|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, who suggests that Roswell supplement his income by stealing from his employer?
2. What does Dick talk to Mark about in Chapter 15?
3. Who is the street boy that Mark meets in Chapter 6?
4. Who gets fired by the end of Chapter 23 over the missing money?
5. Mark walks in _______________to search for money in Chapter 6.
Essay Topic 1
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Alger's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)