|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harry say belongs to the old circle in his life?
2. What does Harry say he wants to pump it in and die like?
3. What does Harry think his wife and their friends will tease him about?
4. What state did Charlie take Melanie to before taking her to Ohio?
5. Where do the characters have lunch after sailing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ma Springer call the family into the living room to talk about?
2. What do Pru and Nelson do in Brewer?
3. What lie does Harry tell Charlie?
4. Why does Nelson like Pru?
5. How does Bessie react to Harry and Janice buying their own house?
6. What has happened to Janice's Maverick?
7. What does Janice tell Harry when they come back from the party?
8. How does Harry's night with Thelma change him?
9. Why does Harry have to go along with Bessie and Janice's idea to take on Nelson?
10. What do Nelson and Brew do at Slim's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rabbit books greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss its similarities with the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)