|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Goldman's political stance?
2. Where is the train headed?
3. What does Mother insist on doing with the baby and its mother?
(a) Keeping the baby and filing charges against the mother.
(b) Taking them to a shelter.
(c) Keeping them at her house.
(d) Sending them to the county jail.
4. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The calls of ice venders.
(b) The rattle of streetcars.
(c) The people speaking English.
(d) The sounds of piano lessons.
5. From where does the North Pole expedition set off?
(a) Lake Erie.
(b) New York Harbor.
(c) Boston Harbor.
(d) Bangor, Maine.
6. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
(a) A crazy quilt of races.
(b) A guide to the theaters.
(c) A colored chart of districts.
(d) Better than a train schedule.
7. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
(a) Tateh decides they must leave the city where he had such bad luck.
(b) They find a ship and return to Europe.
(c) Tateh puts new locks on their door.
(d) They move into another tenement.
8. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
(a) Attempting to form unions.
(b) New immagrants working for less money.
(c) Companies going bankrupt.
(d) Catching tuberculosis.
9. What happens when the Young Man hides in Goldman's closet?
(a) He gets caught when Goldman hangs up her coat.
(b) He covers his eyes when Godlman gives Evelyn a massage.
(c) He sees Evelyn naked and loses control.
(d) He faints when he sees Evelyn in the nude.
10. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
(a) Tateh is out of supplies and has no money to buy more.
(b) Evelyn's husband has put out a contract on Tateh.
(c) The girl is sick.
(d) They are hiding from Evelyn.
11. Why is the girl tied by a rope to the old man's wrists?
(a) Because the girl was insane.
(b) Because girls and women were often kidnapped.
(c) Because the girl would dance when the rope was pulled.
(d) Because the old man was bline.
12. Who becomes Evelyn's lover?
(c) Younger Brother.
13. What do most of the 1mmigrants find as they settle in New York?
(a) They still have to struggle to survive.
(b) They cannot locate their relatives.
(c) They have free housing and food.
(d) They find many good paying jobs.
14. What causes the Little Girl to stop working?
(a) She falls and breaks her hand.
(b) She gets tuberculosis.
(c) She is kidnapped by pimps.
(d) She is forced to go to school.
15. What happens when the American Woolen Company gives out envelopes with short pay?
(a) Tateh contemplates suicide.
(b) The workers go on strike.
(c) The welfare office is overrun.
(d) The worker all leave to head West.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mameh finally do to make extra money?
2. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
3. What happens when a woman striker is shot?
4. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
5. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)