|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Captain Trouin say he hates most about the war?
(a) The dead children
(b) The night flights
(c) The napalm bombing
(d) The long hours
2. What is Fowler forced to do since Dominguez is out of commission?
(a) Attend wearisome press conferences and hobble to the Continental for gossip
(b) Stay at home and send Phuong to run errands
(c) Do his own writing to send to London
(d) Take trishaws everywhere he needs to go
3. Who gets a job for Miss Hei with the Americans?
(b) Thomas Fowler
(c) Alden Pyle
(d) Joe, the Economic Attache
4. Why does Fowler say he wants to find another flat?
(a) He doesn't need that many rooms.
(b) He plans on moving Dominguez in with him.
(c) There is too much of Phuong where he is.
(d) He's planning on bringing Helen here.
5. Returning to the time after Pyle's murder, what does Vigot tell Fowler?
(a) They still have not found the dog.
(b) They found Pyle's dog with its throat cut.
(c) They cremated Pyle's body.
(d) They know who murdered Pyle.
6. Why does Fowler tell Pyle he should have a few bad motives?
(a) So he could use them to keep Phuong.
(b) So he could understand human beings better.
(c) So he would end up in jail.
(d) So he could survive in Indochina.
7. What does Dominguez advise Fowler to do?
(a) Come and take him to the hsopital
(b) Go see what Mr. Heng received yesterday
(c) To meet Mr. Heng outside the big store on the Boulevard Charner
(d) Invite Mr. Heng to come to his house for dinner
8. Returning home, who does Fowler find in his apartment?
9. What had Pyle done that was according to Harding's book?
(a) Recruited Vietminh to form a Third Force
(b) Brought in mercenaries to be a Third Force
(c) Built up a bicycle brigad to be his Third force
(d) Formed a Third Force of 2,000 bandits and two tame tigers
10. What happens when someone comes demanding that Pyle and Fowler be brought down?
(a) Fowler is relieved that General The's men have come to get them.
(b) Fowler jumps and breaks his ankle; Pyle comes down the ladder; the tower explodes.
(c) Fowler and Pyle find a back way out and escape.
(d) Pyle says it must be a French patrol he had been expecting.
11. What does Fowler tell Vigot he should have become?
(a) A reporter
(b) A priest
(c) A magician
(d) A shop keeper
12. What is Fowler's reply to Vigot's question about who is York Harding?
(a) The man who killed Pyle from a long distance
(b) A hack writer from Canada
(c) I don't know. I haven't read the book.
(d) Pyle never got around to telling me.
13. What is behind the Holy See as one approaches Tanyin?
(a) The sacred mountain that looks like a bowler hat.
(b) The waterfalls of antiquity
(c) The palaces of the Pope of Caodaism
(d) A dark jungle
14. What is Fowler's reaction when the Pope's deputy holds out his hand with a huge ring on his finger?
(a) He shakes the deputy's hand.
(b) He leaves the way the deputy was pointing.
(c) He wonders how many karats it was.
(d) He refuses to kiss it.
15. How does Mr. Heng say he knew about the bomb in the Garnier?
(a) Pyle told him.
(b) Someone called him.
(c) The police had been to Mr. Muoi's house.
(d) It was on the radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fowler learn from Mr. Chou's manager, Mr. Heng?
2. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
3. Why does Fowler want to read Phuong's thoughts?
4. Why does Vigot say that he does not believe Fowler killed Pyle?
5. What weapon does Vigot say was used on Pyle?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)