|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Protector of Aborigines think there is no point in trying to recapture Molly and Daisy?
(a) They obviously think of themselves as black.
(b) They would become violent if forced away from their families again.
(c) They would have to be separated or locked up, and this would be worse than being in the bush.
(d) They would only keep escaping again, because they know how to survive in the bush.
2. What do the girls think of the city?
(a) They think it is noisy and unfriendly.
(b) They think it is exciting.
(c) They think it is wonderful.
(d) They find it boring.
3. What is the usual breakfast?
(a) Toast and jam.
(b) A glass of water flavored with sugar.
(c) Cold stew.
(d) Weevily porridge.
4. Why can't the girls eat the rabbit that Gracie catches?
(a) It is too small, so there isn't enough meat on it.
(b) They have no matches to start a fire.
(c) Their bodies are not used to meat, so they will be ill.
(d) They think rabbits are poisonous to eat.
5. Where does the policeman tell the girls they are going?
(a) He does not tell them where they are going.
(b) To Port Headland to catch a boat south.
(c) To Perth.
(d) To a new home to the south.
6. How does Molly's father interact with his child?
(a) Tries to teach her to be English.
(b) Takes her away.
(c) Brings her gifts.
(d) Refuses to have anything to do with her.
7. What does Molly decide that night?
(a) That they must play along with the rules so that they are not punished.
(b) That they must escape.
(c) That she must protect Gracie and Daisy.
(d) That she will never accept white culture.
8. Why does Gracie leave the other two girls?
(a) To turn herself in to the authorities so that she can get some food.
(b) She is sick of being bossed around by Molly and wants to continue on her own.
(c) She is cold and wants to ask for blankets at a nearby farm.
(d) To get a train to the settlement where her mother lives.
9. The girls meet two other half-caste girls, called Eva and Nora. What do these two girls think will happen to them soon?
(a) They will carry on with education and go to university.
(b) They will marry rich white men.
(c) They will be given jobs at a school in the city.
(d) They will get a job on a station near their families.
10. When the girls hear footsteps they quickly hide. What do the girls think they see?
(a) A strange animal.
(b) A witch.
(c) A flesh-eating spirit.
(d) One of their gods.
11. When do Aboriginal girls marry?
(a) Aboriginal people do not have a concept of marriage.
(b) At twenty-five.
(c) As adolescents.
(d) Between five and ten years old.
12. Why do new arrivals at the school create hope?
(a) The children hope that the new arrivals will be their friends.
(b) The children hope for news from back home.
(c) The children hope that the new arrivals will get picked on instead of them.
(d) The children hope that the new arrivals might be able to escape.
13. What precautions do the girls take when they think that their pursuers are close on their trail?
(a) They stay away from homesteads and don't light fires.
(b) They abandon the rabbit-proof fence and cut across the desert.
(c) They only travel at night.
(d) They cover themselves in dirt so that they look more like black children.
14. What is the punishment for running away?
(a) They are locked away from the other children permanently.
(b) They are branded with a mark that identifies them as runaways.
(c) Their heads are shaved and they are whipped.
(d) They are not allowed meat for a month.
15. How does the Superintendent feel about the baby?
(a) He says nice things.
(b) He is embarrassed that she was born at his station.
(c) He thinks she is disgusting.
(d) He is angry with Maude.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls want to ask him, but do not dare?
2. Why is Jigalong appealing to the Aborigines?
3. Why does Molly think she is too old for school?
4. What do the girls see as they come into the harbor, that makes them homesick?
5. What becomes a regular weekend event?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)