|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was supposed to establish this first colony?
2. What flag do the soldiers raise on the shore?
3. As Australia's farms became more successful, what policy did the government introduce?
4. Why do the clans gather to set fire to areas of the brush?
5. Why are the women settlers upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways were the girls' lives similar?
2. Why are the Aborigines afraid of white men?
3. How is Maude different from other Aborigines?
4. Did anyone have a happy ending in this story?
5. Has the author been trying to give the reader any messages by telling them this story?
6. Should the Aborigines take more action against the white people in chapter two?
7. Why is Jigalong appealing to the Mardu people?
8. How are the girls feeling throughout their journey south to Moore River?
9. How do the Aboriginal people react to Captain Fremantle and the arrival of Stirling and his colonists?
10. What does Captain Fremantle do wrong when he tries to communicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Aborigine society with white society. What are the main differences? Are there any similarities? Does one society come across as better? Why do they clash?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of home and family in this story. How are these ideas different in Aborigine and white society? What do home and family mean to the girls? Are there any symbols of home?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author make the reader sympathetic to the Aborigines, and to the girls? Discuss her use of language and the structure of the book, as well as how various people in the story are presented to us.
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)