|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the Emerald Isle Fire Station?
(a) Coalhouse is not allowed to pass and his car is vandalized.
(b) Father provides the bunting for a barbecue.
(c) Coalhouse and Sarah get married.
(d) Young brother goes to apply for a job.
2. When a reporter looks up Houdini to get his reaction to the escape, where is he found?
(a) Escaping from a trunk in the East River.
(b) In the theater.
(c) On his way to Europe.
(d) At his mother's grave.
3. What is the result when the newspapers succeed in getting the Model-T raised from the pond?
(a) The photos in the papers made Coalhouse even angrier.
(b) No one was interested in coming to see it.
(c) The authorities were embarrassed because it showed the cruelty imposed on Coalhouse.
(d) The new police chief announced it was the work of communists.
4. Where do Younger Brother and Father die?
(a) Younger Brother in Mexico and Father on the Lusitania.
(b) Younger Brother in a train wreck and Father in the hospital.
(c) Younger Brother in Texas and Father in his bed.
(d) Younger Brother in Bellview and Father in the Hindenberg.
5. What new activity does Younger Brother take up?
(a) Going to Broadway plays and waiting in the alley for the stars.
(b) Learning how to tap dance.
(c) Writing poetry for the newspapers.
(d) Gambling on the horses.
6. What does Father propose to do for Coalhouse?
(a) Pay Coalhouse's employer to increase his salary.
(b) Find Coalhouse a much better job.
(c) Buy Coalhouse a new car.
(d) Repair the car and bribe the Fire House to return it.
7. On the milk train going back to New Rochelle, what does Younger Brother contemplate?
(a) A new poem.
(b) Buying a Model-T.
(d) Getting married.
8. Why does Baron Ashkenazy say his daughter is sad and seldom speaks?
(a) She had lost her kitten.
(b) She suffered from migraines.
(c) She was missing Europe.
(d) Her mother had died some years ago.
9. Why do Coalhouse and his boys end up in the marble museum?
(a) The museum had more room.
(b) The Morgan house was heavily guarded.
(c) The boys scouted out the wrong building.
(d) The boys could not find Morgan's house.
10. When the Negro man goes to the back door and asks for Sarah, what happens?
(a) Mother tells him to go away and never return.
(b) Mother goes upstairs but Sarah refuses to come down.
(c) The Boy asks if he can ride in his car.
(d) Mother invites him in for tea.
11. How does the knowledge of Coalhouse Walker's activities eventually become known?
(a) Coalhouse writes everything down to be opened after his death.
(b) Younger Brother keeps a diary of every day with Coalhouse.
(c) One of the gang members drops out and goes to the police.
(d) A black lawyer gets information from one of Coalhouse's gang.
12. Who does Morgan want to meet?
(a) Sarah Burnhardt.
(c) Henry Ford.
(d) Evelyn Nesbit.
13. What worries Father after the baseball game?
(a) He thinks he should not have left Mother alone.
(b) A pickpocket has taken his wallet.
(c) He thinks he sees Coalhouse in the crowd.
(d) He is afraid they have missed the train.
14. What happens to Sarah as she tries to approach a man she thought was the President?
(a) She is hit in the chest with the butt of a rifle.
(b) She is trampled by the crowd.
(c) She is turned away and not allowed to come close.
(d) Sheis stoned by the crowd.
15. Why do the police pay little attention to burglaries at Father's fireworks factory?
(a) The sargeant who takes the report forgets to file it.
(b) They think the items were simplymisplaced.
(c) They are too concentrated on locating Coalhouse.
(d) There is no sign of breaking and entering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in the family understands and admires Coalhouse?
2. What does the family learn about Coalhouse Walker, Jr.?
3. What lecture does Emma Goldman give Younger Brother?
4. What does Mother notice about the change in Sarah's face?
5. What has The Boy taken to doing now that Sarah is communicative?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)