|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7: The Moore River Native Settlement, 1931.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who names the baby Molly?
(a) The father.
(b) The baby's grandmother.
(d) Maude's father.
2. What happens when Udja complains to a white magistrate that his wife has been stolen by a white man?
(a) He is given a bag of flour.
(b) He is whipped.
(c) He is given his wife back, but the white man is not punished.
(d) The white man is punished.
3. What does Molly decide that night?
(a) That she must protect Gracie and Daisy.
(b) That they must escape.
(c) That she will never accept white culture.
(d) That they must play along with the rules so that they are not punished.
4. Why was Jiigalong established?
(a) As a colony for new European settlers.
(b) As a school to teach Aboriginal children to speak English.
(c) As a base for maintenance workers on the rabbit-proof fence.
(d) As a settlement for Aborigines.
5. Why are the Aboriginals upset that they are being tried under English law?
(a) Because the English people have no right to be there.
(b) Because their own laws and customs are not being respected.
(c) Because their gods will be angry.
(d) Because they would rather be tried under French law.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Illustrated Melbourne Post say the Aboriginal people reacted to this act of goodwill?
2. How do the white men try to break the Aboriginal culture?
3. What makes Molly think the dormitory looks like a jail?
4. How do the girls keep warm that night?
5. How do Molly and Gracie's family express their sorrow when the girls are taken?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)