|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the boot blacks that make notice Dick's new clothes in Chapter 13?
2. What does Henry need to buy in order to get a new job in Chapter 18?
3. What is Dick's last name that he offers in Chapter 14?
4. Who throws a rock at Dick and Henry, barely missing them in Chapter 17?
5. Who feels uncomfortable with the Greysons in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
2. What does Bates do for Mark in Chapter 26 to improve his life and make him feel comfortable?
3. How is Dick alert to business opportunities?
4. What kind of work does Henry get? Describe his work experience in Chapters 19 and 20?
5. How do the boot blacks react to Dick's new clothes in Chapters 14 and 15?
6. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
7. Describe the event that precipitates Dick meeting his old friend Frank again in Chapter 24.
8. Compare and contrast the working habits of Mark and Roswell from the eyes of Mr. Baker.
9. How does Mark's life change in Chapter 12?
10. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
Essay Topic 1
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Money has particular significance in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Alger ultimately say about money through the characters of Mark and Dick? What is the importance of this discovery and the characters' roles? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Social etiquette plays an important role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who has "manners," and who does not? What does being of the upper class signify? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does social etiquette in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy signify wealth, status, or other power? Discuss.
This section contains 1,770 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)