|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Returning to the time after Pyle's murder, what does Vigot tell Fowler?
(a) They still have not found the dog.
(b) They cremated Pyle's body.
(c) They found Pyle's dog with its throat cut.
(d) They know who murdered Pyle.
2. What has happened to Fowler's assistant, Dominguez?
(a) He is in a coma.
(b) He has become ill and cannot work.
(c) He has been kidnapped.
(d) He has deserted to the Vietminh.
3. When Fowler and Pyle talk, against what does Fowler warn Pyle?
(a) Negotiating with the Vietminh
(b) Believing in York's Third Force
(c) Trusting Vigot and the Surete
(d) Trusting Joe too much
4. Who does Fowler run into in Tanyin?
(c) Miss Hei
5. What does Fowler learn from Mr. Chou's manager, Mr. Heng?
(a) He sees plastics and a mold for Pyle that got opened by mistake.
(b) That the Economic Attache is receiving goods for Pyle.
(c) That Pyle is planning to kidnap Phuong.
(d) That Pyle is buying military equipment from Mr. Chou.
6. Who gets a job for Miss Hei with the Americans?
(b) Thomas Fowler
(c) Alden Pyle
(d) Joe, the Economic Attache
7. What does Fowler discover at 3:00 a.m.?
(a) The men from the Surete are at his door.
(b) His apartment has been broken into.
(c) Phuong has moved out.
(d) His opium has been stolen.
8. What does Vigot want Fowler to tell him?
(a) That Pyle had told him what he was doing in Indochina.
(b) That he had seen Pyle the night he was murdered.
(c) That he had been keeping Pyle's dog for a week.
(d) That Pyle told Fowler who was trying to murder him.
9. What is Fowler's reaction when the Pope's deputy holds out his hand with a huge ring on his finger?
(a) He shakes the deputy's hand.
(b) He refuses to kiss it.
(c) He wonders how many karats it was.
(d) He leaves the way the deputy was pointing.
10. What does Fowler wish he had the courage for after Vigot leaves?
(a) To commit suicide
(b) To make his own opium pipe
(c) To call and say, "I did see Pyle that night."
(d) To pack up and leave Indochina
11. What does Mr. Heng want Fowler to do?
(a) He wants him to invite Pyle to dinner at the Vieux Moulin.
(b) He wants Fowler to go home and never return.
(c) He wants Fowler to find Pyle and talk some sense into him.
(d) He wants Fowler to kill Pyle.
12. What did Fowler go to see in the other end of rue Catinat?
(a) An apartment for sale
(b) A used car
(c) An art collection
(d) A new movie house
13. Why does Phuong open the telegram before Fowler gets home?
(a) She says telegrams are public.
(b) She thought it might be something she should take to him in the hospital.
(c) She thought is was a money gram.
(d) She thought it might be from his wife.
14. What does the second letter from Fowler's editor say?
(a) He writes that Fowler will come home or lose his job.
(b) He agrees that Fowler should stay in Saigon.
(c) He gives fowler another six months.
(d) He says Fowler can stay if he accepts a salary cut.
15. What is Caodaism?
(a) A religious front for a counter military insurgency.
(b) A cult religion that blends Confucianism, Christianit, and Buddhism.
(c) A religion that started in Vietnam and spreak to Korea.
(d) A philosophy of a blend of communism and capitalism.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
2. What is Fowler forced to do since Dominguez is out of commission?
3. What drink does Pyle offer Fowler in Tanyin?
4. What is Helen's answer to Fowler about getting a divorce?
5. What does Pyle accuse Fowler of doing to keep Phuong for himself?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)