|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phuong's response when Fowler tells her Pyle had invited himself to Fowler's apartment for a drink?
2. How does the telegram affect Fowler?
3. What is Graham Greene's definition of the quiet American?
4. How was Pyle killed?
5. What does Fowler see when he goes out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phuong take the news of Pyle's death?
2. In a flashback, describe how Pyle meets Fowler and Phuong.
3. What is the conflict between Fowler and Miss Hei?
4. What is the superstition in Vietnam about lovers who smoke opium?
5. What does Fowler take away from Pyle's apartment?
6. Tell of Alden Pyle's fascination with York Harding.
7. What happens when Pyle invites himself over for a drink?
8. The morning after Pyle's murder, what is Phuong's concern?
9. What is so annoying about the letter from Pyle that is waiting for Fowler when he finally gets home?
10. What is the purpose for having Fowler and Phuong go to the Surete to see Vigot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering everything you know about Phuong, write a paper with your opinion about whether or not she actually loves Fowler. In order to write this paper you will need to understand the dynamics of survival in a country that is impoverished by war. The idea of this paper is to address survival without the moral judgments of the western world.
Essay Topic 2
Using the Caodaists as an example, write a paper about religious cultism and why you think people join them. There are enough converts to this cult to make it a viable player in the war. Historically, however, there have always been cults and people who flock to them to their own destruction. It is this feature of cultism that gives them their power in numbers. Look up some examples of other cult religions and compare the Caodaists to them.
Essay Topic 3
Do a little research into aerial bombing and write a paper explaining the difference between horizontal and vertical bombing missions. The terminology has changed over the years but the principles are the same. There is somewhat safety in horizontal bombing since the planes fly high above most anti-aircraft artillery. The problem with this approach is that it is indiscriminate and only effective if it covers a large area. Vertical bombing is more exact target centered. In your paper give your opinion about these two different approaches in terms of affecting innocent victims.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)