|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices that five dollars is missing from the cash drawer in Chapter 23?
2. In Chapter 18, who suggests that Roswell supplement his income by stealing from his employer?
3. Whom does Mark tell about his job in Chapter 19?
4. Ralph tells Roswell that he has been nominated to the _______________.
5. Who learns that Dick is Mark's guardian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Roswell. What is his role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? What was Alger trying to accomplish by creating Roswell's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roswell and Travis. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)