|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens right after the American girls leave The Pavillon?
(a) Pyle enters with a disguised General The.
(b) A bomb goes off near the bar.
(c) A French woman comes to Fowler's table.
(d) It begins to rain heavily.
2. What does the second letter from Fowler's editor say?
(a) He gives fowler another six months.
(b) He writes that Fowler will come home or lose his job.
(c) He says Fowler can stay if he accepts a salary cut.
(d) He agrees that Fowler should stay in Saigon.
3. What did Fowler go to see in the other end of rue Catinat?
(a) A used car
(b) An apartment for sale
(c) A new movie house
(d) An art collection
4. What happens when someone comes demanding that Pyle and Fowler be brought down?
(a) Fowler is relieved that General The's men have come to get them.
(b) Pyle says it must be a French patrol he had been expecting.
(c) Fowler and Pyle find a back way out and escape.
(d) Fowler jumps and breaks his ankle; Pyle comes down the ladder; the tower explodes.
5. Returning to the time after Pyle's murder, what does Vigot tell Fowler?
(a) They know who murdered Pyle.
(b) They found Pyle's dog with its throat cut.
(c) They still have not found the dog.
(d) They cremated Pyle's body.
6. Returning home, who does Fowler find in his apartment?
7. Why does Fowler tell Pyle he should have a few bad motives?
(a) So he could understand human beings better.
(b) So he would end up in jail.
(c) So he could use them to keep Phuong.
(d) So he could survive in Indochina.
8. What does Fowler discover at 3:00 a.m.?
(a) His opium has been stolen.
(b) The men from the Surete are at his door.
(c) His apartment has been broken into.
(d) Phuong has moved out.
9. How does Fowler dismiss Pyle when he comes to visit?
(a) "Get out and grow up."
(b) "Go away to your Third Force and play with your plastics."
(c) "Get out of my house before I shoot you."
(d) "Go read some more of your York Harding books."
10. Why does Fowler say he wants to find another flat?
(a) He plans on moving Dominguez in with him.
(b) There is too much of Phuong where he is.
(c) He's planning on bringing Helen here.
(d) He doesn't need that many rooms.
11. What does Fowler realize about bicycle pumps?
(a) The mold at Mr. Muoi's iss shaped like a half section of a bicycle pump.
(b) They were used to inflate rafts.
(c) They could be made into makeshift mortar firers.
(d) They were being replaced with rifle mounts.
12. What does Vigot say he dislikes most about his job?
(a) Spending so much time in mortuaries
(b) The stupid people who work under him
(c) All the paperwork
(d) Chasing illegal gamblers
13. What does Fowler later have to admit?
(a) That Phuong would have been better off with Pyle.
(b) That Pyle followed his instructions to the letter.
(c) That Pyle was really the better man.
(d) That he had sent Pyle on a fool's errand.
14. Back in the present time, what does Fowler do to get Phuong out of the house when Vigot arrives?
(a) He sends her to the movies.
(b) He sends her to her sister.
(c) He hide her under his bed.
(d) He hides her in a back room.
15. What does Fowler think of the speech the deputy Pope of Caodaism gives him?
(a) That it is incomprehensible.
(b) That it is canned and insincere.
(c) That is the sincere belief of the Caodaists.
(d) That it is the hope of the Vietnamese people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fowler tell Vigot he should have become?
2. What is Fowler forced to do since Dominguez is out of commission?
3. Why are Fowler and Pyle marooned in the Vietnamese tower?
4. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
5. Why does Pyle want to take Phuong to America to get married?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)