|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened in colonial America when Connecticut tried to annex Pennsylvania?
(a) A death.
(b) A law suit.
2. What was the main consideration for a colonial man to be considered a gentleman?
(a) He must be free from material and intellectual want.
(b) He must be a land owner and a church member.
(c) He must be a member of a political party and the militia.
(d) He must be a married man with good standing in the community.
3. When did the Seven Years War take place?
4. How did colonial gentry demonstrate virtue?
(a) By supporting trade schools and farms.
(b) By consuming enough to employ the commoners.
(c) By church attendance and charitable contributions.
(d) By righteous behavior and virtuous living.
5. What did Ben Franklin say about government?
(a) It's a necessary evil.
(b) It should be obeyed.
(c) It should be abolished.
(d) It's a man-made contrivance.
6. What was the ideology of the Enlightenment?
7. Who was governor of Massachusetts during the Boston Tea Party?
(a) Thomas Hutton.
(b) Thomas Huxtible.
(c) Thomas Hutchins.
(d) Thomas Hutchinson.
8. What spending trend in colonial America did social conservatives condemn?
(a) Speculative spending.
(b) Emulation spending.
(c) Foolish spending.
(d) Recreational spending.
9. During the war against France, what did farmers buy after they sold their surplus to the British troops?
(a) Needed equipment.
(b) Luxury goods.
(c) More land.
10. In colonial America, what were women considered from a legal standpoint?
(a) They were independent.
(b) They were non-people.
(c) They were dependent.
(d) They were possessions.
11. How did the American colonies react to the intrusion of royal authority in 1763?
(a) Welcomed it.
(b) Ignored it.
(c) Didn't accept it.
(d) Asked for it.
12. In colonial America, how did parents view their power as parents?
(a) Limited monarchy.
(b) Head of a democracy.
(d) Equals within the family.
13. What was critical to the success of colonial American office holders?
(a) Stable family life.
(b) Social respectability.
(c) Freedom from debt.
(d) Personal accountability.
14. Who wrote the "Spirit of Laws" in 1748?
15. What was it called when Ben Franklin appointed his friends and family to official positions after he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America?
Short Answer Questions
1. In colonial America, what was the ultimate means of defending one's honor?
2. How was intermarriage and inbreeding looked upon by colonial gentry?
3. What did the colonial American courts treat more seriously than violent acts?
4. What did classical republican ideals lay the foundation for?
5. In the 18th century, what did the golden age of Roman literature speak about?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)