|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: The Decline of Aboriginal Society.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Aboriginals upset that they are being tried under English law?
(a) Because the English people have no right to be there.
(b) Because they would rather be tried under French law.
(c) Because their gods will be angry.
(d) Because their own laws and customs are not being respected.
2. Who makes the decision about when teenage boys are ready to go into the Law?
(a) Their mothers.
(b) The boys themselves.
(c) The tribal elders.
(d) Their fathers.
3. Why don't the Aboriginals understand what Captain Fremantle is saying?
(a) He is speaking in his language.
(b) He is talking about things they have never seen or heard of.
(c) He is speaking in verse.
(d) He is trying to talk in their language, but getting it wrong.
4. How does Captain Fremantle try to communicate when he realizes they don't understand him?
(a) He writes it down instead.
(b) He draws pictures in the sand.
(c) He tries to use sign language.
(d) He gets a translator.
5. What flag do the soldiers raise on the shore?
(a) The Flag of Australia.
(b) The Union Jack (the British flag).
(c) The Stars and Stripes (the American flag).
(d) The Jolly Roger (a pirate flag).
Short Answer Questions
1. Who set up a military base to get rid of the pirates?
2. How do the settlers allocate land?
3. What happens when Udja complains to a white magistrate that his wife has been stolen by a white man?
4. What do Yalbung and Beeboo hear when they are hunting near the river?
5. Why do the soldiers abandon the military outpost?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)