|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Intro. cont. & Chapter 1 - Rabelais in the History of Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
(a) The lyric.
(b) The epic poem.
(c) The biography.
(d) The novel.
2. After Rabelais' time, the use of laughter in literature and culture moved in which direction?
(a) From accepted to encouraged.
(b) From spiritual to earthly.
(c) From universal to restricted.
(d) From singular to universal.
3. How are Bakhtin and Rabelais similar?
(a) They both directly challenge the government by running for political office.
(b) They both subvert the social prohibition on laughter, satire, and irony.
(c) They live in the same country.
(d) They both write mostly novels.
4. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To be beautiful in and of itself.
(b) To communicate meaningful messages.
(c) To glorify the artist.
(d) To be sold for money or services.
5. What does Bakhtin find to be the greatest error other critics make in their studies of Rabelais' works?
(a) They treat Rabelais as a prophet of literary upheavals.
(b) They neglect to explore the element of the Renaissance folk culture.
(c) They read Rabelais' works as allegory only.
(d) They classify Rabelais as just as important as Shakespeare and Cervantes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bakhtin argue is the role of dialogue?
2. According to Bakhtin's semiotic understanding, what irony is inherent within the creative power of language?
3. Carnival allowed:
4. Clowns and fools are:
5. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)