|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Father and Mother sometimes travel down the boardwalk in Atlantic City?
(a) They go on rollerskates.
(b) They go on a trolley.
(c) They ride in a horse drawn hansom.
(d) They are pushed in wheeled, wicker chairs.
2. What is the description of the man who led the attack on the fire station?
(a) A stout man wearing a bandana mask.
(b) A man who looked a lot like the Fire Chief.
(c) An unidentified Negro male.
(d) A short man with coal dust on his face.
3. What newsworthy event happens at Matteawan State Prison Farm in the spring?
(a) Harry K. Thaw is given a new trial.
(b) Harry K. thaw is released.
(c) Harry K. Thaw escapes.
(d) Harry K. Thaw is executed.
4. What happens to Sarah as she tries to approach a man she thought was the President?
(a) She is turned away and not allowed to come close.
(b) She is hit in the chest with the butt of a rifle.
(c) She is trampled by the crowd.
(d) Sheis stoned by the crowd.
5. What does Coalhouse Walker, Jr., do to identify himself.
(a) He writes letter to the mayor saying that Father's fireworks factory will be next.
(b) He writes messaged on walls all over town that he wants to kill the Fire Chief.
(c) He spreads a rumor that he is the one the police are looking for.
(d) He leaves letters at newspapers that he wants the Fire Chief turned over to him and his car returned in new condition.
6. What finally really captures Morgan's attention in the world?
(a) The Holy Lands.
(b) Renaissance art and music.
(d) The philosopher's stone.
7. Who captures Mother's interest in Atlantic City?
(a) The fat New Yorkers.
(b) Baron Ashkenazy.
(c) A child who comes to play with the baby.
(d) The family from Philadelphia.
8. What does the family learn about Coalhouse Walker, Jr.?
(a) That he is an opera singer.
(b) That he is an accomplished pianist.
(c) That he has connections to the mob.
(d) That he is not the father of Sarah's baby.
9. When a reporter looks up Houdini to get his reaction to the escape, where is he found?
(a) On his way to Europe.
(b) At his mother's grave.
(c) In the theater.
(d) Escaping from a trunk in the East River.
10. What happens at the Emerald Isle Fire Station?
(a) Coalhouse and Sarah get married.
(b) Coalhouse is not allowed to pass and his car is vandalized.
(c) Young brother goes to apply for a job.
(d) Father provides the bunting for a barbecue.
11. What worries Father after the baseball game?
(a) He thinks he should not have left Mother alone.
(b) He is afraid they have missed the train.
(c) A pickpocket has taken his wallet.
(d) He thinks he sees Coalhouse in the crowd.
12. What does Father propose to do for Coalhouse?
(a) Find Coalhouse a much better job.
(b) Buy Coalhouse a new car.
(c) Pay Coalhouse's employer to increase his salary.
(d) Repair the car and bribe the Fire House to return it.
13. What happened to Ben Reitman in San Diego?
(a) He had been beaten and thrown in the ocean.
(b) He had performed in shakespeare plays.
(c) He had won his first boxing match.
(d) He had been tarred and feathered.
14. Where is Sarah funeral held?
(a) In New Rochelle.
(b) In Harlem.
(c) In the Bronx.
(d) In South Carolina.
15. As the procession crosses into Brooklyn, what is seen settling on the rails of the Brooklyn Bridge?
(a) Small children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Father go to the police?
2. What kind of music does Coalhouse play?
3. What is the result when the newspapers succeed in getting the Model-T raised from the pond?
4. What returns to Father at the sea in Atlantic City?
5. What does Sarah decide to do to help Coalhouse?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)