|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mameh finally do to make extra money?
(a) Submit to the advances of her employer.
(b) Dance in a burlesque house.
(c) Shoplift from small stores.
(d) Work as a roommaid in a hotel.
2. What famous person is in the auto accident in front of Father's house?
(a) Will Bill Cody.
(b) Evelyn Nesbit.
(c) J. P. Morgan.
(d) Harry Houdini.
3. What change is obvious in Younger Brother?
(a) He has taken to working twelve and fifteen hours a day.
(b) He has taken a job in New York City.
(c) He has had his photo in the newspapers with Evelyn Nesbit.
(d) He has dyed his hair black.
4. What happened often when Freud was around Jung?
(a) He had fainting fits.
(b) He wanted to throw up.
(c) He laughed uproarously.
(d) He listened intently.
5. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
(a) He lives as ruggedly as the Esquimos.
(b) He takes an Esquimo woman for a bed warmer.
(c) He shares a cabin with Father and Matthew Henson.
(d) He is the most comfortable with a player piano in his cabin.
6. What was the physical condition of the rich prior to William Howard Taft becoming President?
(a) Generally obese.
(b) Wafer thin.
(c) Healthy and muscular.
(d) Sickly and pale.
7. What happens when Tateh is beaten by the police and the train The Girl is on starts to move?
(a) He calls down a curse from heaven.
(b) He sits down and starts crying.
(c) He runs and grabs onto the back guardrail of the train.
(d) He grabs a gun from a militiaman and starts shooting.
8. What does Tateh have that finally makes them money?
(a) His new coat and tie.
(b) The flip book he made for The Girl which he sells for $25.
(c) His art supplies.
(d) The Girl's new cloak and hat.
9. What does Evelyn hope for in her husband's trial?
(a) That her testimony will free him.
(b) That he will be found guilty and locked up for life.
(c) That he will commit suicide.
(d) That she won't have to testify.
10. What happens when a woman striker is shot?
(a) The militia is called away.
(b) Tateh gets elected leader.
(c) The workers attack the police.
(d) The strike leaders are arrested for complicity.
11. What worries Tateh as he observes The Girl?
(a) She slouches like a depressed person.
(b) She doesn't seem to be growing.
(c) She is maturing and has no mother to guide her.
(d) She has no color from staying inside so long.
12. which immigrants are sent back home?
(a) Those too old or ill.
(b) Those who are criminals.
(c) Those from Africa.
(d) Thos who cannot read.
13. At the jail called The Tombs, what do the guards invent?
(a) A jail cell that cannot be opened without a key and a combination.
(b) New handcuffs that cannot be opened without a key.
(c) An escape-proof solitary confinement cell.
(d) A new type of leg irons they claim to be inescapable.
14. What is worrying Mother back in New Rochelle?
(a) Little Boy is refusing to go to school.
(b) She is out of the money that Father left her.
(c) The roof is leading and there is no one to call a repairman.
(d) Father is still gone and she hasn't heard from Younger Brother in days.
15. Seeing the man who has been following her, what does Evelyn think?
(a) That he's a detective hired by her mother-in-law to follow her.
(b) That he is a deranged man stalking her.
(c) That he's a policeman assigned to protect her.
(d) That he is a fan who wants her autograph.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the trial, how does Evelyn depict herself at age fifteen?
2. Why does Father not go to the Pole with Perry?
3. Who will be speaking at the meeting Evelyn goes to with Tateh and the girl?
4. What is Little Boy wishing for?
5. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)