|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mark meet and have breakfast with in Chapter 9?
2. Who is the street boy that Mark meets in Chapter 6?
3. Who is assigned to teach Mr. Greyson's class in Chapter 19?
4. Mark's friend warns him that _______________might be unpleasant to him at his new job.
5. Mark walks in _______________to search for money in Chapter 6.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mark faints, what happens to him in Chapter 13?
2. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
3. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
4. How does Ben try to help Mark get his twenty-five cents in Chapter 6?
5. Describe how Dick and Henry react to the sleeping child on the Brooklyn ferry.
6. Describe Mark's Sunday school experience in Chapter 19.
7. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
8. What does Dick do for Mark in Chapter 14?
9. Why is Bates looking for his grandson?
10. How does Ralph connive Roswell into getting him five dollars in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Morality in society is a prevailing theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Alger frequently refers to this theme, painting the picture of morality being rewarded by success. Which characters appear honest, and which appear corrupt? Explain. Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Alger describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roswell and Travis. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)