|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Fowler's assistant, Dominguez?
(a) He is in a coma.
(b) He has been kidnapped.
(c) He has deserted to the Vietminh.
(d) He has become ill and cannot work.
2. What does Fowler think of the speech the deputy Pope of Caodaism gives him?
(a) That it is the hope of the Vietnamese people.
(b) That it is canned and insincere.
(c) That it is incomprehensible.
(d) That is the sincere belief of the Caodaists.
3. Returning home, who does Fowler find in his apartment?
4. What is Heng's answer when Fowler asks if he had anything to do with the bombing?
(a) He says he would not be so stupid.
(b) He says it is up to the police to find the culprit.
(c) He says he was nowhere near the Garnier.
(d) He says Fowler should not ask too many questions.
5. Why are Fowler and Pyle marooned in the Vietnamese tower?
(a) There is shooting down below.
(b) It is past curfew.
(c) There is no gasoline near there.
(d) The rope ladder has been taken away.
6. Why does Phuong open the telegram before Fowler gets home?
(a) She thought is was a money gram.
(b) She says telegrams are public.
(c) She thought it might be from his wife.
(d) She thought it might be something she should take to him in the hospital.
7. How does Mr. Heng greet Fowler when he comes to visit?
(a) He is surprised that Fowler would come after the bombing.
(b) He tells Fowler to go away and he will contact him later.
(c) He says he is always glad to see him.
(d) He is agitated because he was having a meeting.
8. What is Fowler's reply to Vigot's question about who is York Harding?
(a) The man who killed Pyle from a long distance
(b) A hack writer from Canada
(c) I don't know. I haven't read the book.
(d) Pyle never got around to telling me.
9. How does Mr. Heng express his agreement with Fowler?
(a) He agrees that Pyle needs to be restrained.
(b) He says he agrees that Pyle had nothing to do with the bombs.
(c) He says he agrees that it is not safe to ask too many questions.
(d) He says he agrees that Pyle is too young.
10. After leaving the Attache's office, what does Fowler say he did in the men's lavatory?
(a) He cried.
(b) He wrote on the mirror.
(c) He stole the hand soap.
(d) He threw up.
11. What does Fowler learn from Mr. Chou's manager, Mr. Heng?
(a) That the Economic Attache is receiving goods for Pyle.
(b) That Pyle is planning to kidnap Phuong.
(c) He sees plastics and a mold for Pyle that got opened by mistake.
(d) That Pyle is buying military equipment from Mr. Chou.
12. What was York Harding's experience in Indochina?
(a) Harding had never set foot in Vietnam.
(b) Harding got his information from refugees who came to America.
(c) Harding used French press reports to write his book.
(d) He had been there for one week once on his way from Bangkok to Tokoyo.
13. What happens right after the American girls leave The Pavillon?
(a) Pyle enters with a disguised General The.
(b) It begins to rain heavily.
(c) A bomb goes off near the bar.
(d) A French woman comes to Fowler's table.
14. What do Caodaists' churches look like?
(a) Golden pagodas
(b) Pink and blue with a huge eye of God over the door
(c) Green domes with a hole in the top
(d) Stone squares with minarets at the four corners
15. What happens at the fountain in front of the big store?
(a) The police have blocked off the street to the fountain.
(b) Three bicycles put there by the police explode.
(c) Pyle is keeping people away from the fountain.
(d) People are diving into the fountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when someone comes demanding that Pyle and Fowler be brought down?
2. Why does Fowler want to read Phuong's thoughts?
3. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
4. When Fowler and Pyle talk, against what does Fowler warn Pyle?
5. Why does Fowler say he wants to find another flat?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)