|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Caodaism?
(a) A philosophy of a blend of communism and capitalism.
(b) A religion that started in Vietnam and spreak to Korea.
(c) A religious front for a counter military insurgency.
(d) A cult religion that blends Confucianism, Christianit, and Buddhism.
2. Why does Pyle want to take Phuong to America to get married?
(a) He thinks an Indochina marriage might not be legal.
(b) He thinks Phuong deserves a big, expenisve wedding.
(c) He thinks his mother would be there to acclimate Phuong.
(d) He wants to get her as far away from Fowler as he can.
3. What is Fowler forced to do since Dominguez is out of commission?
(a) Take trishaws everywhere he needs to go
(b) Attend wearisome press conferences and hobble to the Continental for gossip
(c) Do his own writing to send to London
(d) Stay at home and send Phuong to run errands
4. When Fowler rushes out to see if he can find Phuong in the wreckage, what does Pyle tell him?
(a) Phuong is at the attache's office.
(b) Get out of here, there's nothing you can do!
(c) Go home, Phuong is waiting there.
(d) She's not there, I warned her not to go.
5. What does Mr. Heng say that reminds him of Captain Trouin?
(a) "Forget the carnage and think of the future."
(b) "We do what we have to do."
(c) "Sooner or later, one has to take sides if one is to remain human."
(d) "War is hell."
6. How does Mr. Heng greet Fowler when he comes to visit?
(a) He is agitated because he was having a meeting.
(b) He tells Fowler to go away and he will contact him later.
(c) He is surprised that Fowler would come after the bombing.
(d) He says he is always glad to see him.
7. What happens right after the American girls leave The Pavillon?
(a) Pyle enters with a disguised General The.
(b) It begins to rain heavily.
(c) A French woman comes to Fowler's table.
(d) A bomb goes off near the bar.
8. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
(a) Mr. Heng
(b) Joe, the Economic Attache
(d) Miss Hei
9. Why are Fowler and Pyle marooned in the Vietnamese tower?
(a) It is past curfew.
(b) There is shooting down below.
(c) The rope ladder has been taken away.
(d) There is no gasoline near there.
10. After leaving the Attache's office, what does Fowler say he did in the men's lavatory?
(a) He cried.
(b) He threw up.
(c) He stole the hand soap.
(d) He wrote on the mirror.
11. How does Mr. Heng express his agreement with Fowler?
(a) He agrees that Pyle needs to be restrained.
(b) He says he agrees that Pyle is too young.
(c) He says he agrees that Pyle had nothing to do with the bombs.
(d) He says he agrees that it is not safe to ask too many questions.
12. What takes Fowler's mind off Pyle and Phuong for a few minutes?
(a) He goes along on a French air raid.
(b) He witnesses a murder on the rue Catinat.
(c) He overdoses on opium.
(d) He has his cast removed.
13. What does Vigot want Fowler to tell him?
(a) That he had seen Pyle the night he was murdered.
(b) That Pyle told Fowler who was trying to murder him.
(c) That Pyle had told him what he was doing in Indochina.
(d) That he had been keeping Pyle's dog for a week.
14. What does Fowler discover at Mr. Muoi's garage?
(a) Muoi and his men all all gone; there is an old press there.
(b) Mr. Muoi had been shot.
(c) The molds for making bombs are there.
(d) There was a note from Pyle on Muoi's desk.
15. Returning to the time after Pyle's murder, what does Vigot tell Fowler?
(a) They still have not found the dog.
(b) They found Pyle's dog with its throat cut.
(c) They know who murdered Pyle.
(d) They cremated Pyle's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does Pyle offer Fowler in Tanyin?
2. What is behind the Holy See as one approaches Tanyin?
3. Why does Vigot say that he does not believe Fowler killed Pyle?
4. What does the second letter from Fowler's editor say?
5. Who gets a job for Miss Hei with the Americans?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)