|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the country club?
2. Who thinks there is a sad note to Harry's story?
3. What does Harry not like about young people?
4. What does Harry suggest Nelson and Pru do with the baby?
5. How does Harry know the girl's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harry's role at Springer Motors?
2. How did Old Springer used to run Springer Motors?
3. How does Nelson react to Campbell's presence?
4. What does Rabbit remember about Summer Street?
5. What does Thelma think about the story Harry tells her about Nelson?
6. What was notable about the newspaper clipping Harry received about Skeeter?
7. Why has Nelson never forgiven his father for the fire at his old house?
8. What does Harry think about his dead dad?
9. Why is Pru's visit a shock for Harry?
10. Describe Harry's circle of friends at the country club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the representation of sex in the novel:
1) How do the characters in the novel view sex? What does this express about eighties society?
2) How did the public react to the novel's sex scenes when it was first published? How would the public react to similar scenes today?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote Rabbit is Rich in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
-How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
-Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? -How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)