|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not like Roswell in Chapter 16?
2. Who appeared two years later after eloping in front of Bates in Chapter 3?
3. Whom does the store owner decide to talk to while he sends Mark out on a delivery?
4. Where do Dick and Mark talk about their new roles of guardian and child?
5. Who is assigned to teach Mr. Greyson's class in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
2. How does Ben try to help Mark get his twenty-five cents in Chapter 6?
3. How does Mark's life change in Chapter 12?
4. Describe the interaction Mark has with Mother Watson in Chapter 11.
5. Describe Mark's Sunday school experience in Chapter 19.
6. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
7. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
8. Describe Mark's experience sleeping on the ferry.
9. How does Ralph propose that Roswell increase his earnings in Chapter 18?
10. Describe how Dick and Henry react to the sleeping child on the Brooklyn ferry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character that Mark grows to like. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dick. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)