|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mark sleep in Chapter 9 of Mark the Match Boy?
2. What does Hiram Bates tell Henry about losing in Chapter 1?
3. Who does not like Roswell in Chapter 16?
4. Mark walks in _______________to search for money in Chapter 6.
5. Who approaches Mark while he is talking to his friend in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mark's experience sleeping on the ferry.
2. How is the money that Mark receives parallel to the experience that Dick had?
3. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
4. How does Roswell obtain the money for his new membership in Chapter 21?
5. How does Dick assist Mark in getting a job and improving his education in Chapter 15?
6. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
7. How does Bates assist Henry with investing in Chapter 4 of Mark the Match Boy?
8. When Mark faints, what happens to him in Chapter 13?
9. How does Mark's life change in Chapter 12?
10. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Social etiquette plays an important role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who has "manners," and who does not? What does being of the upper class signify? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does social etiquette in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy signify wealth, status, or other power? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alger's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which characters have secrets, and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)