|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a task that distracts Janice while the bath water is running?
2. What part of Lucy Eccles' appearance does Rabbit mention when Janice asks him to describe her?
3. Who does Janice feel is in the room with her while she administers CPR to Rebecca?
4. In the magazine story that Harry reads in the waiting room, where does a family take its bargain vacation?
5. What does Janice decide will help her fall asleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Angstrom hold three jobs over the course of Rabbit, Run. Write an essay in three parts, examining these different jobs and what they say about his attitude toward work in general. Does he believe he can do better than these jobs? Which does he like best? What bothers him about he jobs he dislikes?
Part 1) Magipeel Demonstrator
Part 2) Mrs Smith's gardener
Part 3) Car salesman
Essay Topic 2
Updike spends much time creating the world of the novel with evocative descriptions of Mt. Judge and Brewer. This area of Pennsylvania is as much a character of the novel as any person. Write an essay about the setting of the novel. How does Harry Angstrom react to it? What does he feel about it? Does anyone in the novel every leave the area? How many people express any desire to do so?
Essay Topic 3
The specter of death is ambiguous in RABBIT, RUN. It is at once remote and inconceivable, and sudden and horrific. Some characters have come to expect it at any moment, while others are suddenly struck down by it. Focusing on Tothero, Mrs. Smith, and Rebecca Angstrom, write an essay on death in the novel. How do characters understand the end of their lives? How do survivors cope with it?
This section contains 1,974 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)