|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
(a) An organ grinder with a monkey.
(b) A dirty-faced girl.
(c) A lost puppy.
(d) A sale on shawls.
2. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
(a) He is the most comfortable with a player piano in his cabin.
(b) He takes an Esquimo woman for a bed warmer.
(c) He lives as ruggedly as the Esquimos.
(d) He shares a cabin with Father and Matthew Henson.
3. Where is the train headed?
4. What do Mother, The Boy, and Younger Brother do in the winter time?
(a) Clean sidewalks for sick people.
(b) Take long sleigh rides.
(c) Skate on the New Rochelle pond.
(d) Stay inside by the fireplace.
5. What is Little Boy wishing for?
(a) An exciting life like Harry Houdini's.
(b) To go with Father to the North Pole.
(c) A new car for his family.
(d) A new bicycle.
6. What plea does Shaw's mother want him to make in court but he flatly refuses?
(b) Self defense.
(c) No lo contendre.
7. At the trial, how does Evelyn depict herself at age fifteen?
(a) As a waitress who wanted to be an actress.
(b) As a spoiled rich girl who destroyed men.
(c) Sitting in a velvet swing as a wealthy industrialist ogled her calves.
(d) As a simple minded girl who would do anyrthing for any man.
8. What is Goldman's political stance?
9. Who becomes Evelyn's lover?
(d) Younger Brother.
10. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
(a) Child labor.
(b) Black labor.
(c) Female labor.
(d) Irish labor.
11. What does the arrival of the immigrants symbolize?
(a) That the weather will turn bad.
(b) That there are changes coming for the country.
(c) That a famine is headed for America.
(d) That the world economy is failing.
12. Where does the story of RAGTIME begin?
(a) Manhattan, New York.
(b) Albany, New York.
(c) New Rochelle, New York.
(d) Brooklyn, New York.
13. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
(a) Newark, New Jersey.
(b) New Haven, Connecticutt.
(c) Lawrence, Massachusetts.
(d) Bangor, Maine.
14. Why does The Girl like the strike?
(a) It gets her out of the one room apartment.
(b) She gets to wear her new coat.
(c) She likes the snow.
(d) She gets to meet many people.
15. When Freud visited New York and saw the early motion pictures, what was his thought?
(a) They hurt my eyes.
(b) At least they are silent.
(c) Americans have too much leisure time.
(d) These could be used on my patients.
Short Answer Questions
1. What change is obvious in Younger Brother?
2. What is Evelyn Nesbit doing before her husband's trial?
3. Why does Harry K. Shaw receive special privileges in jail?
4. Who did Houdini meet at a private function thrown by Mr. Stuyvesant Fish?
5. What famous person is in the auto accident in front of Father's house?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)