|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the cardinals of Caodaism?
(a) They are all women.
(b) They are monkeys from the sacred mountain.
(c) They are men from the villages.
(d) They are soldiers in disguise.
2. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
(b) Miss Hei
(c) Mr. Heng
(d) Joe, the Economic Attache
3. What does Captain Trouin say he hates most about the war?
(a) The long hours
(b) The dead children
(c) The napalm bombing
(d) The night flights
4. When Fowler rushes out to see if he can find Phuong in the wreckage, what does Pyle tell him?
(a) Go home, Phuong is waiting there.
(b) She's not there, I warned her not to go.
(c) Phuong is at the attache's office.
(d) Get out of here, there's nothing you can do!
5. Returning to the time after Pyle's murder, what does Vigot tell Fowler?
(a) They still have not found the dog.
(b) They cremated Pyle's body.
(c) They found Pyle's dog with its throat cut.
(d) They know who murdered Pyle.
6. How does Mr. Heng greet Fowler when he comes to visit?
(a) He tells Fowler to go away and he will contact him later.
(b) He is agitated because he was having a meeting.
(c) He says he is always glad to see him.
(d) He is surprised that Fowler would come after the bombing.
7. What was York Harding's experience in Indochina?
(a) Harding got his information from refugees who came to America.
(b) He had been there for one week once on his way from Bangkok to Tokoyo.
(c) Harding had never set foot in Vietnam.
(d) Harding used French press reports to write his book.
8. What drink does Pyle offer Fowler in Tanyin?
(c) Lime juice
(d) Warm beer
9. What does Mr. Heng ask Fowler?
(a) If Pyle is really his friend?
(b) If he really wants to stop Pyle.
(c) If he has any information about Pyle.
(d) If Pyle knows York Harding.
10. What does Dominguez do when Fowler swats at a mosquito droning near his ear?
(a) He kills it when Fowler misses.
(b) He winces.
(c) He gets the bug spray.
(d) He applauds.
11. What does Mr. Heng say that reminds him of Captain Trouin?
(a) "Forget the carnage and think of the future."
(b) "Sooner or later, one has to take sides if one is to remain human."
(c) "We do what we have to do."
(d) "War is hell."
12. What does Fowler discover at Mr. Muoi's garage?
(a) Mr. Muoi had been shot.
(b) There was a note from Pyle on Muoi's desk.
(c) The molds for making bombs are there.
(d) Muoi and his men all all gone; there is an old press there.
13. When Fowler's car runs out of gas, what does he have to do to get to a Vietnamese lookout?
(a) He climbs a rope ladder and is terrified.
(b) He honks his horn with a secret signal.
(c) He blinks his car lights to draw attention.
(d) He and Pyle puch the car a hundred meters down the road.
14. What is Fowler's reaction when the Pope's deputy holds out his hand with a huge ring on his finger?
(a) He refuses to kiss it.
(b) He shakes the deputy's hand.
(c) He leaves the way the deputy was pointing.
(d) He wonders how many karats it was.
15. What takes Fowler's mind off Pyle and Phuong for a few minutes?
(a) He has his cast removed.
(b) He witnesses a murder on the rue Catinat.
(c) He goes along on a French air raid.
(d) He overdoses on opium.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Fowler leaves a message for Pyle, what does he think he might accomplish?
2. What does Pyle accuse Fowler of doing to keep Phuong for himself?
3. What is Fowler forced to do since Dominguez is out of commission?
4. What is Helen's answer to Fowler about getting a divorce?
5. What did Fowler go to see in the other end of rue Catinat?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)