Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harry think his parents never sent him to summer camps?
2. Who is Melanie going out with?
3. What does Harry offer Nelson?
4. What kind of community lives in Galilee?
5. Who does the girl say she lives with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry not talk to the Murketts and the Fosnachts at the wedding reception?
2. How does Nelson react to his parents buying their own house?
3. Summarize the novel.
4. What does Ma Springer call the family into the living room to talk about?
5. Why does Nelson like Pru?
6. Describe Harry and Charlie's relationship.
7. What news does Janice have about Nelson?
8. What happens when Harry tries to visit Ruth again in chapter 3?
9. What does Thelma think about the story Harry tells her about Nelson?
10. How does Nelson want Harry to help him?
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Look at the generation gap between the younger and older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is the generational gap expressed in Rabbit is Rich particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)