|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mark meet in Chapter 14 of Mark the Match Boy?
2. How much money does Roswell take out of the cash drawer from work?
3. Where will Bates accompany Henry in Chapter 3?
4. Who does Mark wonder about in fear in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mark realize that he does not have to do in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mark faints, what happens to him in Chapter 13?
2. How does Ralph connive Roswell into getting him five dollars in Chapter 20?
3. What does Dick do for Mark in Chapter 14?
4. Describe how Dick and Henry react to the sleeping child on the Brooklyn ferry.
5. How does Mark find a job in Chapter 15?
6. How does Dick assist Mark in getting a job and improving his education in Chapter 15?
7. How does Mrs. Flanagan differ in her treatment of Mark from that of Mother Watson?
8. Why are Dick and Henry sympathetic to Mark?
9. How does Roswell receive punishment for his crime?
10. How does Mark's life change in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Greed is another important theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions, and social status. Who is greedy in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)