|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mother, The Boy, and Younger Brother do in the winter time?
(a) Clean sidewalks for sick people.
(b) Skate on the New Rochelle pond.
(c) Stay inside by the fireplace.
(d) Take long sleigh rides.
2. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
(a) Jesse James.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) P. T. Barnum.
(d) John Dillinger.
3. What does The Boy see on the ice?
(a) Dogs chasing children on the ice.
(b) Fishing holes cut into the ice.
(c) Old people skating slowly.
(d) Tracks of skate blades that soon are erased.
4. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
(a) Female labor.
(b) Black labor.
(c) Irish labor.
(d) Child labor.
5. What happens when Tateh is beaten by the police and the train The Girl is on starts to move?
(a) He calls down a curse from heaven.
(b) He sits down and starts crying.
(c) He grabs a gun from a militiaman and starts shooting.
(d) He runs and grabs onto the back guardrail of the train.
6. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
(a) A shocking Victorian novel.
(b) A pamphlet written by Emma Goldman.
(c) A bottle of brandy.
(d) A love note from the grocer.
7. What does Houdini do in Germany?
(a) Hang from a flying plane by his teeth.
(b) Learn to pilot a Voisin.
(c) Walk on the wings of a flying plane.
(d) Learn to play the violin.
8. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
(a) Better housing for the poor.
(b) The music in Harlem.
(c) Stopping the flow of emigrants into the country.
(d) The trial of the century.
9. Where does the story of RAGTIME begin?
(a) Brooklyn, New York.
(b) Manhattan, New York.
(c) New Rochelle, New York.
(d) Albany, New York.
10. Who does Mother call after she and the maid clean up the baby?
(b) A doctor and the police.
(c) Her next door neighbor.
(d) The Welfare Department.
11. Who becomes Evelyn's lover?
(a) Younger Brother.
12. What does Father present to commander Perry before he heads out to the North Pole?
(a) A leather bound Bible.
(b) A pair of fur lined boots.
(c) A new music roll for his player piano.
(d) A new American flag made in Father's factory.
13. Where is the train headed?
14. What is Matthew Henson's special knowledge that make him invaluable to Perry?
(a) He can perform surgery.
(b) He has an uncanny sense of direction.
(c) He is an expert chef.
(d) He is good at repairing dog sleds.
15. What do most of the 1mmigrants find as they settle in New York?
(a) They still have to struggle to survive.
(b) They cannot locate their relatives.
(c) They find many good paying jobs.
(d) They have free housing and food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
2. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
3. What is a theme established in the first two chapters?
4. How does Tateh entertain The Girl at home?
5. What does Father manufacture?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)