|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4: From the Deserts They Come.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't the Aboriginals understand what Captain Fremantle is saying?
(a) He is talking about things they have never seen or heard of.
(b) He is speaking in verse.
(c) He is speaking in his language.
(d) He is trying to talk in their language, but getting it wrong.
2. How does Captain Fremantle try to communicate when he realizes they don't understand him?
(a) He gets a translator.
(b) He draws pictures in the sand.
(c) He writes it down instead.
(d) He tries to use sign language.
3. What do Yalbung and Beeboo see when they investigate the noise?
(a) Animals attacking their camp.
(b) White men fighting each other on the beach.
(c) White men carrying off Aboriginal women.
(d) White men and women, and their belongings, on the beach.
4. How do the Mardudjara people interact with the white station owners?
(a) They trade animal skins for food and tobacco.
(b) They steal food from them.
(c) They train as stockmen and domestic help.
(d) They are captured and used as slaves by the white men.
5. In what century was the military outpost established on the shores of Western Australia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment are Bidgup and Meedo given?
2. Why are the Aboriginal laws important to them?
3. What do the Aboriginals have to do to survive?
4. In chapter one, who is the first person mentioned in the book?
5. How do they justify this?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)