|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harry say has squeezed out the Polacks and Italians?
2. Who did Charlie have an affair with 10 years before?
3. What is the name of Harry's son?
4. What does Webb say is going through the roof?
5. What is the name of Harry's hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Harry and Nelson argue about?
2. What is Harry's role at Springer Motors?
3. Describe Harry and Charlie's relationship.
4. Why has Nelson never forgiven his father for the fire at his old house?
5. What does Charlie say to Harry about Nelson?
6. What does Harry think about the Springer's house?
7. How does Nelson want Harry to help him?
8. How did Old Springer used to run Springer Motors?
9. How does Nelson react to Campbell's presence?
10. What does Harry think about his dead dad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) John Updike celebrates American middle class life and presents Harry as having no conflict with being part of the middle classes, despite his working class background.
2) Even in middle-age Harry is emotionally immature and refuses to understand his son.
3) Nelson's relationship with Harry is too cliché to have any emotional impact on the reader.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)