|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing the boy has eaten in Chapter 5?
2. What does Dick tell Henry that he should try to collect from Hiram Bates in Mark the Match Boy?
3. Where does the street boy suggest for Mark to beg in Chapter 6?
4. How much money does Roswell take out of the cash drawer from work?
5. Who is jealous of Richard Hunter for his job in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ben try to help Mark get his twenty-five cents in Chapter 6?
2. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
3. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
4. Describe the interaction Mark has with Mother Watson in Chapter 11.
5. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
6. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
7. How does Ralph propose that Roswell increase his earnings in Chapter 18?
8. Describe how Dick and Henry react to the sleeping child on the Brooklyn ferry.
9. How does Mark's life change in Chapter 12?
10. How is the money that Mark receives parallel to the experience that Dick had?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Morality in society is a prevailing theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Alger frequently refers to this theme, painting the picture of morality being rewarded by success. Which characters appear honest, and which appear corrupt? Explain. Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Alger describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character that Mark grows to like. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)