|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was critical to the success of colonial American office holders?
(a) Freedom from debt.
(b) Stable family life.
(c) Social respectability.
(d) Personal accountability.
2. In colonial America, a person who didn't have to work for a living still held what responsibility?
(a) He owed service to society.
(b) He owed jobs to the unemployed.
(c) He owed charity to the poor.
(d) He owed money to society.
3. In colonial America, why did officer holders receive honors and titles?
(a) To inspire respect and obedience from the common people.
(b) To give honor where honor is due.
(c) To impress and show up their peers.
(d) To solicit money for polictical causes.
4. After retiring, what does Ben Franklin do that later embarrasses him?
(a) Commission a uniform.
(b) Commission a house.
(c) Commission a special gun.
(d) Commission a portrait.
5. What was it called when Ben Franklin appointed his friends and family to official positions after he became Deputy Postmaster General of North America?
Short Answer Questions
1. When first offered, why did Ben Franklin say he would not accept the military rank of colonel?
2. Who strove to undermine the gentry's distinctiveness and privileges by emphasizing their similarity to common people?
3. How many Boston merchants were named in the Massachusetts Banishment Act of 1778?
4. What percent of colonial Americans were loyalists?
5. In the 1790s, who labeled gentry as men of idleness, extravagance, and dissipation?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)