|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Mardudjara?
(a) A settlement for Aboriginal people.
(b) An area of Australia where beautiful flowers grow.
(c) Several tribes of Aboriginal people who live in the desert regions.
(d) An Aboriginal god.
2. How are black servants paid?
(a) With warm blankets.
(b) With rice.
(c) They are not paid with anything.
(d) With money.
3. What do Yalbung and Beeboo see when they investigate the noise?
(a) White men and women, and their belongings, on the beach.
(b) Animals attacking their camp.
(c) White men fighting each other on the beach.
(d) White men carrying off Aboriginal women.
4. What does Captain Fremantle want?
(a) He wants their permission to name the area.
(b) He wants to teach them about white men and their society.
(c) He wants them to bring him and his men some food.
(d) He wants them to put some clothes on.
5. What are Bidgup and Meedo worried about?
(a) That they will have to work for the white people.
(b) That the white people will declare war on them.
(c) That they will be driven from their lands.
(d) That the spirits of the ancestors will be angry.
6. How do the settlers allocate land?
(a) The Aboriginals decide.
(b) The land is bought off the Aboriginals.
(c) They are allowed to choose land wherever they want.
(d) Each person is given a grant of land by the English government.
7. How many wives does Kundilla have?
8. In what century was the military outpost established on the shores of Western Australia?
9. How do the Aboriginal people sleep?
(a) In brick houses.
(b) In shelters made from branches and bark.
(c) In widened-out rabbit burrows.
(d) In small mud huts.
10. What does Dora show the children how to make?
11. By what name are the Mardudjara people referred to?
(a) The Desert People.
12. How do the white workers react to the violence?
(a) They kill some of the Mardudjara people in their sleep.
(b) They leave.
(c) They report the Mardudjara people to the authorities.
(d) They take more of the Mardudjara land as compensation.
13. How did the first white invaders trick the Aboriginal men?
(a) They told them there was good land further down the coast.
(b) They offered to take them to an island, then left them there.
(c) They pretended to be gods.
(d) They offered them poisoned food.
14. The Aboriginals at first believed that the white men were 'gengas.' What are gengas?
(a) Spirits of the ancestors.
(b) Flesh eating monsters.
(d) Mighty kings.
15. Why do the clans gather to set fire to areas of the brush?
(a) To drive off the white men.
(b) To clear an area to build houses on.
(c) To flush out animals, which are caught and eaten.
(d) For a religious ritual.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Golda spears one of the cattle, what happens to him?
2. When they discover the white men, what is the Aboriginal men's first fear?
3. How long is the military outpost there for?
4. How do the Mardudjara people feel about their work?
5. What do the Aboriginals have to do to survive?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)