|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mark want to sell matches?
2. Who does not like Roswell in Chapter 16?
3. Who rudely rebuffs Mark in Chapter 7 for begging?
4. Who has tea with Mrs. Flanagan before going to look for Mark in Chapter 10?
5. Who does Mark wonder about in fear in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Mark uncomfortable around Roswell in Chapter 16?
2. How does Mark change his living and work situation with the money he has received from Dick and Henry?
3. How does Roswell receive punishment for his crime?
4. Describe how Dick and Henry react to the sleeping child on the Brooklyn ferry.
5. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
6. Describe how Mark feels about begging.
7. How does Roswell obtain the money for his new membership in Chapter 21?
8. Describe Mark's experience sleeping on the ferry.
9. Why are Dick and Henry sympathetic to Mark?
10. How does Mrs. Flanagan differ in her treatment of Mark from that of Mother Watson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery is used to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. The imagery can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic elements. The author uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that Mark grows to like. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)