|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After finishing work, where do Ben and Mark go to sleep in Chapter 12 of Mark the Match Boy?
2. Who is Bates looking for in Chapter 3?
3. Who is working at the bookstore where Mark sees a job posted?
4. While the men gamble and drink and party in Chapter 22, what happens to Roswell?
5. Mark walks in _______________to search for money in Chapter 6.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mark's life change in Chapter 12?
2. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
3. How does Mrs. Flanagan differ in her treatment of Mark from that of Mother Watson?
4. What does Roswell's stealing reveal about his character in Chapter 18?
5. What does Dick do for Mark in Chapter 14?
6. How does Ralph propose that Roswell increase his earnings in Chapter 18?
7. When Mark faints, what happens to him in Chapter 13?
8. How is the money that Mark receives parallel to the experience that Dick had?
9. Describe the interaction Mark has with Mother Watson in Chapter 11.
10. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dick. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)