|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Father notice as the expedition sails out of the harbor?
(a) A rag ship arraving with new immigrants.
(b) A fireworks display in thier honor.
(c) How the temperature is already dropping.
(d) The U.S. Navy escort ship.
2. Is Perry able to locate the exact spot of the North Pole?
(a) No, but there is no doubt he was there.
(b) Yes, because the house of Santa Claus is there.
(c) Yes, because of the red and white pole standing there.
(d) No, because the compass does not function there.
3. After a second trial, what sentence does Harry K. Shaw receive?
(a) Seven years in prison.
(b) Remanded to the Manhattan Hospital for the Criminally Insane.
(c) The electric chair.
(d) Life in prison.
4. What is Goldman's political stance?
5. Who is on the mind of Mother's Younger Brother?
(a) Evelyn Nesbit.
(b) Nora Desmond.
(c) Clara Bow.
(d) Greta Garbo.
6. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
(a) Black labor.
(b) Irish labor.
(c) Child labor.
(d) Female labor.
7. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
(a) Tateh is out of supplies and has no money to buy more.
(b) They are hiding from Evelyn.
(c) The girl is sick.
(d) Evelyn's husband has put out a contract on Tateh.
8. What plea does Shaw's mother want him to make in court but he flatly refuses?
(a) No lo contendre.
(c) Self defense.
9. What change is obvious in Younger Brother?
(a) He has had his photo in the newspapers with Evelyn Nesbit.
(b) He has taken a job in New York City.
(c) He has dyed his hair black.
(d) He has taken to working twelve and fifteen hours a day.
10. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
(a) Tateh decides they must leave the city where he had such bad luck.
(b) Tateh puts new locks on their door.
(c) They move into another tenement.
(d) They find a ship and return to Europe.
11. With whom is Father planning to travel to the North Pole?
(a) Ronald Amundsen.
(b) David Livingstone.
(c) Charles Lindburg.
(d) Admiral Robert Peary.
12. As the strike wears on, what is being done for the children?
(a) They are given extra rations in the soup kitchens.
(b) They are being boarded by wealthy families in other cities.
(c) They are enlisted to march in the picket lines.
(d) They are sent to private schools.
13. Where do Tateh and The Girl go to warm up after spending the night in the train station?
(a) A Philadelphia Department Store.
(b) A small cafe.
(c) A synagogue.
(d) A movie theater.
14. What does Father manufacture?
(a) Flags, patriotic bunting and fireworks.
(b) Pianos and harps.
(c) Nuts and bolts.
(d) Mason jars and Coke bottles.
15. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
(a) An organ grinder with a monkey.
(b) A dirty-faced girl.
(c) A sale on shawls.
(d) A lost puppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
2. What is worrying Mother back in New Rochelle?
3. Why does Father not go to the Pole with Perry?
4. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
5. At the trial, how does Evelyn depict herself at age fifteen?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)