|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kundilla conclude that the white soldiers mean them no harm?
(a) The soldiers offer them gifts in friendship.
(b) The soldiers capture two Aboriginal men but then let them go unharmed.
(c) The soldiers tell them they mean no harm.
(d) The soldiers are unarmed.
2. What does Captain Fremantle want?
(a) He wants their permission to name the area.
(b) He wants them to bring him and his men some food.
(c) He wants them to put some clothes on.
(d) He wants to teach them about white men and their society.
3. Why are the women settlers upset?
(a) Because they are afraid of the Aboriginals.
(b) Because the Aboriginals are not wearing clothes.
(c) Because they are hungry.
(d) Because the rain is destroying their possessions.
4. Who was supposed to establish this first colony?
(a) Arthur Carberry.
(b) Constable Riggs.
(c) Captain James Stirling.
(d) Captain Freeman.
5. How does the Illustrated Melbourne Post say the Aboriginal people reacted to this act of goodwill?
(a) With gratitude.
(b) They were angry.
(c) They refused it.
(d) They did not understand.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what ways do the Mardudjara people suffer?
2. How do the white men try to break the Aboriginal culture?
3. Why are the Aboriginals upset that they are being tried under English law?
4. Why did some Mardudjara people react violently to white construction workers?
5. The Aboriginals at first believed that the white men were 'gengas.' What are gengas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Aborigines afraid of white men?
2. Are the white men in chapter too greedy?
3. How are the girls treated on the boat?
4. Who behaves the worst in this book?
5. Do the Aborigines do enough to fight back?
6. Should the Aborigines take more action against the white people in chapter two?
7. Why does Captain Stirling crash his ship?
8. Describe how Molly and the girls escape Moore River.
9. Why are policies introduced to remove 'half-caste' children from their families to take them to places such as Moore River?
10. Do the Aborigines receive justice in chapter three?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)