Short Answer Key
Book 1, Rabelais & His World : Chapter 1, Foreward
1. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
A somewhat mysterious but increasingly interesting literary figure.
2. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
To communicate meaningful messages.
3. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
A system of values.
4. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
As a multiplicity of styles.
5. According to Bakhtin's semiotic understanding, what irony is inherent within the creative power of language?
The individual expresses him- or herself only through the words of others.
6. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
Organized by human acts of behavior and cognition.
7. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
Socially charged and polemical.
8. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
9. With what is "folk culture" most concerned?
The lives of ordinary people.
10. What does Bakhtin argue is the...
This section contains 3,195 words|
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)