|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the clerk do with the bills?
2. What does the servant bring Dick to wear in Chapter 26?
3. Where does Dick sleep in Chapter 7?
4. What will the boot black give Dick in return for lodging?
5. Where does Frank return to in Chapter 10 with Dick because he is tired?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
2. Describe the letter that Dick writes to his friend Frank with the help of Henry.
3. How does Dick prevent Travis from withdrawing his money at the bank?
4. Describe Dick's reaction to his letter from Frank Whitney.
5. Describe two changes Dick makes in Chapter 13 and 14 in his lifestyle.
6. Describe Dick's early history.
7. Compare Frank and Dick.
8. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
9. Describe the change that Dick undergoes in Chapter 12.
10. How is Dick alert to business opportunities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Roswell. What is his role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? What was Alger trying to accomplish by creating Roswell's character in the novel?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)