|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the head of a colonial household?
(a) The parents.
(b) The oldest grandfather.
(c) The matriarch.
(d) The patriarch.
2. Who rejected "ancient prejudices" that supported hereditary monarchy?
(a) Ben Franklin.
(b) Jonathan Sewell.
(c) John Locke.
(d) Thomas Paine.
3. How was intermarriage and inbreeding looked upon by colonial gentry?
(a) It is encouraged.
(b) It is forbidden.
(c) It is commonplace.
(d) It is illegal.
4. Who said America was "just emerging from the rude unpolished condition of an infant country"?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Jonathan Mayhew.
(c) William Livingston.
(d) Joseph Addison.
5. How did John Locke view a child's mind?
(a) As foolish until educated.
(b) As a blank slate.
(c) As useless and unformed.
(d) As moldable as clay.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who argued that Britain was an unnatural parent?
2. When first offered, why did Ben Franklin say he would not accept the military rank of colonel?
3. How did Colonel Landon Carter express his confusion about child rearing in colonial society?
4. Who identified the source of the revolution as the dissolution of family authority?
5. What was it called when Ben Franklin appointed his friends and family to official positions after he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)