|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who learns that Dick is Mark's guardian?
2. In Chapter 18, who suggests that Roswell supplement his income by stealing from his employer?
3. Who approaches Mark while he is talking to his friend in Chapter 10?
4. Who feeds the boy in Chapter 5?
5. Without Mark's knowledge, what does Roswell do with the key?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick assist Mark in getting a job and improving his education in Chapter 15?
2. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
3. How is the money that Mark receives parallel to the experience that Dick had?
4. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
5. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
6. Describe Mark's Sunday school experience in Chapter 19.
7. How does Bates assist Henry with investing in Chapter 4 of Mark the Match Boy?
8. How does Ralph connive Roswell into getting him five dollars in Chapter 20?
9. Why are Dick and Henry sympathetic to Mark?
10. Describe the interaction Mark has with Mother Watson in Chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery is used to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. The imagery can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic elements. The author uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roswell and Travis. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)