|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the physical condition of the rich prior to William Howard Taft becoming President?
(a) Generally obese.
(b) Wafer thin.
(c) Healthy and muscular.
(d) Sickly and pale.
2. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
(a) Black labor.
(b) Female labor.
(c) Child labor.
(d) Irish labor.
3. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
(a) The girl is sick.
(b) They are hiding from Evelyn.
(c) Evelyn's husband has put out a contract on Tateh.
(d) Tateh is out of supplies and has no money to buy more.
4. What does Tateh do for the strike organizers?
(a) He writes songs for the strikers to sing.
(b) He carries their luggage.
(c) He makes posters.
(d) He cooks their meals.
5. What does Doctorow suggest Sigmund Freud's revenge on America was?
(a) Sending his European students to America.
(b) Having so many psychiatrists in America.
(c) Turning Carl Jung loose on America.
(d) Destroying sex in America forever.
6. What was a popular type of entertainment show in those days?
(a) Classic concerts.
(b) Sing alongs.
(c) Minstrels in black face.
(d) Color motion pictures.
7. What does Mother insist on doing with the baby and its mother?
(a) Keeping them at her house.
(b) Taking them to a shelter.
(c) Sending them to the county jail.
(d) Keeping the baby and filing charges against the mother.
8. What do they do the day before the expedition heads out for the North Pole?
(a) Tear down the igloos they had built on deck.
(b) Climb the bird cliffs to catch birds and collect eggs.
(c) Choose Esquimo women to drive their dog sleds.
(d) Spend a day in prayer and fasting.
9. With whom is Father planning to travel to the North Pole?
(a) David Livingstone.
(b) Ronald Amundsen.
(c) Admiral Robert Peary.
(d) Charles Lindburg.
10. What does Evelyn receive in her divorce settlement?
(b) Nothing because of her affair with Younger Brother.
(c) One dollar.
11. What is Evelyn Nesbit doing before her husband's trial?
(a) Having an affair with the doorman.
(b) Writing her memoirs.
(c) Shopping for new clothes to wear to her husband's trial.
(d) Rehearsing what she will say on the stand.
12. Who becomes Evelyn's lover?
(d) Younger Brother.
13. From where does the North Pole expedition set off?
(a) Lake Erie.
(b) New York Harbor.
(c) Boston Harbor.
(d) Bangor, Maine.
14. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
(a) Lawrence, Massachusetts.
(b) Bangor, Maine.
(c) New Haven, Connecticutt.
(d) Newark, New Jersey.
15. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
(a) The King of Spain.
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(c) Queen Victoria.
(d) The Archduke Ferdinand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most of the 1mmigrants find as they settle in New York?
2. What happens when a woman striker is shot?
3. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
4. Why does Harry K. Shaw receive special privileges in jail?
5. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)