|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
(a) Tateh decides they must leave the city where he had such bad luck.
(b) They move into another tenement.
(c) Tateh puts new locks on their door.
(d) They find a ship and return to Europe.
2. How has The Boy changed?
(a) He is taller and has lost some of his fat.
(b) He has lost his interest in science.
(c) He is like a stranger to Father.
(d) He has begun to copy Mother's Younger Brother.
3. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
(a) A shocking Victorian novel.
(b) A love note from the grocer.
(c) A bottle of brandy.
(d) A pamphlet written by Emma Goldman.
4. What plea does Shaw's mother want him to make in court but he flatly refuses?
(c) Self defense.
(d) No lo contendre.
5. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The sounds of piano lessons.
(b) The rattle of streetcars.
(c) The calls of ice venders.
(d) The people speaking English.
6. What happens when Tateh is beaten by the police and the train The Girl is on starts to move?
(a) He sits down and starts crying.
(b) He calls down a curse from heaven.
(c) He runs and grabs onto the back guardrail of the train.
(d) He grabs a gun from a militiaman and starts shooting.
7. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
(a) Stopping the flow of emigrants into the country.
(b) Better housing for the poor.
(c) The trial of the century.
(d) The music in Harlem.
8. When Freud visited New York and saw the early motion pictures, what was his thought?
(a) Americans have too much leisure time.
(b) At least they are silent.
(c) They hurt my eyes.
(d) These could be used on my patients.
9. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
(a) Queen Victoria.
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(c) The King of Spain.
(d) The Archduke Ferdinand.
10. What is a theme established in the first two chapters?
11. Seeing the man who has been following her, what does Evelyn think?
(a) That he is a deranged man stalking her.
(b) That he is a fan who wants her autograph.
(c) That he's a policeman assigned to protect her.
(d) That he's a detective hired by her mother-in-law to follow her.
12. What do Mother, The Boy, and Younger Brother do in the winter time?
(a) Take long sleigh rides.
(b) Stay inside by the fireplace.
(c) Skate on the New Rochelle pond.
(d) Clean sidewalks for sick people.
13. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
(c) Tally marks.
14. What does Father notice as the expedition sails out of the harbor?
(a) A fireworks display in thier honor.
(b) How the temperature is already dropping.
(c) A rag ship arraving with new immigrants.
(d) The U.S. Navy escort ship.
15. What is Little Boy wishing for?
(a) An exciting life like Harry Houdini's.
(b) To go with Father to the North Pole.
(c) A new bicycle.
(d) A new car for his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the trial, how does Evelyn depict herself at age fifteen?
2. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
3. What stories does Grandfather tell The Boy?
4. What happened often when Freud was around Jung?
5. What do they do the day before the expedition heads out for the North Pole?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)