|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What picks up Dick and the person who fell off the ferry in Chapter 26?
2. Who are the boot blacks that make notice Dick's new clothes in Chapter 13?
3. Who recognizes Dick at the bank in Chapter 22?
4. What will the boot black give Dick in return for lodging?
5. What is the name of the boot black that Dick helps with rent in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick's good habits rub off on Henry, and how does he help Henry in Chapter 18?
2. How does Dick help Tom, the boot-black?
3. Describe two changes Dick makes in Chapter 13 and 14 in his lifestyle.
4. How does Dick help Fosdick and receive help in return?
5. How does Dick get the money back from the swindler on the ferry in Chapter 11?
6. How does Dick's good samaritan deed land him a job in Chapter 26?
7. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
8. Why is Dick fired from his job in Chapter 1?
9. Why do Dick and Henry want a new place of residence?
10. How does Dick prevent Travis from withdrawing his money at the bank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Morality in society is a prevailing theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Alger frequently refers to this theme, painting the picture of morality being rewarded by success. Which characters appear honest, and which appear corrupt? Explain. Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Alger describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roswell and Travis. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)