|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nelson drinking at the party?
2. What state did Charlie take Melanie to before taking her to Ohio?
3. Where do the characters have lunch after sailing?
4. Why did Harry's coach like Ronnie better?
5. What does is the name of the song the calypso singer sings at Harry's table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) John Updike celebrates American middle class life and presents Harry as having no conflict with being part of the middle classes, despite his working class background.
2) Even in middle-age Harry is emotionally immature and refuses to understand his son.
3) Nelson's relationship with Harry is too cliché to have any emotional impact on the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the representation of sex in the novel:
1) How do the characters in the novel view sex? What does this express about eighties society?
2) How did the public react to the novel's sex scenes when it was first published? How would the public react to similar scenes today?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)