Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Ragged Dick, Chapters 1-4 Abstract
* Dick is awakened by a man.
* He earns his own money giving shoe shines since his guardian, he says, doesn't give him money.
* He tells the porter that he doesn't steal.
* The boy had slept in a wooden box with straw in it.
* He begins his day of shining shoes.
This section contains 4,985 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)