Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harry think his parents never sent him to summer camps?
2. Who is Melanie going out with?
3. What does Harry offer Nelson?
4. What kind of community lives in Galilee?
5. Who does the girl say she lives with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry not talk to the Murketts and the Fosnachts at the wedding reception?
2. How does Nelson react to his parents buying their own house?
3. Summarize the novel.
4. What does Ma Springer call the family into the living room to talk about?
5. Why does Nelson like Pru?
6. Describe Harry and Charlie's relationship.
7. What news does Janice have about Nelson?
8. What happens when Harry tries to visit Ruth again in chapter 3?
9. What does Thelma think about the story Harry tells her about Nelson?
10. How does Nelson want Harry to help him?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting:
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Updike express these concerns?
2) How would Updike change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between the younger and older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is the generational gap expressed in Rabbit is Rich particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the representation of sex in the novel:
1) How do the characters in the novel view sex? What does this express about eighties society?
2) How did the public react to the novel's sex scenes when it was first published? How would the public react to similar scenes today?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)