Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Father do with all the family watching?
(a) Shows them an Esquimo dance.
(b) Reads pages from his journal.
(c) Passes out gifts he brought back from the Arctic.
(d) Plays tunes on an ivory cared flute.
2. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
(a) Lawrence, Massachusetts.
(b) New Haven, Connecticutt.
(c) Newark, New Jersey.
(d) Bangor, Maine.
3. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
(a) A dirty-faced girl.
(b) An organ grinder with a monkey.
(c) A sale on shawls.
(d) A lost puppy.
4. Who is on the mind of Mother's Younger Brother?
(a) Evelyn Nesbit.
(b) Clara Bow.
(c) Nora Desmond.
(d) Greta Garbo.
5. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The rattle of streetcars.
(b) The sounds of piano lessons.
(c) The people speaking English.
(d) The calls of ice venders.
6. Where do Tateh and The Girl go to warm up after spending the night in the train station?
(a) A Philadelphia Department Store.
(b) A small cafe.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) A synagogue.
7. What does Tateh have that finally makes them money?
(a) The flip book he made for The Girl which he sells for $25.
(b) His new coat and tie.
(c) His art supplies.
(d) The Girl's new cloak and hat.
8. What does Mameh finally do to make extra money?
(a) Dance in a burlesque house.
(b) Shoplift from small stores.
(c) Work as a roommaid in a hotel.
(d) Submit to the advances of her employer.
9. What do Mother, The Boy, and Younger Brother do in the winter time?
(a) Clean sidewalks for sick people.
(b) Skate on the New Rochelle pond.
(c) Stay inside by the fireplace.
(d) Take long sleigh rides.
10. What has Mother accomplished during Father's absence?
(a) She has become a social worker.
(b) She has taken on executive responsibility for the business.
(c) She has cut her hair and started wearing the latest fashions.
(d) She has opened a music school in the parlor.
11. What stories does Grandfather tell The Boy?
(a) Aesop's fables.
(b) Tales from his youth.
(c) Tales from Ovid.
(d) Tales of the Old West.
12. What does Father see in his bathroom mirror after he returns?
(a) How fat he had become eating Esquimo food.
(b) The gaunt, bearded face of a homeless man.
(c) How much stronger he looked.
(d) How much young her looked.
13. Why does Harry K. Shaw receive special privileges in jail?
(a) Because he is a close friend of the mayor.
(b) Because he is the governor of New York.
(c) Because his father bribes the jailers.
(d) Because of his and Everlyn's celebrity.
14. What causes the Little Girl to stop working?
(a) She is forced to go to school.
(b) She falls and breaks her hand.
(c) She gets tuberculosis.
(d) She is kidnapped by pimps.
15. What famous person is in the auto accident in front of Father's house?
(a) J. P. Morgan.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Evelyn Nesbit.
(d) Will Bill Cody.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Matthew Henson's special knowledge that make him invaluable to Perry?
2. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
3. How does Tateh entertain The Girl at home?
4. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
5. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)