Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mark leave his money in Chapter 12?
2. Who learns that Dick is Mark's guardian?
3. Mark faints in front of _______________.
4. Who is working at the bookstore where Mark sees a job posted?
5. Where does Mark retrieve his money from in Chapter 15?
Essay Topic 1
Alger employs simple, yet bold, and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism. Briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Social etiquette plays an important role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who has "manners," and who does not? What does being of the upper class signify? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does social etiquette in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy signify wealth, status, or other power? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)