|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mark sleep in Chapter 9 of Mark the Match Boy?
2. Mark faints in front of _______________.
3. What does Hiram Bates tell Henry about losing in Chapter 1?
4. Whom does Mark meet in Chapter 14 of Mark the Match Boy?
5. Who leaves at the demand of the boys' protector in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
2. How does Mark's life change in Chapter 12?
3. How does Bates assist Henry with investing in Chapter 4 of Mark the Match Boy?
4. Describe Mark's Sunday school experience in Chapter 19.
5. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
6. Compare and contrast the working habits of Mark and Roswell from the eyes of Mr. Baker.
7. Why are Dick and Henry sympathetic to Mark?
8. How is the money that Mark receives parallel to the experience that Dick had?
9. How does Ralph propose that Roswell increase his earnings in Chapter 18?
10. How does Mark change his living and work situation with the money he has received from Dick and Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Roswell. What is his role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? What was Alger trying to accomplish by creating Roswell's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Romance takes on an aggressive quality in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who are the two characters pursuing Lizzie Hexam? Whom does she like and whom does she avoid and why? What do her suitors have in common, and where are they different? Discuss.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)