|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who protects the boys demand in Chapter 11 of Mark the Match Boy?
2. What is Mark afraid of being beaten with in Chapter 6 of Mark the Match Boy?
3. Who approaches and protects the boys in Chapter 11?
4. Whom does Roswell plan to blame if Mr. Baker gets suspicious about the money missing from the cash drawer?
5. Who does Mark wonder about in fear in Chapter 9?
Essay Topic 1
Romance takes on an aggressive quality in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who are the two characters pursuing Lizzie Hexam? Whom does she like and whom does she avoid and why? What do her suitors have in common, and where are they different? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of good versus evil appears throughout the book. Who in your opinion is good? Who is bad? Why? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)