|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Chapter 3 - Popular-Festive Forms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which twentieth-century movement was the grotesque especially evident?
2. From which Catholic ritual does Panurge profit in _Pantagruel_?
(a) Papal indulgences.
(b) The High Mass.
(c) Saying the Rosary.
3. In the folklore and grotesque realism of Rabelais' works, excrement represents bodies and matter that are:
(a) Frightening and terrible.
(b) Mostly comic.
(c) Generally revered.
(d) One with the earth.
4. What significant thing did translators of Rabelais' work add to their translations?
(a) Lists of games played in their own countries.
(b) Critical inquiry of the validity of Rabelais' portrayal of marketplace culture.
(c) Editorial remarks in the form of footnotes.
(d) Lists of street cries common in their own countries.
5. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
(a) Only the elite class was involved.
(b) It was purely a religious revolt.
(c) People of all classes and occupations were centrally involved.
(d) It continues into the present day.
Short Answer Questions
1. The figure of the Physician in the Fourth Book is closely connected with:
2. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
3. In Rabelais' time, why was the meaning of debasement often ambivalent?
4. Bakhtin considers "thrashing" ambivalent, rather than strictly negative, because:
5. Rabelais expresses the debasement of suffering and fear by associating them with:
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)