|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 5 and 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The people speaking English.
(b) The rattle of streetcars.
(c) The calls of ice venders.
(d) The sounds of piano lessons.
2. In the late 1800s, what seemed to happen in one hundreds?
(a) Songs written; immigrant boats arrived; fires broke out.
(b) Roads built; farms shut down; factories opened.
(c) Negores lynched; miners burned alive; children mutilated.
(d) Elections held; charity balls held; new newspapers started.
3. What do Mameh, Tateh, and the Little Girl do to make a living?
(a) Take in boarders.
(b) Make deliveries on bicycles.
(c) Sell on the streets and sew patches by hand.
(d) Sing and dance on the streets.
4. With whom is Father planning to travel to the North Pole?
(a) Ronald Amundsen.
(b) Charles Lindburg.
(c) David Livingstone.
(d) Admiral Robert Peary.
5. What do most of the 1mmigrants find as they settle in New York?
(a) They cannot locate their relatives.
(b) They still have to struggle to survive.
(c) They have free housing and food.
(d) They find many good paying jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mameh finally do to make extra money?
2. What is the newspaperman, Jacob Riis, writing about at this time?
3. What was a main reason for men losing their jobs about the turn of the century?
4. Why does Harry K. Shaw receive special privileges in jail?
5. What happened often when Freud was around Jung?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)