|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doctorow suggest Sigmund Freud's revenge on America was?
(a) Destroying sex in America forever.
(b) Turning Carl Jung loose on America.
(c) Having so many psychiatrists in America.
(d) Sending his European students to America.
2. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
(a) He is the most comfortable with a player piano in his cabin.
(b) He shares a cabin with Father and Matthew Henson.
(c) He lives as ruggedly as the Esquimos.
(d) He takes an Esquimo woman for a bed warmer.
3. How has The Boy changed?
(a) He is like a stranger to Father.
(b) He has begun to copy Mother's Younger Brother.
(c) He is taller and has lost some of his fat.
(d) He has lost his interest in science.
4. Who did Houdini meet at a private function thrown by Mr. Stuyvesant Fish?
(a) P. T. Barnum.
(b) Tavinia Warren Thumb.
(c) Theodore Dreiser.
(d) Al Jolson.
5. What do they do the day before the expedition heads out for the North Pole?
(a) Choose Esquimo women to drive their dog sleds.
(b) Spend a day in prayer and fasting.
(c) Tear down the igloos they had built on deck.
(d) Climb the bird cliffs to catch birds and collect eggs.
6. What kind of car is Evelyn being chauffeured in as she goes around in New York?
(a) A black Detroit Electric.
(b) A Packard Limousine.
(c) A Ford Model A.
(d) A REO.
7. What stories does Grandfather tell The Boy?
(a) Tales from his youth.
(b) Tales from Ovid.
(c) Aesop's fables.
(d) Tales of the Old West.
8. What has Mother accomplished during Father's absence?
(a) She has cut her hair and started wearing the latest fashions.
(b) She has opened a music school in the parlor.
(c) She has taken on executive responsibility for the business.
(d) She has become a social worker.
9. What does Evelyn receive in her divorce settlement?
(b) Nothing because of her affair with Younger Brother.
(d) One dollar.
10. What is Little Boy wishing for?
(a) A new bicycle.
(b) A new car for his family.
(c) To go with Father to the North Pole.
(d) An exciting life like Harry Houdini's.
11. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The rattle of streetcars.
(b) The sounds of piano lessons.
(c) The people speaking English.
(d) The calls of ice venders.
12. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
(a) New Haven, Connecticutt.
(b) Newark, New Jersey.
(c) Bangor, Maine.
(d) Lawrence, Massachusetts.
13. What happens when a woman striker is shot?
(a) Tateh gets elected leader.
(b) The militia is called away.
(c) The strike leaders are arrested for complicity.
(d) The workers attack the police.
14. Why is Houdini brooding while walking the streets of New York?
(a) He is thinking about the possibility of his death.
(b) He cannot come up with any new tricks because he has done them all.
(c) He wants to become a pilot but no one will teach him.
(d) It is real world adventures that people remember and not his magic tricks.
15. Where are the immigrants ushered as they enter New York Harbor?
(a) Manhattan Island.
(b) Staten Island.
(c) Long Island.
(d) Ellis Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tateh do for the strike organizers?
2. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
3. What does Father present to commander Perry before he heads out to the North Pole?
4. What was Freud's judgment about America?
5. Is Perry able to locate the exact spot of the North Pole?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)