|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of York's theory In which Pyle believes?
2. What does Miss Hei want from Fowler?
3. What does Miss Hei tell Pyle when he and Phuong return to the table?
4. Why does Fowler leave Phuong in the trishaw and go into the House of Five Hundred Girls?
5. What alibi does Fowler give for his whereabouts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about Pyle that Fowler cannot put into his cable to his newspaper?
2. What happens when Pyle invites himself over for a drink?
3. What information does Phuong give Fowler?
4. When Fowler offers Pyle a drink of whiskey, how does the conversation go?
5. When Granger pins the colonel down on the fact that supplies have not arrived for the army at the front, what happens?
6. When Fowler moves out with a patrol getting out of the area of Phat Diem, who comes in the middle of the night? Why had he come?
7. What does Fowler see when he goes to Phat Diem?
8. What is the conflict between Fowler and Miss Hei?
9. What does Granger say about covering a war?
10. What language does Pyle use that Fowler sees as boyish and naive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion about whether one country should interfere in another country's politics. The French were in Indochina as long time colonialists. The war was actually a movement to get them out of the country. Somewhere along the way, the lines got blurred in the situation and American politicians began to suggest that the war was a necessity to prevent the spread of communism throughout the world. The Vietnamese allies in the country were those who had prospered under French colonialism. You might want to compare America's involvement after the French leave to America's search for weapons of mass destruction in modern day Iraq.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper expressing what you believe Vigot actually knew about Pyle's death and Fowler's involvement in it. Analyze the questions Vigot keeps on asking Fowler and how Fowler has to give his answers carefully so as not to implicate himself. Vigot's persistence indicates that he knows what Fowler did, does not even wish to prosecute Fowler, but simply wants to satisfy his curiosity. Does it seem, though, that Vigot expects Fowler to protect himself?
Essay Topic 3
The beginning of what we call the Vietnam war was an effort on the part of Vietnamese Communists to overthrow French colonialism. Write a paper on your opinion about the Americans becoming involved after the French pulled out. The implication of Pyle's trying to set up a Third Force hints at a premeditated plan on the part of America to be ready to step in when the French pull out. Do you think that is what happened?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)