|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlie's position at Springer's Motors?
2. Who does Harry wish could see him rich?
3. Who killed Skeeter?
4. Who does Harry say has squeezed out the Polacks and Italians?
5. What is the name of the man who lived with Harry and Nelson when Harry separated from his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this chapter show the difference between Harry and Charlie's sale techniques?
2. What does Harry work out about the bookkeeping?
3. What does Harry remember about Skeeter?
4. What is Harry's role at Springer Motors?
5. How does Nelson want Harry to help him?
6. What does Thelma think about the story Harry tells her about Nelson?
7. Why did Janice not want to buy a house?
8. What does Harry think about the Springer's house?
9. What does the Reverend Archie Campbell discuss with Nelson and Pru?
10. How does Nelson react to Campbell's presence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Rabbit's character across the whole series.
-How does Updike develop Rabbit's character across the whole series?
-What new elements does Updike add to Rabbit's character?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1980s society:
1) The gold coins.
2) The lot.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)