|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Phuong unhappy with Pyle and not want to see him?
(a) Because he has not paid Hei any marriage money.
(b) Because he did not get the job for Hei.
(c) Because he never came to see her while Fowler was away.
(d) Because her sister does not approve of him.
2. What procession is formed in the city of Phat Diem?
(a) A mock evacuation drill
(b) A rice harvest festival parade
(c) A procession to celebrate Our Lady of fatima
(d) A Buddhist celebration procession
3. How does Joe the Attache speak crudely about Phuong?
(a) He refers to Phuong as Fowler's piece of tail.
(b) He refers to all Vietnamese women as whores.
(c) He asks Phuong what she charges by the hour.
(d) He brags that he once had her when she worked in the dancehall.
4. Why does Fowler go to Pyle's apartment?
(a) To find a book he had lent Pyle
(b) To look for clues
(c) To meeti with Vigot
(d) To pick up Phuong's things
5. What is the conflicting report about the war in the North?
(a) The attache says the Vietminh are retreating but Granger says they are coming to Saigon.
(b) Granger says General The is fighting with the French and the attache says General The is dead.
(c) Some say the Americans are pulling out and others say the Germans are coming.
(d) Granger says the French are doing well in the northwest, but the Attaché reports that the Vietminh are about to take Phat Diem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Attache put in the wire to Pyle's parents?
2. How do Fowler and the others eventually leave Phat Diem?
3. What is in the telegram Fowler receives form London?
4. What rumors about Pyle have been circulated and find their way to Phuong?
5. What ridiculous suggestion does Pyle make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pyle invites himself over for a drink?
2. Tell of Alden Pyle's fascination with York Harding.
3. What is Fowler's reaction to the priest who offers to take his confession?
4. Incredibly, what does Pyle ask Fowler to do?
5. What is so annoying about the letter from Pyle that is waiting for Fowler when he finally gets home?
6. What is the purpose for having Fowler and Phuong go to the Surete to see Vigot?
7. What does Fowler take away from Pyle's apartment?
8. What suggestions does Fowler offer Vigot as to who might have killed Pyle?
9. Describe how the French manipulate the foreign press corps during the war.
10. What is the superstition in Vietnam about lovers who smoke opium?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)