|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the first white invaders trick the Aboriginal men?
(a) They offered to take them to an island, then left them there.
(b) They told them there was good land further down the coast.
(c) They offered them poisoned food.
(d) They pretended to be gods.
2. Who was supposed to establish this first colony?
(a) Captain Freeman.
(b) Arthur Carberry.
(c) Captain James Stirling.
(d) Constable Riggs.
3. What animal does Arthur Carberry bring to Australia with him?
4. By what name are the Mardudjara people referred to?
(d) The Desert People.
5. How do the white men try to break the Aboriginal culture?
(a) They prevent them from doing their sacred rituals and dances.
(b) They enslave them.
(c) They force them to wear clothes.
(d) They make it illegal for them to have children.
6. What is the Mardudjara?
(a) An area of Australia where beautiful flowers grow.
(b) Several tribes of Aboriginal people who live in the desert regions.
(c) An Aboriginal god.
(d) A settlement for Aboriginal people.
7. What were the new settlers advised to do?
(a) Keep up their Englishness.
(b) Take as much land as possible.
(c) Shoot all Aboriginals.
(d) Try to destroy Aboriginal culture.
8. What nationality is Captain Fremantle?
9. What happens when Udja complains to a white magistrate that his wife has been stolen by a white man?
(a) He is whipped.
(b) He is given a bag of flour.
(c) The white man is punished.
(d) He is given his wife back, but the white man is not punished.
10. What does Dora show the children how to make?
11. What is the Canning Stock Route?
(a) A railway.
(b) A trade route.
(c) A trail used for transporting prisoners.
(d) A long line of wells stretching across the desert.
12. Who is Yellagonga?
(a) A peace-loving tribal leader.
(b) An Aboriginal god.
(c) A powerful spirit ancestor.
(d) A war-loving tribal leader.
13. Why are the Aboriginals upset that they are being tried under English law?
(a) Because their own laws and customs are not being respected.
(b) Because the English people have no right to be there.
(c) Because they would rather be tried under French law.
(d) Because their gods will be angry.
14. Why did the first white invaders come in the first place?
(a) Capturing Aboriginals to sell as slaves.
(b) Looking for lost treasure.
(c) Trying to find a new home.
(d) Sealing and whaling.
15. The Aboriginals at first believed that the white men were 'gengas.' What are gengas?
(a) Spirits of the ancestors.
(c) Flesh eating monsters.
(d) Mighty kings.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what century was the military outpost established on the shores of Western Australia?
2. What do Yalbung and Beeboo see when they investigate the noise?
3. What punishment are Bidgup and Meedo given?
4. What were the white construction workers doing?
5. When they discover the white men, what is the Aboriginal men's first fear?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)