|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harry think his parents never sent him to summer camps?
2. Who is Melanie going out with?
3. What does Harry offer Nelson?
4. What kind of community lives in Galilee?
5. Who does the girl say she lives with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry not talk to the Murketts and the Fosnachts at the wedding reception?
2. How does Nelson react to his parents buying their own house?
3. Summarize the novel.
4. What does Ma Springer call the family into the living room to talk about?
5. Why does Nelson like Pru?
6. Describe Harry and Charlie's relationship.
7. What news does Janice have about Nelson?
8. What happens when Harry tries to visit Ruth again in chapter 3?
9. What does Thelma think about the story Harry tells her about Nelson?
10. How does Nelson want Harry to help him?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting:
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Updike express these concerns?
2) How would Updike change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Rabbit's character across the whole series.
-How does Updike develop Rabbit's character across the whole series?
-What new elements does Updike add to Rabbit's character?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe Updike's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Updike's style give to the story?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)