|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When someone does knock on Fowler's door, who is it?
(c) Mr. Chou
2. What do Caodaists' churches look like?
(a) Pink and blue with a huge eye of God over the door
(b) Green domes with a hole in the top
(c) Golden pagodas
(d) Stone squares with minarets at the four corners
3. What does Mr. Heng ask Fowler?
(a) If he has any information about Pyle.
(b) If he really wants to stop Pyle.
(c) If Pyle knows York Harding.
(d) If Pyle is really his friend?
4. Back in the present time, what does Fowler do to get Phuong out of the house when Vigot arrives?
(a) He sends her to the movies.
(b) He hides her in a back room.
(c) He hide her under his bed.
(d) He sends her to her sister.
5. What is Fowler's reply to Vigot's question about who is York Harding?
(a) Pyle never got around to telling me.
(b) The man who killed Pyle from a long distance
(c) A hack writer from Canada
(d) I don't know. I haven't read the book.
6. What happens right after the American girls leave The Pavillon?
(a) It begins to rain heavily.
(b) A French woman comes to Fowler's table.
(c) Pyle enters with a disguised General The.
(d) A bomb goes off near the bar.
7. Who are the cardinals of Caodaism?
(a) They are soldiers in disguise.
(b) They are men from the villages.
(c) They are all women.
(d) They are monkeys from the sacred mountain.
8. Who does Fowler run into in Tanyin?
(d) Miss Hei
9. What has made Vigot's day so long and tiring?
(a) Petty thefts and a few suicides
(b) Meetings with the French Embassy
(c) Catching up on paperwork
(d) Murder and sudden deaths
10. What does Phuong give Fowler after he gets home?
(a) An opened telegram and the unopened letter from his wife.
(b) A massage.
(c) An opium pipe.
(d) A marriage ultimatum.
11. How does Fowler dismiss Pyle when he comes to visit?
(a) "Go away to your Third Force and play with your plastics."
(b) "Go read some more of your York Harding books."
(c) "Get out and grow up."
(d) "Get out of my house before I shoot you."
12. What does Mr. Heng say that reminds him of Captain Trouin?
(a) "Sooner or later, one has to take sides if one is to remain human."
(b) "We do what we have to do."
(c) "War is hell."
(d) "Forget the carnage and think of the future."
13. What does Fowler later have to admit?
(a) That Pyle followed his instructions to the letter.
(b) That Phuong would have been better off with Pyle.
(c) That Pyle was really the better man.
(d) That he had sent Pyle on a fool's errand.
14. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
(a) Joe, the Economic Attache
(c) Mr. Heng
(d) Miss Hei
15. Why does Fowler want to read Phuong's thoughts?
(a) He thinks she is lonely.
(b) He thinks she is meeting Pyle.
(c) He thinks she wants to kill him.
(d) He thinks she knows something about the Vietminh.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
2. What does Fowler learn from Mr. Chou's manager, Mr. Heng?
3. What does Fowler wish he had the courage for after Vigot leaves?
4. What happens when someone comes demanding that Pyle and Fowler be brought down?
5. What does Fowler think of the speech the deputy Pope of Caodaism gives him?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)