|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Chapter 3 - Popular - Festive Forms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) The materials from which the art is constructed.
(b) A system of values.
(c) Whatever the audience chooses.
(d) Only one possible message.
2. What work of literature is parodied in the prologue of _Gargantua_?
(a) Malory's _Le Morte d'Arthur_
(b) Chaucer's _Canterbury Tales_
(c) Plato's _Symposium_
(d) Dante's _Divine Comedy_
3. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
(a) By attending many fairs and festivals and observing all the people there.
(b) By receiving a divine revelation.
(c) By interviewing thousands of market vendors.
(d) By studying manuscripts for long hours in monasteries.
4. Gargamelle gives birth to Gargantua as a result of:
(a) Praying for a child.
(b) Casting a spell of birth.
(c) A spirit impregnating her.
(d) Eating too much tripe.
5. In which element of Shakespeare's dramas does Bakhtin see the overall theme of Rabelais' carnivalesque repeated?
(a) In the strengths of characters such as Hamlet and Othello.
(b) In the farcical secondary characters.
(c) In the logic of crownings and uncrownings.
(d) In the tragic elements of Shakespeare's romances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the image of woman in the Renaissance popular comic tradition?
2. Carnival allowed:
3. Clowns and fools are:
4. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
5. What is a Renaissance "diablerie"?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)