|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: The Swan River Colony.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the first European settlers arrive in Western Australia?
2. How much land had Captain Fremantle already claimed?
(a) One hundred miles.
(b) One million square miles.
(c) One hundred thousand acres.
(d) Five acres.
3. What kind of weather is it always successful to hunt in?
(a) Windy: the wind blows the hunters' scent away.
(b) Misty: the animals can't see the hunters coming.
(c) Sunny: it is easier to see and run in sunny weather.
(d) Rain: the tracks are easy to see, and the animals are less alert.
4. Who was supposed to establish this first colony?
(a) Captain Freeman.
(b) Constable Riggs.
(c) Arthur Carberry.
(d) Captain James Stirling.
5. Why do the clans gather to set fire to areas of the brush?
(a) To drive off the white men.
(b) To flush out animals, which are caught and eaten.
(c) For a religious ritual.
(d) To clear an area to build houses on.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Aboriginals at first believed that the white men were 'gengas.' What are gengas?
2. Who makes the decision about when teenage boys are ready to go into the Law?
3. Why don't the Aboriginals understand what Captain Fremantle is saying?
4. How did the first white invaders trick the Aboriginal men?
5. How does Dayup know that Captain Fremantle must be important?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)