|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the store owner ultimately do to the store clerk?
2. What does Dick report at the bank in Chapter 22?
3. Where do Dick and Henry walk before Sunday school in Chapter 17?
4. Where does Dick accompany Henry in Chapter 26 on an errand for his employer?
5. To whom does Dick show a letter in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the event that precipitates Dick meeting his old friend Frank again in Chapter 24.
2. Describe the interaction Mark has with Mother Watson in Chapter 11.
3. What does Bates do for Mark in Chapter 26 to improve his life and make him feel comfortable?
4. What does Roswell's stealing reveal about his character in Chapter 18?
5. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
6. Describe how Dick and Henry react to the sleeping child on the Brooklyn ferry.
7. How does Mrs. Flanagan differ in her treatment of Mark from that of Mother Watson?
8. When Mark faints, what happens to him in Chapter 13?
9. Compare Frank and Dick.
10. Describe the letter that Dick writes to his friend Frank with the help of Henry.
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character that Mark grows to like. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Roswell. What is his role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? What was Alger trying to accomplish by creating Roswell's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Romance takes on an aggressive quality in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who are the two characters pursuing Lizzie Hexam? Whom does she like and whom does she avoid and why? What do her suitors have in common, and where are they different? Discuss.
This section contains 1,802 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)