|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away is Frank's residence from Dick's home in Chapter 5?
2. What is the name that Dick asks the young man about while aboard the ferry in Chapter 11?
3. Where does Frank live?
4. What is Dick's salary in Chapter 27?
5. Who throws a rock at Dick and Henry, barely missing them in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Henry and Dick closer to achieving their goals by the end of Chapter 27?
2. Describe Dick's early history.
3. How does Dick prevent Travis from withdrawing his money at the bank?
4. How does Dick help Fosdick and receive help in return?
5. How does Dick assist the police and the young man who was robbed in Chapter 10?
6. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
7. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
8. Describe Dick.
9. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
10. What kind of work does Henry get? Describe his work experience in Chapters 19 and 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Social etiquette plays an important role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who has "manners," and who does not? What does being of the upper class signify? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does social etiquette in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy signify wealth, status, or other power? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)