|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Chapter 3 - Popular - Festive Forms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event that Rabelais relates does he assert is the origin of the name of the city of Paris?
(a) An earthquake that disrupts Carnival.
(b) A battle won by the French against the English.
(c) Gargantua's drenching of the city in urine.
(d) Pantagruel's education in the druggists' shops.
2. In the seventeenth century, the decline of laughter as a primary force in folk culture resulted from:
(a) The declining number of Carnival performers.
(b) An increasingly "official" culture of rationalism.
(c) The exhaustion of any new sources of humor.
(d) The need of the public for other forms of diversion.
3. The core images of the prologue of _Gargantua_ are:
(a) Scenes of eating and drinking.
(b) Scenes of violence.
(c) Scenes of travel and journeys.
(d) Scenes of pious worship.
4. When the grotesque was revived in the Romantic era, what did it react against?
(a) The rediscovered works of Shakespeare and Cervantes.
(b) Imaginative fantasy.
(c) Individual, sentimental ideas.
(d) Neoclassical, rational, Enlightenment thought.
5. What is a "marketplace spectacle"?
(a) A series of booths dedicated solely to bilking customers out of their money.
(b) Specifically the public whipping of a criminal in the center of the marketplace.
(c) A theatrical production arranged atop a platform in the center of the marketplace.
(d) The mundane goings-on of a typical French Renaissance marketplace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which aspect of Renaissance culture does Bakhtin stress is still apparent in Western society today?
2. Bakhtin asserts that the spirit of Carnival is essentially:
3. In Rabelais' time, the word "drum" and the act of drumming connoted:
4. What was the most prevalent medium of the culture of the common folk in the Renaissance?
5. What is the "sia ammazzato" of which Goethe writes?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)