|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the Emerald Isle Fire Station?
(a) Young brother goes to apply for a job.
(b) Coalhouse is not allowed to pass and his car is vandalized.
(c) Coalhouse and Sarah get married.
(d) Father provides the bunting for a barbecue.
2. When the New York City papers get the story, what happens with Chief Conklin?
(a) He becomes a target for former abolutionists.
(b) He becomes a state-wide hero.
(c) He has to go into hiding.
(d) He becomes hated as the perpetrator of the act of revenge.
3. What does Younger Brother tell Emilio Zapata?
(a) That he can make bombs and repair rifles.
(b) That he is an expert sniper.
(c) That he can get recruits from New York.
(d) That he knows President Taft.
4. Who gets the rebuilt Model-T?
(a) Willie conklin.
(b) Emma Goldman.
(c) Younger Brother.
5. Where do the cars come from that are used in the attacks?
(a) The boys steal them and return them undamaged.
(b) Emma Goldman arranges for them.
(c) Communists loan them to Coalhouse.
(d) Younger Brother rents them.
6. Why is Houdini's mothers grave covered with a mound of small stones?
(a) It is a Jewish custome to leave a samll stone at every visit to a gravesite.
(b) They are there to discourage grave robbers.
(c) It is a new cenetary and no grass has been planted yert.
(d) Each stone has a message written on it.
7. What happens to Sarah in the hospital?
(a) She dies.
(b) Coalhouse breaks their engagement.
(c) Sarah losses her memory.
(d) She recovers.
8. How had Father gotten his start in business?
(a) He was apprenticed to an Italian fireworks maker.
(b) He discovered a buried treasure.
(c) His rich uncle left the business to him.
(d) As an orphan, when he reached maturity he inherited a small amount of money.
9. What returns to Father at the sea in Atlantic City?
(a) His color returns to normal.
(b) His weight begins to drop off.
(c) His hair begins to grow again on top of his head.
(d) Father's desire to make love to Mother.
10. Who leaves a message that he wants to meet with Coalhouse?
(b) Younger Brother.
(c) Fire Chief Conklin.
(d) The new police chief.
11. What resemblance does Morgan see in Henry Ford?
(a) A resemblance to Thomas Jefferson.
(b) A resemblance to a golden eagle.
(c) A resemblance of Sethi I, Pharoah of Egypt.
(d) A resemblance to Napoleon Bonapart.
12. What does Father observe about the game of baseball as opposed to the way they played at Harvard twenty years before?
(a) At Harvard the team was made up of immigrants.
(b) The rules had changed quite a bit.
(c) It was crude rather than gentlemanly like at Harvard.
(d) The uniforms were more practical now.
13. What is Father's relationship with Mother after he returns from the Arctic?
(a) Father thinks she does not measure up to the Esquimo woman.
(b) They go back to being like newly weds.
(c) They no longer share a bedroom.
(d) They slip into an undemanding companionship.
14. When the Negro man goes to the back door and asks for Sarah, what happens?
(a) The Boy asks if he can ride in his car.
(b) Mother tells him to go away and never return.
(c) Mother invites him in for tea.
(d) Mother goes upstairs but Sarah refuses to come down.
15. Who does Coalhouse plan to kidnap and exchange for Willie Conklin?
(a) Evelyn Nesbit.
(b) Pierpont Morgan.
(c) Harry Houdini.
(d) Henry Ford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new activity does Younger Brother take up?
2. What had Morgan once done for the U.S. government?
3. On the milk train going back to New Rochelle, what does Younger Brother contemplate?
4. What do the police discover as they go through the wreckage of the demolished building?
5. What event is a great disappointment to Morgan?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)