|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Father and the family go to get away from the tension?
(a) New York City.
(d) Atlantic City.
2. What does Coalhouse Walker, Jr., do to identify himself.
(a) He writes messaged on walls all over town that he wants to kill the Fire Chief.
(b) He spreads a rumor that he is the one the police are looking for.
(c) He writes letter to the mayor saying that Father's fireworks factory will be next.
(d) He leaves letters at newspapers that he wants the Fire Chief turned over to him and his car returned in new condition.
3. What kind of music does Coalhouse play?
(a) Minstrel show tunes.
(c) Modern jazz.
4. Who wrote Morgan's favorite story, The Birthmark?
(a) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(b) Theodore Dreiser.
(c) Washington Irving.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
5. What is the first response to the police from the museum?
(a) A mutilated Rembrandt.
(b) Dead silence.
(c) A gun shot.
(d) A grenade thrown into the street.
6. When a reporter looks up Houdini to get his reaction to the escape, where is he found?
(a) At his mother's grave.
(b) On his way to Europe.
(c) In the theater.
(d) Escaping from a trunk in the East River.
7. What could The Boy see in the polished rear doors of the Pierce Arrow hearse?
(a) The reflection of the sky.
(b) The large wreath of red roses.
(c) The image of a small black girl.
(d) The reflection of the entire street.
8. Most people think that it was the work of a group of armed men, but what does the newspaper suggest?
(a) It was the Fire Chief.
(b) It was an inside job.
(c) It was someone who mistook the station for a bank.
(d) It was the work of one crazed killer.
9. Why does Baron Ashkenazy say his daughter is sad and seldom speaks?
(a) She had lost her kitten.
(b) She was missing Europe.
(c) She suffered from migraines.
(d) Her mother had died some years ago.
10. Why does Coalhouse accept Younger Brother's help?
(a) Younger Brother has dyed his blong hair black.
(b) Younger Brother has joined the Communist Party.
(c) Younger Brother says he can make bombs.
(d) Younger Brother knows where Coalhouse's son is.
11. What is the result when the newspapers succeed in getting the Model-T raised from the pond?
(a) The authorities were embarrassed because it showed the cruelty imposed on Coalhouse.
(b) No one was interested in coming to see it.
(c) The photos in the papers made Coalhouse even angrier.
(d) The new police chief announced it was the work of communists.
12. What happened to Ben Reitman in San Diego?
(a) He had performed in shakespeare plays.
(b) He had won his first boxing match.
(c) He had been beaten and thrown in the ocean.
(d) He had been tarred and feathered.
13. At that time, who was at the top of the business pyramid in the USA?
(b) J. P. Morgan.
14. Where do Father and The Boy go in spite of the tension surrounding Coalhouse's being at large?
(a) To Coney Island.
(b) To see the Statue of Liberty.
(c) A Giants baseball game.
(d) On a drive through Harlem.
15. Who does Coalhouse plan to kidnap and exchange for Willie Conklin?
(a) Pierpont Morgan.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Henry Ford.
(d) Evelyn Nesbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is arrested after Coalhouse takes over the museum?
2. What happens when Red Jack Murray hits a high pop up ball?
3. What is Father worried about after the murders?
4. What is the truth about Baron Ashkenazy?
5. What physical abnormality does Pierpont Morgan have?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)