|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the boy in Chapter 5 of Mark the Match Boy carrying?
2. Who is assigned to teach Mr. Greyson's class in Chapter 19?
3. How much money does Mark save in Chapter 13 of Mark the Match Boy?
4. Whom does Mark tell about his good fortune in Chapter 10?
5. Ralph tells Roswell that he has been nominated to the _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mark faints, what happens to him in Chapter 13?
2. How does Mark find a job in Chapter 15?
3. How is the money that Mark receives parallel to the experience that Dick had?
4. How does Ben try to help Mark get his twenty-five cents in Chapter 6?
5. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
6. Describe Mark's experience sleeping on the ferry.
7. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
8. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
9. How does Dick assist Mark in getting a job and improving his education in Chapter 15?
10. How does Mrs. Flanagan differ in her treatment of Mark from that of Mother Watson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dick. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of good versus evil appears throughout the book. Who in your opinion is good? Who is bad? Why? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)