|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pru ask Nelson if he had sex with?
2. What news do Janice and Harry break to Bessie in this chapter?
3. Where do the Angstroms, the Murketts and the Harrosons decide to go on holiday in January?
4. What does Harry think his wife and their friends will tease him about?
5. What does Harry say he wants to pump it in and die like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nelson like Pru?
2. What has happened to Janice's Maverick?
3. How does Bessie react to Harry and Janice buying their own house?
4. Why does Harry not talk to the Murketts and the Fosnachts at the wedding reception?
5. What lie does Harry tell Charlie?
6. What do Pru and Nelson do in Brewer?
7. What does Harry remember about his bedside table drawer?
8. What does Ma Springer call the family into the living room to talk about?
9. What do Mim and Harry talk about at the wedding reception?
10. What happens when Harry tries to visit Ruth again in chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between the younger and older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is the generational gap expressed in Rabbit is Rich particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
The Rabbit books greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)