|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the war against France, what did farmers buy after they sold their surplus to the British troops?
(a) Needed equipment.
(b) Luxury goods.
(d) More land.
2. How were domestic servants treated in colonial America as compared to Europe at that same time?
(a) With more brutality and humiliation.
(b) With fewer accommodations and conveniences.
(c) With more kindness and compassion.
(d) With less free time and days off.
3. What percentage of 18th century colonial Americans were employed in farming?
4. What was it called when Ben Franklin appointed his friends and family to official positions after he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America?
5. Why was poverty considered a virtue for common colonial people?
(a) It kept them submissive.
(b) It kept them subjected.
(c) It kept them satisfied.
(d) It kept them industrious.
6. How are people regarded in a hierarchical society?
(a) Individuals belong to a particular class.
(b) Individuals can never change class.
(c) Individuals are socially equal.
(d) Individuals can easily move between classes.
7. Concerning the marketplace, how did colonial American and British aristocracy differ?
(a) British are involved in the marketplace while Americans are not
(b) Americans are better in the marketplace.
(c) Americans are involved in the marketplace while British are not.
(d) British are better in the marketplace.
8. What would eventually secure the people's right to participate in government?
(a) The right to own property.
(b) Legal documents.
(c) Religious freedom.
(d) The right to vote.
9. In colonial America, what were women considered from a legal standpoint?
(a) They were non-people.
(b) They were independent.
(c) They were possessions.
(d) They were dependent.
10. When did the Seven Years War take place?
11. In the 18th century, what did the golden age of Roman literature speak about?
(a) Scientific and historic discoveries.
(b) Religious and emotional decisions.
(c) Political and social ideals.
(d) Moral and ethical issues.
12. Who wrote about the irreligious "Wild Woods" of the Carolina back country?
(a) Mason Woodward.
(b) Charles Woodmason.
(c) Charles Masonward.
(d) Woodward Charleston.
13. What did Republicans hold as extremely important?
(a) Liberty and independence.
(b) Counterculture and reorganization.
(c) Peace and order.
(d) Monarchy and enlightenment.
14. What percentage of northern colonists were aristocrats?
15. What was another name for colonial gentlemen?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the middle of the 18th century, what did many revolutionary leaders feel the colonies still needed?
2. From which business did Ben Franklin eventually retire?
3. What were the religious upheavals in the colonies eventually called?
4. How were superiors, magistrates, and masters to be honored?
5. What kinds of laws were proposed in colonial America to curb spending?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)