|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two boot blacks want to teach Dick a lesson for in Chapter 13?
2. What is the method of transportation that Frank and Dick take in the city in Chapter 9?
3. What did the store owner ultimately do to the store clerk?
4. Who studies for two hours every evening in Chapter 18?
5. What is Dick's last name that he offers in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
2. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
3. How does Roswell implicate Mark with his crime in Chapter 23?
4. How does Dick reveal his honesty to Mr. Greyson in Chapter 15?
5. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
6. How does Ralph propose that Roswell increase his earnings in Chapter 18?
7. How does Bates make amends to Henry in Chapter 3 of Mark the Match Boy?
8. How does Dick try to help Henry in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
9. Describe the merchants in New York that Frank and Dick interact with in Chapter 5.
10. Compare and contrast the working habits of Mark and Roswell from the eyes of Mr. Baker.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Alger's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,733 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)