|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Frank live?
2. Who is Dick's landlady in Chapter 16?
3. Whom does Dick tell about what happened to the store clerk in Chapter 3?
4. Who throws a rock at Dick and Henry, barely missing them in Chapter 17?
5. Where do Dick and Henry walk before Sunday school in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dick have to change in order to be acceptable in society in Chapter 1?
2. Describe Dick.
3. What does the clothing offered by Rockwell signify for Dick in Chapter 26?
4. How does Dick prevent Travis from withdrawing his money at the bank?
5. Describe two changes Dick makes in Chapter 13 and 14 in his lifestyle.
6. How do the boot blacks react to Dick's new clothes in Chapters 14 and 15?
7. How does Dick reveal his honesty to Mr. Greyson in Chapter 15?
8. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
9. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
10. Describe Dick's early history.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Morality in society is a prevailing theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Alger frequently refers to this theme, painting the picture of morality being rewarded by success. Which characters appear honest, and which appear corrupt? Explain. Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Alger describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which characters have secrets, and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)