|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Chapter 3 - Popular-Festive Forms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the "intelligentsia"?
(a) The bits of knowledge all people accumulate over their lifetimes.
(b) An elite spy organization.
(c) A group of exclusively male scholars.
(d) A group which provides an interpretation of the world.
2. The figure of the Physician in the Fourth Book is closely connected with:
(a) Death and birth.
(c) Thought and spirit.
3. In the Prologue of the Third Book, to which contemporary events does Rabelais allude?
(a) The Black Death.
(b) The defeat of the French and Spanish fleets by Admiral Nelson.
(c) The defense of France against Charles V.
(d) The Norman Invasion.
4. In Rabelais' time, why was the meaning of debasement often ambivalent?
(a) Because the decaying or excretory organs are closely located to the regenerative genital organs.
(b) Because the head is quite separate from all the other parts of the body, spiritually and materially.
(c) Because the person saying the insult never means it seriously.
(d) Because the debased person may choose to deflect the debasement.
5. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The arms and legs.
(b) The spiritual interior essence.
(c) The head and eyes.
(d) The material lower stratum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work of literature is parodied in the prologue of _Gargantua_?
2. Gargamelle gives birth to Gargantua as a result of:
3. When the grotesque was revived in the Romantic era, what did it react against?
4. Bakhtin associates Friar John's beating of the men with:
5. From which Catholic ritual does Panurge profit in _Pantagruel_?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)