Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does is the name of the song the calypso singer sings at Harry's table?
2. Where do Pru and Nelson's friends hang out?
3. What country is the head chef from?
4. Why did Ma Springer have to use the good china?
5. What is Pru's surname?
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) John Updike celebrates American middle class life and presents Harry as having no conflict with being part of the middle classes, despite his working class background.
2) Even in middle-age Harry is emotionally immature and refuses to understand his son.
3) Nelson's relationship with Harry is too cliché to have any emotional impact on the reader.
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
The author wrote Rabbit is Rich in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)