|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not like Roswell in Chapter 16?
2. Who revives Mark?
3. Where does Mark retrieve his money from in Chapter 15?
4. Whom does Mark meet in Chapter 14 of Mark the Match Boy?
5. What does Dick talk to Mark about in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
2. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
3. Describe the interaction Mark has with Mother Watson in Chapter 11.
4. Describe how Dick and Henry react to the sleeping child on the Brooklyn ferry.
5. How does Ralph connive Roswell into getting him five dollars in Chapter 20?
6. How does Roswell receive punishment for his crime?
7. How does Mark's life change in Chapter 12?
8. What does Roswell's stealing reveal about his character in Chapter 18?
9. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
10. How does Dick assist Mark in getting a job and improving his education in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money has particular significance in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Alger ultimately say about money through the characters of Mark and Dick? What is the importance of this discovery and the characters' roles? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which characters have secrets, and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)