|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the milk train going back to New Rochelle, what does Younger Brother contemplate?
(b) Buying a Model-T.
(c) Getting married.
(d) A new poem.
2. What happens to Coalhouse after he comes out of the museum with his hands raised?
(a) He is taken to jail.
(b) He is executed in a volly of gunfire.
(c) He gets away when the generators fail.
(d) He is attacked by Willie Conklin.
3. What happens when Red Jack Murray hits a high pop up ball?
(a) Everyone boos the pitcher.
(b) The umpire gets hit in the head.
(c) The Boy catches it.
(d) It hits Father in the face.
4. What resemblance does Morgan see in Henry Ford?
(a) A resemblance to Thomas Jefferson.
(b) A resemblance to Napoleon Bonapart.
(c) A resemblance to a golden eagle.
(d) A resemblance of Sethi I, Pharoah of Egypt.
5. What had Morgan once done for the U.S. government?
(a) Imported gold for the national treasury.
(b) Served as Secretary of the Treasury.
(c) Subsidized the military.
(d) Arranged a loan that kept it out of bankruptcy.
6. What happens at the Emerald Isle Fire Station?
(a) Coalhouse and Sarah get married.
(b) Coalhouse is not allowed to pass and his car is vandalized.
(c) Young brother goes to apply for a job.
(d) Father provides the bunting for a barbecue.
7. What happens to Sarah as she tries to approach a man she thought was the President?
(a) She is hit in the chest with the butt of a rifle.
(b) Sheis stoned by the crowd.
(c) She is turned away and not allowed to come close.
(d) She is trampled by the crowd.
8. What do the police discover as they go through the wreckage of the demolished building?
(a) The fire started when a cook stove blew up.
(b) A fireman had thrown a cigarette into a gas can.
(c) Two of the victims had been shot; it was a case of murder.
(d) The building exploded because of an earthquake.
9. Where does Younger Brother go?
(d) Washington state.
10. What is the description of the man who led the attack on the fire station?
(a) A stout man wearing a bandana mask.
(b) A man who looked a lot like the Fire Chief.
(c) A short man with coal dust on his face.
(d) An unidentified Negro male.
11. Who does Coalhouse plan to kidnap and exchange for Willie Conklin?
(a) Harry Houdini.
(b) Evelyn Nesbit.
(c) Henry Ford.
(d) Pierpont Morgan.
12. Who arrives in a white town car and shoots a policeman and bombs Municipal Fire Station No. 2?
(a) Several black men holding shotguns.
(b) Coalhouse and Younger Brother.
(c) Masked men as undercover policemen.
(d) Coalhouse and some Italians.
13. How do Father and Mother sometimes travel down the boardwalk in Atlantic City?
(a) They go on rollerskates.
(b) They ride in a horse drawn hansom.
(c) They are pushed in wheeled, wicker chairs.
(d) They go on a trolley.
14. Who wrote Morgan's favorite story, The Birthmark?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Washington Irving.
(c) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(d) Theodore Dreiser.
15. What are the ages of Coalhouse's followers?
(a) Men as old as sixty-five.
(b) From sixteen to seventy-two.
(c) Eighteen to twenties.
(d) Near Coalhouse's age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cares for the baby while Sarah lay dying in the hospital?
2. What does Morgan bring back from Europe every year?
3. As the procession crosses into Brooklyn, what is seen settling on the rails of the Brooklyn Bridge?
4. After his mother's death, what does Houdini set out to do?
5. Where is Sarah funeral held?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)