|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
(a) As an idealist like Pyle
(b) As an important government official
(c) As a remnant of the old colonialists
(d) As an ugly American
2. Why does Fowler say he wants to find another flat?
(a) He doesn't need that many rooms.
(b) He's planning on bringing Helen here.
(c) There is too much of Phuong where he is.
(d) He plans on moving Dominguez in with him.
3. What does Vigot say he dislikes most about his job?
(a) All the paperwork
(b) The stupid people who work under him
(c) Chasing illegal gamblers
(d) Spending so much time in mortuaries
4. What does Mr. Heng say that reminds him of Captain Trouin?
(a) "We do what we have to do."
(b) "Forget the carnage and think of the future."
(c) "Sooner or later, one has to take sides if one is to remain human."
(d) "War is hell."
5. What was wrong with the bombing that day?
(a) It was supposed to go off in the officers quarters.
(b) It was more powerful than they had planned.
(c) Pyle did not know they had cancelled the parade which was the main target.
(d) Several Americans were killed accidentally.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Heng say he knew about the bomb in the Garnier?
2. What is Heng's answer when Fowler asks if he had anything to do with the bombing?
3. What does Fowler tell Vigot he should have become?
4. What does Dominguez advise Fowler to do?
5. What does Dominguez do when Fowler swats at a mosquito droning near his ear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Caodaists and why does Fowler go to where they are?
2. Why is Pyle upset that the bomb had gone off that day?
3. What did Fowler find at the garage of Mr. Muoi?
4. When Fowler returns to his flat, who is there?
5. What happens right after two American girls walk out of the Pavilon?
6. What happens to them on the way back?
7. What strange encounter does Fowler have with Bill Granger at the Vieux Moulin?
8. What is the gist of Helen's letter to Fowler?
9. After Pyle takes Phuong away, where did Fowler go with Captain Trouin?
10. What makes work more difficult for Fowler with his leg in a cast?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)