|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Pyle trying to hide but everyone suspects anyway?
(a) That he has a venereal disease.
(b) That he is there on some kind of secret mission.
(c) That he is really from Russia.
(d) That he does not really like girls.
2. Where and with whom is Thomas Fowler as The Quiet American begins?
(a) He is flying into Saigon from a trip he made to England.
(b) He is walking along the beach on the China Sea.
(c) He is at the Continental having a cappuccino with his editor.
(d) The story opens with Fowler in his rooms over the rue Catinat in Saigon with his beautiful young lover Phuong.
3. After Pyle leaves, how long does it take Fowler to get to Saigon?
(a) Two months
(b) Three weeks
(c) Ten days
(d) Three days
4. Who comes to the table to talk to Fowler while Pyle and Phuong are dancing?
(a) A French soldier asks Fowler for a light.
(b) Miss Hei, Phuong's older sister, comes to speak to Fowler.
(c) Lieutenant Virot comes to join Fowler.
(d) The Continental manager comes over to Fowler's table.
5. What is Phuong's favorite reading subject matter?
(a) The British Royal Family, especially Princess Margaret
(b) The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire
(c) The latest scandals in Hollywood
(d) The stock market in the Wall Street Journal
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Pyle and Fowler want to go?
2. What is the difference between Fowler and Pyle?
3. What does Phuong tell Vigot about her and Pyle?
4. How does the telegram affect Fowler?
5. What is Alden Pyle's publicly known job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the French manipulate the foreign press corps during the war.
2. What does Granger say about covering a war?
3. What is the purpose for having Fowler and Phuong go to the Surete to see Vigot?
4. What is the strange scene when Phuong comes in while Pyle is still there?
5. When Granger pins the colonel down on the fact that supplies have not arrived for the army at the front, what happens?
6. How does Phuong take the news of Pyle's death?
7. What news does Bill Granger offer about the war in the North when the Economic Attache asks?
8. Why does Fowler want to answer Vigot's questions quickly and get out of his office?
9. Incredibly, what does Pyle ask Fowler to do?
10. What suggestions does Fowler offer Vigot as to who might have killed Pyle?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)