|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives in a white town car and shoots a policeman and bombs Municipal Fire Station No. 2?
(a) Masked men as undercover policemen.
(b) Coalhouse and some Italians.
(c) Coalhouse and Younger Brother.
(d) Several black men holding shotguns.
2. Why does Coalhouse accept Younger Brother's help?
(a) Younger Brother says he can make bombs.
(b) Younger Brother knows where Coalhouse's son is.
(c) Younger Brother has joined the Communist Party.
(d) Younger Brother has dyed his blong hair black.
3. Why does he insist on living a grand style in Europe?
(a) To make sure he is on top in business.
(b) To rub his affluence in other people's noses.
(c) To be able to turn down invitations from kings.
(d) For the sake of the image of the country.
4. What do the police discover as they go through the wreckage of the demolished building?
(a) The fire started when a cook stove blew up.
(b) A fireman had thrown a cigarette into a gas can.
(c) The building exploded because of an earthquake.
(d) Two of the victims had been shot; it was a case of murder.
5. Where do Younger Brother and Father die?
(a) Younger Brother in Mexico and Father on the Lusitania.
(b) Younger Brother in a train wreck and Father in the hospital.
(c) Younger Brother in Texas and Father in his bed.
(d) Younger Brother in Bellview and Father in the Hindenberg.
6. Who cares for the baby while Sarah lay dying in the hospital?
(a) Coalhouse comes and looks after the baby.
(b) The Boy takes charge of the baby.
(c) Younger Brother moves into Sarah's room and cares for the baby.
(d) Mother holds the baby constantly.
7. What newsworthy event happens at Matteawan State Prison Farm in the spring?
(a) Harry K. Thaw escapes.
(b) Harry K. Thaw is given a new trial.
(c) Harry K. thaw is released.
(d) Harry K. Thaw is executed.
8. How does the knowledge of Coalhouse Walker's activities eventually become known?
(a) A black lawyer gets information from one of Coalhouse's gang.
(b) Younger Brother keeps a diary of every day with Coalhouse.
(c) Coalhouse writes everything down to be opened after his death.
(d) One of the gang members drops out and goes to the police.
9. Where does Younger Brother go?
(a) Washington state.
10. What does Father propose to do for Coalhouse?
(a) Repair the car and bribe the Fire House to return it.
(b) Pay Coalhouse's employer to increase his salary.
(c) Find Coalhouse a much better job.
(d) Buy Coalhouse a new car.
11. What had Morgan once done for the U.S. government?
(a) Subsidized the military.
(b) Arranged a loan that kept it out of bankruptcy.
(c) Imported gold for the national treasury.
(d) Served as Secretary of the Treasury.
12. How is the funeral described?
(d) Small and intimate.
13. Most people think that it was the work of a group of armed men, but what does the newspaper suggest?
(a) It was the work of one crazed killer.
(b) It was the Fire Chief.
(c) It was someone who mistook the station for a bank.
(d) It was an inside job.
14. As the procession crosses into Brooklyn, what is seen settling on the rails of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(d) Small children.
15. What has The Boy taken to doing now that Sarah is communicative?
(a) Reading to Sarah.
(b) Playing with the baby.
(c) Drawing pictures for Sarah.
(d) Asking Sarah endless questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the ages of Coalhouse's followers?
2. What happened to Ben Reitman in San Diego?
3. Why do the police pay little attention to burglaries at Father's fireworks factory?
4. What finally really captures Morgan's attention in the world?
5. Where does Father and the family go to get away from the tension?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)