|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Intro. cont. & Chapter 1 - Rabelais in the History of Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
2. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
(a) Death rituals.
3. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
(a) Reassert traditional definitions of social and spiritual life.
(b) Indicate the importance of travel to an individual's self-development.
(c) Irreversibly denigrate everything it could.
(d) Call upon something serious and make it amusing.
4. How are Bakhtin and Rabelais similar?
(a) They both subvert the social prohibition on laughter, satire, and irony.
(b) They both directly challenge the government by running for political office.
(c) They live in the same country.
(d) They both write mostly novels.
5. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) The materials from which the art is constructed.
(b) Only one possible message.
(c) Whatever the audience chooses.
(d) A system of values.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
2. During the "feast of fools" and the "feast of the ass," laughter:
3. What does Bakhtin find to be the greatest error other critics make in their studies of Rabelais' works?
4. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
5. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)