|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the most popular and powerful man in Massachusetts during the last quarter of the 18th century?
(a) Thomas Hutchinson.
(b) John Hancock.
(c) Henry McCulloch.
(d) Ben Franklin.
2. In colonial America, what was commonly manufactured in enormous quantities by the farming population?
(a) Farm equipment.
3. What was another name for colonial gentlemen?
4. What did the colonial American courts treat more seriously than violent acts?
5. How could a colonial adolescent master a particular skill or learn a discipline?
(a) Learn from a sibling.
(b) Be indentured or go to school.
(c) Learn from parents.
(d) Be privately tutored.
6. What happened in colonial America when more and more people demanded land?
(a) Common people became land owners.
(b) Land was controlled by the government.
(c) There wasn't enough land.
(d) Land prices went up.
7. Who wrote about the irreligious "Wild Woods" of the Carolina back country?
(a) Woodward Charleston.
(b) Charles Masonward.
(c) Mason Woodward.
(d) Charles Woodmason.
8. What was it called when Ben Franklin appointed his friends and family to official positions after he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America?
9. Who rejected "ancient prejudices" that supported hereditary monarchy?
(a) Thomas Paine.
(b) Jonathan Sewell.
(c) John Locke.
(d) Ben Franklin.
10. What was critical to the success of colonial American office holders?
(a) Stable family life.
(b) Freedom from debt.
(c) Social respectability.
(d) Personal accountability.
11. What were those who opposed the Anglican church called?
12. Who was an important patron of Ben Franklin?
(a) William Keith.
(b) Thomas Penn.
(c) David Hume.
(d) William Gouch.
13. During the war against France, what did farmers buy after they sold their surplus to the British troops?
(a) Luxury goods.
(b) Needed equipment.
(d) More land.
14. What happened in colonial America when Connecticut tried to annex Pennsylvania?
(a) A law suit.
(c) A death.
15. What did colonial religious sects have in common?
(a) They advocated honoring authority.
(b) They advocated disobeying authority.
(c) They advocated controlling authority.
(d) They advocated disavowing authority.
Short Answer Questions
1. Within the colonial family unit, what right did adult children demand?
2. What percentage of southern colonists were aristocrats?
3. Who argued that Britain was an unnatural parent?
4. What was the primary nationality of the American colonists?
5. How did John Locke view a child's mind?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)