|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Molly give so that the three of them can stay behind when the other girls head out for school?
(a) She pretends that Daisy is sick.
(b) She says they have forgotten their school books, so they have to go back to their room to get them.
(c) She says they need to empty the toilet bucket.
(d) She pretends to still be asleep.
2. What do the girls at Moore River wear as shoes?
(a) Big, heavy snow boots.
(b) They do not have shoes.
(d) Thin bark slippers.
3. How does the grandmother protect the new baby from any evil spirits nearby?
(a) She sprinkles water on the baby.
(b) She insults the baby.
(c) She places a protective amulet around the baby's neck.
(d) She covers the baby in a special salve.
4. What will actually happen to them?
(a) They will be kept in a settlement for half-caste girls for the rest of their lives.
(b) They will be sent further away from their families to work on dairy farms.
(c) They will be sent to work as servants in England.
(d) They will be imprisoned.
5. What do some mothers choose to do, out of fear that their children will be taken from them?
(a) Kill the babies' white fathers.
(b) Leave Jigalong forever to go back into the desert.
(c) Hide their babies in animal skins.
(d) Give birth in the bush rather than hospitals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What precautions do the girls take when they think that their pursuers are close on their trail?
2. Who volunteers to be their guide at the settlement?
3. During the voyage, several members of the crew try to keep the girls entertained. What does one crewman tell them about?
4. What do the girls see as they come into the harbor, that makes them homesick?
5. What do a group of Aborigine men give the girls?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)