|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Udja complains to a white magistrate that his wife has been stolen by a white man?
(a) He is given a bag of flour.
(b) He is whipped.
(c) He is given his wife back, but the white man is not punished.
(d) The white man is punished.
2. What are the white men compared to?
(a) A terrible storm.
(b) Flesh eating spirits.
(c) Stampeding herds.
(d) Bush fires out of control.
3. The Aboriginals at first believed that the white men were 'gengas.' What are gengas?
(b) Spirits of the ancestors.
(c) Mighty kings.
(d) Flesh eating monsters.
4. What is the Mardudjara?
(a) A settlement for Aboriginal people.
(b) Several tribes of Aboriginal people who live in the desert regions.
(c) An Aboriginal god.
(d) An area of Australia where beautiful flowers grow.
5. What do the group have to do in order to adapt to life with white people?
(a) Become Christian.
(b) Put clothes on.
(d) Learn English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the decision about when teenage boys are ready to go into the Law?
2. How much land had Captain Fremantle already claimed?
3. How do the white workers react to the violence?
4. Why do the soldiers abandon the military outpost?
5. Who set up a military base to get rid of the pirates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Overall, do the girls get treated badly on the journey?
2. Should the Aborigines take more action against the white people in chapter two?
3. In what ways were the girls' lives similar?
4. Is it fair that Bidgup and Meedo are sent to a penal colony?
5. How are the girls treated on the boat?
6. What could the wildflowers, plants and animals that the girls see symbolize?
7. What does Captain Fremantle do wrong when he tries to communicate?
8. Why is Kundilla respected?
9. Do the white people try to help the Aborigines?
10. Why has the arrival of white colonists been bad for the Aboriginal people?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)