|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the ferry reaches its destination, what does the young man give Dick in Chapter 11?
2. What is the name that Dick asks the young man about while aboard the ferry in Chapter 11?
3. What is Frank not impressed with in Chapter 10?
4. In Chapter 18, when Dick chases the person throwing rocks at them, what does Dick threaten to do?
5. Where does Dick sleep at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
2. Describe the letter that Dick writes to his friend Frank with the help of Henry.
3. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
4. Describe the merchants in New York that Frank and Dick interact with in Chapter 5.
5. How are Henry and Dick closer to achieving their goals by the end of Chapter 27?
6. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
7. What kind of work does Henry get? Describe his work experience in Chapters 19 and 20?
8. Why is Dick fired from his job in Chapter 1?
9. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
10. How does Dick prevent Travis from withdrawing his money at the bank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character that Mark grows to like. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Roswell. What is his role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? What was Alger trying to accomplish by creating Roswell's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)