|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the description of the man who led the attack on the fire station?
(a) An unidentified Negro male.
(b) A man who looked a lot like the Fire Chief.
(c) A stout man wearing a bandana mask.
(d) A short man with coal dust on his face.
2. Where does Father and the family go to get away from the tension?
(a) New York City.
(b) Atlantic City.
3. What has The Boy taken to doing now that Sarah is communicative?
(a) Drawing pictures for Sarah.
(b) Asking Sarah endless questions.
(c) Reading to Sarah.
(d) Playing with the baby.
4. What could The Boy see in the polished rear doors of the Pierce Arrow hearse?
(a) The reflection of the entire street.
(b) The image of a small black girl.
(c) The reflection of the sky.
(d) The large wreath of red roses.
5. What happens to Sarah in the hospital?
(a) She dies.
(b) Sarah losses her memory.
(c) She recovers.
(d) Coalhouse breaks their engagement.
6. What does Mother notice about the change in Sarah's face?
(a) She pities her because she is so plain.
(b) She thinks Sarah's face was getting darker.
(c) She notices Sarah has broken out in a rash.
(d) She is awed by her beauty.
7. What newsworthy event happens at Matteawan State Prison Farm in the spring?
(a) Harry K. Thaw is executed.
(b) Harry K. thaw is released.
(c) Harry K. Thaw is given a new trial.
(d) Harry K. Thaw escapes.
8. What happens to Coalhouse after he comes out of the museum with his hands raised?
(a) He is executed in a volly of gunfire.
(b) He is attacked by Willie Conklin.
(c) He gets away when the generators fail.
(d) He is taken to jail.
9. What does Father propose to do for Coalhouse?
(a) Pay Coalhouse's employer to increase his salary.
(b) Buy Coalhouse a new car.
(c) Find Coalhouse a much better job.
(d) Repair the car and bribe the Fire House to return it.
10. Who were most of the mourners at Sarah's funeral?
(a) Hired mourners.
(b) New York policemen.
(c) Musician friends of Coalhouse.
(d) Father, Mother, Younger Brother, and The Boy.
11. What do the police discover as they go through the wreckage of the demolished building?
(a) Two of the victims had been shot; it was a case of murder.
(b) The fire started when a cook stove blew up.
(c) A fireman had thrown a cigarette into a gas can.
(d) The building exploded because of an earthquake.
12. What happened to Ben Reitman in San Diego?
(a) He had been tarred and feathered.
(b) He had won his first boxing match.
(c) He had performed in shakespeare plays.
(d) He had been beaten and thrown in the ocean.
13. Who in the family understands and admires Coalhouse?
(b) Younger Brother.
(d) The Boy.
14. On the milk train going back to New Rochelle, what does Younger Brother contemplate?
(b) Buying a Model-T.
(c) Getting married.
(d) A new poem.
15. Why does Father go to the police?
(a) To throw them off the trail of Coalhouse.
(b) To find out if the police know where Coalhouse is.
(c) To ask for police protection for his family.
(d) To tell what he knows about Coalhouse Walker, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is a great disappointment to Morgan?
2. Where is Sarah funeral held?
3. What are the ages of Coalhouse's followers?
4. Who does Younger Brother attach himself to in Mexico?
5. What resemblance does Morgan see in Henry Ford?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)