|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the funeral described?
(d) Small and intimate.
2. Why does he insist on living a grand style in Europe?
(a) To make sure he is on top in business.
(b) For the sake of the image of the country.
(c) To rub his affluence in other people's noses.
(d) To be able to turn down invitations from kings.
3. Why is it a busy time of the year for Father's business?
(a) It is nearly Valentine's Day.
(b) It is the start of football season.
(c) It is nearing the Fourth of July.
(d) It is close to New Year's Eve.
4. Who were most of the mourners at Sarah's funeral?
(a) New York policemen.
(b) Father, Mother, Younger Brother, and The Boy.
(c) Musician friends of Coalhouse.
(d) Hired mourners.
5. What does Coalhouse Walker, Jr., do to identify himself.
(a) He leaves letters at newspapers that he wants the Fire Chief turned over to him and his car returned in new condition.
(b) He writes messaged on walls all over town that he wants to kill the Fire Chief.
(c) He spreads a rumor that he is the one the police are looking for.
(d) He writes letter to the mayor saying that Father's fireworks factory will be next.
6. What happens when Red Jack Murray hits a high pop up ball?
(a) The umpire gets hit in the head.
(b) It hits Father in the face.
(c) Everyone boos the pitcher.
(d) The Boy catches it.
7. What became the decorating theme of that day after Morgan talked to Henry Ford?
(a) Images of ancient Egypt.
(b) Pastoral mural wallpaper.
(c) Dollar signs and the Ford logo.
(d) Wallpaper with Ford cars going up and down.
8. What happens to Sarah as she tries to approach a man she thought was the President?
(a) Sheis stoned by the crowd.
(b) She is turned away and not allowed to come close.
(c) She is trampled by the crowd.
(d) She is hit in the chest with the butt of a rifle.
9. Who in the family understands and admires Coalhouse?
(a) The Boy.
(d) Younger Brother.
10. What happens to Coalhouse after he comes out of the museum with his hands raised?
(a) He gets away when the generators fail.
(b) He is executed in a volly of gunfire.
(c) He is attacked by Willie Conklin.
(d) He is taken to jail.
11. What had Morgan once done for the U.S. government?
(a) Imported gold for the national treasury.
(b) Arranged a loan that kept it out of bankruptcy.
(c) Subsidized the military.
(d) Served as Secretary of the Treasury.
12. What does Mother notice about the change in Sarah's face?
(a) She notices Sarah has broken out in a rash.
(b) She thinks Sarah's face was getting darker.
(c) She is awed by her beauty.
(d) She pities her because she is so plain.
13. What lecture does Emma Goldman give Younger Brother?
(a) That he should travel to the West Coast.
(b) That he should organize the union in Father's business.
(c) That he should forget Evelyn and get on with his life.
(d) That he should learn another trade and make some real money.
14. What has The Boy taken to doing now that Sarah is communicative?
(a) Asking Sarah endless questions.
(b) Drawing pictures for Sarah.
(c) Reading to Sarah.
(d) Playing with the baby.
15. Who does Coalhouse plan to kidnap and exchange for Willie Conklin?
(a) Pierpont Morgan.
(b) Henry Ford.
(c) Evelyn Nesbit.
(d) Harry Houdini.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family learn about Coalhouse Walker, Jr.?
2. On the milk train going back to New Rochelle, what does Younger Brother contemplate?
3. What do the police discover as they go through the wreckage of the demolished building?
4. Where do Younger Brother and Father die?
5. How had Father gotten his start in business?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)