Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does is the name of the song the calypso singer sings at Harry's table?
2. Where do Pru and Nelson's friends hang out?
3. What country is the head chef from?
4. Why did Ma Springer have to use the good china?
5. What is Pru's surname?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Rabbit's character to the person he is a the beginning of the story to the person he is at the end of the story:
1) What does Rabbit hope to achieve at the beginning of the story?
2) What events changes Rabbit ideas about life?
3) How has Rabbit's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the representation of sex in the novel:
1) How do the characters in the novel view sex? What does this express about eighties society?
2) How did the public react to the novel's sex scenes when it was first published? How would the public react to similar scenes today?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)