|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dick point out the sights to Frank in Chapter 6?
2. What is Dick's last name that he offers in Chapter 14?
3. What does the store clerk declare about the money to Dick?
4. What do the two boot blacks want to teach Dick a lesson for in Chapter 13?
5. Where does Dick accompany Henry in Chapter 26 on an errand for his employer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe two changes Dick makes in Chapter 13 and 14 in his lifestyle.
2. Describe Dick.
3. How does Dick assist the police and the young man who was robbed in Chapter 10?
4. Describe Dick and Mickey Maguire's confrontation in Chapter 17 and 18.
5. Why do Dick and Henry want a new place of residence?
6. How do the boot blacks react to Dick's new clothes in Chapters 14 and 15?
7. How are Henry and Dick closer to achieving their goals by the end of Chapter 27?
8. How does Dick help Tom, the boot-black?
9. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
10. How is Dick alert to business opportunities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dick. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roswell and Travis. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)