|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets fired by the end of Chapter 23 over the missing money?
2. Whom does Roswell tell about Mark?
3. What place does the boy that Mark meets tell him about in Chapter 6?
4. Who finds Mark dusting books while Roswell is just reading?
5. By taking a wax impression of the ________on the money drawer, a key can be made.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mark's Sunday school experience in Chapter 19.
2. How does Ralph propose that Roswell increase his earnings in Chapter 18?
3. Describe the interaction Mark has with Mother Watson in Chapter 11.
4. How does Bates assist Henry with investing in Chapter 4 of Mark the Match Boy?
5. What does Dick do for Mark in Chapter 14?
6. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
7. What does Roswell's stealing reveal about his character in Chapter 18?
8. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
9. How is the money that Mark receives parallel to the experience that Dick had?
10. How does Ben try to help Mark get his twenty-five cents in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)