|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who enters the bank while Dick hides claim is his name in Chapter 22?
2. Who takes a fancy to Dick in Chapter 17?
3. When the thief is caught, how long of a sentence does he receive in Chapter 22?
4. What does Frank want to see in Chapter 9?
5. What is Dick offered in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
2. Describe the letter that Dick writes to his friend Frank with the help of Henry.
3. Describe Dick's early history.
4. Compare Frank and Dick.
5. Describe Dick's reaction to his letter from Frank Whitney.
6. Describe the merchants in New York that Frank and Dick interact with in Chapter 5.
7. How is Dick alert to business opportunities?
8. What does Dick have to change in order to be acceptable in society in Chapter 1?
9. How does Dick get the money back from the swindler on the ferry in Chapter 11?
10. Describe Dick.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Roswell. What is his role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? What was Alger trying to accomplish by creating Roswell's character in the novel?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)