|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Molly think the dormitory looks like a jail?
(a) It is a black, imposing building with a high wall around it.
(b) There are no windows.
(c) The doors are padlocked and there are bars at the windows.
(d) There are guards and guard-dogs outside.
2. On their walk around the grounds, what do they see a group of the children doing near the milking sheds?
(a) Huddling together for warmth.
(b) Playing rounders.
(c) Stealing extra food.
(d) Trying to escape.
3. Where do the girls spend their first night on the run?
(a) In a hollowed out rabbit burrow.
(b) Hidden in a barn.
(c) Out in the open, wrapped in their spare clothes.
(d) Under a tree.
4. Where do they spend the night before traveling on to Moore River?
(a) Inside the car.
(b) A settlement at Mogumber.
(c) The East Perth Girl's Home.
(d) A hotel in Perth.
5. Why does the Protector of Aborigines think there is no point in trying to recapture Molly and Daisy?
(a) They obviously think of themselves as black.
(b) They would have to be separated or locked up, and this would be worse than being in the bush.
(c) They would become violent if forced away from their families again.
(d) They would only keep escaping again, because they know how to survive in the bush.
6. What did Mr. Keeling, the Superintendent at Jigalong depot, write in a letter that was ignored?
(a) That the half-caste children might be dangerous if placed into white society.
(b) That the half-caste children would be very unhappy if taken away from their families.
(c) That the Aborigines would become violent if their children were taken away.
(d) That the half-caste children tend more towards black culture than white.
7. Who names the baby Molly?
(a) The father.
(c) Maude's father.
(d) The baby's grandmother.
8. What do a group of Aborigine men give the girls?
(a) Food and water.
(c) Shoes and coats.
(d) Matches and salt.
9. When the girls hear footsteps they quickly hide. What do the girls think they see?
(a) A strange animal.
(b) A witch.
(c) One of their gods.
(d) A flesh-eating spirit.
10. How do Maude's family feel about their new boss, the maintenance inspector?
(a) He is cruel and they hate him.
(b) They think he is funny and they often mock him.
(c) They do not understand him.
(d) They like him and invite him to share meals.
11. Who does Constable Riggs hand the girls over to here?
(a) The headmistress of Moore River School.
(b) Constable Melrose.
(c) The Chief Protector of Aborigines.
(d) Gracie's family.
12. Why does Gracie leave the other two girls?
(a) To turn herself in to the authorities so that she can get some food.
(b) She is cold and wants to ask for blankets at a nearby farm.
(c) To get a train to the settlement where her mother lives.
(d) She is sick of being bossed around by Molly and wants to continue on her own.
13. Why does Mrs. Flannigan call the Superintendent of the Moore River Settlement to tell him that the girls were at her house?
(a) She is concerned for their safety.
(b) She believes that they should be kept away from their black families.
(c) She is annoyed that they asked her for food.
(d) She is afraid of them.
14. Why does Martha warn the girls not to go near the cave?
(a) There are strange hairy creatures living in it.
(b) It is off limits and they will be punished if they are caught.
(c) It is very dark inside and they might get lost.
(d) It is slippery and dangerous.
15. Why are the girls frightened when they get off the boat?
(a) They do not know where they are being taken.
(b) They see men with guns.
(c) There are strange animals everywhere.
(d) The port is very crowded and noisy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the girls told they are not allowed to do at the school?
2. Where do they stop off to hand the sick Aboriginal women over to the hospital?
3. What do the girls want to ask him, but do not dare?
4. Who do the girls meet at Station 594, near Jigalong?
5. Where do the girls spend the night before moving on?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)