|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens right after the American girls leave The Pavillon?
(a) It begins to rain heavily.
(b) A French woman comes to Fowler's table.
(c) Pyle enters with a disguised General The.
(d) A bomb goes off near the bar.
2. What has made Vigot's day so long and tiring?
(a) Catching up on paperwork
(b) Murder and sudden deaths
(c) Meetings with the French Embassy
(d) Petty thefts and a few suicides
3. When Fowler's car runs out of gas, what does he have to do to get to a Vietnamese lookout?
(a) He climbs a rope ladder and is terrified.
(b) He blinks his car lights to draw attention.
(c) He honks his horn with a secret signal.
(d) He and Pyle puch the car a hundred meters down the road.
4. Why do the two American girls hastily leave The Pavillon?
(a) Warren had warned them not to stay past eleven o'clock.
(b) One of them had a date at the movies.
(c) They were hurrying to a hair salon appointment.
(d) They were going to a parade.
5. What happens at the fountain in front of the big store?
(a) Pyle is keeping people away from the fountain.
(b) People are diving into the fountain.
(c) The police have blocked off the street to the fountain.
(d) Three bicycles put there by the police explode.
6. Why does Fowler tell Pyle he should have a few bad motives?
(a) So he could use them to keep Phuong.
(b) So he could survive in Indochina.
(c) So he would end up in jail.
(d) So he could understand human beings better.
7. After Fowler leaves a message for Pyle, what does he think he might accomplish?
(a) Go to the Surete and tell them everything he knows about the bombing.
(b) Perhaps warn Pyle of the danger he is in and get him to stop what he is doing.
(c) Talk Pyle into taking an emergency trip to America.
(d) Get Pyle to leave immediately with Phuong because she is in danger.
8. What does Fowler think of the speech the deputy Pope of Caodaism gives him?
(a) That is the sincere belief of the Caodaists.
(b) That it is the hope of the Vietnamese people.
(c) That it is canned and insincere.
(d) That it is incomprehensible.
9. Who is rumored to be on the mountain?
(a) The Buddha, Christ and Confucious
(b) A French radar unit
(c) General The and his troops
(d) The Pope's harem of 3,000 women
10. What is behind the Holy See as one approaches Tanyin?
(a) The sacred mountain that looks like a bowler hat.
(b) A dark jungle
(c) The palaces of the Pope of Caodaism
(d) The waterfalls of antiquity
11. What is Helen's answer to Fowler about getting a divorce?
(a) She agrees.
(b) The answer is no.
(c) She needs more time to think.
(d) Maybe, if he returns to England.
12. What does Mr. Heng say that reminds him of Captain Trouin?
(a) "Sooner or later, one has to take sides if one is to remain human."
(b) "Forget the carnage and think of the future."
(c) "We do what we have to do."
(d) "War is hell."
13. What does Fowler discover at 3:00 a.m.?
(a) His opium has been stolen.
(b) The men from the Surete are at his door.
(c) His apartment has been broken into.
(d) Phuong has moved out.
14. What does Mr. Heng want Fowler to do?
(a) He wants Fowler to find Pyle and talk some sense into him.
(b) He wants him to invite Pyle to dinner at the Vieux Moulin.
(c) He wants Fowler to go home and never return.
(d) He wants Fowler to kill Pyle.
15. What does the second letter from Fowler's editor say?
(a) He gives fowler another six months.
(b) He agrees that Fowler should stay in Saigon.
(c) He says Fowler can stay if he accepts a salary cut.
(d) He writes that Fowler will come home or lose his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon does Vigot say was used on Pyle?
2. What does Fowler realize about bicycle pumps?
3. When Pyle arrives, why does he say he is surprised that Fowler gave him an invitation to visit?
4. Who are the cardinals of Caodaism?
5. How does Fowler dismiss Pyle when he comes to visit?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)