|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry say is the peak month?
2. What does Webb say is going through the roof?
3. What is the name of the bridge that Harry cuts across?
4. What is the name of the man who lived with Harry and Nelson when Harry separated from his wife?
5. How does Harry know the girl's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harry and Charlie's relationship.
2. What is Harry's role at Springer Motors?
3. Why has Nelson never forgiven his father for the fire at his old house?
4. What does Harry suggest to Nelson?
5. What does Charlie say to Harry about Nelson?
6. How does Nelson react to Campbell's presence?
7. What problem does Nelson have with Pru?
8. How did Old Springer used to run Springer Motors?
9. How does Nelson want Harry to help him?
10. Why did Janice not want to buy a house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Rabbit's character to the person he is a the beginning of the story to the person he is at the end of the story:
1) What does Rabbit hope to achieve at the beginning of the story?
2) What events changes Rabbit ideas about life?
3) How has Rabbit's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
The author wrote Rabbit is Rich in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)