|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Janice and Bessie go every year?
2. What could Harry's father never eat without throwing up?
3. Where does Harry stop to inquire about the farm?
4. What does Webb say is going through the roof?
5. Who does Nelson introduce his parents to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this chapter show the difference between Harry and Charlie's sale techniques?
2. What was notable about the newspaper clipping Harry received about Skeeter?
3. Why has Nelson never forgiven his father for the fire at his old house?
4. How did Old Springer used to run Springer Motors?
5. What does Rabbit remember about Summer Street?
6. Describe Harry's circle of friends at the country club?
7. What problem does Nelson have with Pru?
8. What do Harry and Janice say about Nelson when they are alone?
9. What does Charlie say to Harry about Nelson?
10. What is Harry's role at Springer Motors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the representation of sex in the novel:
1) How do the characters in the novel view sex? What does this express about eighties society?
2) How did the public react to the novel's sex scenes when it was first published? How would the public react to similar scenes today?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1980s society:
1) The gold coins.
2) The lot.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)