|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who studies for two hours every evening in Chapter 18?
2. Who insists that Dick returns with him to dry off and get new clothes in Chapter 26?
3. How far away is Frank's residence from Dick's home in Chapter 5?
4. Where does Henry accompany Dick on Sunday in Chapter 16?
5. Why does the person Dick buys breakfast for in Chapter 2 hide in the doorway at the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dick alert to business opportunities?
2. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
3. Describe the merchants in New York that Frank and Dick interact with in Chapter 5.
4. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
5. What does the clothing offered by Rockwell signify for Dick in Chapter 26?
6. How does Dick help Fosdick and receive help in return?
7. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
8. How do the boot blacks react to Dick's new clothes in Chapters 14 and 15?
9. How does Dick's good samaritan deed land him a job in Chapter 26?
10. How does Dick help Tom, the boot-black?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Roswell and Travis. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 3
Alger employs simple, yet bold, and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism. Briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)