|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harry think is incredibly hot?
2. What does Thelma suffer from?
3. What news do Janice and Harry break to Bessie in this chapter?
4. What kind of car has Nelson destroyed?
5. What was the name of Harry's basketball coach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry react when he sees Charlie back at work?
2. What do Nelson and Brew do at Slim's party?
3. What does Charlie tell Harry about the situation with Nelson?
4. How does Harry's night with Thelma change him?
5. How does Janice react when she sees the gold coins?
6. What does Ma Springer call the family into the living room to talk about?
7. What has happened to Janice's Maverick?
8. Why does Harry have to go along with Bessie and Janice's idea to take on Nelson?
9. How does Bessie react to Harry and Janice buying their own house?
10. How does Pru injure herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)