|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the white construction workers doing?
(a) Building a barn.
(b) Laying railway tracks.
(c) Sinking wells.
(d) Building houses.
2. What were the new settlers advised to do?
(a) Keep up their Englishness.
(b) Take as much land as possible.
(c) Try to destroy Aboriginal culture.
(d) Shoot all Aboriginals.
3. What does Captain Fremantle want?
(a) He wants to teach them about white men and their society.
(b) He wants them to bring him and his men some food.
(c) He wants their permission to name the area.
(d) He wants them to put some clothes on.
4. What do the group have to do in order to adapt to life with white people?
(b) Become Christian.
(c) Learn English.
(d) Put clothes on.
5. What nationality is Captain Fremantle?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the first European settlers arrive in Western Australia?
2. What animal does Arthur Carberry bring to Australia with him?
3. What did Captain Fremantle name the colony?
4. How many wives does Kundilla have?
5. What happens when Udja complains to a white magistrate that his wife has been stolen by a white man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are the white men in chapter too greedy?
2. Describe what happens when some white workers violate sacred Mardu land.
3. How are the girls treated on the boat?
4. Has the author been trying to give the reader any messages by telling them this story?
5. The colonists are told to 'keep up their Englishness.' What does this involve? Why might they be asked to do this?
6. Describe the grounds of Moore River.
7. Overall, do the girls get treated badly on the journey?
8. Who behaves the worst in this book?
9. Why are the Aborigines afraid of white men?
10. How do Maude's family react to her pregnancy?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)