|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Freud's judgment about America?
(a) He said it was ahead of its time.
(b) He said it had left eruope behind.
(c) He said it was a gigantic mistake.
(d) He said it was a poor copy of Europe.
2. What does Mameh finally do to make extra money?
(a) Work as a roommaid in a hotel.
(b) Submit to the advances of her employer.
(c) Dance in a burlesque house.
(d) Shoplift from small stores.
3. In the late 1800s, what seemed to happen in one hundreds?
(a) Negores lynched; miners burned alive; children mutilated.
(b) Elections held; charity balls held; new newspapers started.
(c) Roads built; farms shut down; factories opened.
(d) Songs written; immigrant boats arrived; fires broke out.
4. What famous person is in the auto accident in front of Father's house?
(a) Harry Houdini.
(b) Will Bill Cody.
(c) Evelyn Nesbit.
(d) J. P. Morgan.
5. Who took up the dare to escape from The Tombs?
(a) P. T. Barnum.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) John Dillinger.
(d) Jesse James.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Hebrew letters on storefronts look like to Evelyn?
2. Why is the girl tied by a rope to the old man's wrists?
3. What do they do the day before the expedition heads out for the North Pole?
4. What does Doctorow suggest Sigmund Freud's revenge on America was?
5. What is Matthew Henson's special knowledge that make him invaluable to Perry?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)