|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens with Tateh and his little girl after they left the Goldman lecture?
(a) They find a ship and return to Europe.
(b) Tateh decides they must leave the city where he had such bad luck.
(c) They move into another tenement.
(d) Tateh puts new locks on their door.
2. What is Little Boy wishing for?
(a) A new bicycle.
(b) A new car for his family.
(c) An exciting life like Harry Houdini's.
(d) To go with Father to the North Pole.
3. What does Evelyn do with most of her money?
(a) Hides it under her mattress.
(b) Gives it to Tateh and the Girl.
(c) Donates it anonymously to socialist causes.
(d) Buys all new clothes.
4. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
(a) He takes an Esquimo woman for a bed warmer.
(b) He lives as ruggedly as the Esquimos.
(c) He shares a cabin with Father and Matthew Henson.
(d) He is the most comfortable with a player piano in his cabin.
5. Who was the royal person who came to see Houdini fly his plane?
(a) The King of Spain.
(b) Queen Victoria.
(c) The Prince of Wales.
(d) The Archduke Ferdinand.
6. What does Evelyn receive in her divorce settlement?
(a) Nothing because of her affair with Younger Brother.
(b) One dollar.
7. Where is the train headed?
8. Where does the story of RAGTIME begin?
(a) New Rochelle, New York.
(b) Manhattan, New York.
(c) Albany, New York.
(d) Brooklyn, New York.
9. What famous person is in the auto accident in front of Father's house?
(a) J. P. Morgan.
(b) Will Bill Cody.
(c) Evelyn Nesbit.
(d) Harry Houdini.
10. What does Evelyn hope for in her husband's trial?
(a) That he will be found guilty and locked up for life.
(b) That he will commit suicide.
(c) That her testimony will free him.
(d) That she won't have to testify.
11. How is it possible for them to travel cheaply?
(a) They can change lines at each rail terminus and keep going.
(b) They stop in each town and Tateh does his silhouettes.
(c) They slip into empty cattle cars and hide from the watchmen.
(d) They get a discount because of the girl.
12. What does Mameh finally do to make extra money?
(a) Dance in a burlesque house.
(b) Shoplift from small stores.
(c) Work as a roommaid in a hotel.
(d) Submit to the advances of her employer.
13. What does the author show between the characters of Evelyn and Tateh?
(a) The vast cultural difference between classes at that time.
(b) That everyone has a great opportunity in New York.
(c) That men have more talent than women.
(d) That women have a harder time than men.
14. What does Tateh do for the strike organizers?
(a) He makes posters.
(b) He writes songs for the strikers to sing.
(c) He cooks their meals.
(d) He carries their luggage.
15. Who was in the opposite cell of The Tombs as the great escape artist worked his feat?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Al Jolson.
(c) Harry K. Shaw.
(d) Theodore Dreiser.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the immigrants ushered as they enter New York Harbor?
2. Why does Harry K. Shaw receive special privileges in jail?
3. What is Evelyn Nesbit doing before her husband's trial?
4. What does Riis call his colored map of Manhattan?
5. The winter The Boy was skating on the pond, where were Tateh and The Girl?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)