|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick return in Chapter 15 to Mr. Greyson?
2. Where do Frank and Dick see many clothing stores in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 20, where is Henry working when he receives a raise?
4. What has Dick never done before that Henry offers to help him with in Chapter 25?
5. To whom does Dick show a letter in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
2. What does Dick have to change in order to be acceptable in society in Chapter 1?
3. Describe Dick's early history.
4. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
5. How does Dick reveal his honesty to Mr. Greyson in Chapter 15?
6. What does the clothing offered by Rockwell signify for Dick in Chapter 26?
7. How do the boot blacks react to Dick's new clothes in Chapters 14 and 15?
8. What kind of work does Henry get? Describe his work experience in Chapters 19 and 20?
9. How does Dick help Tom, the boot-black?
10. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings, even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)