|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phuong tell Vigot about her and Pyle?
(a) She says there is nothing going on between her and Pyle.
(b) She says that for the past month she has been living with Pyle. They will be married soon.
(c) She pretends she does not understand and does not reply.
(d) She says that Pyle is her sister's boyfriend.
2. What is it about Pyle that particularly annoys Fowler?
(a) Pyle's secretive nature that hints he is someone important.
(b) Pyle's cockiness that, given a choice, Phuong will choose him over Fowler.
(c) Pyle's attitude of moral superiority because he doesn't smoke opium.
(d) Pyle's ignorance of his own naivte.
3. Where and with whom is Thomas Fowler as The Quiet American begins?
(a) He is at the Continental having a cappuccino with his editor.
(b) The story opens with Fowler in his rooms over the rue Catinat in Saigon with his beautiful young lover Phuong.
(c) He is flying into Saigon from a trip he made to England.
(d) He is walking along the beach on the China Sea.
4. Besides Phuong, why does Fowler really want to stay in Vietnam?
(a) He thinks he can be an editor in Vietnam.
(b) He wants to put Pyle in his place.
(c) He thinks there is going to be a major break for the French in the war soon.
(d) He takes pride in his apathy and lack of views. He does not want to be an editor but an observer.
5. Why does Pyle feel the need to speak to Fowler at all?
(a) He wants Fowler to order Phuong out of his house.
(b) He thinks Fowler is like Phuong's father and he wants his permission to marry her.
(c) He is ready to kill Fowler if he objects.
(d) He is in love with Phuong and wants to do the honorable thing by Fowler.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the American Attache upset?
2. Why does Fowler suddenly have a big suspicion about Pyle?
3. After Pyle leaves, what does Phuong do for Fowler?
4. What is Fowler thinking as he watches Pyle and Phuong dancing?
5. How does Fowler get to the city of Phat Diem?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fowler offers Pyle a drink of whiskey, how does the conversation go?
2. The morning after Pyle's murder, what is Phuong's concern?
3. At the press conference, what is the French colonel's response to the question of French casualties?
4. Describe the old women on the street near Thomas Fowler's apartment.
5. How does Phuong take the news of Pyle's death?
6. What is it about Pyle that Fowler cannot put into his cable to his newspaper?
7. In a flashback, describe how Pyle meets Fowler and Phuong.
8. What signifies a difference in dress between the South and the North of Vietnam?
9. What does Fowler see when he goes to Phat Diem?
10. What suggestions does Fowler offer Vigot as to who might have killed Pyle?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)