|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Harry used to keep in his bedside drawer?
2. What does Harry say the women will do to him if he does not take Nelson into the business?
3. What does Thelma suffer from?
4. Who does Janice say they are not?
5. What is Pru's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlie tell Harry about the situation with Nelson?
2. What happens when Harry tries to visit Ruth again in chapter 3?
3. How does Nelson react to his parents buying their own house?
4. What do Nelson and Pru talk about in Ma Springer's big Chrysler?
5. What lie does Harry tell Charlie?
6. What does Harry think about as he runs through Brewer?
7. What does Harry remember about his bedside table drawer?
8. How does Bessie react to Harry and Janice buying their own house?
9. How does Harry react when he sees Charlie back at work?
10. What does Janice tell Harry when they come back from the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
-How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
-Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? -How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)