|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dominguez do when Fowler swats at a mosquito droning near his ear?
2. How does Mr. Heng express his agreement with Fowler?
3. What does Vigot want Fowler to tell him?
4. What does Fowler later have to admit?
5. Why does Vigot say that he does not believe Fowler killed Pyle?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Pyle takes Phuong away, where did Fowler go with Captain Trouin?
2. Who are the Caodaists and why does Fowler go to where they are?
3. What is the gist of Helen's letter to Fowler?
4. Why is Pyle upset that the bomb had gone off that day?
5. What important person does Fowler meet at the insistence of Dominguez?
6. What evidence is there that Vigot knows Fowler is involved in some way with Pyle's murder?
7. What trouble is Pyle having when Fowler runs into him on this trip?
8. What makes work more difficult for Fowler with his leg in a cast?
9. Almost in spite of himself, what advice is Fowler compelled to give Pyle?
10. What does Fowler witness with Mr. Heng who had called him to big store at the corner of Boulevard Charner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper explaining why Fowler tells Vigot that York Harding killed Alden Pyle. This will be an opinion piece about how people are influenced by what they read. Fowler recognizes that Pyle has been taken up in an idealistic dream over Harding's untried idea that a Third Force is the answer to the Vietnam conflict. The fallacy of that idea should be readily apparent. It would not serve to bolster the position of the one force it is meant to enhance. Rather, would it not just create a new entity in the struggle for power? Answer this question by pointing out what Pyle's Third Force did by supporting General The.
Essay Topic 2
Considering everything you know about Phuong, write a paper with your opinion about whether or not she actually loves Fowler. In order to write this paper you will need to understand the dynamics of survival in a country that is impoverished by war. The idea of this paper is to address survival without the moral judgments of the western world.
Essay Topic 3
The beginning of what we call the Vietnam war was an effort on the part of Vietnamese Communists to overthrow French colonialism. Write a paper on your opinion about the Americans becoming involved after the French pulled out. The implication of Pyle's trying to set up a Third Force hints at a premeditated plan on the part of America to be ready to step in when the French pull out. Do you think that is what happened?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)