|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Fowler rushes out to see if he can find Phuong in the wreckage, what does Pyle tell him?
(a) She's not there, I warned her not to go.
(b) Go home, Phuong is waiting there.
(c) Phuong is at the attache's office.
(d) Get out of here, there's nothing you can do!
2. What does Vigot want to do without Phuong being present?
(a) Join Fowler in an opium pipe
(b) Go through Phuong's possessions
(c) Play a dice game
(d) Come to Fowler's apartment and ask more questions
3. Who are the cardinals of Caodaism?
(a) They are soldiers in disguise.
(b) They are monkeys from the sacred mountain.
(c) They are all women.
(d) They are men from the villages.
4. What does Pyle accuse Fowler of doing to keep Phuong for himself?
(c) Getting her pregnant
(d) Bribing Miss Hei
5. Why does Vigot say that he does not believe Fowler killed Pyle?
(a) Because Fowler's alibi checks out.
(b) Because one does not take a book of an enemy for a souvenir.
(c) Because Fowler would not have the stomach for murder.
(d) Because Fowler has been cooperative.
6. Why does Fowler go to The Pavillon after leaving the apartment on rue Catinat?
(a) To avoid seeing Phuong at the Milk Fountain
(b) To see if Phuong is there
(c) To find Vigot and ask about Pyle
(d) To meet Joe, the Economic Attache
7. What does Mr. Heng want Fowler to do?
(a) He wants Fowler to go home and never return.
(b) He wants him to invite Pyle to dinner at the Vieux Moulin.
(c) He wants Fowler to find Pyle and talk some sense into him.
(d) He wants Fowler to kill Pyle.
8. What does Mr. Heng say that reminds him of Captain Trouin?
(a) "War is hell."
(b) "Forget the carnage and think of the future."
(c) "Sooner or later, one has to take sides if one is to remain human."
(d) "We do what we have to do."
9. How does Mr. Heng express his agreement with Fowler?
(a) He says he agrees that Pyle is too young.
(b) He says he agrees that Pyle had nothing to do with the bombs.
(c) He says he agrees that it is not safe to ask too many questions.
(d) He agrees that Pyle needs to be restrained.
10. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
(a) As an ugly American
(b) As an important government official
(c) As an idealist like Pyle
(d) As a remnant of the old colonialists
11. What does Vigot say he dislikes most about his job?
(a) Chasing illegal gamblers
(b) Spending so much time in mortuaries
(c) All the paperwork
(d) The stupid people who work under him
12. How does Mr. Heng say he knew about the bomb in the Garnier?
(a) Pyle told him.
(b) Someone called him.
(c) It was on the radio.
(d) The police had been to Mr. Muoi's house.
13. What does Fowler think of the speech the deputy Pope of Caodaism gives him?
(a) That it is incomprehensible.
(b) That is the sincere belief of the Caodaists.
(c) That it is canned and insincere.
(d) That it is the hope of the Vietnamese people.
14. When Fowler and Pyle talk, against what does Fowler warn Pyle?
(a) Trusting Vigot and the Surete
(b) Trusting Joe too much
(c) Negotiating with the Vietminh
(d) Believing in York's Third Force
15. What does the second letter from Fowler's editor say?
(a) He agrees that Fowler should stay in Saigon.
(b) He writes that Fowler will come home or lose his job.
(c) He says Fowler can stay if he accepts a salary cut.
(d) He gives fowler another six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Heng's answer when Fowler asks if he had anything to do with the bombing?
2. What does Vigot want Fowler to tell him?
3. Why does Fowler say he wants to find another flat?
4. What happens when someone comes demanding that Pyle and Fowler be brought down?
5. Why does Phuong open the telegram before Fowler gets home?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)