|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which business did Ben Franklin eventually retire?
(d) Store owner.
2. Who was an important patron of Ben Franklin?
(a) William Gouch.
(b) William Keith.
(c) Thomas Penn.
(d) David Hume.
3. After retiring, what does Ben Franklin do that later embarrasses him?
(a) Commission a house.
(b) Commission a special gun.
(c) Commission a portrait.
(d) Commission a uniform.
4. In colonial America, which pairs of words were "opposites and irreconcilable"?
(a) Freedom and dependency.
(b) Freedom and religion.
(c) Indentured and dependency.
(d) Tenant and dependency.
5. What was the status of an indentured servant in colonial America?
(a) He was a free agent.
(b) He was property.
(c) He was working his way up the ladder.
(d) He was the lowest class of society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was another name for colonial commoners?
2. When first offered, why did Ben Franklin say he would not accept the military rank of colonel?
3. In colonial America, who were the protectors and creditors of common farmers?
4. How did colonial gentry demonstrate virtue?
5. What was another name for colonial gentlemen?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)