* Dick is awakened by a man.
* He earns his own money giving shoe shines since his guardian, he says, doesn't give him money.
* He tells the porter that he doesn't steal.
* The boy had slept in a wooden box with straw in it.
* He begins his day of shining shoes.
* His first customer is Mr. Greyson. Dick, who doesn't have change for a quarter, promises to leave the change at the man's office.
* In Chapter 2, Dick has three other customers in the next hour.
* He goes to a nearby restaurant for breakfast.
* Dick buys breakfast for a hungry boot-black named Johnny Nolan.
* When they leave the restaurant, Johnny hides in a doorway to avoid a man who is walking by.
* When Dick asks why, Johnny explains that the man had secured a place for him at a farm.
* Johnny didn't like having to get...
This section contains 4,539 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)