|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dick invited to visit in a note in Chapter 26?
2. What does the store clerk declare about the money to Dick?
3. What is missing from Dick's drawer in Chapter 21?
4. What is Dick's last name that he offers in Chapter 14?
5. Where does Dick sleep at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of work does Henry get? Describe his work experience in Chapters 19 and 20?
2. How does Dick help Tom, the boot-black?
3. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
4. How are Henry and Dick closer to achieving their goals by the end of Chapter 27?
5. What does the clothing offered by Rockwell signify for Dick in Chapter 26?
6. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
7. How does Dick's good samaritan deed land him a job in Chapter 26?
8. Describe the merchants in New York that Frank and Dick interact with in Chapter 5.
9. Why is Dick fired from his job in Chapter 1?
10. Describe the change that Dick undergoes in Chapter 12.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alger employs simple, yet bold, and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism. Briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Greed is another important theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions, and social status. Who is greedy in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)