|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the young man that Dick and Frank meet been victimized by in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 20, where is Henry working when he receives a raise?
3. What does the woman traveling along with Dick and Mark accuse the boys of doing in Chapter 9?
4. What does Henry need to buy in order to get a new job in Chapter 18?
5. What do the two boot blacks challenge Dick to in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dick fired from his job in Chapter 1?
2. Describe Dick's early history.
3. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
4. How does Dick reveal his honesty to Mr. Greyson in Chapter 15?
5. How does Dick help Tom, the boot-black?
6. Describe Dick.
7. How does Dick get the money back from the swindler on the ferry in Chapter 11?
8. How is Dick alert to business opportunities?
9. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
10. Describe the merchants in New York that Frank and Dick interact with in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alger employs simple, yet bold, and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism. Briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Roswell. What is his role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? What was Alger trying to accomplish by creating Roswell's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Social etiquette plays an important role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who has "manners," and who does not? What does being of the upper class signify? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does social etiquette in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy signify wealth, status, or other power? Discuss.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)