|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author think the girls really saw?
2. What does the crewman teach them?
3. What do the girls want to ask him, but do not dare?
4. Who is the captain of the Koolinda, the ship that will take them south to Fremantle?
5. How does the sight of the large river make Molly feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author make the reader sympathetic to the Aborigines, and to the girls? Discuss her use of language and the structure of the book, as well as how various people in the story are presented to us.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the wildflowers, plants and animals in this story. Why are there so many descriptions of nature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss misunderstanding and poor communications in this book. What happens when two societies do not understand each other? Does anyone in the story ever not understand something, or get the wrong impression, or miss the point? What problems are caused by misunderstanding or miscommunication?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)