|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 5 and 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the jail called The Tombs, what do the guards invent?
(a) A new type of leg irons they claim to be inescapable.
(b) A jail cell that cannot be opened without a key and a combination.
(c) New handcuffs that cannot be opened without a key.
(d) An escape-proof solitary confinement cell.
2. To where does Younger Brother ride the streetcar?
(a) To the Rialto Theater.
(b) To the community college.
(c) To the end of the line.
(d) To Woolworth's.
3. What began to be heard in the ghettos?
(a) The sounds of piano lessons.
(b) The rattle of streetcars.
(c) The people speaking English.
(d) The calls of ice venders.
4. What type of labor was favored in the factories then?
(a) Female labor.
(b) Black labor.
(c) Irish labor.
(d) Child labor.
5. What is a theme established in the first two chapters?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Houdini meet at a private function thrown by Mr. Stuyvesant Fish?
2. What does Mameh finally do to make extra money?
3. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
4. Where are the immigrants ushered as they enter New York Harbor?
5. What was Freud's judgment about America?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)