|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Intro. cont. & Chapter 1 - Rabelais in the History of Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "man's second nature," according to Renaissance Christian doctrine?
(a) The celebratory but degrading impulse toward gluttony, scatology, and sex.
(b) The way people act differently around those of another social class.
(c) The thoughtfulness of the individual mind.
(d) Man's higher spiritual calling.
2. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To be sold for money or services.
(b) To communicate meaningful messages.
(c) To glorify the artist.
(d) To be beautiful in and of itself.
3. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) Whatever the audience chooses.
(b) The materials from which the art is constructed.
(c) A system of values.
(d) Only one possible message.
4. What was the reception of Rabelais' work in the eighteenth century?
(a) His work was viewed as unintelligible and barbaric.
(b) Other writers strove to emulate his style.
(c) Other writers used his topics as a jumping-off point for their own works.
(d) His work was viewed as a revival of Classical writing.
5. What in particular forms the basic elements of Rabelais' novel _Gargantua_?
(a) Autobiographical observations of Rabelais' own life.
(b) Historical allusions.
(c) Classical myths.
(d) Predictions of the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
2. In the seventeenth century, the decline of laughter as a primary force in folk culture resulted from:
3. Medieval parodies were:
4. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
5. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)