|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother insist on doing with the baby and its mother?
(a) Sending them to the county jail.
(b) Taking them to a shelter.
(c) Keeping them at her house.
(d) Keeping the baby and filing charges against the mother.
2. What kind of car is Evelyn being chauffeured in as she goes around in New York?
(a) A Ford Model A.
(b) A black Detroit Electric.
(c) A REO.
(d) A Packard Limousine.
3. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
(a) A sale on shawls.
(b) An organ grinder with a monkey.
(c) A lost puppy.
(d) A dirty-faced girl.
4. What is a theme established in the first two chapters?
5. Where does Evelyn go when she doesn't find Tateh and the girl one day?
(a) To the police to file a missing person's report.
(b) To a detective to look for them.
(c) Back to her house to cry.
(d) To their 2-room flat over a public bath.
6. What does Father find on Mother's bedside table?
(a) A love note from the grocer.
(b) A pamphlet written by Emma Goldman.
(c) A shocking Victorian novel.
(d) A bottle of brandy.
7. Where are the immigrants ushered as they enter New York Harbor?
(a) Ellis Island.
(b) Manhattan Island.
(c) Long Island.
(d) Staten Island.
8. How does Tateh entertain The Girl at home?
(a) He tells her stories of the old country.
(b) He teaches her old Yiddish songs.
(c) He teaches her how to dance.
(d) He makes silhouette thumb books for her to look at.
9. Who is on the mind of Mother's Younger Brother?
(a) Greta Garbo.
(b) Clara Bow.
(c) Evelyn Nesbit.
(d) Nora Desmond.
10. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
(a) Better housing for the poor.
(b) The trial of the century.
(c) The music in Harlem.
(d) Stopping the flow of emigrants into the country.
11. Seeing the man who has been following her, what does Evelyn think?
(a) That he's a policeman assigned to protect her.
(b) That he's a detective hired by her mother-in-law to follow her.
(c) That he is a deranged man stalking her.
(d) That he is a fan who wants her autograph.
12. When Freud visited New York and saw the early motion pictures, what was his thought?
(a) They hurt my eyes.
(b) Americans have too much leisure time.
(c) At least they are silent.
(d) These could be used on my patients.
13. Why does Evelyn call the old man Tateh?
(a) Because she met him on Tateh Street.
(b) Because he would not tell her his real name.
(c) Because his clothes looked tattered.
(d) Because he cannot pronounce his Hebrew name.
14. which immigrants are sent back home?
(a) Those too old or ill.
(b) Those who are criminals.
(c) Thos who cannot read.
(d) Those from Africa.
15. What does Evelyn do with most of her money?
(a) Gives it to Tateh and the Girl.
(b) Hides it under her mattress.
(c) Donates it anonymously to socialist causes.
(d) Buys all new clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Houdini do in Germany?
2. What does Father manufacture?
3. What is Goldman's political stance?
4. What happens when Tateh is beaten by the police and the train The Girl is on starts to move?
5. What does Tateh do for the strike organizers?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)