|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hiram Bates staying in Chapter 1?
2. Who is the clerk that waits on Dick at the bookstore?
3. What does Dick talk to Mark about in Chapter 15?
4. What does Mark refuse to do in Chapter 11 of Mark the Match Boy?
5. Who finds Mark dusting books while Roswell is just reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Mark uncomfortable around Roswell in Chapter 16?
2. How does Ralph propose that Roswell increase his earnings in Chapter 18?
3. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
4. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
5. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
6. Why is Bates looking for his grandson?
7. Why are Dick and Henry sympathetic to Mark?
8. Compare and contrast the working habits of Mark and Roswell from the eyes of Mr. Baker.
9. How does Mark change his living and work situation with the money he has received from Dick and Henry?
10. How does Ralph connive Roswell into getting him five dollars in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery is used to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. The imagery can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic elements. The author uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Money has particular significance in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Alger ultimately say about money through the characters of Mark and Dick? What is the importance of this discovery and the characters' roles? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which characters have secrets, and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)