|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark walks in _______________to search for money in Chapter 6.
2. Whom does Roswell plan to blame if Mr. Baker gets suspicious about the money missing from the cash drawer?
3. Where does Dick work in Chapter 1?
4. Who appeared two years later after eloping in front of Bates in Chapter 3?
5. What is the only thing the boy has eaten in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bates looking for his grandson?
2. What does Dick do for Mark in Chapter 14?
3. Describe how Dick and Henry react to the sleeping child on the Brooklyn ferry.
4. What is unique about the five dollar bill that Roswell stole in Chapter 23?
5. How does Bates assist Henry with investing in Chapter 4 of Mark the Match Boy?
6. What does Roswell's stealing reveal about his character in Chapter 18?
7. How does Mark find a job in Chapter 15?
8. How does Ralph propose that Roswell increase his earnings in Chapter 18?
9. Compare and contrast the working habits of Mark and Roswell from the eyes of Mr. Baker.
10. How does Dick assist Mark in getting a job and improving his education in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Roswell and Travis. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 2
Money has particular significance in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Alger ultimately say about money through the characters of Mark and Dick? What is the importance of this discovery and the characters' roles? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)