|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Young Man hides in Goldman's closet?
(a) He gets caught when Goldman hangs up her coat.
(b) He covers his eyes when Godlman gives Evelyn a massage.
(c) He faints when he sees Evelyn in the nude.
(d) He sees Evelyn naked and loses control.
2. At the jail called The Tombs, what do the guards invent?
(a) New handcuffs that cannot be opened without a key.
(b) An escape-proof solitary confinement cell.
(c) A jail cell that cannot be opened without a key and a combination.
(d) A new type of leg irons they claim to be inescapable.
3. What does the arrival of the immigrants symbolize?
(a) That a famine is headed for America.
(b) That there are changes coming for the country.
(c) That the weather will turn bad.
(d) That the world economy is failing.
4. Where does Evelyn go when she doesn't find Tateh and the girl one day?
(a) To the police to file a missing person's report.
(b) Back to her house to cry.
(c) To their 2-room flat over a public bath.
(d) To a detective to look for them.
5. On board the Roosevelt, how does Admiral Perry live?
(a) He takes an Esquimo woman for a bed warmer.
(b) He lives as ruggedly as the Esquimos.
(c) He shares a cabin with Father and Matthew Henson.
(d) He is the most comfortable with a player piano in his cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is worrying Mother back in New Rochelle?
2. What kind of car is Evelyn being chauffeured in as she goes around in New York?
3. What does the author show between the characters of Evelyn and Tateh?
4. Why does Evelyn call the old man Tateh?
5. Why does Father not go to the Pole with Perry?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)