|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Yalbung and Beeboo hear when they are hunting near the river?
(b) Men's voices and cries of frightened women.
(c) Roars of dangerous animals.
(d) A ship's horn.
2. How do the white workers react to the violence?
(a) They leave.
(b) They take more of the Mardudjara land as compensation.
(c) They report the Mardudjara people to the authorities.
(d) They kill some of the Mardudjara people in their sleep.
3. How does Dayup know that Captain Fremantle must be important?
(a) Because he tells them he is in charge.
(b) Because they recognize his picture from the newspaper.
(c) Because he is wearing a uniform.
(d) Because the other men salute him.
4. What is established as an act of goodwill on Queen Victoria's birthday?
(a) All the land is given back to the Aboriginals.
(b) Aboriginal servants are given a holiday.
(c) Money is given to the Aboriginals.
(d) Free blankets are given to the Aboriginals.
5. The Aboriginals at first believed that the white men were 'gengas.' What are gengas?
(b) Mighty kings.
(c) Flesh eating monsters.
(d) Spirits of the ancestors.
6. When did the first European settlers arrive in Western Australia?
7. By what name are the Mardudjara people referred to?
(c) The Desert People.
8. What were the white construction workers doing?
(a) Laying railway tracks.
(b) Building a barn.
(c) Sinking wells.
(d) Building houses.
9. What happens when Udja complains to a white magistrate that his wife has been stolen by a white man?
(a) He is given a bag of flour.
(b) He is whipped.
(c) He is given his wife back, but the white man is not punished.
(d) The white man is punished.
10. What weapons do the Aboriginal men use to hunt with?
11. How does the Illustrated Melbourne Post say the Aboriginal people reacted to this act of goodwill?
(a) They did not understand.
(b) They refused it.
(c) They were angry.
(d) With gratitude.
12. What is the name of Captain Fremantle's gunboat?
13. Why are the Aboriginals upset that they are being tried under English law?
(a) Because their gods will be angry.
(b) Because their own laws and customs are not being respected.
(c) Because they would rather be tried under French law.
(d) Because the English people have no right to be there.
14. Who is Yellagonga?
(a) A powerful spirit ancestor.
(b) A peace-loving tribal leader.
(c) An Aboriginal god.
(d) A war-loving tribal leader.
15. How do the settlers allocate land?
(a) The land is bought off the Aboriginals.
(b) They are allowed to choose land wherever they want.
(c) Each person is given a grant of land by the English government.
(d) The Aboriginals decide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the soldiers abandon the military outpost?
2. Why does Kundilla conclude that the white soldiers mean them no harm?
3. What punishment are Bidgup and Meedo given?
4. When they discover the white men, what is the Aboriginal men's first fear?
5. How did the first white invaders trick the Aboriginal men?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)