|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the white workers react to the violence?
(a) They take more of the Mardudjara land as compensation.
(b) They leave.
(c) They kill some of the Mardudjara people in their sleep.
(d) They report the Mardudjara people to the authorities.
2. What happens when Udja complains to a white magistrate that his wife has been stolen by a white man?
(a) The white man is punished.
(b) He is given a bag of flour.
(c) He is given his wife back, but the white man is not punished.
(d) He is whipped.
3. Who was supposed to establish this first colony?
(a) Constable Riggs.
(b) Captain Freeman.
(c) Captain James Stirling.
(d) Arthur Carberry.
4. How does Captain Fremantle try to communicate when he realizes they don't understand him?
(a) He writes it down instead.
(b) He tries to use sign language.
(c) He draws pictures in the sand.
(d) He gets a translator.
5. Who set up a military base to get rid of the pirates?
(a) Captain Fremantle.
(b) Captain Freeman.
(c) Major Edmund Lockyer.
(d) The Chief Protector of Aborigines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Yalbung and Beeboo hear when they are hunting near the river?
2. How much land had Captain Fremantle already claimed?
3. Why are the Aboriginals afraid of white men?
4. How are black servants paid?
5. Why are the Aboriginals upset that they are being tried under English law?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the girls treated on the boat?
2. How do the other children treat Molly, and why do you think they react to her this way?
3. Do the Aborigines do enough to fight back?
4. Did anyone have a happy ending in this story?
5. How do the white people at the depot react to the birth of the mixed race child?
6. Do Daisy and Gracie trust Molly as a leader?
7. Why have the colonists come to Australia?
8. How do Maude's family react to her pregnancy?
9. Should Golda have been punished for killing the white men's steer? Was the way he was punished right?
10. Why are policies introduced to remove 'half-caste' children from their families to take them to places such as Moore River?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)