|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange occurrence shatters the peace of the camp?
(a) A bad storm.
(b) A stranger arrives.
(c) One of the clan goes missing.
(d) A loud boom.
2. What happens when Udja complains to a white magistrate that his wife has been stolen by a white man?
(a) He is whipped.
(b) He is given a bag of flour.
(c) The white man is punished.
(d) He is given his wife back, but the white man is not punished.
3. Who set up a military base to get rid of the pirates?
(a) The Chief Protector of Aborigines.
(b) Captain Freeman.
(c) Major Edmund Lockyer.
(d) Captain Fremantle.
4. What are Bidgup and Meedo worried about?
(a) That the spirits of the ancestors will be angry.
(b) That the white people will declare war on them.
(c) That they will be driven from their lands.
(d) That they will have to work for the white people.
5. What is a wuungku?
(a) A type of weapon.
(b) A shelter.
(c) A dress.
(d) A ceremonial headdress.
6. Why does Kundilla conclude that the white soldiers mean them no harm?
(a) The soldiers are unarmed.
(b) The soldiers capture two Aboriginal men but then let them go unharmed.
(c) The soldiers tell them they mean no harm.
(d) The soldiers offer them gifts in friendship.
7. How are black servants paid?
(a) With money.
(b) With rice.
(c) They are not paid with anything.
(d) With warm blankets.
8. By what name are the Mardudjara people referred to?
(d) The Desert People.
9. What did the Aboriginal people discover too late?
(a) That all their beliefs are false.
(b) A secret hiding place from the white men.
(c) That the white men are human beings and not spirits.
(d) How to use guns.
10. The Aboriginals at first believed that the white men were 'gengas.' What are gengas?
(a) Flesh eating monsters.
(b) Mighty kings.
(c) Spirits of the ancestors.
11. What were the white construction workers doing?
(a) Laying railway tracks.
(b) Sinking wells.
(c) Building houses.
(d) Building a barn.
12. When Golda spears one of the cattle, what happens to him?
(a) He is captured and taken away by the white men.
(b) He is kicked and killed by the panicked animal.
(c) He is captured and whipped by the white men.
(d) He is shot dead by the white men.
13. Why are the Aboriginal laws important to them?
(a) They have been around for a very long time.
(b) They were established by the king of the Aboriginals.
(c) They were the first laws in Australia before the white people came.
(d) They were passed down by the Dreamtime spirit beings.
14. What weapons do the Aboriginal men use to hunt with?
15. How do the Aboriginal people sleep?
(a) In brick houses.
(b) In widened-out rabbit burrows.
(c) In shelters made from branches and bark.
(d) In small mud huts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much land had Captain Fremantle already claimed?
2. What is the main reason why the Mardudjara people decide to leave their desert?
3. Why did the first white invaders come in the first place?
4. What does Dora's father Lubin suggest?
5. What is the Canning Stock Route?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)