|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it a busy time of the year for Father's business?
(a) It is close to New Year's Eve.
(b) It is nearing the Fourth of July.
(c) It is nearly Valentine's Day.
(d) It is the start of football season.
2. Where does Younger Brother go?
(b) Washington state.
3. At that time, who was at the top of the business pyramid in the USA?
(c) J. P. Morgan.
4. Who does Younger Brother attach himself to in Mexico?
(b) Francisco Villa.
(c) Simon Bolivar.
(d) Santa Ana.
5. What had Morgan once done for the U.S. government?
(a) Subsidized the military.
(b) Arranged a loan that kept it out of bankruptcy.
(c) Served as Secretary of the Treasury.
(d) Imported gold for the national treasury.
6. What is the description of the man who led the attack on the fire station?
(a) A stout man wearing a bandana mask.
(b) A man who looked a lot like the Fire Chief.
(c) A short man with coal dust on his face.
(d) An unidentified Negro male.
7. Where does Harry K. Thaw go after his escape?
(a) To New Rochelle.
(c) To Evelyn's apartment.
8. What do the police discover as they go through the wreckage of the demolished building?
(a) The building exploded because of an earthquake.
(b) The fire started when a cook stove blew up.
(c) Two of the victims had been shot; it was a case of murder.
(d) A fireman had thrown a cigarette into a gas can.
9. What could The Boy see in the polished rear doors of the Pierce Arrow hearse?
(a) The reflection of the entire street.
(b) The large wreath of red roses.
(c) The reflection of the sky.
(d) The image of a small black girl.
10. What happens at the Emerald Isle Fire Station?
(a) Young brother goes to apply for a job.
(b) Coalhouse is not allowed to pass and his car is vandalized.
(c) Father provides the bunting for a barbecue.
(d) Coalhouse and Sarah get married.
11. Where do Father and The Boy go in spite of the tension surrounding Coalhouse's being at large?
(a) To see the Statue of Liberty.
(b) To Coney Island.
(c) On a drive through Harlem.
(d) A Giants baseball game.
12. Who does Morgan want to meet?
(b) Henry Ford.
(c) Sarah Burnhardt.
(d) Evelyn Nesbit.
13. What happens to Coalhouse after he comes out of the museum with his hands raised?
(a) He gets away when the generators fail.
(b) He is attacked by Willie Conklin.
(c) He is taken to jail.
(d) He is executed in a volly of gunfire.
14. Why is Houdini's mothers grave covered with a mound of small stones?
(a) It is a new cenetary and no grass has been planted yert.
(b) Each stone has a message written on it.
(c) They are there to discourage grave robbers.
(d) It is a Jewish custome to leave a samll stone at every visit to a gravesite.
15. Where is Sarah funeral held?
(a) In South Carolina.
(b) In Harlem.
(c) In the Bronx.
(d) In New Rochelle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family learn about Coalhouse Walker, Jr.?
2. Who does Coalhouse plan to kidnap and exchange for Willie Conklin?
3. What new activity does Younger Brother take up?
4. How is the funeral described?
5. What does Morgan bring back from Europe every year?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)