|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arthur Carberry hope to achieve in Australia?
2. When they discover the white men, what is the Aboriginal men's first fear?
3. How do the white men try to break the Aboriginal culture?
4. What do the Aboriginals have to do to survive?
5. What flag do the soldiers raise on the shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do Daisy and Gracie trust Molly as a leader?
2. Why is Jigalong appealing to the Mardu people?
3. How do Aborigine people hunt and kill their food?
4. Has the author been trying to give the reader any messages by telling them this story?
5. Describe the grounds of Moore River.
6. Should Golda have been punished for killing the white men's steer? Was the way he was punished right?
7. What does Constable Melrose do with the girls at Marble Bar?
8. Is it fair that Bidgup and Meedo are sent to a penal colony?
9. What does Captain Fremantle do wrong when he tries to communicate?
10. Describe what happens when some white workers violate sacred Mardu land.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is prejudice represented in this story? Who is prejudiced and why, and what does this cause? What is the author trying to tell the reader about prejudice, and how does she do this?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Aborigine society with white society. What are the main differences? Are there any similarities? Does one society come across as better? Why do they clash?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of human rights in this story. Who is not given proper rights, and what rights have been denied? Do the Aborigines have any more right to the land than the white people do?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)