|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Intro. cont. & Chapter 1 - Rabelais in the History of Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is "folk culture" most concerned?
(a) The affairs of royalty.
(b) Commerce and industry.
(c) Foreign songs, art, and stories.
(d) The lives of ordinary people.
2. How are Bakhtin and Rabelais similar?
(a) They both subvert the social prohibition on laughter, satire, and irony.
(b) They both directly challenge the government by running for political office.
(c) They both write mostly novels.
(d) They live in the same country.
3. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
(a) The Soviet Society of National Fiction.
(b) The Post-Revolution Press
(c) The National Writers' Agency.
(d) The Russian Union of Writers.
4. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
5. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
(a) Indicate the importance of travel to an individual's self-development.
(b) Call upon something serious and make it amusing.
(c) Reassert traditional definitions of social and spiritual life.
(d) Irreversibly denigrate everything it could.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "intelligentsia"?
2. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
3. Carnival allowed:
4. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
5. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)