Ragged Dick, Chapters 1-4
• Dick is awakened by a man.
• He earns his own money giving shoe shines since his guardian, he says, doesn't give him money.
• He tells the porter that he doesn't steal.
• The boy had slept in a wooden box with straw in it.
• He begins his day of shining shoes.
• His first customer is Mr. Greyson. Dick, who doesn't have change for a quarter, promises to leave the change at the man's office.
• In Chapter 2, Dick has three other customers in the next hour.
• He goes to a nearby restaurant for breakfast.
• Dick buys breakfast for a hungry boot-black named Johnny Nolan.
• When they leave the restaurant, Johnny hides in a doorway to avoid a man who is walking by.
• When Dick asks why, Johnny explains that the man had secured a place for him at a farm.
• Johnny didn't like having to...
This section contains 4,554 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)