|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Coalhouse plan to kidnap and exchange for Willie Conklin?
(a) Harry Houdini.
(b) Henry Ford.
(c) Pierpont Morgan.
(d) Evelyn Nesbit.
2. What is the truth about Baron Ashkenazy?
(a) He is not a baron at all.
(b) He is not the father of the girl.
(c) He fears American mothers.
(d) He is from noble German royalty.
3. What had actually exploded that night?
(a) A small canon.
(b) A homemade bomb.
(c) The boiler of the overturned fire wagon.
(d) fireworks at Father's plant.
4. Why is Houdini's mothers grave covered with a mound of small stones?
(a) Each stone has a message written on it.
(b) They are there to discourage grave robbers.
(c) It is a Jewish custome to leave a samll stone at every visit to a gravesite.
(d) It is a new cenetary and no grass has been planted yert.
5. What happens to Sarah as she tries to approach a man she thought was the President?
(a) She is hit in the chest with the butt of a rifle.
(b) Sheis stoned by the crowd.
(c) She is trampled by the crowd.
(d) She is turned away and not allowed to come close.
6. What is Father's relationship with Mother after he returns from the Arctic?
(a) They no longer share a bedroom.
(b) They slip into an undemanding companionship.
(c) Father thinks she does not measure up to the Esquimo woman.
(d) They go back to being like newly weds.
7. Who comes to try and talk Coalhouse into surrendering?
(a) Booker T. Washington.
(c) Emma Goldman.
(d) Willie Conklin.
8. What new activity does Younger Brother take up?
(a) Gambling on the horses.
(b) Writing poetry for the newspapers.
(c) Learning how to tap dance.
(d) Going to Broadway plays and waiting in the alley for the stars.
9. What became the decorating theme of that day after Morgan talked to Henry Ford?
(a) Pastoral mural wallpaper.
(b) Dollar signs and the Ford logo.
(c) Wallpaper with Ford cars going up and down.
(d) Images of ancient Egypt.
10. Who in the family understands and admires Coalhouse?
(a) Younger Brother.
(d) The Boy.
11. Why is it a busy time of the year for Father's business?
(a) It is close to New Year's Eve.
(b) It is nearly Valentine's Day.
(c) It is nearing the Fourth of July.
(d) It is the start of football season.
12. What are the ages of Coalhouse's followers?
(a) Men as old as sixty-five.
(b) Near Coalhouse's age.
(c) From sixteen to seventy-two.
(d) Eighteen to twenties.
13. When a reporter looks up Houdini to get his reaction to the escape, where is he found?
(a) In the theater.
(b) On his way to Europe.
(c) At his mother's grave.
(d) Escaping from a trunk in the East River.
14. What returns to Father at the sea in Atlantic City?
(a) His color returns to normal.
(b) His hair begins to grow again on top of his head.
(c) His weight begins to drop off.
(d) Father's desire to make love to Mother.
15. What happens one night that shakes the theater where Houdini had just performed?
(a) A boiler blew up in the theater.
(b) A head-on train wreck.
(c) An explosion at the Emerald Isle Fire House.
(d) A German bomb attack on New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first response to the police from the museum?
2. Why do the police pay little attention to burglaries at Father's fireworks factory?
3. What does Coalhouse Walker, Jr., do to identify himself.
4. As the procession crosses into Brooklyn, what is seen settling on the rails of the Brooklyn Bridge?
5. What has The Boy taken to doing now that Sarah is communicative?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)