|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4: From the Deserts They Come.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't the Aboriginals understand what Captain Fremantle is saying?
(a) He is talking about things they have never seen or heard of.
(b) He is speaking in his language.
(c) He is trying to talk in their language, but getting it wrong.
(d) He is speaking in verse.
2. What is the Mardudjara?
(a) Several tribes of Aboriginal people who live in the desert regions.
(b) An area of Australia where beautiful flowers grow.
(c) An Aboriginal god.
(d) A settlement for Aboriginal people.
3. What does Dora's father Lubin suggest?
(a) Taking one of the cattle.
(b) Killing the white men.
(c) Stealing all of the cattle.
(d) Killing all of the cattle.
4. Who was supposed to establish this first colony?
(a) Captain Freeman.
(b) Constable Riggs.
(c) Arthur Carberry.
(d) Captain James Stirling.
5. Why are the Aboriginals afraid of white men?
(a) Because they were afraid of the strange colour of their skin.
(b) Because white pirates had already killed men and taken women as sex slaves.
(c) Because they had seen white men fighting from a distance.
(d) Because they had received threatening letters from them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did some Mardudjara people react violently to white construction workers?
2. How do they justify this?
3. What were the white construction workers doing?
4. When did the first European settlers arrive in Western Australia?
5. What is established as an act of goodwill on Queen Victoria's birthday?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)