Part 1, Chapters 1 and 2
• It is the turn of the century and Father's family lives in a new three-story house in New Rochelle, New York.
• The shooting of Stanford White by Harry K. Shaw is touted as crime of the century.
• Mother's Younger Brother has fallen in love with Evelyn Nesbit, the reason for the White murder.
• Harry Houdini is the sensation of the world as he performs his amazing escapes.
• Houdini's car breaks down in front of the family's house and he is invited in.
• Father is waiting to go on Admiral Perry's expedition to the North Pole.
• The family and some of Father's employees come to the Pier to see Father off.
• Leaving New York Harbor, Father is depressed but practical about seeing a shipload of immigrants coming in.
• Father thinks about the number of American flags the new arrivals will buy from his flag, bunting, and...
This section contains 2,704 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)