|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information does Fowler offer Pyle?
(a) He tells Pyle at what times of the day what roads and parts of town are safe.
(b) He tells Pyle how to bargain with a trishaw driver.
(c) He tells Pyle where to find beautiful Vietnamese women.
(d) He tells Pyle where to find a great Vietnamese tailor.
2. After Pyle leaves, how long does it take Fowler to get to Saigon?
(a) Two months
(b) Three days
(c) Three weeks
(d) Ten days
3. What feeling does Vigot reveal about Pyle's murder?
(a) Vigot says he is not sorry that Pyle is dead because he was causing a lot of harm.
(b) He says he has no feeling because he never met Pyle.
(c) He cannot believe someone would kill such a gentle person.
(d) He is sad that they got Pyle instead of some outrageous American.
4. How does Pyle treat Phuong when they first meet?
(a) He treats her as if she were not there.
(b) He treats her as if she were a fine lady.
(c) He treats her as an older person.
(d) He treats her as if she were a street walker.
5. What is the name of York's theory In which Pyle believes?
(a) The Magnum Force
(b) The Third Force
(c) The Mind's Eye
(d) The Last Stand
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the people take refuge?
2. What does Fowler do to see who will win Phuong?
3. What seems to be Vigot's main concern?
4. Fowler has a good story, so why does he not send it?
5. What does Fowler think is Pyle's obsession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the old women on the street near Thomas Fowler's apartment.
2. Why does Fowler want to answer Vigot's questions quickly and get out of his office?
3. What does Granger say about covering a war?
4. What language does Pyle use that Fowler sees as boyish and naive?
5. When Fowler moves out with a patrol getting out of the area of Phat Diem, who comes in the middle of the night? Why had he come?
6. What is the purpose for having Fowler and Phuong go to the Surete to see Vigot?
7. What is so annoying about the letter from Pyle that is waiting for Fowler when he finally gets home?
8. The morning after Pyle's murder, what is Phuong's concern?
9. What happens when Pyle invites himself over for a drink?
10. What is the strange scene when Phuong comes in while Pyle is still there?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)