|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Fowler forced to do since Dominguez is out of commission?
(a) Take trishaws everywhere he needs to go
(b) Stay at home and send Phuong to run errands
(c) Attend wearisome press conferences and hobble to the Continental for gossip
(d) Do his own writing to send to London
2. Why does Fowler want to read Phuong's thoughts?
(a) He thinks she is meeting Pyle.
(b) He thinks she knows something about the Vietminh.
(c) He thinks she wants to kill him.
(d) He thinks she is lonely.
3. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
(a) As an important government official
(b) As an idealist like Pyle
(c) As a remnant of the old colonialists
(d) As an ugly American
4. What does Fowler realize about bicycle pumps?
(a) They were used to inflate rafts.
(b) They were being replaced with rifle mounts.
(c) They could be made into makeshift mortar firers.
(d) The mold at Mr. Muoi's iss shaped like a half section of a bicycle pump.
5. How does Mr. Heng greet Fowler when he comes to visit?
(a) He tells Fowler to go away and he will contact him later.
(b) He is agitated because he was having a meeting.
(c) He says he is always glad to see him.
(d) He is surprised that Fowler would come after the bombing.
6. What happens right after the American girls leave The Pavillon?
(a) A bomb goes off near the bar.
(b) It begins to rain heavily.
(c) Pyle enters with a disguised General The.
(d) A French woman comes to Fowler's table.
7. What is Fowler's reaction when the Pope's deputy holds out his hand with a huge ring on his finger?
(a) He leaves the way the deputy was pointing.
(b) He shakes the deputy's hand.
(c) He refuses to kiss it.
(d) He wonders how many karats it was.
8. Who does Fowler run into in Tanyin?
(c) Miss Hei
9. How does Mr. Heng express his agreement with Fowler?
(a) He says he agrees that Pyle is too young.
(b) He says he agrees that it is not safe to ask too many questions.
(c) He says he agrees that Pyle had nothing to do with the bombs.
(d) He agrees that Pyle needs to be restrained.
10. What does Fowler wish he had the courage for after Vigot leaves?
(a) To make his own opium pipe
(b) To pack up and leave Indochina
(c) To commit suicide
(d) To call and say, "I did see Pyle that night."
11. What does the second letter from Fowler's editor say?
(a) He gives fowler another six months.
(b) He writes that Fowler will come home or lose his job.
(c) He says Fowler can stay if he accepts a salary cut.
(d) He agrees that Fowler should stay in Saigon.
12. What happens when someone comes demanding that Pyle and Fowler be brought down?
(a) Pyle says it must be a French patrol he had been expecting.
(b) Fowler is relieved that General The's men have come to get them.
(c) Fowler and Pyle find a back way out and escape.
(d) Fowler jumps and breaks his ankle; Pyle comes down the ladder; the tower explodes.
13. What does Dominguez do when Fowler swats at a mosquito droning near his ear?
(a) He winces.
(b) He applauds.
(c) He gets the bug spray.
(d) He kills it when Fowler misses.
14. When Fowler and Pyle talk, against what does Fowler warn Pyle?
(a) Believing in York's Third Force
(b) Trusting Vigot and the Surete
(c) Trusting Joe too much
(d) Negotiating with the Vietminh
15. Back in the present time, what does Fowler do to get Phuong out of the house when Vigot arrives?
(a) He hide her under his bed.
(b) He hides her in a back room.
(c) He sends her to the movies.
(d) He sends her to her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pyle accuse Fowler of doing to keep Phuong for himself?
2. What is Caodaism?
3. What did Fowler go to see in the other end of rue Catinat?
4. Why does Fowler tell Pyle he should have a few bad motives?
5. What does Mr. Heng ask Fowler?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)