|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the white men try to break the Aboriginal culture?
(a) They make it illegal for them to have children.
(b) They prevent them from doing their sacred rituals and dances.
(c) They force them to wear clothes.
(d) They enslave them.
2. What do the Aboriginals have to do to survive?
(a) Become Christian.
(b) Run away into the desert.
(c) Declare war on England.
(d) Become servants to white men and women.
3. What do Bidgup and Meedo decide to do about the food problem?
(a) Kill all the white people.
(b) Take the white women hostage.
(c) Move the whole tribe away into the desert.
(d) Take one of the white people's sheep.
4. Why are the Aboriginal laws important to them?
(a) They have been around for a very long time.
(b) They were the first laws in Australia before the white people came.
(c) They were established by the king of the Aboriginals.
(d) They were passed down by the Dreamtime spirit beings.
5. What is the Mardudjara?
(a) An area of Australia where beautiful flowers grow.
(b) An Aboriginal god.
(c) Several tribes of Aboriginal people who live in the desert regions.
(d) A settlement for Aboriginal people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Captain Fremantle name the colony?
2. Why don't the Aboriginals understand what Captain Fremantle is saying?
3. What do Yalbung and Beeboo hear when they are hunting near the river?
4. Who set up a military base to get rid of the pirates?
5. What do Dora's clan see coming through the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the white people give up the search for Molly and Daisy?
2. Why is Molly confident that they will be able to get home?
3. Describe what happens when some white workers violate sacred Mardu land.
4. Is there anything positive about Moore River?
5. Why did the first white men to encounter Aborigines in this area treat them so badly?
6. How do children at Moore River attempt to stay happy?
7. Describe the grounds of Moore River.
8. How do Maude's family react to her pregnancy?
9. Did anyone have a happy ending in this story?
10. Why does Captain Fremantle attempt to communicate with the Aborigines, and is he a good man for trying to do this?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)