Part 1, Chapters 1 and 2
• It is the turn of the century and Father's family lives in a new three-story house in New Rochelle, New York.
• The shooting of Stanford White by Harry K. Shaw is touted as crime of the century.
• Mother's Younger Brother has fallen in love with Evelyn Nesbit, the reason for the White murder.
• Harry Houdini is the sensation of the world as he performs his amazing escapes.
• Houdini's car breaks down in front of the family's house and he is invited in.
• Father is waiting to go on Admiral Perry's expedition to the North Pole.
• The family and some of Father's employees come to the Pier to see Father off.
• Leaving New York Harbor, Father is depressed but practical about seeing a shipload of immigrants coming in.
• Father thinks about the number of American flags the new arrivals will buy from his flag, bunting...
This section contains 2,720 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)