|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janice say when Harry says they screwed up Nelson?
2. What is Nelson drinking at the party?
3. What kind of dog is Fritzie?
4. What will Charlie have to do when Nelson comes into the business?
5. Who does Janice say is crude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlie say about the business?
2. What does Harry think about as he runs through Brewer?
3. What happens when Harry tries to visit Ruth again in chapter 3?
4. Why does Nelson like Pru?
5. How does Harry react when he sees Charlie back at work?
6. What has happened to Janice's Maverick?
7. How does Nelson react to his parents buying their own house?
8. How does Pru injure herself?
9. What does Harry remember about his bedside table drawer?
10. What does Ma Springer call the family into the living room to talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)