|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Fowler's reply to Vigot's question about who is York Harding?
(a) Pyle never got around to telling me.
(b) The man who killed Pyle from a long distance
(c) A hack writer from Canada
(d) I don't know. I haven't read the book.
2. After Fowler leaves a message for Pyle, what does he think he might accomplish?
(a) Go to the Surete and tell them everything he knows about the bombing.
(b) Perhaps warn Pyle of the danger he is in and get him to stop what he is doing.
(c) Get Pyle to leave immediately with Phuong because she is in danger.
(d) Talk Pyle into taking an emergency trip to America.
3. Why does Pyle want to take Phuong to America to get married?
(a) He thinks an Indochina marriage might not be legal.
(b) He thinks Phuong deserves a big, expenisve wedding.
(c) He wants to get her as far away from Fowler as he can.
(d) He thinks his mother would be there to acclimate Phuong.
4. What does the second letter from Fowler's editor say?
(a) He gives fowler another six months.
(b) He agrees that Fowler should stay in Saigon.
(c) He says Fowler can stay if he accepts a salary cut.
(d) He writes that Fowler will come home or lose his job.
5. When Fowler and Pyle talk, against what does Fowler warn Pyle?
(a) Trusting Joe too much
(b) Trusting Vigot and the Surete
(c) Believing in York's Third Force
(d) Negotiating with the Vietminh
6. What happens when someone comes demanding that Pyle and Fowler be brought down?
(a) Fowler jumps and breaks his ankle; Pyle comes down the ladder; the tower explodes.
(b) Pyle says it must be a French patrol he had been expecting.
(c) Fowler is relieved that General The's men have come to get them.
(d) Fowler and Pyle find a back way out and escape.
7. What does Vigot want Fowler to tell him?
(a) That he had seen Pyle the night he was murdered.
(b) That Pyle had told him what he was doing in Indochina.
(c) That he had been keeping Pyle's dog for a week.
(d) That Pyle told Fowler who was trying to murder him.
8. What does Vigot say he dislikes most about his job?
(a) Chasing illegal gamblers
(b) The stupid people who work under him
(c) Spending so much time in mortuaries
(d) All the paperwork
9. What does Fowler realize about bicycle pumps?
(a) They were used to inflate rafts.
(b) They were being replaced with rifle mounts.
(c) The mold at Mr. Muoi's iss shaped like a half section of a bicycle pump.
(d) They could be made into makeshift mortar firers.
10. When Fowler's car runs out of gas, what does he have to do to get to a Vietnamese lookout?
(a) He blinks his car lights to draw attention.
(b) He honks his horn with a secret signal.
(c) He and Pyle puch the car a hundred meters down the road.
(d) He climbs a rope ladder and is terrified.
11. Back in the present time, what does Fowler do to get Phuong out of the house when Vigot arrives?
(a) He sends her to the movies.
(b) He hides her in a back room.
(c) He hide her under his bed.
(d) He sends her to her sister.
12. Returning home, who does Fowler find in his apartment?
13. How does Mr. Heng say he knew about the bomb in the Garnier?
(a) The police had been to Mr. Muoi's house.
(b) Someone called him.
(c) It was on the radio.
(d) Pyle told him.
14. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
(a) Joe, the Economic Attache
(b) Miss Hei
(c) Mr. Heng
15. Why does Vigot say that he does not believe Fowler killed Pyle?
(a) Because Fowler would not have the stomach for murder.
(b) Because one does not take a book of an enemy for a souvenir.
(c) Because Fowler's alibi checks out.
(d) Because Fowler has been cooperative.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fowler's concern as he returns to his rooms after being in the hospital?
2. What has made Vigot's day so long and tiring?
3. What happens at the fountain in front of the big store?
4. Why does Fowler say he wants to find another flat?
5. What does Fowler wish he had the courage for after Vigot leaves?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)