|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the original American colonists pride themselves as being?
(a) Fortunate with possessions and families.
(b) Righteous with values and morals.
(c) Patriots with abilties and drives.
(d) Free men with rights and liberties.
2. From which business did Ben Franklin eventually retire?
(c) Store owner.
3. What is one way republicans are different from monarchists?
(a) Less subject to corruption.
(b) More subject to revolution.
(c) Less subject to revolution.
(d) More subject to corruption.
4. What was Philadelphia's approximate population in 1760?
5. What was the colonial role in the renewed Anglo-French warfare in the 1750s?
(a) They supplied no manpower or resources to any country.
(b) They supplied manpower and resources to England.
(c) They had no manpower or resources to supply to any country.
(d) They supplied manpower and resources to France.
6. What was critical to the success of colonial American office holders?
(a) Freedom from debt.
(b) Social respectability.
(c) Stable family life.
(d) Personal accountability.
7. What were the religious upheavals in the colonies eventually called?
(a) Great Awakening.
(b) Puritan Petitions.
(c) Church's Decision.
(d) Religious Revolution.
8. What kind of colonial churches dominated the first third of the 18th century?
(a) Organizational and society supported churches.
(b) Independent congregation supported churches.
(c) Centralized state supported churches.
(d) Denominationally supported churches.
9. In the American colonies, what was the euphemistic name for every kind of personal connection, even if inherently unequal?
10. How was high office in colonial America considered?
(a) As a right and responsibility.
(b) As a sacrifice and burden.
(c) As an honor and privilege.
(d) As a profession and profit.
11. Who vigorously denounced the Stamp Act riots in 1765?
(a) Daniel Moore.
(b) James Otis.
(c) Thomas Hutchison.
(d) Henry Laurens.
12. In colonial America, what outweighed the concern for family lineage?
(a) Individual desires of the father.
(b) Individual desires of the head of the household.
(c) Individual desires of the mother.
(d) Individual desires of the children.
13. What did the colonial American courts treat more seriously than violent acts?
14. What were those who opposed the Anglican church called?
15. What percentage of 18th century colonial Americans were employed in farming?
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of southern colonists were aristocrats?
2. How could a person be mobile in colonial society?
3. How was intermarriage and inbreeding looked upon by colonial gentry?
4. What would eventually secure the people's right to participate in government?
5. In colonial America, what was done with a political effigy?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)