|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the late 1800s, what seemed to happen in one hundreds?
(a) Elections held; charity balls held; new newspapers started.
(b) Roads built; farms shut down; factories opened.
(c) Songs written; immigrant boats arrived; fires broke out.
(d) Negores lynched; miners burned alive; children mutilated.
2. What is worrying Mother back in New Rochelle?
(a) Little Boy is refusing to go to school.
(b) She is out of the money that Father left her.
(c) The roof is leading and there is no one to call a repairman.
(d) Father is still gone and she hasn't heard from Younger Brother in days.
3. What is Little Boy wishing for?
(a) A new car for his family.
(b) A new bicycle.
(c) An exciting life like Harry Houdini's.
(d) To go with Father to the North Pole.
4. What do most of the 1mmigrants find as they settle in New York?
(a) They still have to struggle to survive.
(b) They cannot locate their relatives.
(c) They find many good paying jobs.
(d) They have free housing and food.
5. Where is the train headed?
6. Is Perry able to locate the exact spot of the North Pole?
(a) No, because the compass does not function there.
(b) Yes, because the house of Santa Claus is there.
(c) Yes, because of the red and white pole standing there.
(d) No, but there is no doubt he was there.
7. As the strike wears on, what is being done for the children?
(a) They are enlisted to march in the picket lines.
(b) They are being boarded by wealthy families in other cities.
(c) They are sent to private schools.
(d) They are given extra rations in the soup kitchens.
8. What was a popular type of entertainment show in those days?
(a) Color motion pictures.
(b) Classic concerts.
(c) Minstrels in black face.
(d) Sing alongs.
9. What has Mother accomplished during Father's absence?
(a) She has become a social worker.
(b) She has cut her hair and started wearing the latest fashions.
(c) She has taken on executive responsibility for the business.
(d) She has opened a music school in the parlor.
10. What does Father manufacture?
(a) Flags, patriotic bunting and fireworks.
(b) Pianos and harps.
(c) Mason jars and Coke bottles.
(d) Nuts and bolts.
11. What does Father think about when he sees the new immigrants?
(a) That there will be new competition for his business.
(b) That there are too many immigrants coming into the USA.
(c) That they all buy American flags.
(d) That there will be more crime in New York.
12. What is Goldman's political stance?
13. What does Tateh have that finally makes them money?
(a) His new coat and tie.
(b) His art supplies.
(c) The Girl's new cloak and hat.
(d) The flip book he made for The Girl which he sells for $25.
14. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
(a) Stopping the flow of emigrants into the country.
(b) The music in Harlem.
(c) Better housing for the poor.
(d) The trial of the century.
15. which immigrants are sent back home?
(a) Those from Africa.
(b) Those who are criminals.
(c) Those too old or ill.
(d) Thos who cannot read.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a woman striker is shot?
2. From where does the North Pole expedition set off?
3. Why does Father not go to the Pole with Perry?
4. Who will be speaking at the meeting Evelyn goes to with Tateh and the girl?
5. What does Mother insist on doing with the baby and its mother?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)