|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Hei not like Fowler?
2. What ridiculous suggestion does Pyle make?
3. After Pyle leaves, how long does it take Fowler to get to Saigon?
4. What is the name of York's theory In which Pyle believes?
5. What letters does Fowler write to be mailed from Hong Kong by a departing journalist?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Pyle and Phuong dance, how does the conversation go between Pyle and Miss Hei?
2. When Fowler moves out with a patrol getting out of the area of Phat Diem, who comes in the middle of the night? Why had he come?
3. What information does Phuong give Fowler?
4. Describe how the French manipulate the foreign press corps during the war.
5. What language does Pyle use that Fowler sees as boyish and naive?
6. Incredibly, what does Pyle ask Fowler to do?
7. What is Fowler's reaction to the priest who offers to take his confession?
8. What does Granger say about covering a war?
9. At the press conference, what is the French colonel's response to the question of French casualties?
10. What happens when Pyle invites himself over for a drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pyle was idealistic and inexperienced. Write a paper expressing your opinion about the dangers of such a combination in someone who has the power to do great harm. In your paper, use the naivete of Pyle as he overlooks the sarcasm and below the surface animosity of Fowler in the battle over Phuong. He seems to be a person who expects everyone to tell the truth all the time. Compare how upset he is with Fowler's lies and his belief that General The would not have exploded the bomb knowing that the parade had been canceled.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper expressing what you believe Vigot actually knew about Pyle's death and Fowler's involvement in it. Analyze the questions Vigot keeps on asking Fowler and how Fowler has to give his answers carefully so as not to implicate himself. Vigot's persistence indicates that he knows what Fowler did, does not even wish to prosecute Fowler, but simply wants to satisfy his curiosity. Does it seem, though, that Vigot expects Fowler to protect himself?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about why Mr. Heng was so sure that Thomas Fowler would cooperate in getting Pyle to the restaurant. There are two factors here for your paper. One, is the idea of coming out on top in a love triangle. Asian men especially would relate to this concept. The other is the factor of Fowler's dependence on covert information to write his articles. Your paper will evaluate which motive is stronger with Fowler.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)