|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How could a person be mobile in colonial society?
(a) By earning money and buying status for the new rank.
(b) By replacing someone of a higher rank.
(c) By demonstrating and possessing qualifications for new rank.
(d) By marrying into a higher social rank.
2. Why was poverty considered a virtue for common colonial people?
(a) It kept them submissive.
(b) It kept them subjected.
(c) It kept them industrious.
(d) It kept them satisfied.
3. What was another name for colonial commoners?
4. How did colonial Americans look on black slavery?
(a) As an institution which needs legislation.
(b) As an abomination.
(c) As a necessary evil.
(d) As just another form of dependency.
5. Who in colonial America had the best opportunity to become wealthy?
(a) Those engaged in selling arms in the war.
(b) Those engaged in supplying goods to the colonists.
(c) Those engaged in overseas commerce.
(d) Those engaged in colonial politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did fathers among colonial gentry control their adult children?
2. In colonial America, what were women considered from a legal standpoint?
3. What was another name for colonial gentlemen?
4. What characteristic separated patricians from plebeians?
5. What was the highest class of British society called?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)