|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the late 1800s, what seemed to happen in one hundreds?
(a) Negores lynched; miners burned alive; children mutilated.
(b) Elections held; charity balls held; new newspapers started.
(c) Roads built; farms shut down; factories opened.
(d) Songs written; immigrant boats arrived; fires broke out.
2. What does the author show between the characters of Evelyn and Tateh?
(a) That everyone has a great opportunity in New York.
(b) That men have more talent than women.
(c) The vast cultural difference between classes at that time.
(d) That women have a harder time than men.
3. Why are Tateh and the girl at home that day?
(a) They are hiding from Evelyn.
(b) Evelyn's husband has put out a contract on Tateh.
(c) Tateh is out of supplies and has no money to buy more.
(d) The girl is sick.
4. What does Houdini do in Germany?
(a) Learn to play the violin.
(b) Hang from a flying plane by his teeth.
(c) Walk on the wings of a flying plane.
(d) Learn to pilot a Voisin.
5. What does Evelyn hope for in her husband's trial?
(a) That she won't have to testify.
(b) That her testimony will free him.
(c) That he will be found guilty and locked up for life.
(d) That he will commit suicide.
6. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
(a) He takes an Esquimo woman for a bed warmer.
(b) He shares a cabin with Father and Matthew Henson.
(c) He lives as ruggedly as the Esquimos.
(d) He is the most comfortable with a player piano in his cabin.
7. Who does Mother call after she and the maid clean up the baby?
(a) The Welfare Department.
(b) A doctor and the police.
(c) Her next door neighbor.
8. What is Goldman's political stance?
9. Where is the train headed?
10. What does Father think about when he sees the new immigrants?
(a) That there are too many immigrants coming into the USA.
(b) That they all buy American flags.
(c) That there will be more crime in New York.
(d) That there will be new competition for his business.
11. What does Mother insist on doing with the baby and its mother?
(a) Keeping the baby and filing charges against the mother.
(b) Keeping them at her house.
(c) Sending them to the county jail.
(d) Taking them to a shelter.
12. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
(d) Tally marks.
13. What do most of the 1mmigrants find as they settle in New York?
(a) They have free housing and food.
(b) They still have to struggle to survive.
(c) They cannot locate their relatives.
(d) They find many good paying jobs.
14. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
(a) A bottle of brandy.
(b) A pamphlet written by Emma Goldman.
(c) A love note from the grocer.
(d) A shocking Victorian novel.
15. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
(a) A colored chart of districts.
(b) Better than a train schedule.
(c) A crazy quilt of races.
(d) A guide to the theaters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a theme established in the first two chapters?
2. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
3. Where does Evelyn go when she doesn't find Tateh and the girl one day?
4. At the jail called The Tombs, what do the guards invent?
5. What is Father's great guilt?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)