|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mark insists that he did not take the money, what does Roswell say about Mark?
(a) He is a compulsive thief and should be locked up.
(b) He is telling the truth since Roswell took it.
(c) He was alone in the store for a few minutes.
(d) He is a liar and he saw Mark take the money.
2. Where does Mark recognize Roswell from in Chapter 16?
(a) Warden retreat.
(b) Fulton Market.
(c) Morning tower.
(d) Children's orphanage.
3. What does Bates offer to do for Henry in Chapter 3?
(a) Settle his debts.
(b) Do his homework.
(c) Handle investments.
(d) Call his lawyer.
4. Where is Hiram Bates in Chapter 1 of Mark the Match Boy?
(b) New York.
5. What does the store owner decide to do with Mark after he has talked to both him and Roswell?
(a) Fire him.
(b) Question him further.
(c) Keep him employed.
(d) Lock him up.
6. Who works for Richard Hunter in Chapter 13?
(a) Ida Tarbell.
(b) Mrs. Crawford.
(c) Roswell Cooper.
(d) Mickey Maguire.
7. When Mark leaves, who arrives to the store angry about a five-dollar bill?
(a) Dick Hunter.
(b) A member of the club.
(c) A gardener from the company.
(d) Chrissy Marks.
8. Where does Mark want to sell matches?
(a) Pearl Street.
(b) Cliff Street.
(c) Living Street.
(d) Main Street.
9. What does Roswell try to convince his mother that he needs in order to get money for his new club?
(a) A briefcase.
(b) A hat.
(c) A shirt.
10. Mark's friend warns him that _______________might be unpleasant to him at his new job.
11. What place does the boy that Mark meets tell him about in Chapter 6?
(a) Roswell residence.
(b) Astor House.
(c) Newsboy Lodge.
(d) Old Bowery.
12. Who notices that five dollars is missing from the cash drawer in Chapter 23?
(a) Mr. Baker. Mr. Greyson.
(b) Mr. Clinton.
(c) Mr. Baker.
(d) Mr. Smith.
13. When Mark wants to return to work, whom does Dick say that he can use as a reference in Chapter 15?
14. What does the person who protects the boys demand in Chapter 11 of Mark the Match Boy?
(a) Mr. Greyson quit teaching.
(b) Mrs. Watson leave them alone.
(c) Mr. Hunter accompany him.
(d) Mrs. Crawford resign.
15. Where does the street boy suggest for Mark to beg in Chapter 6?
(a) Cliff Street.
(b) Main Street.
(c) Fulton Market.
(d) Corner Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Roswell plan to blame if Mr. Baker gets suspicious about the money missing from the cash drawer?
2. Who refuses to feed the boy since he did not bring home enough money in Chapter 5?
3. What does Roswell start to do with some of the money from sales at his work in Chapter 18?
4. Who eloped with John Talbot, Bates' clerk, in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 18, who suggests that Roswell supplement his income by stealing from his employer?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)