|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Fowler's reply to Vigot's question about who is York Harding?
(a) I don't know. I haven't read the book.
(b) The man who killed Pyle from a long distance
(c) Pyle never got around to telling me.
(d) A hack writer from Canada
2. Returning home, who does Fowler find in his apartment?
3. When Fowler's car runs out of gas, what does he have to do to get to a Vietnamese lookout?
(a) He climbs a rope ladder and is terrified.
(b) He blinks his car lights to draw attention.
(c) He honks his horn with a secret signal.
(d) He and Pyle puch the car a hundred meters down the road.
4. What does Mr. Heng ask Fowler?
(a) If Pyle is really his friend?
(b) If he has any information about Pyle.
(c) If he really wants to stop Pyle.
(d) If Pyle knows York Harding.
5. What was York Harding's experience in Indochina?
(a) He had been there for one week once on his way from Bangkok to Tokoyo.
(b) Harding used French press reports to write his book.
(c) Harding got his information from refugees who came to America.
(d) Harding had never set foot in Vietnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the two American girls hastily leave The Pavillon?
2. What does Vigot want Fowler to tell him?
3. When Pyle arrives, why does he say he is surprised that Fowler gave him an invitation to visit?
4. Why are Fowler and Pyle marooned in the Vietnamese tower?
5. What is Fowler's reaction when the Pope's deputy holds out his hand with a huge ring on his finger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Fowler in that situation?
2. Who are the Caodaists and why does Fowler go to where they are?
3. After Pyle takes Phuong away, where did Fowler go with Captain Trouin?
4. After his stay in the hospital, where does Fowler find Phuong?
5. What does Fowler witness with Mr. Heng who had called him to big store at the corner of Boulevard Charner?
6. What makes work more difficult for Fowler with his leg in a cast?
7. What did Fowler find at the garage of Mr. Muoi?
8. What does Fowler wish he had had the guts to do while Vigot was there?
9. What important person does Fowler meet at the insistence of Dominguez?
10. Almost in spite of himself, what advice is Fowler compelled to give Pyle?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)