|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, what happened to a boy's mother that propels Dick to help the boy?
2. Where does Frank live?
3. How does Dick earn money in Chapter 1 of Ragged Dick?
4. What does Frank buy Dick at a clothing store?
5. In Chapter 18, when Dick chases the person throwing rocks at them, what does Dick threaten to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
2. Describe two changes Dick makes in Chapter 13 and 14 in his lifestyle.
3. Why is Dick fired from his job in Chapter 1?
4. How does Dick assist the police and the young man who was robbed in Chapter 10?
5. How does Dick's good samaritan deed land him a job in Chapter 26?
6. How does Dick reveal his honesty to Mr. Greyson in Chapter 15?
7. How does Dick get the money back from the swindler on the ferry in Chapter 11?
8. How does Dick's good habits rub off on Henry, and how does he help Henry in Chapter 18?
9. How is Dick alert to business opportunities?
10. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alger's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of good versus evil appears throughout the book. Who in your opinion is good? Who is bad? Why? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Alger employs simple, yet bold, and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism. Briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)