|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the girls meet a man on a bike while walking along the fence, what does the man do?
(a) Gives them food, then reports that he saw them.
(b) Captures them and calls the police.
(c) Chases them away from the fence.
(d) Ignores their pleas for food and rides away.
2. The girls meet two other half-caste girls, called Eva and Nora. What do these two girls think will happen to them soon?
(a) They will carry on with education and go to university.
(b) They will be given jobs at a school in the city.
(c) They will get a job on a station near their families.
(d) They will marry rich white men.
3. What does the crewman teach them?
(a) How to mend their clothes and shoes.
(b) To speak better English, so they will get on better at the settlement.
(c) How to sail a ship.
(d) How to find the Southern Cross, a star constellation that can guide them if they are lost.
4. Why is Molly confident that the tracker will not be able to follow them?
(a) They haven't lit any fires or left any signs along the way.
(b) He will assume they headed for the train station instead.
(c) They know he is in a different part of Australia at the moment.
(d) Their footprints will have been washed away by the rain.
5. What is 'the boob'?
(a) A torture device used for punishing bad children.
(b) A scary pit that girls are made to spend the night in as punishment.
(c) A building where the food is kept.
(d) A building where girls are locked up as punishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Molly and Gracie's family express their sorrow when the girls are taken?
2. What does the author think the girls really saw?
3. What do the girls want to ask him, but do not dare?
4. Why can't the girls eat the rabbit that Gracie catches?
5. What makes Molly think the dormitory looks like a jail?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)