|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Harry's coach like Ronnie better?
2. What animal does Harry's eyes glitter like?
3. Why did Ma Springer have to use the good china?
4. What does Harry say they should have taken up years ago?
5. Who calls the family together for a conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Janice's Maverick?
2. What lie does Harry tell Charlie?
3. How does Janice react when she sees the gold coins?
4. What do Nelson and Pru talk about in Ma Springer's big Chrysler?
5. What does Harry remember about his bedside table drawer?
6. Why does Nelson like Pru?
7. How does Pru injure herself?
8. What does Charlie say about the business?
9. How does Bessie react to Harry and Janice buying their own house?
10. What happens when Harry tries to visit Ruth again in chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting:
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Updike express these concerns?
2) How would Updike change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
The Rabbit books greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)