|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the military outpost there for?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One year.
2. Why does Kundilla conclude that the white soldiers mean them no harm?
(a) The soldiers tell them they mean no harm.
(b) The soldiers capture two Aboriginal men but then let them go unharmed.
(c) The soldiers are unarmed.
(d) The soldiers offer them gifts in friendship.
3. What do Yalbung and Beeboo hear when they are hunting near the river?
(b) A ship's horn.
(c) Roars of dangerous animals.
(d) Men's voices and cries of frightened women.
4. What does Arthur Carberry hope to achieve in Australia?
(a) He wants to join the army.
(b) He wants to send money home to his sick mother.
(c) He wants to find an Aboriginal to be his slave.
(d) He wants to find good land and become rich.
5. How does Dayup know that Captain Fremantle must be important?
(a) Because the other men salute him.
(b) Because he is wearing a uniform.
(c) Because they recognize his picture from the newspaper.
(d) Because he tells them he is in charge.
6. Why are the Aboriginals afraid of white men?
(a) Because they had received threatening letters from them.
(b) Because they were afraid of the strange colour of their skin.
(c) Because they had seen white men fighting from a distance.
(d) Because white pirates had already killed men and taken women as sex slaves.
7. What were the new settlers advised to do?
(a) Take as much land as possible.
(b) Shoot all Aboriginals.
(c) Try to destroy Aboriginal culture.
(d) Keep up their Englishness.
8. How do the settlers allocate land?
(a) The Aboriginals decide.
(b) They are allowed to choose land wherever they want.
(c) Each person is given a grant of land by the English government.
(d) The land is bought off the Aboriginals.
9. How do the Aboriginals cut their meat?
(a) With knives and forks.
(b) With their teeth.
(c) With sharp stones.
(d) With bears' teeth.
10. What is the Canning Stock Route?
(a) A railway.
(b) A long line of wells stretching across the desert.
(c) A trail used for transporting prisoners.
(d) A trade route.
11. What do Bidgup and Meedo decide to do about the food problem?
(a) Take one of the white people's sheep.
(b) Kill all the white people.
(c) Move the whole tribe away into the desert.
(d) Take the white women hostage.
12. Why did some Mardudjara people react violently to white construction workers?
(a) The workers killed a Mardudjara tribe on the site.
(b) The workers dug up a sacred site.
(c) The workers refused to share their food.
(d) The workers burned down large areas of brush to build on.
13. Why do the clans gather to set fire to areas of the brush?
(a) For a religious ritual.
(b) To drive off the white men.
(c) To flush out animals, which are caught and eaten.
(d) To clear an area to build houses on.
14. What punishment are Bidgup and Meedo given?
(a) They are whipped.
(b) They are forced into slavery.
(c) Imprisonment in a Penal Colony.
(d) They are hung.
15. Why do the soldiers abandon the military outpost?
(a) Isolation and lack of weapons make them vulnerable.
(b) There is a large storm coming.
(c) They do not have enough food.
(d) The Aboriginal men fight them off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the white men compared to?
2. How did the first white invaders trick the Aboriginal men?
3. When did the first European settlers arrive in Western Australia?
4. How do the white workers react to the violence?
5. What kind of weather is it always successful to hunt in?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)