|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Molly confident that the tracker will not be able to follow them?
(a) They haven't lit any fires or left any signs along the way.
(b) Their footprints will have been washed away by the rain.
(c) He will assume they headed for the train station instead.
(d) They know he is in a different part of Australia at the moment.
2. Where does the policeman tell the girls they are going?
(a) To Perth.
(b) To Port Headland to catch a boat south.
(c) He does not tell them where they are going.
(d) To a new home to the south.
3. Where do the girls spend the night before moving on?
(a) On the floor at the constable's house.
(b) Locked in the empty cells in the police station.
(c) In a nearby Aborigine settlement.
(d) In the car.
4. What excuse does Molly give so that the three of them can stay behind when the other girls head out for school?
(a) She says they need to empty the toilet bucket.
(b) She pretends to still be asleep.
(c) She says they have forgotten their school books, so they have to go back to their room to get them.
(d) She pretends that Daisy is sick.
5. During the voyage, several members of the crew try to keep the girls entertained. What does one crewman tell them about?
(a) The pyramids of Egypt.
(c) The ruins of ancient Rome.
6. What does the crewman teach them?
(a) How to mend their clothes and shoes.
(b) To speak better English, so they will get on better at the settlement.
(c) How to find the Southern Cross, a star constellation that can guide them if they are lost.
(d) How to sail a ship.
7. Why do new arrivals at the school create hope?
(a) The children hope that the new arrivals might be able to escape.
(b) The children hope for news from back home.
(c) The children hope that the new arrivals will be their friends.
(d) The children hope that the new arrivals will get picked on instead of them.
8. What do the girls see as they come into the harbor, that makes them homesick?
(a) A huge water tank, like those at the depot at Jigalong.
(b) A wheat silo with a picture of a red dingo on it, which they recognize from flour sacks given to Aborigine people at Jigalong.
(c) The rabbit-proof fence.
(d) A food factory with a picture of a yellow chicken on it, which they recognize from food packets given to Aborigine people at Jigalong.
9. Why does Martha warn the girls not to go near the cave?
(a) It is slippery and dangerous.
(b) There are strange hairy creatures living in it.
(c) It is off limits and they will be punished if they are caught.
(d) It is very dark inside and they might get lost.
10. Why can't the girls eat the rabbit that Gracie catches?
(a) Their bodies are not used to meat, so they will be ill.
(b) It is too small, so there isn't enough meat on it.
(c) They have no matches to start a fire.
(d) They think rabbits are poisonous to eat.
11. Why does Molly sometimes wish she didn't have light skin?
(a) The other children insult her.
(b) She is afraid she will be taken away.
(c) She thinks darker skin is prettier.
(d) She thinks the spirits will hate her.
12. Why does Mrs. Flannigan call the Superintendent of the Moore River Settlement to tell him that the girls were at her house?
(a) She is annoyed that they asked her for food.
(b) She is concerned for their safety.
(c) She believes that they should be kept away from their black families.
(d) She is afraid of them.
13. How old is Daisy?
14. What makes Molly think the dormitory looks like a jail?
(a) It is a black, imposing building with a high wall around it.
(b) There are no windows.
(c) The doors are padlocked and there are bars at the windows.
(d) There are guards and guard-dogs outside.
15. As they go through the city, what suddenly frightens the girls?
(a) A ship's horn.
(b) A gunshot.
(c) A church bell.
(d) A tram.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the girls reach the heathlands, what do they see?
2. How does the sight of the large river make Molly feel?
3. How does Molly's father interact with his child?
4. What does Molly decide that night?
5. Why was Jiigalong established?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)