|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the American Woolen Company gives out envelopes with short pay?
(a) The worker all leave to head West.
(b) The welfare office is overrun.
(c) The workers go on strike.
(d) Tateh contemplates suicide.
2. What does Tateh have that finally makes them money?
(a) His new coat and tie.
(b) The flip book he made for The Girl which he sells for $25.
(c) His art supplies.
(d) The Girl's new cloak and hat.
3. Who does Mother call after she and the maid clean up the baby?
(b) The Welfare Department.
(c) A doctor and the police.
(d) Her next door neighbor.
4. What was a popular type of entertainment show in those days?
(a) Color motion pictures.
(b) Classic concerts.
(c) Sing alongs.
(d) Minstrels in black face.
5. What do Mother, The Boy, and Younger Brother do in the winter time?
(a) Take long sleigh rides.
(b) Stay inside by the fireplace.
(c) Clean sidewalks for sick people.
(d) Skate on the New Rochelle pond.
6. How is it possible for them to travel cheaply?
(a) They stop in each town and Tateh does his silhouettes.
(b) They slip into empty cattle cars and hide from the watchmen.
(c) They can change lines at each rail terminus and keep going.
(d) They get a discount because of the girl.
7. What is Little Boy wishing for?
(a) An exciting life like Harry Houdini's.
(b) A new car for his family.
(c) A new bicycle.
(d) To go with Father to the North Pole.
8. What is a theme established in the first two chapters?
9. What does The Boy think happens to people, animals, or objects in a motion picture?
(a) They show what is really inside of themselves.
(b) They continually repeat themselves.
(c) They come alive after everyone leaves the theater.
(d) They leave parts of themselves behind in the shadows.
10. What famous person is in the auto accident in front of Father's house?
(a) J. P. Morgan.
(b) Will Bill Cody.
(c) Evelyn Nesbit.
(d) Harry Houdini.
11. What does Father do with all the family watching?
(a) Shows them an Esquimo dance.
(b) Passes out gifts he brought back from the Arctic.
(c) Reads pages from his journal.
(d) Plays tunes on an ivory cared flute.
12. At the jail called The Tombs, what do the guards invent?
(a) A new type of leg irons they claim to be inescapable.
(b) New handcuffs that cannot be opened without a key.
(c) A jail cell that cannot be opened without a key and a combination.
(d) An escape-proof solitary confinement cell.
13. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
(a) The trial of the century.
(b) The music in Harlem.
(c) Stopping the flow of emigrants into the country.
(d) Better housing for the poor.
14. What worries Tateh as he observes The Girl?
(a) She slouches like a depressed person.
(b) She is maturing and has no mother to guide her.
(c) She has no color from staying inside so long.
(d) She doesn't seem to be growing.
15. In the late 1800s, what seemed to happen in one hundreds?
(a) Songs written; immigrant boats arrived; fires broke out.
(b) Elections held; charity balls held; new newspapers started.
(c) Negores lynched; miners burned alive; children mutilated.
(d) Roads built; farms shut down; factories opened.
Short Answer Questions
1. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
2. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
3. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
4. What does Mother insist on doing with the baby and its mother?
5. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)