|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Captain Fremantle want?
(a) He wants them to put some clothes on.
(b) He wants to teach them about white men and their society.
(c) He wants them to bring him and his men some food.
(d) He wants their permission to name the area.
2. When they discover the white men, what is the Aboriginal men's first fear?
(a) That they will take their land.
(b) That they will try to kill all the Aboriginals in the camp.
(c) That they will anger the spirits.
(d) That they will take away the women.
3. Why did some Mardudjara people react violently to white construction workers?
(a) The workers burned down large areas of brush to build on.
(b) The workers refused to share their food.
(c) The workers killed a Mardudjara tribe on the site.
(d) The workers dug up a sacred site.
4. Who was supposed to establish this first colony?
(a) Constable Riggs.
(b) Captain James Stirling.
(c) Arthur Carberry.
(d) Captain Freeman.
5. How do the Aboriginal people sleep?
(a) In brick houses.
(b) In widened-out rabbit burrows.
(c) In shelters made from branches and bark.
(d) In small mud huts.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Aboriginals at first believed that the white men were 'gengas.' What are gengas?
2. In what century was the military outpost established on the shores of Western Australia?
3. How is this carried out?
4. How much land had Captain Fremantle already claimed?
5. Why do the clans gather to set fire to areas of the brush?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the grounds of Moore River.
2. Is there anything positive about Moore River?
3. The girls meet other mixed race girls at the girls' home in Perth. How have these girls been misled?
4. Who is the bravest character in this story?
5. Who behaves the worst in this book?
6. Do Daisy and Gracie trust Molly as a leader?
7. Is Kundilla too trusting?
8. Has the author been trying to give the reader any messages by telling them this story?
9. How are the girls treated on the boat?
10. Describe how Molly and the girls escape Moore River.
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)