|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of colonial churches dominated the first third of the 18th century?
(a) Independent congregation supported churches.
(b) Centralized state supported churches.
(c) Denominationally supported churches.
(d) Organizational and society supported churches.
2. What did monarchists hold as extremely important?
(a) Peace and order.
(b) Counterculture and reorganization.
(c) Liberty and independence.
(d) Monarchy and enlightenment.
3. Who wrote about the irreligious "Wild Woods" of the Carolina back country?
(a) Woodward Charleston.
(b) Mason Woodward.
(c) Charles Woodmason.
(d) Charles Masonward.
4. How did colonial Americans look on black slavery?
(a) As an abomination.
(b) As an institution which needs legislation.
(c) As a necessary evil.
(d) As just another form of dependency.
5. What was Philadelphia's approximate population in 1760?
6. In colonial America, what was done with a political effigy?
(a) It was hanged.
(b) It was burned.
(c) It was buried.
(d) It was pubically beaten.
7. What percentage of northern colonists were aristocrats?
8. What was the primary nationality of the American colonists?
9. What did the colonial American courts treat more seriously than violent acts?
10. What was critical to the success of colonial American office holders?
(a) Stable family life.
(b) Social respectability.
(c) Personal accountability.
(d) Freedom from debt.
11. When did the Seven Years War take place?
12. Who was the head of a colonial household?
(a) The matriarch.
(b) The oldest grandfather.
(c) The patriarch.
(d) The parents.
13. Who was the most popular and powerful man in Massachusetts during the last quarter of the 18th century?
(a) Ben Franklin.
(b) Henry McCulloch.
(c) John Hancock.
(d) Thomas Hutchinson.
14. How did non-English colonial Americans feel about the monarchy?
(a) They had great respect for it.
(b) They hoped it will continue.
(c) They wished it were abolished.
(d) They had no attachment to it.
15. In colonial America, who were the protectors and creditors of common farmers?
(a) The merchants.
(b) The local government.
(c) The patrons.
(d) The great planters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic separated patricians from plebeians?
2. How did fathers among colonial gentry control their adult children?
3. When first offered, why did Ben Franklin say he would not accept the military rank of colonel?
4. In the American colonies, what was the euphemistic name for every kind of personal connection, even if inherently unequal?
5. Who rejected "ancient prejudices" that supported hereditary monarchy?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)