|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harry end up talking to at the wedding?
2. Which of the characters have never sailed?
3. What special occasion do the characters celebrate in this chapter?
4. What does is the name of the song the calypso singer sings at Harry's table?
5. Why did Ma Springer have to use the good china?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlie say about the business?
2. How does Harry's night with Thelma change him?
3. What do Mim and Harry talk about at the wedding reception?
4. How does Janice react when she sees the gold coins?
5. How does Harry react when he sees Charlie back at work?
6. How does Harry cope with sailing the tiller?
7. What does Harry remember about his bedside table drawer?
8. What do Nelson and Brew do at Slim's party?
9. What does Charlie tell Harry about the situation with Nelson?
10. Why does Nelson like Pru?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1980s society:
1) The gold coins.
2) The lot.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Rabbit's character across the whole series.
-How does Updike develop Rabbit's character across the whole series?
-What new elements does Updike add to Rabbit's character?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) John Updike celebrates American middle class life and presents Harry as having no conflict with being part of the middle classes, despite his working class background.
2) Even in middle-age Harry is emotionally immature and refuses to understand his son.
3) Nelson's relationship with Harry is too cliché to have any emotional impact on the reader.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)