|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Fowler run into in Tanyin?
(d) Miss Hei
2. How does Mr. Heng express his agreement with Fowler?
(a) He says he agrees that it is not safe to ask too many questions.
(b) He says he agrees that Pyle had nothing to do with the bombs.
(c) He agrees that Pyle needs to be restrained.
(d) He says he agrees that Pyle is too young.
3. When Fowler and Pyle talk, against what does Fowler warn Pyle?
(a) Believing in York's Third Force
(b) Trusting Joe too much
(c) Negotiating with the Vietminh
(d) Trusting Vigot and the Surete
4. Why does Fowler want to read Phuong's thoughts?
(a) He thinks she is lonely.
(b) He thinks she wants to kill him.
(c) He thinks she is meeting Pyle.
(d) He thinks she knows something about the Vietminh.
5. Why does Vigot say that he does not believe Fowler killed Pyle?
(a) Because one does not take a book of an enemy for a souvenir.
(b) Because Fowler's alibi checks out.
(c) Because Fowler would not have the stomach for murder.
(d) Because Fowler has been cooperative.
6. What is Fowler forced to do since Dominguez is out of commission?
(a) Take trishaws everywhere he needs to go
(b) Stay at home and send Phuong to run errands
(c) Attend wearisome press conferences and hobble to the Continental for gossip
(d) Do his own writing to send to London
7. What does the second letter from Fowler's editor say?
(a) He says Fowler can stay if he accepts a salary cut.
(b) He writes that Fowler will come home or lose his job.
(c) He agrees that Fowler should stay in Saigon.
(d) He gives fowler another six months.
8. How does Fowler dismiss Pyle when he comes to visit?
(a) "Go away to your Third Force and play with your plastics."
(b) "Go read some more of your York Harding books."
(c) "Get out and grow up."
(d) "Get out of my house before I shoot you."
9. What is Caodaism?
(a) A religious front for a counter military insurgency.
(b) A religion that started in Vietnam and spreak to Korea.
(c) A philosophy of a blend of communism and capitalism.
(d) A cult religion that blends Confucianism, Christianit, and Buddhism.
10. Returning home, who does Fowler find in his apartment?
11. What does Dominguez do when Fowler swats at a mosquito droning near his ear?
(a) He winces.
(b) He gets the bug spray.
(c) He kills it when Fowler misses.
(d) He applauds.
12. Why are Fowler and Pyle marooned in the Vietnamese tower?
(a) There is shooting down below.
(b) The rope ladder has been taken away.
(c) There is no gasoline near there.
(d) It is past curfew.
13. What does Vigot say he dislikes most about his job?
(a) Spending so much time in mortuaries
(b) The stupid people who work under him
(c) Chasing illegal gamblers
(d) All the paperwork
14. What does Captain Trouin say he hates most about the war?
(a) The napalm bombing
(b) The night flights
(c) The dead children
(d) The long hours
15. Why does Fowler go to The Pavillon after leaving the apartment on rue Catinat?
(a) To meet Joe, the Economic Attache
(b) To find Vigot and ask about Pyle
(c) To avoid seeing Phuong at the Milk Fountain
(d) To see if Phuong is there
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does Pyle offer Fowler in Tanyin?
2. What does Fowler think of the speech the deputy Pope of Caodaism gives him?
3. What weapon does Vigot say was used on Pyle?
4. What do Caodaists' churches look like?
5. How does Mr. Heng say he knew about the bomb in the Garnier?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)