|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was an important patron of Ben Franklin?
(a) William Gouch.
(b) William Keith.
(c) Thomas Penn.
(d) David Hume.
2. Who had an international reputation as a hero in the 1780s?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Ben Franklin.
3. In colonial America, what was a self-made man called?
(a) A lucky Tom.
(b) An industrious Samuel.
(c) A wealthy William.
(d) A poor Richard.
4. How was high office in colonial America considered?
(a) As a sacrifice and burden.
(b) As an honor and privilege.
(c) As a right and responsibility.
(d) As a profession and profit.
5. Who called traditional ties of a monarchical society "bonds of blood, family, and personal influence"?
(a) Jeremy Belknap.
(b) Owen Biddle.
(c) James Allen.
(d) Israel Williams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the ideology of the Enlightenment?
2. In colonial America, what were women considered from a legal standpoint?
3. Concerning the marketplace, how did colonial American and British aristocracy differ?
4. What most alarmed the American colonial gentry of the 1760s and 1770s?
5. When first offered, why did Ben Franklin say he would not accept the military rank of colonel?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)