|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In colonial America, who were the protectors and creditors of common farmers?
(a) The local government.
(b) The patrons.
(c) The great planters.
(d) The merchants.
2. From which business did Ben Franklin eventually retire?
(c) Store owner.
3. In the American colonies, what was the euphemistic name for every kind of personal connection, even if inherently unequal?
4. How was high office in colonial America considered?
(a) As a sacrifice and burden.
(b) As a profession and profit.
(c) As an honor and privilege.
(d) As a right and responsibility.
5. In colonial America, which pairs of words were "opposites and irreconcilable"?
(a) Freedom and dependency.
(b) Freedom and religion.
(c) Tenant and dependency.
(d) Indentured and dependency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Philadelphia's approximate population in 1760?
2. In colonial America, a person who didn't have to work for a living still held what responsibility?
3. Why was poverty considered a virtue for common colonial people?
4. Who did the American colonists blame when the wrong people held office?
5. After retiring, what does Ben Franklin do that later embarrasses him?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)