|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Heng say he knew about the bomb in the Garnier?
(a) Someone called him.
(b) Pyle told him.
(c) It was on the radio.
(d) The police had been to Mr. Muoi's house.
2. What comment does Vigot make when Fowler says that Pyle got mixed up.
(a) Vigot says, "Are you sure?"
(b) Vigot says, "Don't we all?"
(c) Vigot says, "That's too bad."
(d) Vigot says, "You never do, do you?"
3. What does Fowler discover at Mr. Muoi's garage?
(a) The molds for making bombs are there.
(b) Mr. Muoi had been shot.
(c) There was a note from Pyle on Muoi's desk.
(d) Muoi and his men all all gone; there is an old press there.
4. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
(a) Mr. Heng
(b) Joe, the Economic Attache
(c) Miss Hei
5. How does Mr. Heng greet Fowler when he comes to visit?
(a) He is agitated because he was having a meeting.
(b) He is surprised that Fowler would come after the bombing.
(c) He says he is always glad to see him.
(d) He tells Fowler to go away and he will contact him later.
6. What does Fowler wish he had the courage for after Vigot leaves?
(a) To make his own opium pipe
(b) To pack up and leave Indochina
(c) To commit suicide
(d) To call and say, "I did see Pyle that night."
7. Who is rumored to be on the mountain?
(a) A French radar unit
(b) The Pope's harem of 3,000 women
(c) General The and his troops
(d) The Buddha, Christ and Confucious
8. What happens right after the American girls leave The Pavillon?
(a) A bomb goes off near the bar.
(b) It begins to rain heavily.
(c) Pyle enters with a disguised General The.
(d) A French woman comes to Fowler's table.
9. When someone does knock on Fowler's door, who is it?
(c) Mr. Chou
10. Why does Fowler go to The Pavillon after leaving the apartment on rue Catinat?
(a) To find Vigot and ask about Pyle
(b) To see if Phuong is there
(c) To meet Joe, the Economic Attache
(d) To avoid seeing Phuong at the Milk Fountain
11. What does Captain Trouin say he hates most about the war?
(a) The long hours
(b) The dead children
(c) The night flights
(d) The napalm bombing
12. What does Fowler ask Mr. Heng about Pyle?
(a) If Vigot has any connection to Pyle.
(b) How he came to meet Pyle.
(c) Who Pyle's chief is.
(d) If Phuong is safe with Pyle.
13. What does Fowler later have to admit?
(a) That Pyle was really the better man.
(b) That he had sent Pyle on a fool's errand.
(c) That Pyle followed his instructions to the letter.
(d) That Phuong would have been better off with Pyle.
14. What is Fowler's reaction when the Pope's deputy holds out his hand with a huge ring on his finger?
(a) He wonders how many karats it was.
(b) He leaves the way the deputy was pointing.
(c) He shakes the deputy's hand.
(d) He refuses to kiss it.
15. What does Fowler learn from Mr. Chou's manager, Mr. Heng?
(a) That Pyle is buying military equipment from Mr. Chou.
(b) That Pyle is planning to kidnap Phuong.
(c) That the Economic Attache is receiving goods for Pyle.
(d) He sees plastics and a mold for Pyle that got opened by mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Caodaists' churches look like?
2. How does Mr. Heng express his agreement with Fowler?
3. What is Caodaism?
4. What does Vigot want to do without Phuong being present?
5. Why does Fowler tell Pyle he should have a few bad motives?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)