|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hiram Bates staying in Chapter 1?
2. Ralph tells Roswell that he has been nominated to the _______________.
3. While the men gamble and drink and party in Chapter 22, what happens to Roswell?
4. How much money does Mark save in Chapter 13 of Mark the Match Boy?
5. Who approaches and protects the boys in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which characters have secrets, and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Alger employs simple, yet bold, and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism. Briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Romance takes on an aggressive quality in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who are the two characters pursuing Lizzie Hexam? Whom does she like and whom does she avoid and why? What do her suitors have in common, and where are they different? Discuss.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)