|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name that Dick asks the young man about while aboard the ferry in Chapter 11?
2. What does Frank want to see in Chapter 9?
3. Who has the young man that Dick and Frank meet been victimized by in Chapter 10?
4. What is the name of the boot black that Dick helps with rent in Chapter 24?
5. What does Dick wear to work in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick get the money back from the swindler on the ferry in Chapter 11?
2. How do the boot blacks react to Dick's new clothes in Chapters 14 and 15?
3. How does Dick help Fosdick and receive help in return?
4. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
5. Why do Dick and Henry want a new place of residence?
6. Describe the change that Dick undergoes in Chapter 12.
7. Describe two changes Dick makes in Chapter 13 and 14 in his lifestyle.
8. How does Dick prevent Travis from withdrawing his money at the bank?
9. Describe Dick.
10. How does Dick's good samaritan deed land him a job in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alger employs simple, yet bold, and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism. Briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Roswell. What is his role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? What was Alger trying to accomplish by creating Roswell's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)