|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the American Woolen Company gives out envelopes with short pay?
(a) The welfare office is overrun.
(b) Tateh contemplates suicide.
(c) The workers go on strike.
(d) The worker all leave to head West.
2. What does Father present to commander Perry before he heads out to the North Pole?
(a) A leather bound Bible.
(b) A new American flag made in Father's factory.
(c) A pair of fur lined boots.
(d) A new music roll for his player piano.
3. What was a popular type of entertainment show in those days?
(a) Color motion pictures.
(b) Minstrels in black face.
(c) Sing alongs.
(d) Classic concerts.
4. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
(a) He takes an Esquimo woman for a bed warmer.
(b) He shares a cabin with Father and Matthew Henson.
(c) He lives as ruggedly as the Esquimos.
(d) He is the most comfortable with a player piano in his cabin.
5. What does Doctorow suggest Sigmund Freud's revenge on America was?
(a) Sending his European students to America.
(b) Having so many psychiatrists in America.
(c) Destroying sex in America forever.
(d) Turning Carl Jung loose on America.
6. What does Evelyn see that causes her to order the driver to stop the car?
(a) A dirty-faced girl.
(b) An organ grinder with a monkey.
(c) A sale on shawls.
(d) A lost puppy.
7. How does Tateh entertain The Girl at home?
(a) He teaches her how to dance.
(b) He tells her stories of the old country.
(c) He teaches her old Yiddish songs.
(d) He makes silhouette thumb books for her to look at.
8. What is Matthew Henson's special knowledge that make him invaluable to Perry?
(a) He is good at repairing dog sleds.
(b) He is an expert chef.
(c) He can perform surgery.
(d) He has an uncanny sense of direction.
9. What does The Boy think happens to people, animals, or objects in a motion picture?
(a) They leave parts of themselves behind in the shadows.
(b) They show what is really inside of themselves.
(c) They continually repeat themselves.
(d) They come alive after everyone leaves the theater.
10. Why is the girl tied by a rope to the old man's wrists?
(a) Because girls and women were often kidnapped.
(b) Because the girl was insane.
(c) Because the girl would dance when the rope was pulled.
(d) Because the old man was bline.
11. What is a theme established in the first two chapters?
12. What does Tateh have that finally makes them money?
(a) His art supplies.
(b) The Girl's new cloak and hat.
(c) His new coat and tie.
(d) The flip book he made for The Girl which he sells for $25.
13. What does Father manufacture?
(a) Mason jars and Coke bottles.
(b) Flags, patriotic bunting and fireworks.
(c) Pianos and harps.
(d) Nuts and bolts.
14. What does Evelyn do with most of her money?
(a) Hides it under her mattress.
(b) Gives it to Tateh and the Girl.
(c) Donates it anonymously to socialist causes.
(d) Buys all new clothes.
15. What happened often when Freud was around Jung?
(a) He laughed uproarously.
(b) He listened intently.
(c) He wanted to throw up.
(d) He had fainting fits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
2. With whom is Father planning to travel to the North Pole?
3. What has Mother accomplished during Father's absence?
4. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
5. Why does Evelyn call the old man Tateh?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)