|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In colonial America, who were the protectors and creditors of common farmers?
(a) The merchants.
(b) The local government.
(c) The great planters.
(d) The patrons.
2. In the American colonies, what was the euphemistic name for every kind of personal connection, even if inherently unequal?
3. Who was the head of a colonial household?
(a) The matriarch.
(b) The patriarch.
(c) The parents.
(d) The oldest grandfather.
4. What percentage of southern colonists were aristocrats?
5. How could a person be mobile in colonial society?
(a) By demonstrating and possessing qualifications for new rank.
(b) By earning money and buying status for the new rank.
(c) By replacing someone of a higher rank.
(d) By marrying into a higher social rank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the primary nationality of the American colonists?
2. In colonial America, what was the ultimate means of defending one's honor?
3. What percentage of northern colonists were aristocrats?
4. When meeting someone new in colonial America, what was required for confidence in dealing with that person?
5. Who in colonial America had the best opportunity to become wealthy?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)