|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worries Tateh as he observes The Girl?
(a) She doesn't seem to be growing.
(b) She is maturing and has no mother to guide her.
(c) She slouches like a depressed person.
(d) She has no color from staying inside so long.
2. What does Father do with all the family watching?
(a) Reads pages from his journal.
(b) Plays tunes on an ivory cared flute.
(c) Passes out gifts he brought back from the Arctic.
(d) Shows them an Esquimo dance.
3. Where are the immigrants ushered as they enter New York Harbor?
(a) Manhattan Island.
(b) Staten Island.
(c) Long Island.
(d) Ellis Island.
4. What does The Boy think happens to people, animals, or objects in a motion picture?
(a) They continually repeat themselves.
(b) They leave parts of themselves behind in the shadows.
(c) They show what is really inside of themselves.
(d) They come alive after everyone leaves the theater.
5. Why is Houdini brooding while walking the streets of New York?
(a) It is real world adventures that people remember and not his magic tricks.
(b) He wants to become a pilot but no one will teach him.
(c) He cannot come up with any new tricks because he has done them all.
(d) He is thinking about the possibility of his death.
6. What was the physical condition of the rich prior to William Howard Taft becoming President?
(a) Healthy and muscular.
(b) Sickly and pale.
(c) Generally obese.
(d) Wafer thin.
7. What does Father see in his bathroom mirror after he returns?
(a) How much stronger he looked.
(b) The gaunt, bearded face of a homeless man.
(c) How fat he had become eating Esquimo food.
(d) How much young her looked.
8. What has Mother accomplished during Father's absence?
(a) She has cut her hair and started wearing the latest fashions.
(b) She has become a social worker.
(c) She has taken on executive responsibility for the business.
(d) She has opened a music school in the parlor.
9. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The calls of ice venders.
(b) The sounds of piano lessons.
(c) The people speaking English.
(d) The rattle of streetcars.
10. What was a popular type of entertainment show in those days?
(a) Classic concerts.
(b) Minstrels in black face.
(c) Color motion pictures.
(d) Sing alongs.
11. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
(a) The King of Spain.
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(c) The Archduke Ferdinand.
(d) Queen Victoria.
12. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
(a) Catching tuberculosis.
(b) Attempting to form unions.
(c) Companies going bankrupt.
(d) New immagrants working for less money.
13. What famous person is in the auto accident in front of Father's house?
(a) Evelyn Nesbit.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Will Bill Cody.
(d) J. P. Morgan.
14. What does The Boy see on the ice?
(a) Old people skating slowly.
(b) Tracks of skate blades that soon are erased.
(c) Fishing holes cut into the ice.
(d) Dogs chasing children on the ice.
15. Seeing the man who has been following her, what does Evelyn think?
(a) That he is a fan who wants her autograph.
(b) That he is a deranged man stalking her.
(c) That he's a detective hired by her mother-in-law to follow her.
(d) That he's a policeman assigned to protect her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
2. As the strike wears on, what is being done for the children?
3. Why does Harry K. Shaw receive special privileges in jail?
4. With whom is Father planning to travel to the North Pole?
5. Where is the train headed?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)