|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, where is Henry working when he receives a raise?
2. Where does Dick point out the sights to Frank in Chapter 6?
3. What do Dick and Fosdick buy together in Chapter 16?
4. What do the two boot blacks want to teach Dick a lesson for in Chapter 13?
5. How much does Dick pay to rent a room per week in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Frank and Dick.
2. Describe the letter that Dick writes to his friend Frank with the help of Henry.
3. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
4. How are Henry and Dick closer to achieving their goals by the end of Chapter 27?
5. Why do Dick and Henry want a new place of residence?
6. How does Dick get the money back from the swindler on the ferry in Chapter 11?
7. What does the clothing offered by Rockwell signify for Dick in Chapter 26?
8. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
9. How does Dick's good samaritan deed land him a job in Chapter 26?
10. Describe Dick's early history.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is another important theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions, and social status. Who is greedy in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roswell and Travis. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)