|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Janice and Bessie go every year?
2. What country is the hostage crisis taking place in?
3. How does Harry greet the young man from the farm?
4. Who does Nelson introduce his parents to?
5. Who does Harry call his enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Harry and Nelson argue about?
2. What problem does Nelson have with Pru?
3. Describe Harry's circle of friends at the country club?
4. Why is Pru's visit a shock for Harry?
5. What does Rabbit remember about Summer Street?
6. What does Harry think about Pru?
7. What is Harry's role at Springer Motors?
8. Describe Harry and Charlie's relationship.
9. What does Charlie say to Harry about Nelson?
10. What does Harry work out about the bookkeeping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Rabbit's life:
1) His basketball coach
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting:
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Updike express these concerns?
2) How would Updike change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) John Updike celebrates American middle class life and presents Harry as having no conflict with being part of the middle classes, despite his working class background.
2) Even in middle-age Harry is emotionally immature and refuses to understand his son.
3) Nelson's relationship with Harry is too cliché to have any emotional impact on the reader.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)