|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is Perry able to locate the exact spot of the North Pole?
(a) No, because the compass does not function there.
(b) No, but there is no doubt he was there.
(c) Yes, because of the red and white pole standing there.
(d) Yes, because the house of Santa Claus is there.
2. What is Little Boy wishing for?
(a) A new car for his family.
(b) An exciting life like Harry Houdini's.
(c) A new bicycle.
(d) To go with Father to the North Pole.
3. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
(a) The Archduke Ferdinand.
(b) Queen Victoria.
(c) The Prince of Wales.
(d) The King of Spain.
4. Who did Houdini meet at a private function thrown by Mr. Stuyvesant Fish?
(a) Theodore Dreiser.
(b) P. T. Barnum.
(c) Al Jolson.
(d) Tavinia Warren Thumb.
5. What does Father think about when he sees the new immigrants?
(a) That they all buy American flags.
(b) That there will be more crime in New York.
(c) That there are too many immigrants coming into the USA.
(d) That there will be new competition for his business.
6. What was the physical condition of the rich prior to William Howard Taft becoming President?
(a) Sickly and pale.
(b) Healthy and muscular.
(c) Wafer thin.
(d) Generally obese.
7. What does Evelyn receive in her divorce settlement?
(a) One dollar.
(d) Nothing because of her affair with Younger Brother.
8. What does Father present to commander Perry before he heads out to the North Pole?
(a) A pair of fur lined boots.
(b) A new American flag made in Father's factory.
(c) A new music roll for his player piano.
(d) A leather bound Bible.
9. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
(a) An organ grinder with a monkey.
(b) A sale on shawls.
(c) A lost puppy.
(d) A dirty-faced girl.
10. What does Mother find buried in her garden?
(a) A treasure chest.
(b) A litter of kittens.
(c) A newborn baby.
(d) Younger Brother's love letters.
11. Where is the train headed?
12. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
(a) Jesse James.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) John Dillinger.
(d) P. T. Barnum.
13. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
(d) Tally marks.
14. What do most of the 1mmigrants find as they settle in New York?
(a) They still have to struggle to survive.
(b) They find many good paying jobs.
(c) They have free housing and food.
(d) They cannot locate their relatives.
15. What does the author show between the characters of Evelyn and Tateh?
(a) That everyone has a great opportunity in New York.
(b) That women have a harder time than men.
(c) That men have more talent than women.
(d) The vast cultural difference between classes at that time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
2. What does Houdini do in Germany?
3. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
4. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
5. What happened often when Freud was around Jung?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)