|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick's neighbor say he is missing in Chapter 22?
2. What does Henry need to buy in order to get a new job in Chapter 18?
3. Dick's second customer pays him with _____________.
4. How old was Dick when his mother died?
5. Who searches Dick and Mark in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the boys work together as a team to improve their lives by the end of Chapter 20?
2. Describe Dick's early history.
3. Describe two changes Dick makes in Chapter 13 and 14 in his lifestyle.
4. Describe the change that Dick undergoes in Chapter 12.
5. How does Dick's good habits rub off on Henry, and how does he help Henry in Chapter 18?
6. How does Dick's good samaritan deed land him a job in Chapter 26?
7. How does Frank attempt to help Dick improve his social status and quality of life in Chapters 5-8?
8. Compare Frank and Dick.
9. How does Dick help Tom, the boot-black?
10. Describe the letter that Dick writes to his friend Frank with the help of Henry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Social etiquette plays an important role in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy. Who has "manners," and who does not? What does being of the upper class signify? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does social etiquette in Ragged Dick and Mark the Match Boy signify wealth, status, or other power? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Mark and Dick are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Mark had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Dick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)