Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Springer calls, Janice tells her that Harry is where?
2. What is the basis for the new religion that Harry creates in his dream?
3. Which of the following is not a nickname that Eccles gives to one of his parishioners?
4. According to Mrs. Spring what do Harry and Nelson Angstrom have in common?
5. What does Harry accept from Eccles that he considers a "wafer of repentance"?
Harry Angstrom feels terrorized by both his parents and his in-laws. They, in turn, are sharply and painfully divided in their opinions to of his actions. Write an essay regarding the parents in RABBIT, RUN, dividing them into those that fiercely support Harry and those that grow to revile him. Why do some stick by him? What does he mean to these people?
Marty Tothero seems like a cautionary figure when the prodigal Harry shows up at the Sunshine Athletic Association. He is separated from his wife, living in a storage closet, and occasionally attached to a likely prostitute. Write an essay about Tothero and Harry as kindred souls. What warnings does Tothero make to Harry? How does Harry feel like Tothero in his second date with Ruth and Margaret? Why does Harry always want to get away from Tothero?
John Updike - like Charles Dickens - makes use of evocative names to project character in this novel. Write an essay about three of these names. How do they reflect the essential personality of the person they denote? What does the reader expect with he or she reads these names?
Part 1) Harry Angstrom (strom means storm in German)
Part 2) Marty Tothero (tother means "the other" in Middle English)
Part 3) Jack Eccles
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)