|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship did the British farmer have with the land he worked?
(a) He lent it.
(b) He borrowed it.
(c) He was the owner.
(d) He was a tenant.
2. Who must yield power for a government to be good?
(a) Wealthy men.
(b) Men interested in politics.
(c) Disinterested men.
(d) Men who care about society.
3. What percentage of northern colonists were aristocrats?
4. What supported the colonial southern plantations that made networks of influence unnecessary?
(b) Family networks.
(d) Outside investors.
5. What religious belief did Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin hold?
6. What were the religious upheavals in the colonies eventually called?
(a) Great Awakening.
(b) Religious Revolution.
(c) Church's Decision.
(d) Puritan Petitions.
7. In colonial America, who were the protectors and creditors of common farmers?
(a) The merchants.
(b) The local government.
(c) The great planters.
(d) The patrons.
8. How are people regarded in a hierarchical society?
(a) Individuals are socially equal.
(b) Individuals belong to a particular class.
(c) Individuals can easily move between classes.
(d) Individuals can never change class.
9. In the American colonies, what was the euphemistic name for every kind of personal connection, even if inherently unequal?
10. What happened in colonial America when Connecticut tried to annex Pennsylvania?
(a) A law suit.
(b) A death.
11. From which business did Ben Franklin eventually retire?
(a) Store owner.
12. What was another name for colonial gentlemen?
13. How were domestic servants treated in colonial America as compared to Europe at that same time?
(a) With more kindness and compassion.
(b) With fewer accommodations and conveniences.
(c) With more brutality and humiliation.
(d) With less free time and days off.
14. What was another name for colonial commoners?
15. Concerning the marketplace, how did colonial American and British aristocracy differ?
(a) British are involved in the marketplace while Americans are not
(b) Americans are better in the marketplace.
(c) Americans are involved in the marketplace while British are not.
(d) British are better in the marketplace.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could a colonial adolescent master a particular skill or learn a discipline?
2. In colonial America, what were women considered from a legal standpoint?
3. What did monarchists hold as extremely important?
4. What kind of colonial churches dominated the first third of the 18th century?
5. Originally in colonial America, how were gentlemen to treat inferiors and subordinates?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)