|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pyle accuse Fowler of doing to keep Phuong for himself?
(a) Getting her pregnant
(b) Bribing Miss Hei
2. Why does Pyle want to take Phuong to America to get married?
(a) He wants to get her as far away from Fowler as he can.
(b) He thinks an Indochina marriage might not be legal.
(c) He thinks Phuong deserves a big, expenisve wedding.
(d) He thinks his mother would be there to acclimate Phuong.
3. When someone does knock on Fowler's door, who is it?
(d) Mr. Chou
4. What is Fowler's reply to Vigot's question about who is York Harding?
(a) The man who killed Pyle from a long distance
(b) A hack writer from Canada
(c) Pyle never got around to telling me.
(d) I don't know. I haven't read the book.
5. What comment does Vigot make when Fowler says that Pyle got mixed up.
(a) Vigot says, "Don't we all?"
(b) Vigot says, "You never do, do you?"
(c) Vigot says, "Are you sure?"
(d) Vigot says, "That's too bad."
6. What did Fowler go to see in the other end of rue Catinat?
(a) An apartment for sale
(b) An art collection
(c) A used car
(d) A new movie house
7. What does Fowler wish he had the courage for after Vigot leaves?
(a) To call and say, "I did see Pyle that night."
(b) To pack up and leave Indochina
(c) To commit suicide
(d) To make his own opium pipe
8. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
(a) As an important government official
(b) As an idealist like Pyle
(c) As a remnant of the old colonialists
(d) As an ugly American
9. When Fowler rushes out to see if he can find Phuong in the wreckage, what does Pyle tell him?
(a) Go home, Phuong is waiting there.
(b) Get out of here, there's nothing you can do!
(c) Phuong is at the attache's office.
(d) She's not there, I warned her not to go.
10. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
(b) Joe, the Economic Attache
(c) Miss Hei
(d) Mr. Heng
11. Why does Fowler tell Pyle he should have a few bad motives?
(a) So he would end up in jail.
(b) So he could understand human beings better.
(c) So he could use them to keep Phuong.
(d) So he could survive in Indochina.
12. When Fowler's car runs out of gas, what does he have to do to get to a Vietnamese lookout?
(a) He blinks his car lights to draw attention.
(b) He and Pyle puch the car a hundred meters down the road.
(c) He honks his horn with a secret signal.
(d) He climbs a rope ladder and is terrified.
13. Why does Phuong open the telegram before Fowler gets home?
(a) She thought is was a money gram.
(b) She thought it might be something she should take to him in the hospital.
(c) She says telegrams are public.
(d) She thought it might be from his wife.
14. What do Caodaists' churches look like?
(a) Stone squares with minarets at the four corners
(b) Green domes with a hole in the top
(c) Pink and blue with a huge eye of God over the door
(d) Golden pagodas
15. What does Fowler think of the speech the deputy Pope of Caodaism gives him?
(a) That it is the hope of the Vietnamese people.
(b) That it is canned and insincere.
(c) That it is incomprehensible.
(d) That is the sincere belief of the Caodaists.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pyle arrives, why does he say he is surprised that Fowler gave him an invitation to visit?
2. Who gets a job for Miss Hei with the Americans?
3. What is Fowler's concern as he returns to his rooms after being in the hospital?
4. What does Vigot want Fowler to tell him?
5. Who is rumored to be on the mountain?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)