|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what holiday do Ruth and Harry go swimming in this section?
(a) Labor Day
(b) Independence Day
(c) Memorial Day
2. By the end of the pickup game at the beginning of the novel, how many boys are playing with Harry?
3. What do Janice and Harry suspect Miss Arndt has?
(c) Chronic depression
4. What drink is Janis drinking when Harry returns home?
(a) Whiskey Sour
(b) Scotch and Water
(c) A Shirley Temple
(d) An Old Fashioned
5. Which of the following is not one of the three principal tools of the basketball player that Tothero discusses?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the follow is not something Ruth lists as something johns get from her but not from their wives?
2. As he drives south, Rabbit considers what it would be like to make love to the women of what wealthy family?
3. Which of the following is not a person that Ruth mentions at the pool when explaining why Harry thinks he has it good?
4. What does Ruth call Harry when he asks her if she is really a whore?
5. What team was Harry's team playing the night the two groups shared a bottle of cider?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ruth sick and nervous of late?
2. What is Mrs. Smith's attitude regarding her garden?
3. What is Jack Eccles supposed to be doing instead of playing golf?
4. Describe Nelson Angstrom.
5. Explain the significance of the title of the novel, particularly regarding the final passages.
6. Describe Tothero's living arrangements.
7. What does Harry realize about Tothero as they leave the Sunshine gym?
8. What job does Ruth now have and why did she get it?
9. Why does Harry resent Ruth's going to the bathroom after sex?
10. Why is Harry annoyed by his conversation with the farmer at the service station?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)