|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the table to talk to Fowler while Pyle and Phuong are dancing?
2. Fowler, who is British, has developed what feeling about Vietnam?
3. Why does Vigot speak softly to Fowler?
4. What letters does Fowler write to be mailed from Hong Kong by a departing journalist?
5. Returning to the night Fowler met Pyle, where was he?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so annoying about the letter from Pyle that is waiting for Fowler when he finally gets home?
2. Incredibly, what does Pyle ask Fowler to do?
3. What is the conflict between Fowler and Miss Hei?
4. What news does Bill Granger offer about the war in the North when the Economic Attache asks?
5. How does Phuong take the news of Pyle's death?
6. Describe how the French manipulate the foreign press corps during the war.
7. What information does Phuong give Fowler?
8. What is the purpose for having Fowler and Phuong go to the Surete to see Vigot?
9. What is the strange scene when Phuong comes in while Pyle is still there?
10. What suggestions does Fowler offer Vigot as to who might have killed Pyle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion about whether one country should interfere in another country's politics. The French were in Indochina as long time colonialists. The war was actually a movement to get them out of the country. Somewhere along the way, the lines got blurred in the situation and American politicians began to suggest that the war was a necessity to prevent the spread of communism throughout the world. The Vietnamese allies in the country were those who had prospered under French colonialism. You might want to compare America's involvement after the French leave to America's search for weapons of mass destruction in modern day Iraq.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion as to whether Graham Greene glamorizes the use of opium in the novel. About the only negative thing mentioned as to opium use in the novel is the negative effects it has on the libido after four pipes. Fowler is quite open about his usage. Vigot is obviously aware of it. Is there a certain glamor implied in the fact that the beautiful Phuong serves Fowler the pipes much like serving tea? With illegal drug usage so rampant in today's world, what is your opinion of the drug use in the novel? Do you think Greene is advocating opium usage or just telling it like it was?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on your opinion of sacrificing the few for the good of the many. This is one of the hard questions about war in general especially as it has evolved over the years. It is no longer something that takes place on a specified battle field where the only casualties are the combatants. A bomb dropped on an enemy hideout will also destroy many innocent lives. On a personal level, the question is often raised about whether one would save one life if it meant that five others would die; or would one sacrifice that one life to save the other five? It seems that such a moral judgment is not applicable to the impersonal war machine. What is your opinion?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)