|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Udja complains to a white magistrate that his wife has been stolen by a white man?
(a) He is whipped.
(b) The white man is punished.
(c) He is given a bag of flour.
(d) He is given his wife back, but the white man is not punished.
2. What do Yalbung and Beeboo see when they investigate the noise?
(a) White men fighting each other on the beach.
(b) Animals attacking their camp.
(c) White men carrying off Aboriginal women.
(d) White men and women, and their belongings, on the beach.
3. How does the Illustrated Melbourne Post say the Aboriginal people reacted to this act of goodwill?
(a) They did not understand.
(b) They were angry.
(c) They refused it.
(d) With gratitude.
4. When they discover the white men, what is the Aboriginal men's first fear?
(a) That they will anger the spirits.
(b) That they will take their land.
(c) That they will take away the women.
(d) That they will try to kill all the Aboriginals in the camp.
5. What do Dora's clan see coming through the desert?
(a) A train.
(b) White men droving a large herd of cattle.
(c) White men on a hunting trip.
(d) An army of white men.
6. How long is the military outpost there for?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) Five years.
7. Why did some Mardudjara people react violently to white construction workers?
(a) The workers dug up a sacred site.
(b) The workers killed a Mardudjara tribe on the site.
(c) The workers burned down large areas of brush to build on.
(d) The workers refused to share their food.
8. Why are the women settlers upset?
(a) Because the rain is destroying their possessions.
(b) Because they are afraid of the Aboriginals.
(c) Because they are hungry.
(d) Because the Aboriginals are not wearing clothes.
9. What animal does Arthur Carberry bring to Australia with him?
10. Why are the Aboriginal laws important to them?
(a) They were the first laws in Australia before the white people came.
(b) They were established by the king of the Aboriginals.
(c) They have been around for a very long time.
(d) They were passed down by the Dreamtime spirit beings.
11. What do the Aboriginals have to do to survive?
(a) Run away into the desert.
(b) Become servants to white men and women.
(c) Declare war on England.
(d) Become Christian.
12. The Aboriginals at first believed that the white men were 'gengas.' What are gengas?
(a) Flesh eating monsters.
(c) Mighty kings.
(d) Spirits of the ancestors.
13. What does Dora show the children how to make?
14. Who is Yellagonga?
(a) A war-loving tribal leader.
(b) A peace-loving tribal leader.
(c) A powerful spirit ancestor.
(d) An Aboriginal god.
15. By what name are the Mardudjara people referred to?
(d) The Desert People.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bidgup and Meedo decide to do about the food problem?
2. Why does Kundilla conclude that the white soldiers mean them no harm?
3. What strange occurrence shatters the peace of the camp?
4. How does Captain Fremantle try to communicate when he realizes they don't understand him?
5. What did the Aboriginal people discover too late?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)