|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the train headed?
2. Where does the story of RAGTIME begin?
(a) Albany, New York.
(b) Manhattan, New York.
(c) New Rochelle, New York.
(d) Brooklyn, New York.
3. From where does the North Pole expedition set off?
(a) New York Harbor.
(b) Bangor, Maine.
(c) Boston Harbor.
(d) Lake Erie.
4. Where are the immigrants ushered as they enter New York Harbor?
(a) Manhattan Island.
(b) Staten Island.
(c) Ellis Island.
(d) Long Island.
5. Where do Tateh and The Girl go to warm up after spending the night in the train station?
(a) A Philadelphia Department Store.
(b) A synagogue.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) A small cafe.
6. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
(a) P. T. Barnum.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) John Dillinger.
(d) Jesse James.
7. What was the physical condition of the rich prior to William Howard Taft becoming President?
(a) Healthy and muscular.
(b) Sickly and pale.
(c) Generally obese.
(d) Wafer thin.
8. which immigrants are sent back home?
(a) Those too old or ill.
(b) Those from Africa.
(c) Those who are criminals.
(d) Thos who cannot read.
9. Where do the police find the mother of the baby?
(a) Inside Mother's rain barrel.
(b) In the railway station.
(c) In the cellar of a house in the next block.
(d) Up in a tree near Mother's house.
10. What does Tateh do for the strike organizers?
(a) He carries their luggage.
(b) He cooks their meals.
(c) He writes songs for the strikers to sing.
(d) He makes posters.
11. Who does Mother call after she and the maid clean up the baby?
(a) A doctor and the police.
(c) The Welfare Department.
(d) Her next door neighbor.
12. What do they do the day before the expedition heads out for the North Pole?
(a) Spend a day in prayer and fasting.
(b) Climb the bird cliffs to catch birds and collect eggs.
(c) Tear down the igloos they had built on deck.
(d) Choose Esquimo women to drive their dog sleds.
13. What stories does Grandfather tell The Boy?
(a) Aesop's fables.
(b) Tales from Ovid.
(c) Tales from his youth.
(d) Tales of the Old West.
14. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
(b) Tally marks.
15. What do Mameh, Tateh, and the Little Girl do to make a living?
(a) Take in boarders.
(b) Sing and dance on the streets.
(c) Sell on the streets and sew patches by hand.
(d) Make deliveries on bicycles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
2. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
3. What happens when Tateh is beaten by the police and the train The Girl is on starts to move?
4. What has Mother accomplished during Father's absence?
5. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)