|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was governor of Massachusetts during the Boston Tea Party?
(a) Thomas Hutchins.
(b) Thomas Huxtible.
(c) Thomas Hutton.
(d) Thomas Hutchinson.
2. Who wrote the "Spirit of Laws" in 1748?
3. What did monarchists hold as extremely important?
(a) Monarchy and enlightenment.
(b) Counterculture and reorganization.
(c) Liberty and independence.
(d) Peace and order.
4. What was another name for colonial gentlemen?
5. Who did the American colonists blame when the wrong people held office?
(a) Other officials.
(b) The voters.
(c) The crown.
6. What percentage of northern colonists were aristocrats?
7. What is one way republicans are different from monarchists?
(a) Less subject to revolution.
(b) More subject to revolution.
(c) Less subject to corruption.
(d) More subject to corruption.
8. What was Philadelphia's approximate population in 1760?
9. What did Ben Franklin say about government?
(a) It's a necessary evil.
(b) It should be obeyed.
(c) It's a man-made contrivance.
(d) It should be abolished.
10. Who wrote about the irreligious "Wild Woods" of the Carolina back country?
(a) Mason Woodward.
(b) Charles Masonward.
(c) Woodward Charleston.
(d) Charles Woodmason.
11. What did Ben Franklin identify as the central political problems of his time?
(a) Hatred of politicians and the military.
(b) Love of country and home.
(c) Love of power and money.
(d) Hatred of dependence and oppression.
12. How did Colonel Landon Carter express his confusion about child rearing in colonial society?
(a) In a book.
(b) In a diary.
(c) In a series of lectures.
(d) In a series of newspaper articles.
13. What did classical republican ideals lay the foundation for?
(a) A science education.
(b) A legal education.
(c) A religious education.
(d) A liberal arts education.
14. Who was the head of a colonial household?
(a) The patriarch.
(b) The oldest grandfather.
(c) The matriarch.
(d) The parents.
15. What spending trend in colonial America did social conservatives condemn?
(a) Emulation spending.
(b) Speculative spending.
(c) Recreational spending.
(d) Foolish spending.
Short Answer Questions
1. Within the colonial family unit, what right did adult children demand?
2. What was the highest class of British society called?
3. Who vigorously denounced the Stamp Act riots in 1765?
4. In colonial America, who were the protectors and creditors of common farmers?
5. How did colonial Americans look on black slavery?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)