|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mark meet in Chapter 14 of Mark the Match Boy?
2. Who gets fired by the end of Chapter 23 over the missing money?
3. Where does Mark want to sell matches?
4. What does Dick tell Henry that he should try to collect from Hiram Bates in Mark the Match Boy?
5. Who is the clerk that waits on Dick at the bookstore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
2. How does Bates assist Henry with investing in Chapter 4 of Mark the Match Boy?
3. Why are Dick and Henry sympathetic to Mark?
4. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
5. What does Roswell's stealing reveal about his character in Chapter 18?
6. Compare and contrast the working habits of Mark and Roswell from the eyes of Mr. Baker.
7. How does Mrs. Flanagan differ in her treatment of Mark from that of Mother Watson?
8. What is unique about the five dollar bill that Roswell stole in Chapter 23?
9. How does Ben try to help Mark get his twenty-five cents in Chapter 6?
10. Describe how Dick and Henry react to the sleeping child on the Brooklyn ferry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of good versus evil appears throughout the book. Who in your opinion is good? Who is bad? Why? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Romance takes on an aggressive quality in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who are the two characters pursuing Lizzie Hexam? Whom does she like and whom does she avoid and why? What do her suitors have in common, and where are they different? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)