|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did some Mardudjara people react violently to white construction workers?
(a) The workers killed a Mardudjara tribe on the site.
(b) The workers refused to share their food.
(c) The workers dug up a sacred site.
(d) The workers burned down large areas of brush to build on.
2. What did the Aboriginal people discover too late?
(a) How to use guns.
(b) That all their beliefs are false.
(c) A secret hiding place from the white men.
(d) That the white men are human beings and not spirits.
3. Who set up a military base to get rid of the pirates?
(a) Captain Freeman.
(b) Captain Fremantle.
(c) The Chief Protector of Aborigines.
(d) Major Edmund Lockyer.
4. How do they justify this?
(a) The food should be shared.
(b) The spirits of the ancestors told them to.
(c) They will die if they do not.
(d) The white people are evil.
5. How much land had Captain Fremantle already claimed?
(a) One million square miles.
(b) Five acres.
(c) One hundred thousand acres.
(d) One hundred miles.
6. How do the Mardudjara people feel about their work?
(a) They see it as a form of kindness.
(b) They see it as exploitation.
(c) They do not understand it and often do a bad job.
(d) They are angered by it, and plot revenge.
7. Why are the Aboriginal laws important to them?
(a) They were the first laws in Australia before the white people came.
(b) They have been around for a very long time.
(c) They were established by the king of the Aboriginals.
(d) They were passed down by the Dreamtime spirit beings.
8. How do the settlers allocate land?
(a) The land is bought off the Aboriginals.
(b) They are allowed to choose land wherever they want.
(c) The Aboriginals decide.
(d) Each person is given a grant of land by the English government.
9. Why are teenage boys sent out into the Law?
(a) To find a new clan to join.
(b) To gather firewood.
(c) To become men.
(d) To fight white men.
10. What animal does Arthur Carberry bring to Australia with him?
11. Why are the Aboriginals upset that they are being tried under English law?
(a) Because their own laws and customs are not being respected.
(b) Because their gods will be angry.
(c) Because they would rather be tried under French law.
(d) Because the English people have no right to be there.
12. Why are the women settlers upset?
(a) Because they are afraid of the Aboriginals.
(b) Because the Aboriginals are not wearing clothes.
(c) Because they are hungry.
(d) Because the rain is destroying their possessions.
13. Who is Yellagonga?
(a) A peace-loving tribal leader.
(b) A war-loving tribal leader.
(c) A powerful spirit ancestor.
(d) An Aboriginal god.
14. What do Yalbung and Beeboo see when they investigate the noise?
(a) White men fighting each other on the beach.
(b) Animals attacking their camp.
(c) White men carrying off Aboriginal women.
(d) White men and women, and their belongings, on the beach.
15. What punishment are Bidgup and Meedo given?
(a) They are hung.
(b) They are forced into slavery.
(c) They are whipped.
(d) Imprisonment in a Penal Colony.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Canning Stock Route?
2. The Aboriginals at first believed that the white men were 'gengas.' What are gengas?
3. What do Bidgup and Meedo decide to do about the food problem?
4. In what ways do the Mardudjara people suffer?
5. Why don't the Aboriginals understand what Captain Fremantle is saying?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)