|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dora's father Lubin suggest?
2. When Golda spears one of the cattle, what happens to him?
3. As Australia's farms became more successful, what policy did the government introduce?
4. How long is the military outpost there for?
5. Why are teenage boys sent out into the Law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it fair that Bidgup and Meedo are sent to a penal colony?
2. What is the girls' reaction to Perth?
3. Describe the grounds of Moore River.
4. Do Kundilla and his people live a good life?
5. How do the white people at the depot react to the birth of the mixed race child?
6. Does Major Lockyear have a duty to protect Kundilla and his people?
7. Are the white men in chapter too greedy?
8. Why do you think the white people prevent the Aborigines from carrying out their traditional rituals and dances?
9. Are the girls ever in any really serious danger as they walk to Jigalong?
10. How do children at Moore River attempt to stay happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss identity. Why is identity important and who is it important to? How do the white people attempt to crush Aborigine identity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss misunderstanding and poor communications in this book. What happens when two societies do not understand each other? Does anyone in the story ever not understand something, or get the wrong impression, or miss the point? What problems are caused by misunderstanding or miscommunication?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of home and family in this story. How are these ideas different in Aborigine and white society? What do home and family mean to the girls? Are there any symbols of home?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)