|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
(a) Tateh decides they must leave the city where he had such bad luck.
(b) Tateh puts new locks on their door.
(c) They find a ship and return to Europe.
(d) They move into another tenement.
2. What does Father see in his bathroom mirror after he returns?
(a) How fat he had become eating Esquimo food.
(b) How much young her looked.
(c) The gaunt, bearded face of a homeless man.
(d) How much stronger he looked.
3. What famous person is in the auto accident in front of Father's house?
(a) J. P. Morgan.
(b) Evelyn Nesbit.
(c) Harry Houdini.
(d) Will Bill Cody.
4. What change is obvious in Younger Brother?
(a) He has dyed his hair black.
(b) He has had his photo in the newspapers with Evelyn Nesbit.
(c) He has taken to working twelve and fifteen hours a day.
(d) He has taken a job in New York City.
5. With whom is Father planning to travel to the North Pole?
(a) David Livingstone.
(b) Charles Lindburg.
(c) Admiral Robert Peary.
(d) Ronald Amundsen.
6. Where are the immigrants ushered as they enter New York Harbor?
(a) Manhattan Island.
(b) Staten Island.
(c) Long Island.
(d) Ellis Island.
7. What do Mother, The Boy, and Younger Brother do in the winter time?
(a) Take long sleigh rides.
(b) Clean sidewalks for sick people.
(c) Stay inside by the fireplace.
(d) Skate on the New Rochelle pond.
8. From where does the North Pole expedition set off?
(a) New York Harbor.
(b) Bangor, Maine.
(c) Boston Harbor.
(d) Lake Erie.
9. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
(a) Black labor.
(b) Irish labor.
(c) Child labor.
(d) Female labor.
10. How has The Boy changed?
(a) He has begun to copy Mother's Younger Brother.
(b) He has lost his interest in science.
(c) He is taller and has lost some of his fat.
(d) He is like a stranger to Father.
11. What is Goldman's political stance?
12. What happens when Tateh is beaten by the police and the train The Girl is on starts to move?
(a) He sits down and starts crying.
(b) He runs and grabs onto the back guardrail of the train.
(c) He calls down a curse from heaven.
(d) He grabs a gun from a militiaman and starts shooting.
13. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
(a) Queen Victoria.
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(c) The King of Spain.
(d) The Archduke Ferdinand.
14. What do most of the 1mmigrants find as they settle in New York?
(a) They find many good paying jobs.
(b) They cannot locate their relatives.
(c) They still have to struggle to survive.
(d) They have free housing and food.
15. Where does the story of RAGTIME begin?
(a) Albany, New York.
(b) Manhattan, New York.
(c) Brooklyn, New York.
(d) New Rochelle, New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
2. What plea does Shaw's mother want him to make in court but he flatly refuses?
3. Who will be speaking at the meeting Evelyn goes to with Tateh and the girl?
4. As the strike wears on, what is being done for the children?
5. What does Father think about when he sees the new immigrants?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)