|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Chapter 3 - Popular-Festive Forms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Rabelais linked so closely to the Lyon fairs?
(a) The organizers of the fairs in Lyon banned Rabelais from attending them.
(b) Lyon fairs represented one of the largest markets for publishing.
(c) Rabelais was a chief organizer of these fairs.
(d) Rabelais was a performing clown for several years in these fairs.
2. In the Prologue of the Third Book, to which contemporary events does Rabelais allude?
(a) The Norman Invasion.
(b) The Black Death.
(c) The defeat of the French and Spanish fleets by Admiral Nelson.
(d) The defense of France against Charles V.
3. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
(a) Two political leaders of the different eras were incredibly alike.
(b) Both eras were times of broad social change that left people unsure of how to proceed.
(c) The literatures and cultures of both eras bore a distinct resemblance.
(d) The specific threat of disease was killing many people in both times.
4. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The arms and legs.
(b) The material lower stratum.
(c) The head and eyes.
(d) The spiritual interior essence.
5. In the folklore and grotesque realism of Rabelais' works, excrement represents bodies and matter that are:
(a) Generally revered.
(b) Frightening and terrible.
(c) Mostly comic.
(d) One with the earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin asserts that in the episode of Gargantua's birth, the dividing lines between _______ are erased.
2. What are the targets of the abusive language in Rabelais' prologue to the Third Book?
3. From which Catholic ritual does Panurge profit in _Pantagruel_?
4. What work of literature is parodied in the prologue of _Gargantua_?
5. What are the "intelligentsia"?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)