|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bill did Dick give the store clerk initially?
2. What do the two boot blacks want to teach Dick a lesson for in Chapter 13?
3. Where does Dick accompany Henry in Chapter 26 on an errand for his employer?
4. Who studies for two hours every evening in Chapter 18?
5. On what building's roof do Dick and Frank go in order to have a good view of Wall Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the merchants in New York that Frank and Dick interact with in Chapter 5.
2. How do the boot blacks react to Dick's new clothes in Chapters 14 and 15?
3. How does Dick prevent Travis from withdrawing his money at the bank?
4. How is Dick alert to business opportunities?
5. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
6. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
7. Describe Dick.
8. How does Dick's good samaritan deed land him a job in Chapter 26?
9. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
10. How does Dick reveal his honesty to Mr. Greyson in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is another important theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions, and social status. Who is greedy in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which characters have secrets, and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)