|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is worrying Mother back in New Rochelle?
(a) The roof is leading and there is no one to call a repairman.
(b) Father is still gone and she hasn't heard from Younger Brother in days.
(c) Little Boy is refusing to go to school.
(d) She is out of the money that Father left her.
2. In the late 1800s, what seemed to happen in one hundreds?
(a) Negores lynched; miners burned alive; children mutilated.
(b) Roads built; farms shut down; factories opened.
(c) Songs written; immigrant boats arrived; fires broke out.
(d) Elections held; charity balls held; new newspapers started.
3. Why does Father not go to the Pole with Perry?
(a) Father prefers to remain with the Esquimos.
(b) Perry and Father do not get along well.
(c) Father decides the whole thing is silly.
(d) Parts of Father's body keep on freezing each day.
4. How is it possible for them to travel cheaply?
(a) They can change lines at each rail terminus and keep going.
(b) They stop in each town and Tateh does his silhouettes.
(c) They slip into empty cattle cars and hide from the watchmen.
(d) They get a discount because of the girl.
5. What is Goldman's political stance?
6. What does Tateh do for the strike organizers?
(a) He carries their luggage.
(b) He makes posters.
(c) He writes songs for the strikers to sing.
(d) He cooks their meals.
7. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
(a) The King of Spain.
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(c) The Archduke Ferdinand.
(d) Queen Victoria.
8. What happens when the Young Man hides in Goldman's closet?
(a) He gets caught when Goldman hangs up her coat.
(b) He sees Evelyn naked and loses control.
(c) He covers his eyes when Godlman gives Evelyn a massage.
(d) He faints when he sees Evelyn in the nude.
9. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
(a) New immagrants working for less money.
(b) Attempting to form unions.
(c) Catching tuberculosis.
(d) Companies going bankrupt.
10. How has The Boy changed?
(a) He has begun to copy Mother's Younger Brother.
(b) He has lost his interest in science.
(c) He is taller and has lost some of his fat.
(d) He is like a stranger to Father.
11. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
(a) They move into another tenement.
(b) They find a ship and return to Europe.
(c) Tateh puts new locks on their door.
(d) Tateh decides they must leave the city where he had such bad luck.
12. What is Little Boy wishing for?
(a) To go with Father to the North Pole.
(b) An exciting life like Harry Houdini's.
(c) A new car for his family.
(d) A new bicycle.
13. What causes the Little Girl to stop working?
(a) She falls and breaks her hand.
(b) She gets tuberculosis.
(c) She is forced to go to school.
(d) She is kidnapped by pimps.
14. which immigrants are sent back home?
(a) Those from Africa.
(b) Thos who cannot read.
(c) Those who are criminals.
(d) Those too old or ill.
15. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The people speaking English.
(b) The rattle of streetcars.
(c) The calls of ice venders.
(d) The sounds of piano lessons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Houdini brooding while walking the streets of New York?
2. Where does Evelyn go when she doesn't find Tateh and the girl one day?
3. What change is obvious in Younger Brother?
4. What is Matthew Henson's special knowledge that make him invaluable to Perry?
5. Is Perry able to locate the exact spot of the North Pole?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)