|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Houdini meet at a private function thrown by Mr. Stuyvesant Fish?
(a) P. T. Barnum.
(b) Tavinia Warren Thumb.
(c) Theodore Dreiser.
(d) Al Jolson.
2. Seeing the man who has been following her, what does Evelyn think?
(a) That he is a fan who wants her autograph.
(b) That he's a policeman assigned to protect her.
(c) That he's a detective hired by her mother-in-law to follow her.
(d) That he is a deranged man stalking her.
3. What was a popular type of entertainment show in those days?
(a) Minstrels in black face.
(b) Classic concerts.
(c) Color motion pictures.
(d) Sing alongs.
4. What does Mother insist on doing with the baby and its mother?
(a) Keeping the baby and filing charges against the mother.
(b) Sending them to the county jail.
(c) Keeping them at her house.
(d) Taking them to a shelter.
5. What does Father notice as the expedition sails out of the harbor?
(a) A fireworks display in thier honor.
(b) The U.S. Navy escort ship.
(c) A rag ship arraving with new immigrants.
(d) How the temperature is already dropping.
6. What do they do the day before the expedition heads out for the North Pole?
(a) Tear down the igloos they had built on deck.
(b) Spend a day in prayer and fasting.
(c) Climb the bird cliffs to catch birds and collect eggs.
(d) Choose Esquimo women to drive their dog sleds.
7. Who was in the opposite cell of The Tombs as the great escape artist worked his feat?
(a) Theodore Dreiser.
(b) Al Jolson.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) Harry K. Shaw.
8. What worries Tateh as he observes The Girl?
(a) She has no color from staying inside so long.
(b) She slouches like a depressed person.
(c) She doesn't seem to be growing.
(d) She is maturing and has no mother to guide her.
9. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
(a) A lost puppy.
(b) An organ grinder with a monkey.
(c) A sale on shawls.
(d) A dirty-faced girl.
10. After a second trial, what sentence does Harry K. Shaw receive?
(a) Life in prison.
(b) Remanded to the Manhattan Hospital for the Criminally Insane.
(c) The electric chair.
(d) Seven years in prison.
11. What does Father manufacture?
(a) Pianos and harps.
(b) Nuts and bolts.
(c) Flags, patriotic bunting and fireworks.
(d) Mason jars and Coke bottles.
12. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
(a) Irish labor.
(b) Female labor.
(c) Black labor.
(d) Child labor.
13. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
(a) Newark, New Jersey.
(b) Lawrence, Massachusetts.
(c) New Haven, Connecticutt.
(d) Bangor, Maine.
14. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
(a) A bottle of brandy.
(b) A love note from the grocer.
(c) A pamphlet written by Emma Goldman.
(d) A shocking Victorian novel.
15. What causes the Little Girl to stop working?
(a) She is kidnapped by pimps.
(b) She is forced to go to school.
(c) She falls and breaks her hand.
(d) She gets tuberculosis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
2. What does Mother find buried in her garden?
3. Who is on the mind of Mother's Younger Brother?
4. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
5. Who becomes Evelyn's lover?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)