|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
(a) A guide to the theaters.
(b) Better than a train schedule.
(c) A colored chart of districts.
(d) A crazy quilt of races.
2. which immigrants are sent back home?
(a) Those from Africa.
(b) Thos who cannot read.
(c) Those too old or ill.
(d) Those who are criminals.
3. Seeing the man who has been following her, what does Evelyn think?
(a) That he's a policeman assigned to protect her.
(b) That he is a fan who wants her autograph.
(c) That he is a deranged man stalking her.
(d) That he's a detective hired by her mother-in-law to follow her.
4. Who will be speaking at the meeting Evelyn goes to with Tateh and the girl?
(a) Emma Goldman.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Clara Barton.
(d) Teddy Roosevelt.
5. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
(a) He takes an Esquimo woman for a bed warmer.
(b) He shares a cabin with Father and Matthew Henson.
(c) He is the most comfortable with a player piano in his cabin.
(d) He lives as ruggedly as the Esquimos.
6. Where does The Boy get some of Tateh's silhouettes?
(a) From a penny store in New Rochelle.
(b) Where Younger Brother had thrown them in the trash.
(c) Evelyn Nesbit gives them to him.
(d) At a flea market in New York.
7. What does Doctorow suggest Sigmund Freud's revenge on America was?
(a) Destroying sex in America forever.
(b) Sending his European students to America.
(c) Having so many psychiatrists in America.
(d) Turning Carl Jung loose on America.
8. What does Father see in his bathroom mirror after he returns?
(a) How much stronger he looked.
(b) The gaunt, bearded face of a homeless man.
(c) How fat he had become eating Esquimo food.
(d) How much young her looked.
9. What does Father do with all the family watching?
(a) Shows them an Esquimo dance.
(b) Reads pages from his journal.
(c) Passes out gifts he brought back from the Arctic.
(d) Plays tunes on an ivory cared flute.
10. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
(a) The trial of the century.
(b) Stopping the flow of emigrants into the country.
(c) The music in Harlem.
(d) Better housing for the poor.
11. What does Evelyn receive in her divorce settlement?
(a) Nothing because of her affair with Younger Brother.
(b) One dollar.
12. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
(a) P. T. Barnum.
(b) John Dillinger.
(c) Jesse James.
(d) Harry Houdini.
13. Where do the police find the mother of the baby?
(a) Up in a tree near Mother's house.
(b) Inside Mother's rain barrel.
(c) In the cellar of a house in the next block.
(d) In the railway station.
14. What happens when the Young Man hides in Goldman's closet?
(a) He gets caught when Goldman hangs up her coat.
(b) He sees Evelyn naked and loses control.
(c) He faints when he sees Evelyn in the nude.
(d) He covers his eyes when Godlman gives Evelyn a massage.
15. Why is Houdini brooding while walking the streets of New York?
(a) He cannot come up with any new tricks because he has done them all.
(b) He wants to become a pilot but no one will teach him.
(c) It is real world adventures that people remember and not his magic tricks.
(d) He is thinking about the possibility of his death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the girl tied by a rope to the old man's wrists?
2. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
3. What stories does Grandfather tell The Boy?
4. Why does Father not go to the Pole with Perry?
5. Who was in the opposite cell of The Tombs as the great escape artist worked his feat?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)