|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of Thelma's bra?
2. What kind of party do the Murketts hold in this chapter?
3. What kind of cigarettes does Webb smoke?
4. What does Nelson call Ma Springer?
5. Why did Harry's coach like Ronnie better?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry react when he sees Charlie back at work?
2. What lie does Harry tell Charlie?
3. Why is Harry thankful that Janice does not talk about Cindy?
4. How does Bessie react to Harry and Janice buying their own house?
5. How does Harry cope with sailing the tiller?
6. What does Harry think about as he runs through Brewer?
7. What do Nelson and Brew do at Slim's party?
8. What does Ma Springer call the family into the living room to talk about?
9. Why does Harry not talk to the Murketts and the Fosnachts at the wedding reception?
10. How does Nelson react to his parents buying their own house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting:
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Updike express these concerns?
2) How would Updike change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)