|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark realize that he does not have to do in Chapter 9?
2. What does Dick tell Henry that he should try to collect from Hiram Bates in Mark the Match Boy?
3. Mark faints in front of _______________.
4. What does Dick talk to Mark about in Chapter 15?
5. What does Dick buy for Mark in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the five dollar bill that Roswell stole in Chapter 23?
2. How does Ben try to help Mark get his twenty-five cents in Chapter 6?
3. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
4. Describe Mark's experience sleeping on the ferry.
5. How does Mark change his living and work situation with the money he has received from Dick and Henry?
6. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
7. Describe Mark's Sunday school experience in Chapter 19.
8. How does Mrs. Flanagan differ in her treatment of Mark from that of Mother Watson?
9. How does Bates assist Henry with investing in Chapter 4 of Mark the Match Boy?
10. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is another important theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions, and social status. Who is greedy in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which characters have secrets, and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
The concept of good versus evil appears throughout the book. Who in your opinion is good? Who is bad? Why? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)