Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the boot blacks that make notice Dick's new clothes in Chapter 13?
2. What does Henry need to buy in order to get a new job in Chapter 18?
3. What is Dick's last name that he offers in Chapter 14?
4. Who throws a rock at Dick and Henry, barely missing them in Chapter 17?
5. Who feels uncomfortable with the Greysons in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
2. What does Bates do for Mark in Chapter 26 to improve his life and make him feel comfortable?
3. How is Dick alert to business opportunities?
4. What kind of work does Henry get? Describe his work experience in Chapters 19 and 20?
5. How do the boot blacks react to Dick's new clothes in Chapters 14 and 15?
6. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
7. Describe the event that precipitates Dick meeting his old friend Frank again in Chapter 24.
8. Compare and contrast the working habits of Mark and Roswell from the eyes of Mr. Baker.
9. How does Mark's life change in Chapter 12?
10. Describe the incident on the horse car with Frank and Dick in Chapter 9.
Essay Topic 1
Social etiquette plays an important role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who has "manners," and who does not? What does being of the upper class signify? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does social etiquette in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy signify wealth, status, or other power? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is another important theme of Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions, and social status. Who is greedy in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)