|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dick's last name that he offers in Chapter 14?
2. Who sent Dick a letter that he reads in Chapter 25?
3. Who are the boot blacks that make notice Dick's new clothes in Chapter 13?
4. In Chapter 20, where is Henry working when he receives a raise?
5. Where does Dick sleep in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick help Tom, the boot-black?
2. How are Henry and Dick closer to achieving their goals by the end of Chapter 27?
3. Describe two changes Dick makes in Chapter 13 and 14 in his lifestyle.
4. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
5. How do the boot blacks react to Dick's new clothes in Chapters 14 and 15?
6. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
7. Compare Frank and Dick.
8. How does Dick help Fosdick and receive help in return?
9. How does Dick assist the police and the young man who was robbed in Chapter 10?
10. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alger's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of good versus evil appears throughout the book. Who in your opinion is good? Who is bad? Why? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)