|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was York Harding's experience in Indochina?
(a) Harding used French press reports to write his book.
(b) Harding got his information from refugees who came to America.
(c) Harding had never set foot in Vietnam.
(d) He had been there for one week once on his way from Bangkok to Tokoyo.
2. What does Fowler think of the speech the deputy Pope of Caodaism gives him?
(a) That is the sincere belief of the Caodaists.
(b) That it is the hope of the Vietnamese people.
(c) That it is canned and insincere.
(d) That it is incomprehensible.
3. What takes Fowler's mind off Pyle and Phuong for a few minutes?
(a) He has his cast removed.
(b) He goes along on a French air raid.
(c) He witnesses a murder on the rue Catinat.
(d) He overdoses on opium.
4. Why does Fowler want to read Phuong's thoughts?
(a) He thinks she knows something about the Vietminh.
(b) He thinks she wants to kill him.
(c) He thinks she is lonely.
(d) He thinks she is meeting Pyle.
5. What is behind the Holy See as one approaches Tanyin?
(a) A dark jungle
(b) The sacred mountain that looks like a bowler hat.
(c) The palaces of the Pope of Caodaism
(d) The waterfalls of antiquity
6. What happens right after the American girls leave The Pavillon?
(a) A French woman comes to Fowler's table.
(b) It begins to rain heavily.
(c) A bomb goes off near the bar.
(d) Pyle enters with a disguised General The.
7. Why are Fowler and Pyle marooned in the Vietnamese tower?
(a) The rope ladder has been taken away.
(b) It is past curfew.
(c) There is shooting down below.
(d) There is no gasoline near there.
8. What does Fowler discover at 3:00 a.m.?
(a) His opium has been stolen.
(b) Phuong has moved out.
(c) His apartment has been broken into.
(d) The men from the Surete are at his door.
9. Why does Pyle want to take Phuong to America to get married?
(a) He thinks his mother would be there to acclimate Phuong.
(b) He wants to get her as far away from Fowler as he can.
(c) He thinks an Indochina marriage might not be legal.
(d) He thinks Phuong deserves a big, expenisve wedding.
10. What is Fowler's reaction when the Pope's deputy holds out his hand with a huge ring on his finger?
(a) He wonders how many karats it was.
(b) He refuses to kiss it.
(c) He leaves the way the deputy was pointing.
(d) He shakes the deputy's hand.
11. What weapon does Vigot say was used on Pyle?
(a) A Smaurai sword
(b) A switchblade knife
(c) A meat cleaver
(d) A rusty bayonet
12. What is Fowler's concern as he returns to his rooms after being in the hospital?
(a) That he would not be able to make it up the stairs.
(b) That Phuong will not be there.
(c) That Phuong had moved her family into his apartment.
(d) That the letter from his wife had been opened.
13. What does Mr. Heng want Fowler to do?
(a) He wants Fowler to find Pyle and talk some sense into him.
(b) He wants Fowler to go home and never return.
(c) He wants Fowler to kill Pyle.
(d) He wants him to invite Pyle to dinner at the Vieux Moulin.
14. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
(a) As an ugly American
(b) As an important government official
(c) As a remnant of the old colonialists
(d) As an idealist like Pyle
15. Why does Fowler go to The Pavillon after leaving the apartment on rue Catinat?
(a) To see if Phuong is there
(b) To find Vigot and ask about Pyle
(c) To meet Joe, the Economic Attache
(d) To avoid seeing Phuong at the Milk Fountain
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the second letter from Fowler's editor say?
2. What was wrong with the bombing that day?
3. What is Helen's answer to Fowler about getting a divorce?
4. Who does Fowler run into in Tanyin?
5. Returning home, who does Fowler find in his apartment?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)