|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices that five dollars is missing from the cash drawer in Chapter 23?
2. What does Mark save money by NOT buying in Chapter 13?
3. Who refuses to feed the boy since he did not bring home enough money in Chapter 5?
4. Who wants to hear the story about Dick becoming Mark's guardian?
5. How much money does Mark save in Chapter 13 of Mark the Match Boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mark find a job in Chapter 15?
2. What does Roswell's stealing reveal about his character in Chapter 18?
3. Why is Bates looking for his grandson?
4. How does Ralph propose that Roswell increase his earnings in Chapter 18?
5. What makes Mark uncomfortable around Roswell in Chapter 16?
6. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
7. When Mark faints, what happens to him in Chapter 13?
8. How does Mark's life change in Chapter 12?
9. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
10. How does Roswell obtain the money for his new membership in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Roswell. What is his role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? What was Alger trying to accomplish by creating Roswell's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Social etiquette plays an important role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who has "manners," and who does not? What does being of the upper class signify? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does social etiquette in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy signify wealth, status, or other power? Discuss.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)