|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arthur Carberry hope to achieve in Australia?
2. When they discover the white men, what is the Aboriginal men's first fear?
3. How do the white men try to break the Aboriginal culture?
4. What do the Aboriginals have to do to survive?
5. What flag do the soldiers raise on the shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do Daisy and Gracie trust Molly as a leader?
2. Why is Jigalong appealing to the Mardu people?
3. How do Aborigine people hunt and kill their food?
4. Has the author been trying to give the reader any messages by telling them this story?
5. Describe the grounds of Moore River.
6. Should Golda have been punished for killing the white men's steer? Was the way he was punished right?
7. What does Constable Melrose do with the girls at Marble Bar?
8. Is it fair that Bidgup and Meedo are sent to a penal colony?
9. What does Captain Fremantle do wrong when he tries to communicate?
10. Describe what happens when some white workers violate sacred Mardu land.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss misunderstanding and poor communications in this book. What happens when two societies do not understand each other? Does anyone in the story ever not understand something, or get the wrong impression, or miss the point? What problems are caused by misunderstanding or miscommunication?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author make the reader sympathetic to the Aborigines, and to the girls? Discuss her use of language and the structure of the book, as well as how various people in the story are presented to us.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the author waited until chapter five before introducing the main girls? Why give us so much history in the previous chapters? Do you think this is effective?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)