|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seeing the man who has been following her, what does Evelyn think?
(a) That he is a deranged man stalking her.
(b) That he's a detective hired by her mother-in-law to follow her.
(c) That he is a fan who wants her autograph.
(d) That he's a policeman assigned to protect her.
2. At the trial, how does Evelyn depict herself at age fifteen?
(a) Sitting in a velvet swing as a wealthy industrialist ogled her calves.
(b) As a waitress who wanted to be an actress.
(c) As a simple minded girl who would do anyrthing for any man.
(d) As a spoiled rich girl who destroyed men.
3. Is Perry able to locate the exact spot of the North Pole?
(a) No, because the compass does not function there.
(b) Yes, because the house of Santa Claus is there.
(c) No, but there is no doubt he was there.
(d) Yes, because of the red and white pole standing there.
4. At the jail called The Tombs, what do the guards invent?
(a) A jail cell that cannot be opened without a key and a combination.
(b) A new type of leg irons they claim to be inescapable.
(c) An escape-proof solitary confinement cell.
(d) New handcuffs that cannot be opened without a key.
5. With whom is Father planning to travel to the North Pole?
(a) Admiral Robert Peary.
(b) Charles Lindburg.
(c) Ronald Amundsen.
(d) David Livingstone.
6. Where does the story of RAGTIME begin?
(a) Albany, New York.
(b) Manhattan, New York.
(c) New Rochelle, New York.
(d) Brooklyn, New York.
7. What does Mameh finally do to make extra money?
(a) Shoplift from small stores.
(b) Submit to the advances of her employer.
(c) Dance in a burlesque house.
(d) Work as a roommaid in a hotel.
8. What was a popular type of entertainment show in those days?
(a) Color motion pictures.
(b) Classic concerts.
(c) Sing alongs.
(d) Minstrels in black face.
9. What does Mother find buried in her garden?
(a) Younger Brother's love letters.
(b) A treasure chest.
(c) A newborn baby.
(d) A litter of kittens.
10. Where do the police find the mother of the baby?
(a) Inside Mother's rain barrel.
(b) In the cellar of a house in the next block.
(c) In the railway station.
(d) Up in a tree near Mother's house.
11. When Freud visited New York and saw the early motion pictures, what was his thought?
(a) At least they are silent.
(b) Americans have too much leisure time.
(c) These could be used on my patients.
(d) They hurt my eyes.
12. What does Evelyn hope for in her husband's trial?
(a) That her testimony will free him.
(b) That she won't have to testify.
(c) That he will be found guilty and locked up for life.
(d) That he will commit suicide.
13. Who does Mother call after she and the maid clean up the baby?
(b) The Welfare Department.
(c) A doctor and the police.
(d) Her next door neighbor.
14. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The people speaking English.
(b) The calls of ice venders.
(c) The sounds of piano lessons.
(d) The rattle of streetcars.
15. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
(a) A bottle of brandy.
(b) A pamphlet written by Emma Goldman.
(c) A shocking Victorian novel.
(d) A love note from the grocer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stories does Grandfather tell The Boy?
2. Why does The Girl like the strike?
3. Who did Houdini meet at a private function thrown by Mr. Stuyvesant Fish?
4. Who is on the mind of Mother's Younger Brother?
5. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)