|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Chapter 3 - Popular - Festive Forms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Rabelais' various works indicate about the popular notion of urination?
(a) Urination is disgusting and should be done privately.
(b) Urination fertilizes the earth and creates bodies of water.
(c) Urination can only be used for comic purposes.
(d) Urination is a medical mystery that baffles doctors.
2. What do some critics argue has been absent from Russian literature?
(a) Sexually-charged dialogue.
(b) Religious fervor.
(c) Political dissent.
(d) A particularly Western type of humor.
3. What significant thing did translators of Rabelais' work add to their translations?
(a) Lists of games played in their own countries.
(b) Lists of street cries common in their own countries.
(c) Editorial remarks in the form of footnotes.
(d) Critical inquiry of the validity of Rabelais' portrayal of marketplace culture.
4. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
(a) It continues into the present day.
(b) Only the elite class was involved.
(c) People of all classes and occupations were centrally involved.
(d) It was purely a religious revolt.
5. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
(a) By sharing them with an eager public.
(b) By trying to correctly interpret the source of the cultural laughter within them.
(c) By denouncing them as counterproductive to the ongoing Russian Revolution.
(d) By reviving their content in new, twentieth-century forms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bakhtin consider oaths, curses, and profanities elements of freedom?
2. Bakhtin asserts that the advertisement for "pantagruelion" in the Third Book expresses:
3. What do oaths and curses have in common with town announcements and the calls of vendors?
4. The verbal interactions between the Renaissance marketplace hawker and the crowd were above all:
5. What was the most prevalent medium of the culture of the common folk in the Renaissance?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)