|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: Jigalong, 1907-1931.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is established as an act of goodwill on Queen Victoria's birthday?
(a) Aboriginal servants are given a holiday.
(b) Free blankets are given to the Aboriginals.
(c) All the land is given back to the Aboriginals.
(d) Money is given to the Aboriginals.
2. What does Captain Fremantle name the area?
(b) Western Australia.
(c) Northern Australia.
(d) New England.
3. How did the first white invaders trick the Aboriginal men?
(a) They told them there was good land further down the coast.
(b) They pretended to be gods.
(c) They offered them poisoned food.
(d) They offered to take them to an island, then left them there.
4. How do Maude's family feel about their new boss, the maintenance inspector?
(a) He is cruel and they hate him.
(b) They like him and invite him to share meals.
(c) They think he is funny and they often mock him.
(d) They do not understand him.
5. What were the new settlers advised to do?
(a) Shoot all Aboriginals.
(b) Take as much land as possible.
(c) Try to destroy Aboriginal culture.
(d) Keep up their Englishness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Aboriginals upset that they are being tried under English law?
2. Why did the first white invaders come in the first place?
3. What kind of weather is it always successful to hunt in?
4. What did the Aboriginal people discover too late?
5. Why are the Aboriginals afraid of white men?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)