|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fowler ask Mr. Heng about Pyle?
(a) Who Pyle's chief is.
(b) How he came to meet Pyle.
(c) If Phuong is safe with Pyle.
(d) If Vigot has any connection to Pyle.
2. What does Fowler think of the speech the deputy Pope of Caodaism gives him?
(a) That it is canned and insincere.
(b) That it is the hope of the Vietnamese people.
(c) That is the sincere belief of the Caodaists.
(d) That it is incomprehensible.
3. What does Mr. Heng want Fowler to do?
(a) He wants Fowler to go home and never return.
(b) He wants him to invite Pyle to dinner at the Vieux Moulin.
(c) He wants Fowler to kill Pyle.
(d) He wants Fowler to find Pyle and talk some sense into him.
4. Returning to the time after Pyle's murder, what does Vigot tell Fowler?
(a) They found Pyle's dog with its throat cut.
(b) They still have not found the dog.
(c) They know who murdered Pyle.
(d) They cremated Pyle's body.
5. What does Fowler discover at 3:00 a.m.?
(a) His apartment has been broken into.
(b) His opium has been stolen.
(c) The men from the Surete are at his door.
(d) Phuong has moved out.
6. What happens when someone comes demanding that Pyle and Fowler be brought down?
(a) Pyle says it must be a French patrol he had been expecting.
(b) Fowler is relieved that General The's men have come to get them.
(c) Fowler jumps and breaks his ankle; Pyle comes down the ladder; the tower explodes.
(d) Fowler and Pyle find a back way out and escape.
7. What is Fowler's reply to Vigot's question about who is York Harding?
(a) I don't know. I haven't read the book.
(b) A hack writer from Canada
(c) The man who killed Pyle from a long distance
(d) Pyle never got around to telling me.
8. What is Fowler's reaction when the Pope's deputy holds out his hand with a huge ring on his finger?
(a) He refuses to kiss it.
(b) He shakes the deputy's hand.
(c) He leaves the way the deputy was pointing.
(d) He wonders how many karats it was.
9. Why does Fowler want to read Phuong's thoughts?
(a) He thinks she is lonely.
(b) He thinks she is meeting Pyle.
(c) He thinks she wants to kill him.
(d) He thinks she knows something about the Vietminh.
10. How does Mr. Heng greet Fowler when he comes to visit?
(a) He is surprised that Fowler would come after the bombing.
(b) He is agitated because he was having a meeting.
(c) He tells Fowler to go away and he will contact him later.
(d) He says he is always glad to see him.
11. How does Fowler dismiss Pyle when he comes to visit?
(a) "Go away to your Third Force and play with your plastics."
(b) "Get out and grow up."
(c) "Go read some more of your York Harding books."
(d) "Get out of my house before I shoot you."
12. What did Fowler go to see in the other end of rue Catinat?
(a) An art collection
(b) An apartment for sale
(c) A new movie house
(d) A used car
13. What does Mr. Heng ask Fowler?
(a) If he really wants to stop Pyle.
(b) If Pyle is really his friend?
(c) If Pyle knows York Harding.
(d) If he has any information about Pyle.
14. What does Vigot want to do without Phuong being present?
(a) Go through Phuong's possessions
(b) Join Fowler in an opium pipe
(c) Come to Fowler's apartment and ask more questions
(d) Play a dice game
15. What comment does Vigot make when Fowler says that Pyle got mixed up.
(a) Vigot says, "That's too bad."
(b) Vigot says, "You never do, do you?"
(c) Vigot says, "Are you sure?"
(d) Vigot says, "Don't we all?"
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
2. What is Heng's answer when Fowler asks if he had anything to do with the bombing?
3. What does Fowler realize about bicycle pumps?
4. What had Pyle done that was according to Harding's book?
5. What do Caodaists' churches look like?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)