|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dick and Frank take a ferry to in Chapter 10?
2. Who feels uncomfortable with the Greysons in Chapter 17?
3. Where does Henry accompany Dick on Sunday in Chapter 16?
4. Dick's second customer pays him with _____________.
5. Who searches Dick and Mark in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Dick and Henry want a new place of residence?
2. How does Dick's good habits rub off on Henry, and how does he help Henry in Chapter 18?
3. What does Dick have to change in order to be acceptable in society in Chapter 1?
4. How are Henry and Dick closer to achieving their goals by the end of Chapter 27?
5. How does Dick assist the police and the young man who was robbed in Chapter 10?
6. Describe Dick.
7. What kind of work does Henry get? Describe his work experience in Chapters 19 and 20?
8. How does Dick help Tom, the boot-black?
9. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
10. How does Dick reveal his honesty to Mr. Greyson in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Roswell. What is his role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? What was Alger trying to accomplish by creating Roswell's character in the novel?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)