|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Aboriginal people make Jigalong a permanent 'sitting down place'?
2. Why does Mr. Keeling advise the Department of Native Affairs that the half-caste children should be removed from Jigalong?
3. What do the girls see as they come into the harbor, that makes them homesick?
4. What will actually happen to them?
5. What is the punishment for running away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss freedom in this story. How is it represented and what does the author say about it? How important is freedom? Who is free and who is not?
Essay Topic 2
In this story, white people dominate and oppress the Aboriginal people, and take their land away from them. The Aborigines cannot fight back, so the white people do what they want. Discuss the idea of 'might is right' and what the author is trying to tell us about it.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of human rights in this story. Who is not given proper rights, and what rights have been denied? Do the Aborigines have any more right to the land than the white people do?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)