|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mother call after she and the maid clean up the baby?
(a) The Welfare Department.
(b) A doctor and the police.
(c) Her next door neighbor.
2. What change is obvious in Younger Brother?
(a) He has dyed his hair black.
(b) He has had his photo in the newspapers with Evelyn Nesbit.
(c) He has taken to working twelve and fifteen hours a day.
(d) He has taken a job in New York City.
3. Who was in the opposite cell of The Tombs as the great escape artist worked his feat?
(a) Al Jolson.
(b) Harry K. Shaw.
(c) Theodore Dreiser.
(d) Carl Jung.
4. What is Goldman's political stance?
5. Where are the immigrants ushered as they enter New York Harbor?
(a) Ellis Island.
(b) Long Island.
(c) Manhattan Island.
(d) Staten Island.
6. What does Father notice as the expedition sails out of the harbor?
(a) The U.S. Navy escort ship.
(b) A fireworks display in thier honor.
(c) A rag ship arraving with new immigrants.
(d) How the temperature is already dropping.
7. What does Evelyn receive in her divorce settlement?
(a) One dollar.
(c) Nothing because of her affair with Younger Brother.
8. What happens when the American Woolen Company gives out envelopes with short pay?
(a) The worker all leave to head West.
(b) The welfare office is overrun.
(c) The workers go on strike.
(d) Tateh contemplates suicide.
9. What does Perry do after the flag is set up?
(a) He rolls in the snow.
(b) He has sex with an Esquimo woman.
(c) He dances a jig.
(d) He takes photos.
10. Where does Evelyn go when she doesn't find Tateh and the girl one day?
(a) To a detective to look for them.
(b) To their 2-room flat over a public bath.
(c) Back to her house to cry.
(d) To the police to file a missing person's report.
11. From where does the North Pole expedition set off?
(a) Boston Harbor.
(b) New York Harbor.
(c) Lake Erie.
(d) Bangor, Maine.
12. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
(a) Evelyn's husband has put out a contract on Tateh.
(b) They are hiding from Evelyn.
(c) The girl is sick.
(d) Tateh is out of supplies and has no money to buy more.
13. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
(a) They move into another tenement.
(b) Tateh puts new locks on their door.
(c) They find a ship and return to Europe.
(d) Tateh decides they must leave the city where he had such bad luck.
14. Why does The Girl like the strike?
(a) It gets her out of the one room apartment.
(b) She gets to meet many people.
(c) She likes the snow.
(d) She gets to wear her new coat.
15. What does Mother find buried in her garden?
(a) A litter of kittens.
(b) A newborn baby.
(c) Younger Brother's love letters.
(d) A treasure chest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is worrying Mother back in New Rochelle?
2. What is Father's great guilt?
3. What famous person is in the auto accident in front of Father's house?
4. What does Father think about when he sees the new immigrants?
5. Who did Houdini meet at a private function thrown by Mr. Stuyvesant Fish?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)