|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fowler dismiss Pyle when he comes to visit?
(a) "Get out and grow up."
(b) "Go read some more of your York Harding books."
(c) "Go away to your Third Force and play with your plastics."
(d) "Get out of my house before I shoot you."
2. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
(b) Joe, the Economic Attache
(c) Mr. Heng
(d) Miss Hei
3. What is Fowler forced to do since Dominguez is out of commission?
(a) Attend wearisome press conferences and hobble to the Continental for gossip
(b) Do his own writing to send to London
(c) Stay at home and send Phuong to run errands
(d) Take trishaws everywhere he needs to go
4. What does Dominguez do when Fowler swats at a mosquito droning near his ear?
(a) He gets the bug spray.
(b) He applauds.
(c) He winces.
(d) He kills it when Fowler misses.
5. When someone does knock on Fowler's door, who is it?
(c) Mr. Chou
6. What takes Fowler's mind off Pyle and Phuong for a few minutes?
(a) He overdoses on opium.
(b) He witnesses a murder on the rue Catinat.
(c) He goes along on a French air raid.
(d) He has his cast removed.
7. Why does Phuong open the telegram before Fowler gets home?
(a) She thought it might be something she should take to him in the hospital.
(b) She thought it might be from his wife.
(c) She says telegrams are public.
(d) She thought is was a money gram.
8. What does Captain Trouin say he hates most about the war?
(a) The dead children
(b) The napalm bombing
(c) The long hours
(d) The night flights
9. What does Mr. Heng ask Fowler?
(a) If Pyle is really his friend?
(b) If Pyle knows York Harding.
(c) If he really wants to stop Pyle.
(d) If he has any information about Pyle.
10. Why does Fowler say he wants to find another flat?
(a) He's planning on bringing Helen here.
(b) There is too much of Phuong where he is.
(c) He plans on moving Dominguez in with him.
(d) He doesn't need that many rooms.
11. What does Fowler discover at 3:00 a.m.?
(a) The men from the Surete are at his door.
(b) His apartment has been broken into.
(c) Phuong has moved out.
(d) His opium has been stolen.
12. What is Caodaism?
(a) A religious front for a counter military insurgency.
(b) A philosophy of a blend of communism and capitalism.
(c) A religion that started in Vietnam and spreak to Korea.
(d) A cult religion that blends Confucianism, Christianit, and Buddhism.
13. What does Fowler discover at Mr. Muoi's garage?
(a) The molds for making bombs are there.
(b) There was a note from Pyle on Muoi's desk.
(c) Muoi and his men all all gone; there is an old press there.
(d) Mr. Muoi had been shot.
14. What does Fowler ask Mr. Heng about Pyle?
(a) If Phuong is safe with Pyle.
(b) Who Pyle's chief is.
(c) How he came to meet Pyle.
(d) If Vigot has any connection to Pyle.
15. What does the second letter from Fowler's editor say?
(a) He writes that Fowler will come home or lose his job.
(b) He says Fowler can stay if he accepts a salary cut.
(c) He agrees that Fowler should stay in Saigon.
(d) He gives fowler another six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Fowler go to The Pavillon after leaving the apartment on rue Catinat?
2. When Fowler rushes out to see if he can find Phuong in the wreckage, what does Pyle tell him?
3. What does Fowler later have to admit?
4. What was York Harding's experience in Indochina?
5. Why does Vigot say that he does not believe Fowler killed Pyle?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)