|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Aboriginal people forced to accept the white men's system of justice and punishment?
(a) They believe that the white men are right.
(b) The white men have superior weapons.
(c) The Queen tells them to.
(d) They don't believe in violence.
2. What is the Mardudjara?
(a) An Aboriginal god.
(b) An area of Australia where beautiful flowers grow.
(c) A settlement for Aboriginal people.
(d) Several tribes of Aboriginal people who live in the desert regions.
3. How do the Mardudjara people feel about their work?
(a) They do not understand it and often do a bad job.
(b) They are angered by it, and plot revenge.
(c) They see it as exploitation.
(d) They see it as a form of kindness.
4. What were the white construction workers doing?
(a) Laying railway tracks.
(b) Building a barn.
(c) Sinking wells.
(d) Building houses.
5. How long had the red desert been the home of the Mardudjara people before they left?
(a) Almost 2,000 years.
(b) 100 years.
(c) Over 40,000 years.
(d) Under 10 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Captain Fremantle?
2. What does Captain Fremantle name the area?
3. How does Dayup know that Captain Fremantle must be important?
4. Who set up a military base to get rid of the pirates?
5. How do the Mardudjara people interact with the white station owners?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the arrival of white colonists been bad for the Aboriginal people?
2. How do children at Moore River attempt to stay happy?
3. Do Daisy and Gracie trust Molly as a leader?
4. How do Maude's family react to her pregnancy?
5. Did anyone have a happy ending in this story?
6. Do the Aborigines do enough to fight back?
7. Is Moore River a nice place?
8. Who is the bravest character in this story?
9. Is it fair that Bidgup and Meedo are sent to a penal colony?
10. What does Constable Melrose do with the girls at Marble Bar?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)