|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange occurrence shatters the peace of the camp?
2. In chapter one, who is the first person mentioned in the book?
3. How does Dayup know that Captain Fremantle must be important?
4. In what ways do the Mardudjara people suffer?
5. Why did some Mardudjara people react violently to white construction workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the bravest character in this story?
2. Is Kundilla too trusting?
3. Do Daisy and Gracie trust Molly as a leader?
4. What could the wildflowers, plants and animals that the girls see symbolize?
5. Do the Aborigines do enough to fight back?
6. Did anyone have a happy ending in this story?
7. Describe life in an Aboriginal tribe.
8. Describe the grounds of Moore River.
9. Why are policies introduced to remove 'half-caste' children from their families to take them to places such as Moore River?
10. Why is Jigalong appealing to the Mardu people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the author waited until chapter five before introducing the main girls? Why give us so much history in the previous chapters? Do you think this is effective?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss identity. Why is identity important and who is it important to? How do the white people attempt to crush Aborigine identity?
Essay Topic 3
The rabbit-proof fence is a very important object in this book. Discuss the symbolism of the fence. What does it stand for and why? Does it mean different things to different people?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)