|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
(a) Black labor.
(b) Female labor.
(c) Child labor.
(d) Irish labor.
2. Who did Houdini meet at a private function thrown by Mr. Stuyvesant Fish?
(a) Al Jolson.
(b) Tavinia Warren Thumb.
(c) P. T. Barnum.
(d) Theodore Dreiser.
3. What is Goldman's political stance?
4. What does Father see in his bathroom mirror after he returns?
(a) How much young her looked.
(b) How fat he had become eating Esquimo food.
(c) The gaunt, bearded face of a homeless man.
(d) How much stronger he looked.
5. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
(a) Stopping the flow of emigrants into the country.
(b) Better housing for the poor.
(c) The trial of the century.
(d) The music in Harlem.
6. What do they do the day before the expedition heads out for the North Pole?
(a) Choose Esquimo women to drive their dog sleds.
(b) Tear down the igloos they had built on deck.
(c) Climb the bird cliffs to catch birds and collect eggs.
(d) Spend a day in prayer and fasting.
7. How has The Boy changed?
(a) He has lost his interest in science.
(b) He is like a stranger to Father.
(c) He is taller and has lost some of his fat.
(d) He has begun to copy Mother's Younger Brother.
8. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
(a) New Haven, Connecticutt.
(b) Newark, New Jersey.
(c) Bangor, Maine.
(d) Lawrence, Massachusetts.
9. What does Houdini do in Germany?
(a) Learn to play the violin.
(b) Walk on the wings of a flying plane.
(c) Hang from a flying plane by his teeth.
(d) Learn to pilot a Voisin.
10. What does Evelyn hope for in her husband's trial?
(a) That he will be found guilty and locked up for life.
(b) That her testimony will free him.
(c) That he will commit suicide.
(d) That she won't have to testify.
11. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
(a) John Dillinger.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Jesse James.
(d) P. T. Barnum.
12. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The sounds of piano lessons.
(b) The people speaking English.
(c) The rattle of streetcars.
(d) The calls of ice venders.
13. What does Father notice as the expedition sails out of the harbor?
(a) A fireworks display in thier honor.
(b) The U.S. Navy escort ship.
(c) How the temperature is already dropping.
(d) A rag ship arraving with new immigrants.
14. What does Evelyn do with most of her money?
(a) Gives it to Tateh and the Girl.
(b) Hides it under her mattress.
(c) Buys all new clothes.
(d) Donates it anonymously to socialist causes.
15. What was Freud's judgment about America?
(a) He said it was a poor copy of Europe.
(b) He said it had left eruope behind.
(c) He said it was a gigantic mistake.
(d) He said it was ahead of its time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Perry able to locate the exact spot of the North Pole?
2. Where do Tateh and The Girl go to warm up after spending the night in the train station?
3. After a second trial, what sentence does Harry K. Shaw receive?
4. which immigrants are sent back home?
5. What happens when the American Woolen Company gives out envelopes with short pay?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)