|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fowler ask Mr. Heng about Pyle?
(a) If Vigot has any connection to Pyle.
(b) If Phuong is safe with Pyle.
(c) Who Pyle's chief is.
(d) How he came to meet Pyle.
2. What is Fowler forced to do since Dominguez is out of commission?
(a) Take trishaws everywhere he needs to go
(b) Attend wearisome press conferences and hobble to the Continental for gossip
(c) Do his own writing to send to London
(d) Stay at home and send Phuong to run errands
3. When Pyle arrives, why does he say he is surprised that Fowler gave him an invitation to visit?
(a) He thought Fowler wanted to talk about Phuong.
(b) He thought Fowler had realized Pyle's good work.
(c) He thought Fowler wanted to apologize.
(d) He thought Fowler was mad at him.
4. What is Caodaism?
(a) A philosophy of a blend of communism and capitalism.
(b) A cult religion that blends Confucianism, Christianit, and Buddhism.
(c) A religion that started in Vietnam and spreak to Korea.
(d) A religious front for a counter military insurgency.
5. What does Fowler discover at Mr. Muoi's garage?
(a) The molds for making bombs are there.
(b) Mr. Muoi had been shot.
(c) Muoi and his men all all gone; there is an old press there.
(d) There was a note from Pyle on Muoi's desk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pyle want to take Phuong to America to get married?
2. What is Heng's answer when Fowler asks if he had anything to do with the bombing?
3. What had Pyle done that was according to Harding's book?
4. What does Fowler later have to admit?
5. When someone does knock on Fowler's door, who is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Caodaists and why does Fowler go to where they are?
2. Why is Pyle upset that the bomb had gone off that day?
3. What does Fowler wish he had had the guts to do while Vigot was there?
4. What is the gist of Helen's letter to Fowler?
5. What admonition does Fowler give Pyle because of his support of General The?
6. What elaborate precautions does Fowler take that evening?
7. What is the real reason Vigot comes to play Quatre-Vingt-et-Un with Fowler?
8. After his stay in the hospital, where does Fowler find Phuong?
9. What happens to them on the way back?
10. After Pyle takes Phuong away, where did Fowler go with Captain Trouin?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)