|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, when Dick chases the person throwing rocks at them, what does Dick threaten to do?
(a) Complain to Greyson.
(b) Break his bones.
(c) Hurt him.
(d) Steal the rocks.
2. Where does Henry accompany Dick on Sunday in Chapter 16?
(a) To the St. Louis train station.
(b) To Greyson's class.
(c) To the New York City railroad terminal.
(d) To the ferry.
3. Who throws a rock at Dick and Henry, barely missing them in Chapter 17?
4. Who returns to the store with Dick?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A gentleman.
(c) An angry customer.
(d) A lawyer.
5. Why does the person Dick buys breakfast for in Chapter 2 hide in the doorway at the restaurant?
(a) To be more attractive.
(b) To avoid a man.
(c) To not pay his bill.
(d) To not pay her bill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the store owner ultimately do to the store clerk?
2. What is Dick offered in Chapter 27?
3. Where does Dick sleep at the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. What is missing from Dick's drawer in Chapter 21?
5. What kind of bill did Dick give the store clerk initially?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dick have to change in order to be acceptable in society in Chapter 1?
2. How do the boot blacks react to Dick's new clothes in Chapters 14 and 15?
3. Describe the merchants in New York that Frank and Dick interact with in Chapter 5.
4. Describe Dick's early history.
5. Describe Dick's reaction to his letter from Frank Whitney.
6. How are Henry and Dick closer to achieving their goals by the end of Chapter 27?
7. How does Dick get the money back from the swindler on the ferry in Chapter 11?
8. How does Dick help Tom, the boot-black?
9. How does Dick help Fosdick and receive help in return?
10. What does the clothing offered by Rockwell signify for Dick in Chapter 26?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)