|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the punishment for running away?
2. Why do the girls want to speak up when Miss Campbell introduces them to the staff member?
3. What becomes a regular weekend event?
4. Who is the captain of the Koolinda, the ship that will take them south to Fremantle?
5. Why does Mr. Keeling advise the Department of Native Affairs that the half-caste children should be removed from Jigalong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is prejudice represented in this story? Who is prejudiced and why, and what does this cause? What is the author trying to tell the reader about prejudice, and how does she do this?
Essay Topic 2
Is there a 'bad guy' in this story? Who acts badly and why? Do people's motivations sometimes excuse their actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of human rights in this story. Who is not given proper rights, and what rights have been denied? Do the Aborigines have any more right to the land than the white people do?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)