|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author say has a musical smile?
2. What does Webb say is going through the roof?
3. What is Charlie's position at Springer's Motors?
4. What country is the hostage crisis taking place in?
5. What does Harry offer Nelson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thelma think about the story Harry tells her about Nelson?
2. How does Nelson react to Campbell's presence?
3. How does Nelson want Harry to help him?
4. What does Charlie say to Harry about Nelson?
5. How did Old Springer used to run Springer Motors?
6. What problem does Nelson have with Pru?
7. What do Harry and Nelson argue about?
8. How does this chapter show the difference between Harry and Charlie's sale techniques?
9. What does Harry suggest to Nelson?
10. Why is Pru's visit a shock for Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting:
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Updike express these concerns?
2) How would Updike change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
-How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
-Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? -How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)