|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the two American girls hastily leave The Pavillon?
(a) Warren had warned them not to stay past eleven o'clock.
(b) One of them had a date at the movies.
(c) They were hurrying to a hair salon appointment.
(d) They were going to a parade.
2. What did Fowler go to see in the other end of rue Catinat?
(a) A new movie house
(b) An art collection
(c) An apartment for sale
(d) A used car
3. Why are Fowler and Pyle marooned in the Vietnamese tower?
(a) The rope ladder has been taken away.
(b) There is no gasoline near there.
(c) There is shooting down below.
(d) It is past curfew.
4. What does Mr. Heng say that reminds him of Captain Trouin?
(a) "War is hell."
(b) "Forget the carnage and think of the future."
(c) "Sooner or later, one has to take sides if one is to remain human."
(d) "We do what we have to do."
5. What is Fowler's reaction when the Pope's deputy holds out his hand with a huge ring on his finger?
(a) He wonders how many karats it was.
(b) He refuses to kiss it.
(c) He leaves the way the deputy was pointing.
(d) He shakes the deputy's hand.
6. What does Captain Trouin say he hates most about the war?
(a) The napalm bombing
(b) The night flights
(c) The long hours
(d) The dead children
7. What is Heng's answer when Fowler asks if he had anything to do with the bombing?
(a) He says he would not be so stupid.
(b) He says it is up to the police to find the culprit.
(c) He says Fowler should not ask too many questions.
(d) He says he was nowhere near the Garnier.
8. When Fowler's car runs out of gas, what does he have to do to get to a Vietnamese lookout?
(a) He and Pyle puch the car a hundred meters down the road.
(b) He honks his horn with a secret signal.
(c) He climbs a rope ladder and is terrified.
(d) He blinks his car lights to draw attention.
9. Who gets a job for Miss Hei with the Americans?
(a) Alden Pyle
(c) Thomas Fowler
(d) Joe, the Economic Attache
10. How does Mr. Heng say he knew about the bomb in the Garnier?
(a) It was on the radio.
(b) Pyle told him.
(c) Someone called him.
(d) The police had been to Mr. Muoi's house.
11. Who are the cardinals of Caodaism?
(a) They are soldiers in disguise.
(b) They are all women.
(c) They are men from the villages.
(d) They are monkeys from the sacred mountain.
12. What is Fowler's reply to Vigot's question about who is York Harding?
(a) I don't know. I haven't read the book.
(b) Pyle never got around to telling me.
(c) The man who killed Pyle from a long distance
(d) A hack writer from Canada
13. What does Fowler discover at 3:00 a.m.?
(a) His opium has been stolen.
(b) His apartment has been broken into.
(c) The men from the Surete are at his door.
(d) Phuong has moved out.
14. When Fowler rushes out to see if he can find Phuong in the wreckage, what does Pyle tell him?
(a) Get out of here, there's nothing you can do!
(b) Phuong is at the attache's office.
(c) Go home, Phuong is waiting there.
(d) She's not there, I warned her not to go.
15. When Fowler and Pyle talk, against what does Fowler warn Pyle?
(a) Trusting Vigot and the Surete
(b) Negotiating with the Vietminh
(c) Trusting Joe too much
(d) Believing in York's Third Force
Short Answer Questions
1. What is behind the Holy See as one approaches Tanyin?
2. What had Pyle done that was according to Harding's book?
3. What was York Harding's experience in Indochina?
4. When Pyle arrives, why does he say he is surprised that Fowler gave him an invitation to visit?
5. After Fowler leaves a message for Pyle, what does he think he might accomplish?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)