|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the street boy that Mark meets in Chapter 6?
2. When Mark wants to return to work, whom does Dick say that he can use as a reference in Chapter 15?
3. What does Dick buy for Mark in Chapter 15?
4. Whom does Mark meet in Chapter 14 of Mark the Match Boy?
5. How much money does Mark save in Chapter 13 of Mark the Match Boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Dick and Henry react to the sleeping child on the Brooklyn ferry.
2. What is unique about the five dollar bill that Roswell stole in Chapter 23?
3. How does Mrs. Flanagan differ in her treatment of Mark from that of Mother Watson?
4. How does Ralph connive Roswell into getting him five dollars in Chapter 20?
5. How does Roswell receive punishment for his crime?
6. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
7. What does Dick do for Mark in Chapter 14?
8. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
9. How does Dick assist Mark in getting a job and improving his education in Chapter 15?
10. What makes Mark uncomfortable around Roswell in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is another important theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions, and social status. Who is greedy in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The concept of good versus evil appears throughout the book. Who in your opinion is good? Who is bad? Why? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)