|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plea does Shaw's mother want him to make in court but he flatly refuses?
(b) Self defense.
(c) No lo contendre.
2. What kind of car is Evelyn being chauffeured in as she goes around in New York?
(a) A Ford Model A.
(b) A black Detroit Electric.
(c) A Packard Limousine.
(d) A REO.
3. What causes the Little Girl to stop working?
(a) She falls and breaks her hand.
(b) She is forced to go to school.
(c) She gets tuberculosis.
(d) She is kidnapped by pimps.
4. What does The Boy think happens to people, animals, or objects in a motion picture?
(a) They show what is really inside of themselves.
(b) They leave parts of themselves behind in the shadows.
(c) They come alive after everyone leaves the theater.
(d) They continually repeat themselves.
5. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
(a) They find a ship and return to Europe.
(b) They move into another tenement.
(c) Tateh puts new locks on their door.
(d) Tateh decides they must leave the city where he had such bad luck.
6. How does Tateh entertain The Girl at home?
(a) He makes silhouette thumb books for her to look at.
(b) He teaches her old Yiddish songs.
(c) He tells her stories of the old country.
(d) He teaches her how to dance.
7. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
(a) He lives as ruggedly as the Esquimos.
(b) He takes an Esquimo woman for a bed warmer.
(c) He shares a cabin with Father and Matthew Henson.
(d) He is the most comfortable with a player piano in his cabin.
8. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
(a) Black labor.
(b) Female labor.
(c) Irish labor.
(d) Child labor.
9. Where does the story of RAGTIME begin?
(a) Albany, New York.
(b) Brooklyn, New York.
(c) New Rochelle, New York.
(d) Manhattan, New York.
10. What is worrying Mother back in New Rochelle?
(a) The roof is leading and there is no one to call a repairman.
(b) She is out of the money that Father left her.
(c) Little Boy is refusing to go to school.
(d) Father is still gone and she hasn't heard from Younger Brother in days.
11. Who does Mother call after she and the maid clean up the baby?
(b) The Welfare Department.
(c) Her next door neighbor.
(d) A doctor and the police.
12. What happens when Tateh is beaten by the police and the train The Girl is on starts to move?
(a) He calls down a curse from heaven.
(b) He runs and grabs onto the back guardrail of the train.
(c) He sits down and starts crying.
(d) He grabs a gun from a militiaman and starts shooting.
13. which immigrants are sent back home?
(a) Thos who cannot read.
(b) Those who are criminals.
(c) Those too old or ill.
(d) Those from Africa.
14. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
(a) P. T. Barnum.
(b) John Dillinger.
(c) Jesse James.
(d) Harry Houdini.
15. To where does Younger Brother ride the streetcar?
(a) To the end of the line.
(b) To Woolworth's.
(c) To the Rialto Theater.
(d) To the community college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the arrival of the immigrants symbolize?
2. As the strike wears on, what is being done for the children?
3. What happens when the American Woolen Company gives out envelopes with short pay?
4. What is Father's great guilt?
5. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)