|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Returning to the time after Pyle's murder, what does Vigot tell Fowler?
(a) They still have not found the dog.
(b) They know who murdered Pyle.
(c) They found Pyle's dog with its throat cut.
(d) They cremated Pyle's body.
2. What happens when someone comes demanding that Pyle and Fowler be brought down?
(a) Fowler is relieved that General The's men have come to get them.
(b) Fowler and Pyle find a back way out and escape.
(c) Fowler jumps and breaks his ankle; Pyle comes down the ladder; the tower explodes.
(d) Pyle says it must be a French patrol he had been expecting.
3. What does Phuong give Fowler after he gets home?
(a) A massage.
(b) A marriage ultimatum.
(c) An opened telegram and the unopened letter from his wife.
(d) An opium pipe.
4. When someone does knock on Fowler's door, who is it?
(b) Mr. Chou
5. What takes Fowler's mind off Pyle and Phuong for a few minutes?
(a) He witnesses a murder on the rue Catinat.
(b) He goes along on a French air raid.
(c) He has his cast removed.
(d) He overdoses on opium.
6. Why do the two American girls hastily leave The Pavillon?
(a) They were hurrying to a hair salon appointment.
(b) Warren had warned them not to stay past eleven o'clock.
(c) They were going to a parade.
(d) One of them had a date at the movies.
7. What is behind the Holy See as one approaches Tanyin?
(a) The sacred mountain that looks like a bowler hat.
(b) A dark jungle
(c) The waterfalls of antiquity
(d) The palaces of the Pope of Caodaism
8. Why does Phuong open the telegram before Fowler gets home?
(a) She thought it might be something she should take to him in the hospital.
(b) She thought is was a money gram.
(c) She says telegrams are public.
(d) She thought it might be from his wife.
9. Why does Pyle want to take Phuong to America to get married?
(a) He thinks his mother would be there to acclimate Phuong.
(b) He thinks Phuong deserves a big, expenisve wedding.
(c) He wants to get her as far away from Fowler as he can.
(d) He thinks an Indochina marriage might not be legal.
10. What has made Vigot's day so long and tiring?
(a) Petty thefts and a few suicides
(b) Catching up on paperwork
(c) Meetings with the French Embassy
(d) Murder and sudden deaths
11. How does Mr. Heng say he knew about the bomb in the Garnier?
(a) Pyle told him.
(b) It was on the radio.
(c) Someone called him.
(d) The police had been to Mr. Muoi's house.
12. What did Fowler go to see in the other end of rue Catinat?
(a) An apartment for sale
(b) An art collection
(c) A used car
(d) A new movie house
13. What had Pyle done that was according to Harding's book?
(a) Brought in mercenaries to be a Third Force
(b) Built up a bicycle brigad to be his Third force
(c) Formed a Third Force of 2,000 bandits and two tame tigers
(d) Recruited Vietminh to form a Third Force
14. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
(a) As a remnant of the old colonialists
(b) As an ugly American
(c) As an important government official
(d) As an idealist like Pyle
15. Why does Fowler say he wants to find another flat?
(a) He plans on moving Dominguez in with him.
(b) He's planning on bringing Helen here.
(c) He doesn't need that many rooms.
(d) There is too much of Phuong where he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vigot want to do without Phuong being present?
2. What does Captain Trouin say he hates most about the war?
3. What was wrong with the bombing that day?
4. When Fowler and Pyle talk, against what does Fowler warn Pyle?
5. What weapon does Vigot say was used on Pyle?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)