|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Intro. cont. & Chapter 1 - Rabelais in the History of Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
(a) With complete understanding of Medieval and Renaissance culture.
(b) With an appreciation of, and interest in, the grotesque.
(c) With disgust and negative criticism.
(d) They ignored Rabelais completely.
2. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
(a) A vocal Eastern Orthodox cleric.
(b) A fictional figure created to be the mouthpiece of an anonymous author.
(c) A somewhat mysterious but increasingly interesting literary figure.
(d) The most famous Russian writer ever.
3. After Rabelais' time, the use of laughter in literature and culture moved in which direction?
(a) From universal to restricted.
(b) From spiritual to earthly.
(c) From accepted to encouraged.
(d) From singular to universal.
4. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To communicate meaningful messages.
(b) To be beautiful in and of itself.
(c) To be sold for money or services.
(d) To glorify the artist.
5. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
2. In which twentieth-century movement was the grotesque especially evident?
3. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
4. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
5. What was the reception of Rabelais' work in the eighteenth century?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)