|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Concerning the marketplace, how did colonial American and British aristocracy differ?
(a) Americans are involved in the marketplace while British are not.
(b) Americans are better in the marketplace.
(c) British are involved in the marketplace while Americans are not
(d) British are better in the marketplace.
2. Who in colonial America had the best opportunity to become wealthy?
(a) Those engaged in selling arms in the war.
(b) Those engaged in overseas commerce.
(c) Those engaged in colonial politics.
(d) Those engaged in supplying goods to the colonists.
3. Who argued that Britain was an unnatural parent?
4. In colonial America, what emerged after politics cease to be a contest among prominent families?
(a) Honest officials.
(b) Money for good causes.
(c) Fair laws.
(d) Political parties.
5. What percentage of 18th century colonial Americans were employed in farming?
6. What did colonial religious sects have in common?
(a) They advocated disobeying authority.
(b) They advocated controlling authority.
(c) They advocated disavowing authority.
(d) They advocated honoring authority.
7. What would eventually secure the people's right to participate in government?
(a) Religious freedom.
(b) The right to vote.
(c) Legal documents.
(d) The right to own property.
8. In colonial America, who were the protectors and creditors of common farmers?
(a) The local government.
(b) The great planters.
(c) The patrons.
(d) The merchants.
9. When Ben Franklin was a boy, what important man discussed books with him?
(a) William Burnet.
(b) Andrew Hamilton.
(c) William Allen.
(d) James Logan.
10. What did the colonial American courts treat more seriously than violent acts?
11. In colonial America, what were women considered from a legal standpoint?
(a) They were dependent.
(b) They were possessions.
(c) They were independent.
(d) They were non-people.
12. What did monarchists hold as extremely important?
(a) Liberty and independence.
(b) Peace and order.
(c) Monarchy and enlightenment.
(d) Counterculture and reorganization.
13. Towards the middle of the 18th century, how fast was the American population growing?
(a) It doubled every 20 years.
(b) It doubled every 15 years.
(c) It doubled every 5 years.
(d) It doubled every 10 years.
14. What was the highest class of British society called?
15. In colonial America, what outweighed the concern for family lineage?
(a) Individual desires of the children.
(b) Individual desires of the father.
(c) Individual desires of the head of the household.
(d) Individual desires of the mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the "Spirit of Laws" in 1748?
2. What was the ideology of the Enlightenment?
3. What characteristic of their heritage did colonial Americans in New England cling to?
4. In colonial America, why did officer holders receive honors and titles?
5. What were the religious upheavals in the colonies eventually called?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)