|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two boot blacks want to teach Dick a lesson for in Chapter 13?
2. What do Dick and Fosdick buy together in Chapter 16?
3. Who returns to the store with Dick?
4. What is the name of the boot black that Dick helps with rent in Chapter 24?
5. What is Dick unable to read at the church in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick help Fosdick and receive help in return?
2. How is Dick alert to business opportunities?
3. What kind of work does Henry get? Describe his work experience in Chapters 19 and 20?
4. Compare Frank and Dick.
5. How does Dick's good habits rub off on Henry, and how does he help Henry in Chapter 18?
6. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
7. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
8. How does Dick's good samaritan deed land him a job in Chapter 26?
9. Why do Dick and Henry want a new place of residence?
10. Describe Dick's reaction to his letter from Frank Whitney.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alger's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Alger employs simple, yet bold, and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism. Briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)