|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Captain crash the ship?
(a) He was drunk.
(b) He was shocked by the sight of Captain Fremantle's boat already in the estuary.
(c) He saw the Aboriginals and thought they would make good servants.
(d) He wasn't watching where he was going.
2. By what name are the Mardudjara people referred to?
(a) The Desert People.
3. Why did some Mardudjara people react violently to white construction workers?
(a) The workers refused to share their food.
(b) The workers killed a Mardudjara tribe on the site.
(c) The workers burned down large areas of brush to build on.
(d) The workers dug up a sacred site.
4. How does Dayup know that Captain Fremantle must be important?
(a) Because the other men salute him.
(b) Because he tells them he is in charge.
(c) Because they recognize his picture from the newspaper.
(d) Because he is wearing a uniform.
5. How long had the red desert been the home of the Mardudjara people before they left?
(a) Almost 2,000 years.
(b) Under 10 years.
(c) Over 40,000 years.
(d) 100 years.
6. What is the Canning Stock Route?
(a) A trail used for transporting prisoners.
(b) A railway.
(c) A long line of wells stretching across the desert.
(d) A trade route.
7. In chapter one, who is the first person mentioned in the book?
(b) Captain Fremantle.
8. How do the Mardudjara people interact with the white station owners?
(a) They train as stockmen and domestic help.
(b) They trade animal skins for food and tobacco.
(c) They are captured and used as slaves by the white men.
(d) They steal food from them.
9. What flag do the soldiers raise on the shore?
(a) The Union Jack (the British flag).
(b) The Jolly Roger (a pirate flag).
(c) The Stars and Stripes (the American flag).
(d) The Flag of Australia.
10. Why are the women settlers upset?
(a) Because they are hungry.
(b) Because they are afraid of the Aboriginals.
(c) Because the Aboriginals are not wearing clothes.
(d) Because the rain is destroying their possessions.
11. When Golda spears one of the cattle, what happens to him?
(a) He is captured and whipped by the white men.
(b) He is kicked and killed by the panicked animal.
(c) He is shot dead by the white men.
(d) He is captured and taken away by the white men.
12. Why can't Bidgup and Meedo use their usual hunting trails?
(a) There are houses built on them.
(b) The white people have made hunting illegal.
(c) They are blocked by fences.
(d) All the animals have been frightened away.
13. What did Captain Fremantle name the colony?
(b) Moore River Settlement.
(d) Swan River Colony.
14. How do the Aboriginal people sleep?
(a) In brick houses.
(b) In small mud huts.
(c) In widened-out rabbit burrows.
(d) In shelters made from branches and bark.
15. How is this carried out?
(a) Building very grand houses.
(b) Sending out patrols into the bush.
(c) Taking Aboriginals as servants.
(d) Picnics, fox-hunts and balls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wives does Kundilla have?
2. What were the white construction workers doing?
3. How do the Aboriginals cut their meat?
4. What happens when Udja complains to a white magistrate that his wife has been stolen by a white man?
5. What strange occurrence shatters the peace of the camp?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)