|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vigot say that he does not believe Fowler killed Pyle?
(a) Because Fowler would not have the stomach for murder.
(b) Because Fowler's alibi checks out.
(c) Because Fowler has been cooperative.
(d) Because one does not take a book of an enemy for a souvenir.
2. Returning home, who does Fowler find in his apartment?
3. What was wrong with the bombing that day?
(a) Several Americans were killed accidentally.
(b) Pyle did not know they had cancelled the parade which was the main target.
(c) It was supposed to go off in the officers quarters.
(d) It was more powerful than they had planned.
4. Why does Fowler want to read Phuong's thoughts?
(a) He thinks she is lonely.
(b) He thinks she is meeting Pyle.
(c) He thinks she wants to kill him.
(d) He thinks she knows something about the Vietminh.
5. When Fowler and Pyle talk, against what does Fowler warn Pyle?
(a) Trusting Vigot and the Surete
(b) Trusting Joe too much
(c) Believing in York's Third Force
(d) Negotiating with the Vietminh
6. What does Fowler discover at Mr. Muoi's garage?
(a) There was a note from Pyle on Muoi's desk.
(b) Mr. Muoi had been shot.
(c) The molds for making bombs are there.
(d) Muoi and his men all all gone; there is an old press there.
7. What comment does Vigot make when Fowler says that Pyle got mixed up.
(a) Vigot says, "Are you sure?"
(b) Vigot says, "Don't we all?"
(c) Vigot says, "That's too bad."
(d) Vigot says, "You never do, do you?"
8. How does Mr. Heng express his agreement with Fowler?
(a) He agrees that Pyle needs to be restrained.
(b) He says he agrees that Pyle had nothing to do with the bombs.
(c) He says he agrees that Pyle is too young.
(d) He says he agrees that it is not safe to ask too many questions.
9. When someone does knock on Fowler's door, who is it?
(a) Mr. Chou
10. Why does Fowler tell Pyle he should have a few bad motives?
(a) So he would end up in jail.
(b) So he could survive in Indochina.
(c) So he could use them to keep Phuong.
(d) So he could understand human beings better.
11. What takes Fowler's mind off Pyle and Phuong for a few minutes?
(a) He goes along on a French air raid.
(b) He overdoses on opium.
(c) He has his cast removed.
(d) He witnesses a murder on the rue Catinat.
12. What has happened to Fowler's assistant, Dominguez?
(a) He has been kidnapped.
(b) He is in a coma.
(c) He has become ill and cannot work.
(d) He has deserted to the Vietminh.
13. What did Fowler go to see in the other end of rue Catinat?
(a) An apartment for sale
(b) An art collection
(c) A used car
(d) A new movie house
14. Why does Pyle want to take Phuong to America to get married?
(a) He wants to get her as far away from Fowler as he can.
(b) He thinks an Indochina marriage might not be legal.
(c) He thinks Phuong deserves a big, expenisve wedding.
(d) He thinks his mother would be there to acclimate Phuong.
15. When Fowler rushes out to see if he can find Phuong in the wreckage, what does Pyle tell him?
(a) She's not there, I warned her not to go.
(b) Get out of here, there's nothing you can do!
(c) Phuong is at the attache's office.
(d) Go home, Phuong is waiting there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets a job for Miss Hei with the Americans?
2. How does Fowler dismiss Pyle when he comes to visit?
3. What does Mr. Heng ask Fowler?
4. What does Fowler tell Vigot he should have become?
5. What is Caodaism?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)