|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Harry used to keep in his bedside drawer?
2. What does Harry say are as ugly as hell?
3. What does Harry think his wife and their friends will tease him about?
4. Where do the Angstroms, the Murketts and the Harrosons decide to go on holiday in January?
5. Who does Janice say they are not?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry not talk to the Murketts and the Fosnachts at the wedding reception?
2. What do Nelson and Pru talk about in Ma Springer's big Chrysler?
3. What does Janice tell Harry when they come back from the party?
4. How does Janice react when she sees the gold coins?
5. How does Harry cope with sailing the tiller?
6. How does Nelson react to his parents buying their own house?
7. How does Pru injure herself?
8. Why does Nelson like Pru?
9. What lie does Harry tell Charlie?
10. Why does Harry have to go along with Bessie and Janice's idea to take on Nelson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting:
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Updike express these concerns?
2) How would Updike change the novel if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)