|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Pyle done that was according to Harding's book?
(a) Built up a bicycle brigad to be his Third force
(b) Formed a Third Force of 2,000 bandits and two tame tigers
(c) Recruited Vietminh to form a Third Force
(d) Brought in mercenaries to be a Third Force
2. What takes Fowler's mind off Pyle and Phuong for a few minutes?
(a) He goes along on a French air raid.
(b) He has his cast removed.
(c) He overdoses on opium.
(d) He witnesses a murder on the rue Catinat.
3. Why does Fowler go to The Pavillon after leaving the apartment on rue Catinat?
(a) To find Vigot and ask about Pyle
(b) To avoid seeing Phuong at the Milk Fountain
(c) To meet Joe, the Economic Attache
(d) To see if Phuong is there
4. What is behind the Holy See as one approaches Tanyin?
(a) The sacred mountain that looks like a bowler hat.
(b) A dark jungle
(c) The palaces of the Pope of Caodaism
(d) The waterfalls of antiquity
5. What drink does Pyle offer Fowler in Tanyin?
(b) Warm beer
(d) Lime juice
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets a job for Miss Hei with the Americans?
2. Why does Pyle want to take Phuong to America to get married?
3. What does Dominguez do when Fowler swats at a mosquito droning near his ear?
4. What was wrong with the bombing that day?
5. Who does Fowler run into in Tanyin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Caodaists and why does Fowler go to where they are?
2. What trouble is Pyle having when Fowler runs into him on this trip?
3. What important person does Fowler meet at the insistence of Dominguez?
4. What strange encounter does Fowler have with Bill Granger at the Vieux Moulin?
5. What is the gist of Helen's letter to Fowler?
6. When Fowler goes to see Mr. Heng after the Garnier bomb, what request does Heng make of him?
7. What happens to them on the way back?
8. Why is Pyle upset that the bomb had gone off that day?
9. What evidence is there that Vigot knows Fowler is involved in some way with Pyle's murder?
10. What does Fowler witness with Mr. Heng who had called him to big store at the corner of Boulevard Charner?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)