|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fowler later have to admit?
(a) That Pyle was really the better man.
(b) That Phuong would have been better off with Pyle.
(c) That Pyle followed his instructions to the letter.
(d) That he had sent Pyle on a fool's errand.
2. What do Caodaists' churches look like?
(a) Golden pagodas
(b) Green domes with a hole in the top
(c) Stone squares with minarets at the four corners
(d) Pink and blue with a huge eye of God over the door
3. Back in the present time, what does Fowler do to get Phuong out of the house when Vigot arrives?
(a) He hides her in a back room.
(b) He sends her to the movies.
(c) He sends her to her sister.
(d) He hide her under his bed.
4. Why does Fowler tell Pyle he should have a few bad motives?
(a) So he could use them to keep Phuong.
(b) So he could understand human beings better.
(c) So he would end up in jail.
(d) So he could survive in Indochina.
5. What comment does Vigot make when Fowler says that Pyle got mixed up.
(a) Vigot says, "Are you sure?"
(b) Vigot says, "Don't we all?"
(c) Vigot says, "You never do, do you?"
(d) Vigot says, "That's too bad."
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the Attache's office, what does Fowler say he did in the men's lavatory?
2. When Fowler and Pyle talk, against what does Fowler warn Pyle?
3. What is Caodaism?
4. What takes Fowler's mind off Pyle and Phuong for a few minutes?
5. What does Mr. Heng want Fowler to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Caodaists and why does Fowler go to where they are?
2. Why is Pyle upset that the bomb had gone off that day?
3. What happens to them on the way back?
4. What new evidence about Pyle's death makes Vigot sure that Fowler did not kill him?
5. What does Fowler mean when he tells Vigot that York Harding in the man who killed Alden Pyle?
6. What strange encounter does Fowler have with Bill Granger at the Vieux Moulin?
7. What is the real reason Vigot comes to play Quatre-Vingt-et-Un with Fowler?
8. When Fowler goes to see Mr. Heng after the Garnier bomb, what request does Heng make of him?
9. What is the gist of Helen's letter to Fowler?
10. After Pyle takes Phuong away, where did Fowler go with Captain Trouin?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)