|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Chapter 3 - Popular-Festive Forms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
2. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The arms and legs.
(b) The material lower stratum.
(c) The spiritual interior essence.
(d) The head and eyes.
3. What do Rabelais' various works indicate about the popular notion of urination?
(a) Urination is a medical mystery that baffles doctors.
(b) Urination can only be used for comic purposes.
(c) Urination is disgusting and should be done privately.
(d) Urination fertilizes the earth and creates bodies of water.
4. From which Catholic ritual does Panurge profit in _Pantagruel_?
(a) The High Mass.
(b) Saying the Rosary.
(c) Papal indulgences.
5. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
(a) By interviewing thousands of market vendors.
(b) By attending many fairs and festivals and observing all the people there.
(c) By receiving a divine revelation.
(d) By studying manuscripts for long hours in monasteries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin asserts that beatings, death, feasting, and merrymaking are all integral parts of:
2. What are examples of carnivalesque victims?
3. When the grotesque was revived in the Romantic era, what did it react against?
4. Which answer best describes "grotesque realism"?
5. What is especially apparent in Rabelais' own "Pantagruelesque Prognostic" prophecy?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)