|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where does Younger Brother ride the streetcar?
(a) To Woolworth's.
(b) To the Rialto Theater.
(c) To the community college.
(d) To the end of the line.
2. What is Matthew Henson's special knowledge that make him invaluable to Perry?
(a) He can perform surgery.
(b) He has an uncanny sense of direction.
(c) He is good at repairing dog sleds.
(d) He is an expert chef.
3. What does Father present to commander Perry before he heads out to the North Pole?
(a) A pair of fur lined boots.
(b) A leather bound Bible.
(c) A new American flag made in Father's factory.
(d) A new music roll for his player piano.
4. What happens when the Young Man hides in Goldman's closet?
(a) He sees Evelyn naked and loses control.
(b) He covers his eyes when Godlman gives Evelyn a massage.
(c) He faints when he sees Evelyn in the nude.
(d) He gets caught when Goldman hangs up her coat.
5. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
(a) Jesse James.
(b) John Dillinger.
(c) Harry Houdini.
(d) P. T. Barnum.
6. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
(a) A shocking Victorian novel.
(b) A love note from the grocer.
(c) A bottle of brandy.
(d) A pamphlet written by Emma Goldman.
7. Why is Houdini brooding while walking the streets of New York?
(a) He cannot come up with any new tricks because he has done them all.
(b) It is real world adventures that people remember and not his magic tricks.
(c) He wants to become a pilot but no one will teach him.
(d) He is thinking about the possibility of his death.
8. What is a theme established in the first two chapters?
9. What has Mother accomplished during Father's absence?
(a) She has opened a music school in the parlor.
(b) She has become a social worker.
(c) She has taken on executive responsibility for the business.
(d) She has cut her hair and started wearing the latest fashions.
10. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
(a) New immagrants working for less money.
(b) Catching tuberculosis.
(c) Attempting to form unions.
(d) Companies going bankrupt.
11. What does Father notice as the expedition sails out of the harbor?
(a) The U.S. Navy escort ship.
(b) A fireworks display in thier honor.
(c) How the temperature is already dropping.
(d) A rag ship arraving with new immigrants.
12. At the trial, how does Evelyn depict herself at age fifteen?
(a) Sitting in a velvet swing as a wealthy industrialist ogled her calves.
(b) As a waitress who wanted to be an actress.
(c) As a simple minded girl who would do anyrthing for any man.
(d) As a spoiled rich girl who destroyed men.
13. Who will be speaking at the meeting Evelyn goes to with Tateh and the girl?
(a) Emma Goldman.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Teddy Roosevelt.
(d) Clara Barton.
14. Where is the train headed?
15. What does Perry do after the flag is set up?
(a) He dances a jig.
(b) He has sex with an Esquimo woman.
(c) He takes photos.
(d) He rolls in the snow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Evelyn go when she doesn't find Tateh and the girl one day?
2. Who does Mother call after she and the maid clean up the baby?
3. What does the author show between the characters of Evelyn and Tateh?
4. What do Mameh, Tateh, and the Little Girl do to make a living?
5. What does Father manufacture?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)