|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark use the half dollars for in Chapter 10 of Mark the Match Boy?
2. Where will Bates accompany Henry in Chapter 3?
3. Who notices that five dollars is missing from the cash drawer in Chapter 23?
4. What does Roswell start to do with some of the money from sales at his work in Chapter 18?
5. What does Hiram Bates remember in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dick do for Mark in Chapter 14?
2. How does Mark change his living and work situation with the money he has received from Dick and Henry?
3. How does Ralph propose that Roswell increase his earnings in Chapter 18?
4. Compare and contrast the working habits of Mark and Roswell from the eyes of Mr. Baker.
5. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
6. Why is Bates looking for his grandson?
7. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
8. How does Mark find a job in Chapter 15?
9. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
10. How does Ben try to help Mark get his twenty-five cents in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Roswell and Travis. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)