|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship did the British farmer have with the land he worked?
(a) He lent it.
(b) He borrowed it.
(c) He was a tenant.
(d) He was the owner.
2. From which business did Ben Franklin eventually retire?
(c) Store owner.
3. Originally in colonial America, how were gentlemen to treat inferiors and subordinates?
(a) As equals.
(b) As parents.
(c) As children.
(d) As spouses.
4. How could a person be mobile in colonial society?
(a) By earning money and buying status for the new rank.
(b) By marrying into a higher social rank.
(c) By replacing someone of a higher rank.
(d) By demonstrating and possessing qualifications for new rank.
5. Why was poverty considered a virtue for common colonial people?
(a) It kept them submissive.
(b) It kept them satisfied.
(c) It kept them industrious.
(d) It kept them subjected.
Short Answer Questions
1. In colonial America, who was rescued from poverty as a fourteen-year-old boy, only to become one of Virginia's most distinguished leaders?
2. What percentage of 18th century colonial Americans were employed in farming?
3. In colonial America, who were the protectors and creditors of common farmers?
4. What was critical to the success of colonial American office holders?
5. How were domestic servants treated in colonial America as compared to Europe at that same time?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)