plays and waiting in the alley for the stars.
12. What is the truth about Baron Ashkenazy?
(a) He is from noble German royalty.
(b) He is not a baron at all.
(c) He is not the father of the girl.
(d) He fears American mothers.
13. What returns to Father at the sea in Atlantic City?
(a) His weight begins to drop off.
(b) His hair begins to grow again on top of his head.
(c) Father's desire to make love to Mother.
(d) His color returns to normal.
14. Who becomes alarmed when a full military assault on the museum is suggested?
(a) A museum curator.
(b) J. P. Morgan.
(c) The District Attorney.
(d) The Bovernor of New York.
15. Why is it a busy time of the year for Father's business?
(a) It is nearing the Fourth of July.
(b) It is nearly Valentine's Day.
(c) It is the start of football season.
(d) It is close to New Year's Eve.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who captures Mother's interest in Atlantic City?
2. What happens to Sarah in the hospital?
3. What is Father worried about after the murders?
4. What are the ages of Coalhouse's followers?
5. Who wrote Morgan's favorite story, The Birthmark?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)