|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in the present time, what does Fowler do to get Phuong out of the house when Vigot arrives?
(a) He sends her to the movies.
(b) He sends her to her sister.
(c) He hides her in a back room.
(d) He hide her under his bed.
2. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
(a) Miss Hei
(b) Mr. Heng
(d) Joe, the Economic Attache
3. Why does Vigot say that he does not believe Fowler killed Pyle?
(a) Because Fowler would not have the stomach for murder.
(b) Because one does not take a book of an enemy for a souvenir.
(c) Because Fowler has been cooperative.
(d) Because Fowler's alibi checks out.
4. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
(a) As an ugly American
(b) As an important government official
(c) As a remnant of the old colonialists
(d) As an idealist like Pyle
5. What does Mr. Heng say that reminds him of Captain Trouin?
(a) "We do what we have to do."
(b) "Forget the carnage and think of the future."
(c) "War is hell."
(d) "Sooner or later, one has to take sides if one is to remain human."
6. Why does Fowler say he wants to find another flat?
(a) He doesn't need that many rooms.
(b) He plans on moving Dominguez in with him.
(c) He's planning on bringing Helen here.
(d) There is too much of Phuong where he is.
7. Who does Fowler run into in Tanyin?
(a) Miss Hei
8. Who are the cardinals of Caodaism?
(a) They are all women.
(b) They are monkeys from the sacred mountain.
(c) They are soldiers in disguise.
(d) They are men from the villages.
9. How does Fowler dismiss Pyle when he comes to visit?
(a) "Go away to your Third Force and play with your plastics."
(b) "Go read some more of your York Harding books."
(c) "Get out of my house before I shoot you."
(d) "Get out and grow up."
10. When Pyle arrives, why does he say he is surprised that Fowler gave him an invitation to visit?
(a) He thought Fowler wanted to apologize.
(b) He thought Fowler had realized Pyle's good work.
(c) He thought Fowler wanted to talk about Phuong.
(d) He thought Fowler was mad at him.
11. What does Dominguez advise Fowler to do?
(a) Invite Mr. Heng to come to his house for dinner
(b) To meet Mr. Heng outside the big store on the Boulevard Charner
(c) Come and take him to the hsopital
(d) Go see what Mr. Heng received yesterday
12. Who gets a job for Miss Hei with the Americans?
(a) Joe, the Economic Attache
(c) Alden Pyle
(d) Thomas Fowler
13. Who is rumored to be on the mountain?
(a) The Pope's harem of 3,000 women
(b) General The and his troops
(c) A French radar unit
(d) The Buddha, Christ and Confucious
14. What was York Harding's experience in Indochina?
(a) Harding got his information from refugees who came to America.
(b) He had been there for one week once on his way from Bangkok to Tokoyo.
(c) Harding had never set foot in Vietnam.
(d) Harding used French press reports to write his book.
15. What does Vigot want Fowler to tell him?
(a) That Pyle told Fowler who was trying to murder him.
(b) That Pyle had told him what he was doing in Indochina.
(c) That he had been keeping Pyle's dog for a week.
(d) That he had seen Pyle the night he was murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Heng say he knew about the bomb in the Garnier?
2. What does Fowler discover at 3:00 a.m.?
3. What weapon does Vigot say was used on Pyle?
4. What does Fowler ask Mr. Heng about Pyle?
5. What does Fowler tell Vigot he should have become?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)