Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Springer calls, Janice tells her that Harry is where?
2. What is the basis for the new religion that Harry creates in his dream?
3. Which of the following is not a nickname that Eccles gives to one of his parishioners?
4. According to Mrs. Spring what do Harry and Nelson Angstrom have in common?
5. What does Harry accept from Eccles that he considers a "wafer of repentance"?
Harry Angstrom is often little more than a lost child in the novel. He constantly searches for a mentor, someone who can simply tell him the right way. Write an essay about three people Harry looks to for guidance. How do these people come into his life, and why does he look up to them? What advice do they give him? Does it help?
Part 1) Marty Tothero
Part 2) Jack Eccles
Part 3) Mr. Springer
Updike spends much time creating the world of the novel with evocative descriptions of Mt. Judge and Brewer. This area of Pennsylvania is as much a character of the novel as any person. Write an essay about the setting of the novel. How does Harry Angstrom react to it? What does he feel about it? Does anyone in the novel every leave the area? How many people express any desire to do so?
Write an essay about Janice Angstrom's inner struggle with her own self-image. How does her relationship with Harry affect the way in which she views herself? In what way do her children serve as surrogates for her husband? Why does she turn to alcohol so often to cope with life? Explore these questions as you chart her character's arc.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)