|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Little Boy wishing for?
(a) To go with Father to the North Pole.
(b) An exciting life like Harry Houdini's.
(c) A new bicycle.
(d) A new car for his family.
2. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
(a) Harry Houdini.
(b) P. T. Barnum.
(c) John Dillinger.
(d) Jesse James.
3. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
(a) Newark, New Jersey.
(b) Lawrence, Massachusetts.
(c) New Haven, Connecticutt.
(d) Bangor, Maine.
4. What is worrying Mother back in New Rochelle?
(a) Father is still gone and she hasn't heard from Younger Brother in days.
(b) She is out of the money that Father left her.
(c) The roof is leading and there is no one to call a repairman.
(d) Little Boy is refusing to go to school.
5. What is a theme established in the first two chapters?
6. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
(a) Better than a train schedule.
(b) A crazy quilt of races.
(c) A colored chart of districts.
(d) A guide to the theaters.
7. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
(a) Attempting to form unions.
(b) New immagrants working for less money.
(c) Catching tuberculosis.
(d) Companies going bankrupt.
8. How does Tateh entertain The Girl at home?
(a) He teaches her how to dance.
(b) He teaches her old Yiddish songs.
(c) He makes silhouette thumb books for her to look at.
(d) He tells her stories of the old country.
9. What does The Boy see on the ice?
(a) Tracks of skate blades that soon are erased.
(b) Fishing holes cut into the ice.
(c) Dogs chasing children on the ice.
(d) Old people skating slowly.
10. What happens when the Young Man hides in Goldman's closet?
(a) He gets caught when Goldman hangs up her coat.
(b) He covers his eyes when Godlman gives Evelyn a massage.
(c) He faints when he sees Evelyn in the nude.
(d) He sees Evelyn naked and loses control.
11. Where does The Boy get some of Tateh's silhouettes?
(a) From a penny store in New Rochelle.
(b) Evelyn Nesbit gives them to him.
(c) At a flea market in New York.
(d) Where Younger Brother had thrown them in the trash.
12. After a second trial, what sentence does Harry K. Shaw receive?
(a) The electric chair.
(b) Seven years in prison.
(c) Remanded to the Manhattan Hospital for the Criminally Insane.
(d) Life in prison.
13. Where do the police find the mother of the baby?
(a) Inside Mother's rain barrel.
(b) In the cellar of a house in the next block.
(c) In the railway station.
(d) Up in a tree near Mother's house.
14. What does Mother find buried in her garden?
(a) Younger Brother's love letters.
(b) A litter of kittens.
(c) A newborn baby.
(d) A treasure chest.
15. What does Perry do after the flag is set up?
(a) He takes photos.
(b) He rolls in the snow.
(c) He has sex with an Esquimo woman.
(d) He dances a jig.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Houdini meet at a private function thrown by Mr. Stuyvesant Fish?
2. What stories does Grandfather tell The Boy?
3. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
4. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
5. What plea does Shaw's mother want him to make in court but he flatly refuses?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)